Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2015, 07:45 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
I had an Ethiopian Christian friend who was arrested crossing through Saudi during time he was refugee during the Mengistu reign in Ethiopia. WHen he was arrested the guards demanded that he come and pray with them since it was prayer time. He refused to do the Islamic prayers, since he was a Christian. The guards then proceeded to beat and torture him and said they would execute him for being a Christian. He told me that he believes that these people are the most barbaric and savage he has ever met. My Ethiopian friend eventually managed to get out of prison some how, since they ended up deporting him and other refugees to another country from where they managed to come to USA.

I am reminded of the time when a girl's school in Saudi Arabia caught fire, and the religious police blocked the exits because the girls weren't properly covered. They would prefer that someone's daughters die a horrible death than to have a man tempted into sin by the sight of an uncovered arm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_M...27_school_fire

A society that operates in this way is nothing but barbaric and savage, and unfit to mingle with civilized human beings. I will never step foot in that hellhole that masquerades as a country, and I honestly don't want any of them to step foot in my country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 08:51 AM

833 posts, read 657,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I am reminded of the time when a girl's school in Saudi Arabia caught fire, and the religious police blocked the exits because the girls weren't properly covered. They would prefer that someone's daughters die a horrible death than to have a man tempted into sin by the sight of an uncovered arm.

A society that operates in this way is nothing but barbaric and savage, and unfit to mingle with civilized human beings. I will never step foot in that hellhole that masquerades as a country, and I honestly don't want any of them to step foot in my country.
Bingo !

Old 12-09-2015, 09:00 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Translation:

I got nothin'. And yes, I'm frightened by black people, people with tattoos and long hair because there have been incidents where they've shot people.
The high and mighty liberal? I'm guessing here.

"We have reached out to both of the guests who had a negative experience with another guest in our restaurant today and apologized, and we want to publicly apologize for the way this was handled. We do not condone discriminatory comments or behavior in any way, shape, or form; and according to our policy the guest who made these hateful comments to another guest should have been asked to leave our restaurant. This was a mistake made by our management, and we are addressing it with that individual. For anyone who has any concerns about Kerbey Lane’s policies, please contact us directly at or social@klcmail.com"

The business where the negative comments were made has apologized. There was NO violence.

You can assume I'm afraid of all people if you'd like, it deflects the real issue I guess. But, if anyone with a swastika wants to visit a Jewish neighborhood free of comments, good luck. If anyone wants to visit a black neighborhood draped in the conservative flag, good luck. If anyone wants to wear a hijab shortly after a terrorist attack in TX, good luck. Good luck doing so without comment. After of which you can blog away about your experience.

It seems you think some have freedom and others do not. Selective freedom. Nobody was harmed, I think you'll live as will they, they have walked away with their lives intact. Or like others, if you've had enough of our country, feel free to cry about it on facebook.

I personally think they could have gone without it in public until some time has passed. But, they are free to do what they'd like. My opinion on WHY they'd like that is mine alone. You can feel free, as you've been doing, calling me whatever you'd like for it. To me it's a symbol of oppression and hatred, murder and depression. I do not personally support it. If those women were harmed I'd be on your side, but they were not. They wore their expression on their sleeve, and got a comment about it. That's it. They made there own comments as well. Freedom of speech is alive and well. So, you are disappointed about the mans comments, go right ahead and be disappointed about them. You are free to do so.

I do however have respect for moderate Muslims and moderate Christians. Respect (a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements)

Just so you're accurate about my fears in regards to religion they are any group that encompasses violent and oppressive acts against others. I don't agree with any of them and I might just speak freely about it. Mormons who marry babies, and Christians who condone (accept and allow behavior that is considered morally wrong or offensive) blowing or shooting up buildings full of people.

Thanks to all the women who still wear the hijab! Thanks for letting all of us know what you support!

An Excellent Response to the Stupidity of Muslim ‘Feminists’ who Defend the Hijab and Niqab | Tarek Fatah

“I just love this excellent letter written by Pakistani journalist Kunwar Khuldune Shahid. Such a wonderful response to those ‘educated’ women who are proud of being veiled Muslims and who foolishly defend Islam, the anti-women religion. The author of this letter is a man. I am proud of men like Kunwar Khuldune, who believe in women’s rights.”
– Tasleema Nasreen

Dear ‘guardians of modesty’ Muslimaat, thank you for letting patriarchal societies define ‘modesty’ for you. Thank you for accepting contrasting definitions of modesty for men and women, and for not being a source of strength for your sisters and daughters, vindicating the men’s claim of you being the weaker sex. Thank you for teaching your daughters about the sin that having sex is, throughout their lives, and then compelling them to do it immediately with a man they first met a couple of hours ago, after signing a few papers and getting the clergy’s approval. Also, thank you for blaming your fellow women when they are raped, since men have the divine license to refuse to keep their emotions in the right place. And thank you very very much for being more misogynistic than any male chauvinist can ever possibly be.

Dear ‘feminist’ Muslimaat, thank you for being a ray of hope for bacon-eating vegetarians, god-fearing atheists and peace-loving terrorists. Thank you for reiterating the fact that your mehrams choose to overlook the divine orders and allow you to think freely and take your own decisions. Thank you for citing your personal example to highlight how you wear the hijab by your own choice, ignoring the fact that an overwhelming majority of Muslim women are coerced into doing so. Thank you very much for making the whole debate about you, when it was always about the torment and suffering that most of the Muslim women are going through.

Dear ‘liberal’ Muslimaat, thank you for defying the orders of your deity by choosing to not cover your heads. Thank you for disregarding other restrictions that your religion commands, and then having the audacity to condemn someone who is critical of these very commands. Thank you for cherry picking the commandments and making your ideology sound compatible with the 21st century, only to castigate those that take the same ideological orders literally and implement them. Thanks a lot for elucidating that you don’t need liberation and for paying no heed to the fact that the most of the women in your country do. And thank you very much for clinging on to those very shackles that have enchained the prospect of women empowerment in your country.

Dear ‘revolutionary’ Muslimaat, thank you for ignoring the life threats that Amina Tyler and many others like her are facing, after choosing to protest against the harassment that they have to bear on a daily basis.

Thank you for overlooking other lesser issues like terrorists attacking a 15-year-old schoolgirl; female genital mutilation; women being raped with judicial approval just so they don’t die virgins; two-year-old girls being forced to wear veils because the disgusting men in your country have no self-control; and fathers legally getting away with raping their daughters by paying a few riyals.

Thank you very much for screaming bloody murder over half-naked women’s claim of representing you, but accepting rapists, pedophiles and sorry excuses for human beings as your state leaders and role models.

#MuslimahPride is not just a hashtag, it’s a symbol of integrity and pride. It’s about taking pride in inequality, in half testimonies, in blaming rape victims and in gender discrimination. It’s about taking pride in chauvinism, where men have divine permission to beat and rape their wives, marry multiple times and possess slave girls.

It’s about taking pride in patriarchal societies where husbands are categorically told in detail how they should punish their “disobedient” wives, while not a single text exclusively tells women what they should do with unfaithful husbands. It’s about taking pride in not being allowed to vote, let alone lead your nations, and about finally being allowed to ride a goddamn bicycle – under a mehram’s supervision – in the year 2013 AD.

The #MuslimahPride jihad will be written down in history as the moment where Muslimaat made it clear to the world that no one should protest on their behalf, half-naked or otherwise. Thank you, dear Muslimaat, for saving the rest of the world’s time by clarifying that you’re fine living in the 7th century AD, and no one should push you towards the enlightened times, regardless of whether they have clothes on or not. Thank you for being a source of inspiration and an illuminating example for everyone. We all know that you have what it takes to transform the plight of the women and change the dynamics of the world, as long as you are back home before sunset.

More power to you.

PS: I hope being addressed as ‘dear’ does not land you in trouble with your oversensitive male guardians.

Yours thankfully,

Kunwar Khuldune Shahid

The writer is a financial journalist and a cultural critic. Twitter: @khuldune

Last edited by PoppySead; 12-09-2015 at 09:09 AM..

Old 12-09-2015, 09:04 AM

1,261 posts, read 949,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post

That was an awful, awful event, but let me understand this...because some awful religious police in Saudi Arabia, who do not have universal support in that country by the way, committed this heinous human rights violation it is OK for an American to treat a woman who has absolutely no connection to Saudi Arabia with contempt and disrespect? That is interesting logic.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:07 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
I am British and Russian and I support Israel. I do not support any Muslim countries. I do like most Muslim Americans but they are more Westernized. I hate that Muslim Anti-Western movement, they not only hate USA but France, Germany, UK, any every other Europe country, if you hate the West stay in your own country then, we have enough problems in USA to do with right now anyway.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:11 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
The high and mighty liberal? I'm guessing here.

"We have reached out to both of the guests who had a negative experience with another guest in our restaurant today and apologized, and we want to publicly apologize for the way this was handled. We do not condone discriminatory comments or behavior in any way, shape, or form; and according to our policy the guest who made these hateful comments to another guest should have been asked to leave our restaurant. This was a mistake made by our management, and we are addressing it with that individual. For anyone who has any concerns about Kerbey Lane’s policies, please contact us directly at or social@klcmail.com"

The business where the negative comments were made has apologized. There was NO violence.

You can assume I'm afraid of all people if you'd like, it deflects the real issue I guess. But, if anyone with a swastika wants to visit a Jewish neighborhood free of comments, good luck. If anyone wants to visit a black neighborhood draped in the conservative flag, good luck. If anyone wants to wear a hijab shortly after a terrorist attack in TX, good luck. Good luck doing so without comment. After of which you can blog away about your experience.

It seems you think some have freedom and others do not. Selective freedom. Nobody was harmed, I think you'll live as will they, they have walked away with their lives intact. Or like others, if you've had enough of our country, feel free to cry about it on facebook.

I personally think they could have gone without it in public until some time has passed. But, they are free to do what they'd like. My opinion on WHY they'd like that is mine alone. You can feel free, as you've been doing, calling me whatever you'd like for it. To me it's a symbol of oppression and hatred, murder and depression. I do not personally support it. If those women were harmed I'd be on your side, but they were not. They wore their expression on their sleeve, and got a comment about it. That's it. They made there own comments as well. Freedom of speech is alive and well. So, you are disappointed about the mans comments, go right ahead a be disappointed about them. You are free to do so.

I do however have respect for moderate Muslims and moderate Christians. Respect (a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements)

Just so you're accurate about my fears in regards to religion they are any group that encompasses violent and oppressive acts against others. I don't agree with any of them and I might just speak freely about it. Mormons who marry babies, and Christians who condone (accept and allow behavior that is considered morally wrong or offensive) blowing or shooting up buildings full of people.

Thanks to all the women who still wear the hijab! Thanks for letting all of us know what you support!

An Excellent Response to the Stupidity of Muslim ‘Feminists’ who Defend the Hijab and Niqab | Tarek Fatah

“I just love this excellent letter written by Pakistani journalist Kunwar Khuldune Shahid. Such a wonderful response to those ‘educated’ women who are proud of being veiled Muslims and who foolishly defend Islam, the anti-women religion. The author of this letter is a man. I am proud of men like Kunwar Khuldune, who believe in women’s rights.â€
– Tasleema Nasreen

Dear ‘guardians of modesty’ Muslimaat, thank you for letting patriarchal societies define ‘modesty’ for you. Thank you for accepting contrasting definitions of modesty for men and women, and for not being a source of strength for your sisters and daughters, vindicating the men’s claim of you being the weaker sex. Thank you for teaching your daughters about the sin that having sex is, throughout their lives, and then compelling them to do it immediately with a man they first met a couple of hours ago, after signing a few papers and getting the clergy’s approval. Also, thank you for blaming your fellow women when they are raped, since men have the divine license to refuse to keep their emotions in the right place. And thank you very very much for being more misogynistic than any male chauvinist can ever possibly be.

Dear ‘feminist’ Muslimaat, thank you for being a ray of hope for bacon-eating vegetarians, god-fearing atheists and peace-loving terrorists. Thank you for reiterating the fact that your mehrams choose to overlook the divine orders and allow you to think freely and take your own decisions. Thank you for citing your personal example to highlight how you wear the hijab by your own choice, ignoring the fact that an overwhelming majority of Muslim women are coerced into doing so. Thank you very much for making the whole debate about you, when it was always about the torment and suffering that most of the Muslim women are going through.

Dear ‘liberal’ Muslimaat, thank you for defying the orders of your deity by choosing to not cover your heads. Thank you for disregarding other restrictions that your religion commands, and then having the audacity to condemn someone who is critical of these very commands. Thank you for cherry picking the commandments and making your ideology sound compatible with the 21st century, only to castigate those that take the same ideological orders literally and implement them. Thanks a lot for elucidating that you don’t need liberation and for paying no heed to the fact that the most of the women in your country do. And thank you very much for clinging on to those very shackles that have enchained the prospect of women empowerment in your country.

Dear ‘revolutionary’ Muslimaat, thank you for ignoring the life threats that Amina Tyler and many others like her are facing, after choosing to protest against the harassment that they have to bear on a daily basis.

Thank you for overlooking other lesser issues like terrorists attacking a 15-year-old schoolgirl; female genital mutilation; women being raped with judicial approval just so they don’t die virgins; two-year-old girls being forced to wear veils because the disgusting men in your country have no self-control; and fathers legally getting away with raping their daughters by paying a few riyals.

Thank you very much for screaming bloody murder over half-naked women’s claim of representing you, but accepting rapists, pedophiles and sorry excuses for human beings as your state leaders and role models.

#MuslimahPride is not just a hashtag, it’s a symbol of integrity and pride. It’s about taking pride in inequality, in half testimonies, in blaming rape victims and in gender discrimination. It’s about taking pride in chauvinism, where men have divine permission to beat and rape their wives, marry multiple times and possess slave girls.

It’s about taking pride in patriarchal societies where husbands are categorically told in detail how they should punish their “disobedient†wives, while not a single text exclusively tells women what they should do with unfaithful husbands. It’s about taking pride in not being allowed to vote, let alone lead your nations, and about finally being allowed to ride a goddamn bicycle – under a mehram’s supervision – in the year 2013 AD.

The #MuslimahPride jihad will be written down in history as the moment where Muslimaat made it clear to the world that no one should protest on their behalf, half-naked or otherwise. Thank you, dear Muslimaat, for saving the rest of the world’s time by clarifying that you’re fine living in the 7th century AD, and no one should push you towards the enlightened times, regardless of whether they have clothes on or not. Thank you for being a source of inspiration and an illuminating example for everyone. We all know that you have what it takes to transform the plight of the women and change the dynamics of the world, as long as you are back home before sunset.

More power to you.

PS: I hope being addressed as ‘dear’ does not land you in trouble with your oversensitive male guardians.

Yours thankfully,

Kunwar Khuldune Shahid

The writer is a financial journalist and a cultural critic. Twitter: @khuldune

Actually, no, I'm a middle of the road kind of guy who thinks our politicians are self-serving and do not represent us, regardless of what side of the aisle they are on. I am also vehemently against allowing any more immigrants into our country at this time, particularly those who are Muslim.

Do I think they made a big deal out of nothing? Yes. But I think it's pathetic that people here are taking their anger out on AMERICANS. They are typical whiny, *I have a cause* college students. Nothing more. They do not deserve the disdain and anger people are leveling at them here in this thread.

Talk about making a big deal out of nothing - this thread is filled with unwarranted venom and vitriol. Save it for more important causes - like closing our borders and not allowing our current President to veto a ban on allowing people in from Syria.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:19 AM

269 posts, read 178,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Those scarves are part of their religious beliefs.

It bothers me that people think its just fine to tell people to leave our country because of dislike of one's dress or religion. WTF is wrong with this country?
Those scarves are not part of their religious beliefs, and burkas were injected into that culture used to smuggle women.

Please educate yourself before you start defending people that hate liberals more than even the most hard core rednecks.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:23 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,169,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I'll let him explain it to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Translation:

I got nothin'. And yes, I'm frightened by black people, people with tattoos and long hair because there have been incidents where they've shot people.
Basically.

No responses from her to my posts, easy for a cat to get your tongue when you get caught being a hypocrite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Ok and what did this nation do? Called anyone who had a CF a racist, vandalized their property, demanded the flag be removed from gov. property, pulled merchandise from shelves, canceled TV shows, refused to bake confederate flag cakes, tried to take down historical monuments, called for the firing of government workers who displayed anything confederate on their personal time.

I'm not saying these women or anyone should not be allowed to wear a scarf or symbol of their belief, religion or culture just dont get your panties in a wad and think your immune from scrutiny.

If the citizens and powers that be in this nation can react as they did over the confederate flag because some lunatics murdered people and had photos displaying the confederate flag why are we surprised and offended when citizens are upset over a symbol being displayed that is represents some terrorist lunatics that murdered people.

There has been no mass call to stop the sale of scarfs, no media censorship, no out cry for persons to be fired.
Oh, no, no, no. The country was very much divided on the Confederate flag. Many Republican politicians supported its removal, but as far as citizens? Do you not remember the dozens of threads on this and the P&OC forum where there was so much back and forth on the flag? Do you not remember the posters who said they were going to go buy one to **** off the PC crowd? So, it's "PC" to want people to not display Confederate flags after a mass shooting, but now it's "PC" to not want people to ask Muslims not to display their Muslim garb after a mass shooting?

Like I said, all I'm asking for is consistency, and I ousted one poster for being a hypocrite, and glancing back at the thread I linked in a previous post, I could oust a few more for doing the same.

At the end of the day, the point is still being missed. We non-Muslims cannot take our anger, frustration and for some, fear, out on fellow American citizens who happen to be Muslim, especially when we have no proof whatsoever of any affiliation to a terrorist group.

That is the exact same thing as labeling any person who owns Confederate flag paraphernalia as a racist, or verbally/physically assaulting them with no probable cause. That's not right and shouldn't be accepted or expected.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:37 AM

36,495 posts, read 30,827,524 times
[quote=ATG5;42222735]

Quote:
Oh, no, no, no. The country was very much divided on the Confederate flag. Many Republican politicians supported its removal, but as far as citizens? Do you not remember the dozens of threads on this and the P&OC forum where there was so much back and forth on the flag? Do you not remember the posters who said they were going to go buy one to **** off the PC crowd? So, it's "PC" to want people to not display Confederate flags after a mass shooting, but now it's "PC" to not want people to display their Muslim garb after a mass shooting?
Is this country not divided over the whole Muslim controversy? Are you saying the confederate flags were not taken off state buildings, monuments were not moved or destroyed, merchandise was not taken off shelves/internet, tv shows were not canceled, homes and vehicles were not vandalized and people were not calling for the firing of government workers?

Quote:
Like I said, all I'm asking for is consistency, and I ousted one poster for being a hypocrite, and glancing back at the thread I linked in a previous post, I could oust a few more for doing the same.
Where is the consistency? The above actions were allowed and supported while people are being chastised for just saying anything negative about symbols of Islamic terrorism.

Quote:
At the end of the day, the point is still being missed. We non-Muslims cannot take our anger, frustration and for some, fear, out on fellow American citizens who happen to be Muslim, especially when we have no proof whatsoever of any affiliation to a terrorist group.

That is the exact same thing as labeling any person who owns Confederate flag paraphernalia as a racist, or verbally/physically assaulting them with no probable cause. That's not right and shouldn't be accepted or expected.
I agree, but we non Muslims did take our anger, frustration and fear out on fellow American citizens who happen to be "Confederate" when there was no affiliation to a terrorist group/slavery/secession. Therefore I have no sympathy for the Muslims wearing their cultural headscarf who are being "targeted and criticized because of the words and acts of others".

Old 12-09-2015, 09:48 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,083,129 times
I don't want to start a new thread for this so I'll just pose this question here. Do radical Muslims hate Dubai and the UAE? These people hate America, Christianity and Western culture yet Dubai is little more than a Muslim city greatly capitalizing on catering to the same kinds of people radicals hate. Wouldn't these radicals think of people in the Dubai as traitors or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam