U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2015, 12:49 PM

15,734 posts, read 9,253,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
UT student, friend leave Kerbey Lane amid anti-Muslim backlash from other customers - Story | KTBC

I hate to even pause on this one... on the one hand I feel sorry for these 2 women. On the other hand, I can't help but feel surprised that they're so surprised this happened - given the news lately. They're putting themselves out there by wearing those scarves and making a statement. They have a right to do it, but if someone doesn't like it, it makes the news.
This is what happens when you come to a FREE country. Where people are FREE to say whatever they want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Those scarves are part of their religious beliefs.

It bothers me that people think its just fine to tell people to leave our country because of dislike of one's dress or religion. WTF is wrong with this country?
You are free to be bothered. People are also free to voice their dislike of someone's dress or religion or hair or clothes.

There's nothing wrong. It's called freedom.

Old 12-08-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
I didn't say it was their right to discriminate. What I said is that I am surprised they are so surprised.

The news headlines don't stop at the US borders. Every single day we're "treated" to some form of terror by the same group. Sometimes, it's several times a day.
Commenting is not discrimination. Were they asked to leave? Were they refused service?

Old 12-08-2015, 01:02 PM

8,232 posts, read 2,435,012 times
Quote:
Those scarves are part of their religious beliefs.

It bothers me that people think its just fine to tell people to leave our country because of dislike of one's dress or religion. WTF is wrong with this country?
People like you who believe we should be forced to live with people we don't want to live with. Things like this are what separate countries are for.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:10 PM

21,920 posts, read 21,729,557 times
Quote:
When will people realize that condoning actions such as calling others out in public for wearing things they don't like is indicative of a larger problem?
Quote:
Maybe they aren't surprised.

Maybe they are sick and tired of being judged by ignorant people. Maybe they just want to live their lives quietly and peacefully like the rest of us. Maybe they just want to go outside without being targeted and criticized because of the words and acts of others.

I, personally, applaud their decision to go public. We need more people to stand up against this dangerous and toxic environment we are creating.

Yet if someone wears or flies certain things like say the image of the confederate flag the whole frigging country is offended, merchandise pulled from the shelves, TV shows canceled people fired.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:12 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,917,969 times
I do not get mad when people tell me to go back to Europe, I think its funny.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:12 PM

8,232 posts, read 2,435,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
"It's not against the law to be an ahole and say stupid things. These were hurtful words, not a physical attack. There is a difference!"

Actually it is. In Texas simple assault is exactly that.

Assault by provocative or offensive contact refers to an act that does not cause physical injury or pain but is upsetting or causes the victim to feel violated. Simple Assault in Texas | Criminal Law

No, you are way off base. "Contact" means the state or condition of physical touching.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:33 PM

13,612 posts, read 10,305,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
It is not about 15 min fame or getting on news. Its about awareness. If this loud mouth jerk said rude things to this girl without anyone questioning him, next time he will do the same to someone else & then someone else. Soon he will feel so good about yelling/telling off young Muslim's that one day his desire/hate could escalate to physically attacking them (like that guy that shoot 3 Muslim student in NCS). Or the reverse he could be bullying this young girl every time she walks on campus that she seeks revenge.

There are thousand other men/women like him who think they can say/do whatever they want because Donald Trump is on their side. Reporting this type of behavior & getting the public aware of it will help prevent something drastic from happening from either side. Imagine all the hipster that were sitting in café reflecting on their silence after hearing it on news. I am sure few people will change their mind about "minding my own business". Things need to be reported and awareness needs to be raised for seemingly innocent act. Because small drops of water create big ocean
Don't worry. Loudmouths like that tend to **** off the wrong person eventually.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:36 PM

2,519 posts, read 3,508,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I live in Austin and am familiar with the restaurant where this incident took place. My only bias is against crowd-think kneejerk reaction to events such as this. It's very important to read past headlines and be thoughtful and careful with ones' thinking in response to incidents like this. Lead with your head, not your heart.

I seriously doubt the man in question was familiar with their on-campus activities. He was probably just an idiot. I mentioned them because I feel it helps illustrate a point that these women were no shrinking helpless violets being beaten down by a mob of angry Muslim-haters. They are local college students with public Facebook pages who are part of an anti-Israel movement that is active in shooting down the free speech rights of visiting professors on their own campus, and yet they were very quick to run to the media to complain over hurtful words thrown their own way. Because at the end of the day, that is all this was ... hurtful words. Which are protected by our Constitution whether we like hearing them or not. I am concerned of the growing movement to stifle free speech that's not popular to certain groups. That's simply not how it works.

