U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2015, 11:40 AM

20,748 posts, read 10,057,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
For the most part (I hesitate to say that), the roles are flipped. People who wanted Confederate flag censorship don't want Muslim attire censorship, and vice-versa. I made the observation that some of the same people that were against Confederate flag censorship would not support the right or prefer Muslims to not wear their attire in public.

The desire for consistency is not difficult to understand.

Does that make sense? That is some incredibly backwards thinking, and that is dangerous. Have you ever heard the saying, "two wrongs don't make a right"?? Neither situation is O.K.

My goodness.

Because it's not about rights, it's about hate. Pretty consistent, I'd say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 11:48 AM

18,574 posts, read 9,599,486 times
To all Highly ignorant Liberal apologists for Muslim rapists and killers. Do you have any idea whatsoever of what a Fascist is...here is the definition... way of organizing a society in which a government ruled by a dictator controls the lives of the people and in which people are not allowed to disagree with the government It's only Liberals that want to give all authority to a Leader or Government to stop free speech that can qualify as Fascist.

Old 12-09-2015, 12:03 PM

20,748 posts, read 10,057,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
To all Highly ignorant Liberal apologists for Muslim rapists and killers. Do you have any idea whatsoever of what a Fascist is...here is the definition... way of organizing a society in which a government ruled by a dictator controls the lives of the people and in which people are not allowed to disagree with the government It's only Liberals that want to give all authority to a Leader or Government to stop free speech that can qualify as Fascist.

This is where you lose all credibility. Defending these Americans translates into apologists for Muslim rapists and killers? That's funny, coming from someone calling others ignorant.

Read the thread on immigration and you'll see some of us are against letting any more Muslims into the country. So no, I doubt anyone here not bashing these women for wearing head scarves are making excuses for Muslim thugs. Nice try, but those dots don't connect. And some of us hate liberals, so wth are you going on about?

Old 12-09-2015, 12:07 PM

806 posts, read 512,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Istanbul is not in Iran, which was the specific focus of the post that you quoted. And while Turkey has historically been decidedly more Westernized in its secularism, that too is changing. Islamic conservatism has affected women in Turkey and even in Istanbul, particularly in the past five years. This alarms me. As a woman, I simply want to see Muslim women move forward, not backward.
The worm of an inbred moslem woman who attacked and killed innocent people with her husband was "devout" and "religious". Seriously? ? Is that what that cult teaches? Short answer is yes. And those who go on to claim it's only a tiny minority, go read polls upon polls of moslems to realize moderate Islamist is as extinct as the dodo bird.

Old 12-09-2015, 12:10 PM

1,256 posts, read 697,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
This is where you lose all credibility. Defending these Americans translates into apologists for Muslim rapists and killers? That's funny, coming from someone calling others ignorant.

Read the thread on immigration and you'll see some of us are against letting any more Muslims into the country. So no, I doubt anyone here not bashing these women for wearing head scarves are making excuses for Muslim thugs. Nice try, but those dots don't connect. And some of us hate liberals, so wth are you going on about?
Agree with the first part of your post whole-heartedly. As a liberal, I'm sorry you hate me, but you are right on as to whether this is fascism.

Old 12-09-2015, 12:49 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,876,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Istanbul is not in Iran, which was the specific focus of the post that you quoted. And while Turkey has historically been decidedly more Westernized in its secularism, that too is changing. Islamic conservatism has affected women in Turkey and even in Istanbul, particularly in the past five years. This alarms me. As a woman, I simply want to see Muslim women move forward, not backward.
Turkey is not westernized. It is a Muslim country in western Asia. A small slice of that country is on the southeastern European continent. It is also a politically secular (but not culturally secular) country.

Most predominately Muslim countries are part of the developing world. They are not rich countries. The gender ratio in higher education, an (imperfect) measure of the status of women in a country, shows the following:

Turkey 0.86 (rising slightly over the last 5 years)
Tunisia 1.62
Egypt 0.89
Indonesia 1.03
Iran 0.94
Kuwait 2.24
Saudi Arabia 1.04

Another measure, Grant Thornton's International Business Report, suggests that by one measure, women in senior management positions, the United States is doing quite poorly in gender parity in comparison to other parts of the world (2014):

US 20%
Turkey 30%
Singapore 27%
Japan 7%
Germany 31%
China 51%

Old 12-09-2015, 01:02 PM

18,574 posts, read 9,599,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Turkey is not westernized. It is a Muslim country in western Asia. A small slice of that country is on the southeastern European continent. It is also a politically secular (but not culturally secular) country.

Most predominately Muslim countries are part of the developing world. They are not rich countries. The gender ratio in higher education, an (imperfect) measure of the status of women in a country, shows the following:

Turkey 0.86 (rising slightly over the last 5 years)
Tunisia 1.62
Egypt 0.89
Indonesia 1.03
Iran 0.94
Kuwait 2.24
Saudi Arabia 1.04

Another measure, Grant Thornton's International Business Report, suggests that by one measure, women in senior management positions, the United States is doing quite poorly in gender parity in comparison to other parts of the world (2014):

US 20%
Turkey 30%
Singapore 27%
Japan 7%
Germany 31%
China 51%
Yes, so enlightened are the Saudis. I worked there for 18 months. Women cannot work, cannot drive, are beaten for wearing garb the sadistic religious police don't like, cannot go anywhere unless under the supervision of an adult male, and if they are raped, are stoned to death or prosecuted for their 'crimes.'

Old 12-09-2015, 01:14 PM

1,256 posts, read 697,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yes, so enlightened are the Saudis. I worked there for 18 months. Women cannot work, cannot drive, are beaten for wearing garb the sadistic religious police don't like, cannot go anywhere unless under the supervision of an adult male, and if they are raped, are stoned to death or prosecuted for their 'crimes.'
I must have missed the part where anyone called the Saudis enlightened?

The fact is, though, that the issue of women's rights worldwide is more nuanced than some would like to believe.

Old 12-09-2015, 01:27 PM

806 posts, read 512,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
I must have missed the part where anyone called the Saudis enlightened?

The fact is, though, that the issue of women's rights worldwide is more nuanced than some would like to believe.
Nope, it is painfully clear as to where the issue of women's rights is most in peril - look at ANY Islamic cultist majority (sorry excuses of a) nation and it is there for ALL to see. They hate women and freedom of minorities, they abuse animals in the name of halal (another yet very important topic) and they promote terrorism.

Did I remember to say Islamic nations abuse their women the most by controlling even what they wear??

Old 12-09-2015, 01:32 PM

10,102 posts, read 6,326,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I don't want to start a new thread for this so I'll just pose this question here. Do radical Muslims hate Dubai and the UAE? These people hate America, Christianity and Western culture yet Dubai is little more than a Muslim city greatly capitalizing on catering to the same kinds of people radicals hate. Wouldn't these radicals think of people in the Dubai as traitors or something?
The UAE recently outlawed religious discrimination, no hate speech or written propaganda allowed. I doubt they would do that if radical Muslims liked them. They also listed the Muslim Brotherhood as a terror group, along with about 80 others. I've never been there though, so perhaps someone else can better answer your question. (good question btw)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or