U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2015, 07:03 AM

4,609 posts, read 4,126,107 times

Advertisements

In the Judaism forum, one poster said he was unhappy to see the Torah translated into other languages. So how do you feel about the Quran being translated into English?

I recall someone saying, "The Quran can only be understood if you read it in Arabic, and then only if you are an Arab."

Maybe there is a big difference in the way Arabs and Westerners communicate. For example, when Napoleon's army landed in Egypt in 1798, he wrote a proclamation to the Egyptian people. I read an English translation of his proclamation and I thought it was nonsense, but I heard an Arabic writer say it was the greatest document ever written by a Westerner. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 07:37 AM

88 posts, read 35,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
In the Judaism forum, one poster said he was unhappy to see the Torah translated into other languages. So how do you feel about the Quran being translated into English?

I recall someone saying, "The Quran can only be understood if you read it in Arabic, and then only if you are an Arab."

Maybe there is a big difference in the way Arabs and Westerners communicate. For example, when Napoleon's army landed in Egypt in 1798, he wrote a proclamation to the Egyptian people. I read an English translation of his proclamation and I thought it was nonsense, but I heard an Arabic writer say it was the greatest document ever written by a Westerner. Go figure.
There is nothing wrong that Quran translated in English infact it is translated in almost all languages and its a good thing because Allah mentioned in Quran that this book is guidance for the whole of humanity. If people have it in their mother tongue it will help them understand it better however, there are certain verses which cannot be understand without context and there are translations where context is also given at the end of the Pages, if there is something that hard to understand then he should go to the Arabic source for explanation and context.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:52 AM

15,511 posts, read 13,339,951 times
I am in favor of the Translations. But I do hope that readers of translations understand it is an approximation. All translation are actually interpretations. Word to word translation make no sense in English. That holds true for all languages not just Arabic. Also when the languages are not related such as English and Arabic the greater the differences one will find between the original concepts and the translated concepts.

But, most translation in use today are actually guite good approximations and the basic message of the Qur'an can be found in the translations, provided the reader does assume the translation is 100% accurate.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 12-24-2015, 11:05 PM

3,440 posts, read 1,597,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I am in favor of the Translations. But I do hope that readers of translations understand it is an approximation. All translation are actually interpretations. Word to word translation make no sense in English. That holds true for all languages not just Arabic. Also when the languages are not related such as English and Arabic the greater the differences one will find between the original concepts and the translated concepts.

But, most translation in use today are actually guite good approximations and the basic message of the Qur'an can be found in the translations, provided the reader does assume the translation is 100% accurate.
As far as translations of texts are concern there is no such effective thing as 'word to word' translations.
The purpose of translation any texts or speech is centered on primarily getting the essential idea across and the matching of words to words basis is secondary.

As far as the Quran is concerned, it is not accurate to rely on merely a single translation.
To be effective one need the following;

1. Refer to as many translations by different translators as possible. I refer to 45++.
2. Understand the contexts of the verses, chapters and the whole of the Quran.
3. Update on the knowledge of the Philosophy of Religion.
4. Apply the hermeneutical approach.
5. Understand the surround history of the religions
6. Understand the psycho-biography of the founder, i.e. Muhammad
7. Understand the Science, Psychology, neuroscience of God-men and the likes.
8. Read commentaries and critiques from all sides, i.e. Muslims and non-Muslims.
9. Adopt an objective approach
10. Many other relevant perspectives.

With an understanding of the full set of perspective from the above 1-10 it is not likely one will miss out the critical and essential concepts of what the original Quran is about from the translated versions.

Old 12-25-2015, 07:00 AM

4,609 posts, read 4,126,107 times
Thanks for your responses. Your thoughts make very good sense to me.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:43 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,661,631 times
And in truth We have made the Qur'an easy to remember; but is there any that remembereth? The Holy Quran
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or