Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2015, 04:32 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,111,606 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, there has always been, and there will always be, ignorant dumb f--ks in every country. You'd like to think that America is better than other countries, but oh well. You simply cannot prevent this from happening. I hate it.

Mick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 04:38 PM

4,095 posts, read 2,563,954 times
As a Liberal I am against overreaching religions, and I have never seen a religion more overreaching and illiberal than Islam.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:42 PM

19,829 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post

It's not against the law to be an ahole and say stupid things.These were hurtful words, not a physical attack. There is a difference! The women exchanged words back, and did not appear to be in harm.

The women in question are UT students who happen to be part of a growing anti-Israel movement on campus. They recently participated in a protest during an Israeli professor's speech there, effectively cutting him off and not allowing him to speak. So now they got a little taste of the *other* side of free speech. At the end of the day, this was nothing more than an exchange of hurtful words.

This is a non-issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Actually it is. In Texas simple assault is exactly that.

Assault by provocative or offensive contact refers to an act that does not cause physical injury or pain but is upsetting or causes the victim to feel violated. Simple Assault in Texas | Criminal Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
What words, specifically, did this man say that constituted assault?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
That wasn't the argument. The poster I was responding to said that for it to be assault there had to be physical contact. That is not accurate.

I wasn't privy to the conversation between the two groups here, but if threats were uttered, that could constitute assault. Not that it does, or anything else.
Going by these quoted posts, it appears you are claiming that what the rude customer said to those students was simple assault in Texas.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:43 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
These two women choose to wear the hiijab.

A stranger choose to judge them by their hijjab and became vocal.

Only thing any of us control is our own reaction.

Women are pissed because the restaurant did not " do something".

Seems obvious a growing number of people from all walks of life are not happy unless they play the victim card.

Old 12-08-2015, 05:07 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Perhaps people who choose to wear clothing ( hijab, marijuana shirts, etc) get tats ( nazi symbols, gang signs) or fly flags that are likely to provoke a response might have one at the ready?

A sincere F off usually does the trick, but one can be more creative if needed.

Old 12-08-2015, 05:11 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
They were offended that others were offended by them. Who cares? People get offended all the time, it's human nature. I wish every time someone got offended it didn't become a news story. Don't people have actual issues to deal with instead of this crap?!

Old 12-08-2015, 05:17 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Perhaps people who choose to wear clothing ( hijab, marijuana shirts, etc) get tats ( nazi symbols, gang signs) or fly flags that are likely to provoke a response might have one at the ready?

A sincere F off usually does the trick, but one can be more creative if needed.
I agree. If you don't want to be treated like a bum then don't dress like one. I you don't want to be treated like skinhead then don't dress like one. If you don't want to be treated like a terrorist... Well, you get the idea.

Old 12-08-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
it's actually not a part of the religion and doesn't appear anywhere in the Koran. Many Islamic women don't wear any coverings at all. It's a personal choice.
Actually, I believe the Quran does compel women to cover in three different passages, no different than the Old and New Testaments.

Of course when this was dictated, it had been common for centuries for women of all faiths, to cover, to avoid attracting male attention.

Ever see a depiction of the Virgin Mary with her head uncovered?
Until recent times, nuns covered and women were expected to cover while in church for the same reason.

When to cover and by how much within Islam is addressed by various Hadiths, conceived hundreds- thousand+ years after Muhammad died. Covering varies from a head scarf to full body with only one eye visible.

Old 12-08-2015, 05:24 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Unfortunately, there has always been, and there will always be, ignorant dumb f--ks in every country. You'd like to think that America is better than other countries, but oh well. You simply cannot prevent this from happening. I hate it.

Mick
Aw Mick, I know how it feels to wake up and realize your dream world isn't reality. I often wake up and then realize I can't really wear my "atheists rock" t-shirt to in my Mormon majority town without hearing how they feel about it and that we still really do have that for profit Obamacare that cost me a mil for nothing. But, it's not all that bad, chin up!!

At least we haven't banned head scarfs and burkas like dozens of other countries like Italy, Germany, Syria, France and Russia have. Look on the bright side! There really is no better place to be. At least you still have the right to tell me to F-Off right.

Old 12-08-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
17 Reasons Why Women Wear Headscarves | Religion Dispatches

And even if you want to argue its not for religious reasons - even when those who practice said religion SAY and BELIEVE it is - it still doesn't afford anyone else the right to tell others to leave.
The right?

People have the right to be jerks.

Only thing any of us control is our own reaction

Sounds like the jerk and these two women chose to not control their reaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam