Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2015, 12:26 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,093,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaching View Post
You missed it.

They are crying they were mistreated for what they were wearing and that he told them to "go back" to a country they are not from. Yet, they can go into an event with a scheduled guest speaker at the school and shout him down yelling anti-Israeli propaganda and spewing hate towards the visiting professor, the host professor and those there to hear the guest speak on Israeli history based on their nationality.

Their actions are far worse than the man they encountered while out eating breakfast.
Whether or not the girls are hypocrites is not the issue. The man in the restaurant had no idea of their political affiliation.

Hell, I am a brown woman. I am NOT Muslim by any means, but if I were to wear a scarf in public, I would be asking to be abused and yelled at?

He didn't know diddly **** about these girls, took at their clothes and made a whole bunch of very wrong assumptions, and then acted like an a-hole. Whether or not these girls are anti Semitic, or kick puppies or trip old people is totally irrelevant to this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 12:38 AM
Status: "Repub's IVF ruling is anti-family and anti-America" (set 9 days ago)

5,783 posts, read 3,566,548 times
I suppose every Christian who wears a crucifix is ready to call for bombings of abortion clinics and for spiteful, mocking, and ridicule of GLBT, atheists, and women who get abortions.

...or that every rural white blue collar male in Mississippi, Alabama, etc. with a thick accent thinks lowly of blacks, GLBT, "Liberals", and "Yankees"

...or that every visitor to the South from New York, New England, etc. is just itching for a chance to mock Southerners (particularly white ones) to their face.

THAT is what I have to conclude IF I were to believe that wearing hijabs or burqas means the woman is a terrorist supporter.

Old 12-09-2015, 01:31 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,796,263 times
Let's see how minorities are treated in this woman's native country of Saudi Arabia. In addition of her calling for the death of the Jews (because she claims Israel should only be Muslim), I really wonder if she would cry out against the injustices being done to Christians and other non-Muslims in her home country. If she will stand up, speak out against the injustices to Christians and non-Muslims in her own country, then maybe I will come and defend this lady against whatever injustices she thinks are being done to her.

10 Facts About Saudi Arabia Christians From History to Everyday Life

In Saudi Arabia, if you make any outward display of Christianity you can be put to death under Sharia Law. Yeah, sounds real fair.. I wonder if Ms (or is it Mrs) crybaby has anything to say about the way us "Kaffirs" are treated in her homeland.

Some interesting facts about how Christians and other non-Muslims are treated in the Sharia land of Saudi Arabia, the home of this so-called poor, innocent victim:
Quote:
5. Saudi Arabia is reportedly the 12 most dangerous country in the world to be a Christian.

6. There are no churches for Saudi Arabia Christians to worship. The public practice of all non-Muslim religions is prohibited. This law is strictly enforced and threat of the death penalty has be used in recent court cases.

7. Saudi Christians can only celebrate Christmas and Easter in the privacy of their own homes.

8. All Christians are officially foreign workers, as Christianity is forbidden to Saudi citizens.

9. All outward displays of Christian symbols or of Christian celebration are banned in Saudi Arabia.

10. Preaching to non-Christians or attempting to convert Muslims to the Christian faith is punished severely under Sharia Law in Saudi Arabia.

Old 12-09-2015, 01:51 AM

29,841 posts, read 18,685,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Let's see how minorities are treated in this woman's native country of Saudi Arabia. In addition of her calling for the death of the Jews (because she claims Israel should only be Muslim), I really wonder if she would cry out against the injustices being done to Christians and other non-Muslims in her home country. If she will stand up, speak out against the injustices to Christians and non-Muslims in her own country, then maybe I will come and defend this lady against whatever injustices she thinks are being done to her.

10 Facts About Saudi Arabia Christians From History to Everyday Life

In Saudi Arabia, if you make any outward display of Christianity you can be put to death under Sharia Law. Yeah, sounds real fair.. I wonder if Ms (or is it Mrs) crybaby has anything to say about the way us "Kaffirs" are treated in her homeland.

Some interesting facts about how Christians and other non-Muslims are treated in the Sharia land of Saudi Arabia, the home of this so-called poor, innocent victim:
When I worked in Saudi, no Bible or christian symbol was allowed into the country. A Fillipino that worked for me told me that he was wearing a cross when he entered Saudi and the immigration agent forced him to swallow it. We shouldn't allow any Islamic worship that encourages them to try to overthrow our country or our law...their fu##ed up countries should be proof enough of how backward Sharia Law is.

Old 12-09-2015, 02:29 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,008,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
They can wear scarves and people can react to it. That happened.

I agree with scarves being provocative at this time, I think a lot of people who wear them know that too. The word I need to use is "alien", it doesn't fit into American cultural norms and when something outside the norm is in the spotlight for killing a bunch of people it's going to get a reaction.

