Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2015, 07:09 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Have you been to SF and Berkeley? I have family in the area and I've been there myself. Believe me, they know what the Israel flag (or as they call it- ZIONIST flag) looks like.

every Islamic person on the face of this earth knows what the Israeli flag is. It features a lot at rallys when it's being burned.
Think most folk in Indonesia and Africa ( greatest concentration of Muslims) are a tad more focused on where their next meal is coming from and in the case of the latter, the current or immanent civil war, than Israel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 07:11 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Those scarves are part of their religious beliefs.

It bothers me that people think its just fine to tell people to leave our country because of dislike of one's dress or religion. WTF is wrong with this country?
Quote:
it's actually not a part of the religion and doesn't appear anywhere in the Koran. Many Islamic women don't wear any coverings at all. It's a personal choice.
Quote:
17 Reasons Why Women Wear Headscarves | Religion Dispatches

And even if you want to argue its not for religious reasons - even when those who practice said religion SAY and BELIEVE it is - it still doesn't afford anyone else the right to tell others to leave.
Quote:
When will people realize that condoning actions such as calling others out in public for wearing things they don't like is indicative of a larger problem?
What a progression. Lose one argument, try and try again. That is the larger problem, the moving line that is part of the argument. Can't get what you want? Easy, change the direction.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:15 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Back in the day many Muslim women didn't wear hijabs. In fact in the UK even as recently as 15 years ago, it was extremely rare for a Western Muslim women to wear religious garb as everyday apparel. The demonstrative Islamic thing in the West is relatively recent. As the old adage goes 'One step forwards ... '
Very true. That's where the birth of the Islamist women's movement came from.
Iran Chamber Society: Iranian Society: The Women's Movement in Iran: Women at the Crossroads of Secularization and Islamization

Before this women use to wear bathing suits at the beach, have jobs, be able to wait for marriage. Over night they by law had to wear the garb, they lowered the age of marriage for women to 9 so they could be given as wives, and stripped them of work. Very oppressive. I guess people are too young to remember.

Worth a read if anyone cares.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:18 PM

31,027 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Quote:
Back in the day many Muslim women didn't wear hijabs. In fact in the UK even as recently as 15 years ago, it was extremely rare for a Western Muslim women to wear religious garb as everyday apparel. The demonstrative Islamic thing in the West is relatively recent. As the old adage goes 'One step forwards ... '
True, they are reverting back to their backward fundamentalist roots. As we move forward away from Christianity, they move backwards to their archaic ways.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:27 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times
To criticize the ad from the Left, then, is like rooting for the wrong team in the Super Bowl itself. But according to some liberal and secular Muslims, Coca Cola did women no favor by choosing the hijab as one of their symbols of diversity.

Americans value diversity in part because it is a proxy for another cherished value: freedom. Different styles of clothing and hair, skin colors, and family configurations are symbolic reminders that here in America we are free to pursue our quirks and interests, to become the best we can be, to love whom we love, and to worship (or not) as we see fit.

But for many secular Muslims and former Muslims, the hijab is not a symbol of freedom. It is a symbol of the fact that women in Islam are second class citizens and that this status is encoded in both sacred text and tradition, enforced by culture and law. The hijab lies at one end of a continuum with the burka, a portable fabric wall that prevents subject women from engaging fully with the world, and vice versa. It is a reminder that for millennia women have been chattel -- literally property of men -- and that this is the case in all of the Abrahamic sacred texts including the Bible and the Koran. This is why, in the Bible a rapist can be forced to buy and keep the damaged property. It is why, just last month in Dubai, a raped Austrian woman was told to marry her rapist.
Is the Hijab a Symbol of Diversity or a Symbol of Oppression?*|*Valerie Tarico

Fundamentalist Muslims. This has nothing to do with not liking moderate Muslims, or Middle Easterners but everything to do with someone not liking fundamentalist Muslims. Why? Because some of them just murdered 14 people and sent hoards of others to the hospital. That's pretty much to be expected to some degree after any terrorist attack. Right or wrong. How non human do you expect people to be. While probably not the way to handle the anger, I'm sure they expected such. It will all calm down in a while, like it did after 911. Time heals most things.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:53 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
Quote:
it's actually not a part of the religion and doesn't appear anywhere in the Koran. Many Islamic women don't wear any coverings at all. It's a personal choice.
Islam is governed by Sharia law and all is laid out in the Quoran. The majority of non Muslim nations reject Sharia law for obvious reasons.
As for headwear...

Explainer: Why do Muslim women wear a burka, niqab or hijab? - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Old 12-08-2015, 08:59 PM

940 posts, read 1,902,144 times
Quote:
Those scarves are part of their religious beliefs.

It bothers me that people think its just fine to tell people to leave our country because of dislike of one's dress or religion. WTF is wrong with this country?

Good for you. You put yourself in the situation of WTF is wrong with countries in the West for having their citizens mowed down by a hostile culture. France has even tried to banish head coverings for muslim women. Bitchin and moanin do nothing to improve your life.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:01 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
Quote:

What day?
I lived in Tripoli, Libya as child 1963-66 and every woman there wore the typical one eye showing head wear at all times. Sometimes we saw their faces as we were kids but men; never. We use to get dark cloth and walk around imitating them until some sheik got on my old man about it and we had to stop.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:10 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,022,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
What day?
I lived in Tripoli, Libya as child 1963-66 and every woman there wore the typical one eye showing head wear at all times. Sometimes we saw their faces as we were kids but men; never. We use to get dark cloth and walk around imitating them until some sheik got on my old man about it and we had to stop.
Certainly in the West in the 60s/70s it was a very rare occurrence. In fact growing up in London at that time, I don't remember a single British Muslim woman wearing a hijab as a matter of course, Now it's commonplace. I don't know about Tripoli but in Beirut and Tehran mini skirts and make-up were the order of the day.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:14 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,504,883 times
Tehran in the 60's -70's looked pretty much like any modern Western city.

vintage everyday: Pictures of Tehran, Iran, ca. 1960s-1970s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam