U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-16-2015, 11:49 PM
 
Location: Not-a-Theist
3,440 posts, read 1,593,506 times
Reputation: 461

Advertisements

80:23 [Pickthall] Nay, but (man) hath not done what He [Allah] commanded him.


In my discussions with Woodrow LI he would often claimed the Quran is not a book of commands.


In 80:23 [an implied in other verses] Allah stated man did not comply with Allah's command.
Where else is Allah's commands delivered other than in the current Quran?*
Therefore the Quran is a book of Allah commands.


*Allah has also issued commands via other prophets before Muhammad but this topic is about the current Islam as it is.


Obviously the whole of the Quran's 6,236 verses are not commands but the Quran do contains specific commands plus other elements such as doctrines, advices and other guiding points.
Therefore the Quran is a book that contain Allah's commands.


In another perspective, the whole of the Quran can be deemed as commanded by Allah to adopt it [Quran] without exceptions.


Alternative views?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-17-2015, 10:28 PM
 
Location: Not-a-Theist
3,440 posts, read 1,593,506 times
Reputation: 461
Hello Woodrow,
Any response to the above?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2015, 03:09 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,323,236 times
Reputation: 7407
Waiting to see if any other Muslims have anything to say.

You are aware of my view that the Qur'an is a message that explains why we should perform Islam, but it does not tell us how.
__________________
When posting as a MOD my posts will be in red

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks


MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2015, 01:47 AM
 
Location: quiet place
276 posts, read 215,376 times
Reputation: 99
I did not go over the debate you had before and I will try to get time to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2015, 11:45 AM
 
88 posts, read 35,160 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
80:23 [Pickthall] Nay, but (man) hath not done what He [Allah] commanded him.


In my discussions with Woodrow LI he would often claimed the Quran is not a book of commands.


In 80:23 [an implied in other verses] Allah stated man did not comply with Allah's command.
Where else is Allah's commands delivered other than in the current Quran?*
Therefore the Quran is a book of Allah commands.


*Allah has also issued commands via other prophets before Muhammad but this topic is about the current Islam as it is.


Obviously the whole of the Quran's 6,236 verses are not commands but the Quran do contains specific commands plus other elements such as doctrines, advices and other guiding points.
Therefore the Quran is a book that contain Allah's commands.


In another perspective, the whole of the Quran can be deemed as commanded by Allah to adopt it [Quran] without exceptions.


Alternative views?

In the Holy Quran there is Guidance, Commands, Advice, warnings, Good tidings, cannot specifically say Quran is the book of Commands but I think The Book of Guidance is more appropriate.

when Allah Says in the Quran Dont have Alcohol, It is command and also Advice because We all know how alcohol effects on peoples life and health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2015, 10:26 PM
 
Location: Not-a-Theist
3,440 posts, read 1,593,506 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by int007 View Post
In the Holy Quran there is Guidance, Commands, Advice, warnings, Good tidings, cannot specifically say Quran is the book of Commands but I think The Book of Guidance is more appropriate.

when Allah Says in the Quran Dont have Alcohol, It is command and also Advice because We all know how alcohol effects on peoples life and health.
I agree with your point in this case.


When Woodrow LI argued the Quran is not a book of commands, he meant there are no commands at all there in.


The Quran is basically a Reminder as stated in the Quran itself.


However on a looser interpretation the whole Quran is a "command" itself from Allah to all, i.e. a command from Allah that all are to be reminded and to follow all the contents [advice, guidance, reminder, specific Commands, warnings, threat, good tidings, signs, doctrines, etc.] there in the Quran.


The Quran in one sense is a command to all humans [his creations] to believe and be a Muslim or else they will go to hell to experience the worst possible eternal torture and sufferings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2015, 11:57 PM
 
88 posts, read 35,160 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
I agree with your point in this case.


When Woodrow LI argued the Quran is not a book of commands, he meant there are no commands at all there in.


The Quran is basically a Reminder as stated in the Quran itself.


However on a looser interpretation the whole Quran is a "command" itself from Allah to all, i.e. a command from Allah that all are to be reminded and to follow all the contents [advice, guidance, reminder, specific Commands, warnings, threat, good tidings, signs, doctrines, etc.] there in the Quran.


The Quran in one sense is a command to all humans [his creations] to believe and be a Muslim or else they will go to hell to experience the worst possible eternal torture and sufferings.
Like I said you cannot describe Quran in one word like Commands because whenever Allah commands something like dont have pork and alcohol etc. there is Advice as well. there are several diseases in pork and alcohol.

Quote:
The Quran in one sense is a command to all humans [his creations] to believe and be a Muslim or else they will go to hell to experience the worst possible eternal torture and sufferings
Allah also says that if someone commit sins equal to mountain or filled the universe but if he repents, his all sins will be forgiven and will be replaced with good deeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2015, 12:01 AM
 
Location: Not-a-Theist
3,440 posts, read 1,593,506 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by int007 View Post
Allah also says that if someone commit sins equal to mountain or filled the universe but if he repents, his all sins will be forgiven and will be replaced with good deeds.
This will be a good escape route for the Muslims of ISIS and other terror groups just in case the inadvertently misinterpret certain minor verses but have comply with it with sincerity and piousness.


I am aware some sins are unpardonable, e.g. aligning partners with Allah, disbelieve upon having knowledge of the Quran, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2015, 07:00 AM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,323,236 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
I agree with your point in this case.


When Woodrow LI argued the Quran is not a book of commands, he meant there are no commands at all there in.


The Quran is basically a Reminder as stated in the Quran itself.


However on a looser interpretation the whole Quran is a "command" itself from Allah to all, i.e. a command from Allah that all are to be reminded and to follow all the contents [advice, guidance, reminder, specific Commands, warnings, threat, good tidings, signs, doctrines, etc.] there in the Quran.


The Quran in one sense is a command to all humans [his creations] to believe and be a Muslim or else they will go to hell to experience the worst possible eternal torture and sufferings.
You are misinterpreting what I meant.

Quote:
When Woodrow LI argued the Quran is not a book of commands, he meant there are no commands at all there in.
No where did I ever say: There are no commands in the Qur'an. Several times I did say there are very few commands. I have also said it is not an instruction manual that teaches us how to perform Islam. I did say we do not view it as a book of commands. I did not say it does not contain any commands.
__________________
When posting as a MOD my posts will be in red

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks


MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2015, 08:37 AM
 
88 posts, read 35,160 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
This will be a good escape route for the Muslims of ISIS and other terror groups just in case the inadvertently misinterpret certain minor verses but have comply with it with sincerity and piousness.


I am aware some sins are unpardonable, e.g. aligning partners with Allah, disbelieve upon having knowledge of the Quran, etc.
You are getting more n more predictable with your ISIS card If anyone of those killed any innocent people Allah says his punishment is death. It is also fall in to Haqooq al Ibad which means Human rights and on the day of Judgement, violation of Human rights will not be forgiven unless the victim forgives and Allah will give to the victim good deeds from the account of culprit, furthermore the killer will be punished in this world according to the Law of Allah which is death.

I think you are mistaken that only non-Muslims will be in the hell fire which is a wrong perception. there will be Muslims as well who will be burned in Hell Fire, now what you think ? why those muslims be in hell fire without committing Shirk ? because of those sins and one of them will be killing innocent people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top