U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-09-2015, 07:34 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
1,256 posts, read 696,398 times
Reputation: 1432

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
..
Hate was a strong word. I should have said avoided....lol.

And, of course, I didn't mean YOU, my neighbor to the north! You seem sane. Must be those strong midwest values.
Haha! I definitely try for sanity. We're all good, neighbor! 👍
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-09-2015, 10:36 PM
 
28,206 posts, read 20,744,351 times
Reputation: 16599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
My goodness, you seem awfully worked-up. Maybe you ought to just leave the thread if it brings you so much angst. People say and do dumb things and disagree with one another. It's just life. Rise above it and don't succumb to it if you truly want to be an enlightened better person. Instead, all I see is you wallowing in the mud with everyone else and complaining that people are not more like you.
Ding ding ding! We have a winner folks!

You're damned right I'm worked up. I am sick and tired of people thinking its okay to treat others like **** because they don't like how they look, what they worship, who they are married to, etc.

Its not okay and its "just life" because people accept it as such. We do not have to be cruel to one another.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2015, 10:37 PM
 
28,206 posts, read 20,744,351 times
Reputation: 16599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Then we are in agreement, I don't care what religious practices one chooses provided it doesn't hurt others...unfortunately, Islam allows raping young infidel girls, so that's why it belongs in its own category and why that Muslim garb is offensive.
:sigh: The Bible also includes many rules, violent and disgusting, that almost no one follows. The same as Koran. Why must you ban an entire religion and group because of nitwits? Why not punish the people who are actually doing something wrong?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2015, 10:39 PM
 
28,206 posts, read 20,744,351 times
Reputation: 16599
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Then who ARE you talking about? Because I see very few Christians behaving in such vile ways as so many Muslims are doing. A few isolated cases of murdering abortionists is about as extreme as we get. (And no, I am NOT defending that; and neither is almost anyone else.) And yeah, there's the Westboro Baptist crowd -- who are as roundly condemned in Christian circles as anywhere else. So please tell me which Christian groups in America are behaving in any manner that is even remotely similar to that of all too many Muslims, because I'm not seeing it.
Who I am talking about?

I am talking about the Conservative Christians who want to turn our democracy into a theocracy. If you think those idiots won't stoop to violence, you are wrong. They are just a bit behind their ISIS brethren.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2015, 10:40 PM
 
28,206 posts, read 20,744,351 times
Reputation: 16599
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast_CA View Post
Sorry it hurts Islamic cultists' sentiments when people don't think potato sack over the head isn't as sexy as moslem mullahs make it out to be. Darned.


As for the picture you cobbled together, Mother Teresa never killed people with machine guns. LOL
Nor have billions of Muslims.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2015, 10:42 PM
 
28,206 posts, read 20,744,351 times
Reputation: 16599
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast_CA View Post
If you cannot differentiate between an Islamic cultist and a catholic nun then its not America's problem.
The fact that you DO differentiate between a Christian/Catholic nun and two American Muslim women is quite alarming. And revealing.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2015, 10:44 PM
 
28,206 posts, read 20,744,351 times
Reputation: 16599
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Even if there is a comparison, I wouldn't tell others to stop disrespecting the guys in the KKK outfits. I mean, come on. Lay it on them, I think it's deserving. Seriously.
Your comparison only works if the KKK uniform is standard dress outside of the extremism. It doesn't so your analogy fails.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2015, 11:15 PM
 
14,199 posts, read 6,110,494 times
Reputation: 8850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Who I am talking about?

I am talking about the Conservative Christians who want to turn our democracy into a theocracy. If you think those idiots won't stoop to violence, you are wrong. They are just a bit behind their ISIS brethren.
You're talking about a group that exists only in your head. What laws have conservatives passed that forces you to go to church, pray, or get fired or passed over for government contracts if you're not a Christian? Don't talk about pro-lifers because they're about preserving life and don't believe the arbitrary idea that life miraculously begins once the growing fetus leaves the womb. I'm not against abortion, but I can understand why people are. The stance on same-sex marriage was the only thing that came close to fighting against something based on purely religious reasons. Thankfully, that has been decided by the court so I think people will make little waves about it here and there, use it to win elections, but it will never be as big of a polarizing issue as abortion. Maybe someday they will realize it's not going to break the moral fabric of this country or destroy the institution of marriage.

To say Conservative Christians are just a "bit behind their ISIS brethren" is not only insulting, it is dangerously wrong. You can't fight an enemy by refusing to acknowledge what it is. ISIS beheads people, makes slaves of people, burns and buries people alive, including small children, and wants to conquer the world. Christians at worst want to tell others they shouldn't marry someone because their bible says it's a sin. At best, Christians raise money and feed the poor, go to other countries and work as missionaries. They're more service oriented than a lot of people.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2015, 11:33 PM
 
Location: California
30,701 posts, read 33,473,253 times
Reputation: 26123
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Alien? I think xenophobic fits...not these women but to people who react to scarves or any other sort of religious garb. I don't know where you live, but I live in Dallas and it's completely within the norm here (and Austin) to see women wearing hijabs. That's the case now and it was the case prior to Paris and even 9-11. Are they supposed to stop wearing them as to not "provoke" uneducated fools?
I live in liberal land and have always been suspicious of anything smelling of religiosity. Rightly so as it turns out. Experience shows me most of the time people are hiding behind it, whether it's a scarf or a bible. Wanting to look "good" when they aren't is usually the mildest form, but obviously it goes farther with fundies of all creeds.

I don't approach anyone over their faith, but they do get in my space from time to time with it and I don't have to respect any of it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2015, 12:55 AM
 
Location: Not-a-Theist
3,440 posts, read 1,583,450 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
UT student, friend leave Kerbey Lane amid anti-Muslim backlash from other customers - Story | KTBC

I hate to even pause on this one... on the one hand I feel sorry for these 2 women. On the other hand, I can't help but feel surprised that they're so surprised this happened - given the news lately. They're putting themselves out there by wearing those scarves and making a statement. They have a right to do it, but if someone doesn't like it, it makes the news.
Personally I would not do what the man in the café had done.


However, when one adorn a 'symbol of hate/violence' it is only natural a percentile [say 5%] of the other party will react negatively toward that hate/violence symbol. Those who lash out at the other party [in the case the 2 women] sort of lack impulse control, especially after 14 are killed and many other wounded within one's own country by those of the same citizenship. They just cannot hold it and rationalize the situation just as the terrorists who cannot control their murderous impulses.


Here is why the hijab is a hate symbol as explain by Dr. Bill Warner [he had spent 30 years studying Islam].



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQEcEYtWYB0
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top