It is not a crime to be a jerk who shoots off at the mouth any more than it's a crime to enter a conference and scream and shout a speaker into silence. We shouldn't wag our finger at one example and offer sympathy and support for the other. These women are complaining about a random stranger saying hurtful things to them at the same time they are freely participating in protesting the free speech of campus alumni at their own school by shouting them down. One is not any worse than the other, and both are examples of the free speech afforded in this country. So at the end of the day, I find this all to be a blown-out-of-proportion non-issue. And I think most people who get all the facts first and leave emotional rhetoric out of the equation will probably agree.
Unfortunately I cannot agree with you. If it was a random jerk who was not treating them as individuals (i.e. someone he knew something about) then he is wrong to harass them in a restaurant based on what they are wearing. And they are right to complain about it so that people are aware of what is happening. Something doesn't have to be a crime to be wrong.

I just got back from lunch. 6-8 girls/women came in wearing head coverings. They had a bunch of kids in tow. I think there may have been one man with them but I was trying to count the headscarves so can't be sure. I though to myself what would I do if someone yelled at them. It probably wouldn't have been a yell telling them to go home since they were all lily white and the head coverings looked like pinned on handkerchiefs. Occasionally I see similar families at the Western Stock Show. Mormon, Mennonite, Amish? Who knows. Maybe someone yells for them to dress like regular people or stop having so many kids or stop wearing a stupid handkerchief on their heads.

So I asked myself what do I feel about seeing these religious displays of head wear. It is a little uncomfortable because I associate these things with oppression of women. I feel bad for them and wish they would come to their senses and realize the religion is not in their best interest. This is pretty much the same way I feel about seeing Muslim women wearing the head scarves or traditional dress. I feel the same way if someone tells me they are a born again Christian. Christians are also very oppressive toward women. Generally religion is oppressive to women. So if I had been in that cafe, despite my feelings that people should be able to wear what they want I would not have defended the women as I would hope that at some point they would realize that participating in a religion that oppressed them is not in their best interest. However, had someone attacked them I probably would have jumped in to intervene or at the least called the police.

Instances where I would not participate but would secretly applaud the verbal harasser is anyone yelling for people to pull their pants up. I hate seeing the underwear of people with pants hanging low. If someone said to a food server how disgusting their pierced tongue or face was I would also be in silent agreement. Despite my agreement with the opinions of those pro pants being pulled up and against metal wear on the face I do not engage in or condone verbally harassing them when the people as individuals are doing nothing wrong and merely going about their lives.

So had someone yelled at these Mormon/Mennonite/Amish women I would be silently appalled at the lack of manners of the yeller but not feel that inclined to defend their choices since I feel the choices are wrong even though they have the right to make all the wrong choices they want.

Hopefully the young women in this incident will some day escape the confines of their religion, the same way I hope the women and girls I saw today with the kerchiefs pinned to their heads, wearing the prairie dresses will be able to get away from their religion if it is dictating they live an oppressed life.

Adult women who have had the opportunity to choose their path in life who then select of their own free will some oppressive religion then that is their choice. However the Muslim girls in the original incident likely had no choice in originally deciding to wear the headscarf and are likely enjoying their 'rebel with a cause' status much like the phase most young people go through in adolescents and early adulthood.

To be perfectly honest I feel weird seeing men or boys wearing little beanie caps. Grown women with shocking pink or purple hair, teenagers all in black looking saggie, heavily tattooed people etc all elicit feelings of mild discomfort and sometimes I have to make a conscious effort to look beyond the more shocking appearances and deal with people as individuals. That is what grown, civilized people in a free society do for each other. Only little children comment on appearances like over weight, handicapped or other differences. This man should not be given a by for his behavior.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:37 PM

8,593 posts, read 11,079,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
No, you are way off base. "Contact" means the state or condition of physical touching.
You should get a refund on your LLB.

For example, waving a knife at someone or threatening someone with your fists are both examples of assault. It is important that the victim in such crimes is aware that the assault is taking place. For example, if you point a gun at someone from a distance without his or her knowledge, this technically is not assault. However, if you point a gun at someone who is aware of it, then you have committed assault, regardless of whether the gun was loaded.

Under Texas assault law, there are three ways you can be charged with assault. They are:
  • Threatening someone with imminent bodily injury
  • Intentionally causing bodily injury
  • Intentionally causing physical contact when the person knows such contact will be considered offensive
Texas Assault Defenses - Attorneys.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or