You might think it's wrong, you may think it's mean, but it's human nature, and that's the one thing we will never "social engineer" or peer pressure out of ourselves. All of the choices we make are potential burdens we have to bear ourselves. It's really not national news worthy except it serves a purpose to get us fighting among ourselves.
There's no obligation for them to wear headscarves - or hijabs - and they are of course free to do so. On the other hand - there is something a bit exclusivist or separatist about doing so. People will invariably politely ignore it - but in the present climate when demonstrative Islamic piety (as opposed to the older - in the West - cursory nod to secular Islam) is sometimes associated with a more fundamentalist interpretation of the religion, it's no great surprise that it might sometimes create tension. As a PR exercise - and again obviously it would be volitional - it might be cool to not wear religious garb - at least for a stretch - even though Muslim.

Old 12-09-2015, 02:35 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,796,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
When I worked in Saudi, no Bible or christian symbol was allowed into the country. A Fillipino that worked for me told me that he was wearing a cross when he entered Saudi and the immigration agent forced him to swallow it. We shouldn't allow any Islamic worship that encourages them to try to overthrow our country or our law...their fu##ed up countries should be proof enough of how backward Sharia Law is.
I agree 100% Tall Traveler .. A lot of people who are so strong in defending the rights of Muslims have yet to travel to a Muslim country where they are a minority.

I had an Ethiopian Christian friend who was arrested crossing through Saudi during time he was refugee during the Mengistu reign in Ethiopia. WHen he was arrested the guards demanded that he come and pray with them since it was prayer time. He refused to do the Islamic prayers, since he was a Christian. The guards then proceeded to beat and torture him and said they would execute him for being a Christian. He told me that he believes that these people are the most barbaric and savage he has ever met. My Ethiopian friend eventually managed to get out of prison some how, since they ended up deporting him and other refugees to another country from where they managed to come to USA.

Everyone is crying for justice for Muslims, while they go around murdering people in our country for being what they consider as kaffirs, polytheists and/or crusaders. If anyone is the victim of racism in this country, it is us non-Muslims who are the victim of racism instigated by Muslims. As I said, they are the ones who are going around shooting us , blowing us up on our own soil.

And, of course, nobody gives a crap about all the Christians, Hindus, Buddhists, Jews and other non-Muslim minorities in Muslim countries around the globe who have been tortured, raped and murdered.

Old 12-09-2015, 02:42 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,424,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
They can wear scarves and people can react to it. That happened.

I agree with scarves being provocative at this time, I think a lot of people who wear them know that too. The word I need to use is "alien", it doesn't fit into American cultural norms and when something outside the norm is in the spotlight for killing a bunch of people it's going to get a reaction.

You might think it's wrong, you may think it's mean, but it's human nature, and that's the one thing we will never "social engineer" or peer pressure out of ourselves. All of the choices we make are potential burdens we have to bear ourselves. It's really not national news worthy except it serves a purpose to get us fighting among ourselves.
Alien? I think xenophobic fits...not these women but to people who react to scarves or any other sort of religious garb. I don't know where you live, but I live in Dallas and it's completely within the norm here (and Austin) to see women wearing hijabs. That's the case now and it was the case prior to Paris and even 9-11. Are they supposed to stop wearing them as to not "provoke" uneducated fools?

Old 12-09-2015, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Alien? I think xenophobic fits...not these women but to people who react to scarves or any other sort of religious garb. I don't know where you live, but I live in Dallas and it's completely within the norm here (and Austin) to see women wearing hijabs. That's the case now and it was the case prior to Paris and even 9-11. Are they supposed to stop wearing them as to not "provoke" uneducated fools?
Unlike where they came from, we live in a free country...they're free to wear them, we're free to say how stupid and oppressive to the human spirit wearing such garb is. The religious police in Saudi routinely beat women that don't wear those idiotic costumes to their sadistic satisfaction.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:20 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,424,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Unlike where they came from, we live in a free country...they're free to wear them, we're free to say how stupid and oppressive to the human spirit wearing such garb is. The religious police in Saudi routinely beat women that don't wear those idiotic costumes to their sadistic satisfaction.
And when you see Orthodox Jewish women in wigs and covered head to toe? Or Pentecostal Christian women, who also clearly stand out? Are those also idiotic costumes? My POINT, which was obviously lost, is that these women (Hindu, Muslim, Jewish, Christian...) are not dressing in a certain way to provoke, it's their tradition. Yes, this is a free country and we are absolutely free to comment when someone looks different, but most of us...at least those of us who weren't raised in barns...don't.

Old 12-09-2015, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
And when you see Orthodox Jewish women in wigs and covered head to toe? Or Pentecostal Christian women, who also clearly stand out? Are those also idiotic costumes? My POINT, which was obviously lost, is that these women (Hindu, Muslim, Jewish, Christian...) are not dressing in a certain way to provoke, it's their tradition. Yes, this is a free country and we are absolutely free to comment when someone looks different, but most of us...at least those of us who weren't raised in barns...don't.
But the difference is that Islam promotes killing Infidels, raping girls, sex slaves, disrespecting everyone not of the religion, oppressing women, gays...and wearing Muslim garb (age) represents that oppression....do you support that oppression or denounce it (regardless of the location of your upbringing)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam