U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2015, 12:25 AM

3,440 posts, read 1,581,295 times

Advertisements

Quran Chapters according to Theme
Nicolas Starkovsky

I .... The Foundation Of Islamic Belief 1
II... Eschatology And Apocalypsis 41
III.. Stories About The Prophets 89
IV... Attitude Toward The Other Religions 223
V.... Doxologies 335
VI. Legal Matters 381
VII. Fighting In The Way Of God 459

I. Foundation of Islamic Belief
001. The Opening Sura 1
073. The Enfolded 33
074. The Wrapped Up 30
079. The Snatching 36
080. He Frowned 38
081. The Folded Up 14
082. The Cleft Asunder 16
084. The Split Open 18
085. The Constellations 28
086. The Shooting Star 13
087. The Exalted 27
090. The City 35
091. The Sun 21
092. The Night 24
093. The Morning Light 7
094. Reassurance 8
095. The Fig 9
096. The Clot 26
097. The Night of Power 25
099. The Earthquake 12
100. Those Who Race 9
101. The Disaster 11
102. Greed 10
103. The Late Afternoon 6
104. The Slanderer 24
105. The Elephant 20
106. The Kuraish 19
107. Religion 6
108. Abundance 22
109. The Disbelievers 5
111. The Palm Fiber 23
112. The Unity 3
113. The Dawn 4
114. The People 3

II. Eschatology & Apocalypsis
Eschatology : any system of doctrines concerning last, or final, matters, as death, the Judgment, the future state, etc.
Apocalypsis: a prophetic revelation, especially concerning a cataclysm in which the forces of good permanently triumph over the forces of evil.
36. [The Letters] Ya Sin 81
44. The Smoke 62
50. [The Letter] Qaf 75
52. The Mountain 56
53. The Star 78
55. The Compassionate 69
56. The Event 58
68. The Pen 72
69. The Inevitable 50
70. The Steps 52
72. The Jinn 66
75. The Resurrection 47
76. Man 64
77. Those Who Are Sent 41
78. The News 54
83. The Cheaters 45
88. The Overpowering 43
89. The Daybreak 48
III. Stories about Prophets
07. The Heights 135
10. Jonah 186
11. Hood 124
12. Joseph 165
15. Al-Hijr 102
18. The Cave 175
20. [The Letters] Ta Ha 115
26. The Poets 107
27. The Ants 209
28. Stories 154
34. Sheba 216
37. The Ranks 89
38. [The Letter] Sad 204
40. The Believer 197
51. The Scattering 96
54. The Moon 99
71. Noah 163

IV. Attitude to Other Religions
02. The Cow I. Vv. 1-162 286
03. The House of 'Imran I. Vv. 1-109 228
06. The Cattle I. Vv. 1-117 312
14. Abraham 280
16. The Bee 324
19. Mary 248
21. The Prophets 241
23. The Believers 260
25. The Salvation 223
31. Luqman 309
32. Adoration 276
39. The Crowds 267
43. The Ornaments 254
46. The Sand Dunes 304
62. The Assembly 274
64. Loss and Gain 279
98. Clear Evidence 266

V. Doxologies
Doxologies: hymns or form of words containing an ascription of praise to God.
13. The Thunder 349
17. The Night Journey 335
29. The Spider 369
30. The Greeks 345
35. The Angels 365
41. Made Clear 375
42. Mutual Counsel 360
45. Kneeling 355
67. The Kingdom 357

VI. Legal Matters
02. The Cow II. Vv. 163-286 406
04. Women I, Vv. 1-60;105-134 427
05. The Table Set 383
06. The Cattle II, Vv. 118-165 399
22. The Pilgrimage 438
24. The Light 450
49. The Chambers 381
58. The Plaintiff 423
65. Divorce 446
66. Prohibition 448

VII. Conduct of the Holy War
03. The House of 'Imran 499 & II, Vv. 110-200 469
04. Women II, 61-104;135-176 482
08. The Spoils 458
09. Repentance 514
33. The Confederates 503
47. Muhammad 465
48. Victory 496
57. The Iron 499
59. Expulsion 492
60. The Woman Examined 511
61. The Battle Array 478
63. The Hypocrites 480
110. Help 528

Note some of the chapters are broken into parts to fit in the correct theme as indicated by, e.g. II Vv 110-200. The other numbers are the page number 1 to pg. 528.

The above analysis is not very precise but it will give one an idea of what the whole of Quran and thus Islam is about as organized within 7 main themes.

A more accurate analysis is to analyze the 6,236 in terms of ideas or paragraph.
I have done an analysis that is based on the sorting by each verse into 15++ main elements and 300++ sub elements.

The point is once we have done a detailed analysis of the whole of the 6,236 verses of the Quran - thus Islam, there is nothing for any Muslims to give excuses non-Muslims do not know the Quran and Islam.

Any comments to the above.

Last edited by Continuum; 12-30-2015 at 12:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 09:23 AM

15,511 posts, read 13,274,304 times
Can only speak for myself. Totaly pointless and meaningless to me. Looks like an attempt to put Islam into the context of an organization.

I read each Surah as an individual story and within the context of that one surah. I see the Qur'an as being 114 separate books and the only commonality I find among them is each is designed to convey the Single Message that being: "There is no God but Allaah, he has no equals, partners or progeny and only He is to be worshiped"

If a person is reading more that that into it, they have no understanding of Islam.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 12-30-2015, 12:23 PM

4,409 posts, read 1,639,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Can only speak for myself. Totaly pointless and meaningless to me. Looks like an attempt to put Islam into the context of an organization.

I read each Surah as an individual story and within the context of that one surah. I see the Qur'an as being 114 separate books and the only commonality I find among them is each is designed to convey the Single Message that being: "There is no God but Allaah, he has no equals, partners or progeny and only He is to be worshiped"

If a person is reading more that that into it, they have no understanding of Islam.
There was another non-muslim author who "reorganized" Quranic versus in the order of timeline in which they were revealed.
Another meaningless effort.

One of the key to Quran is the Verse 2:2

This book is a guidance for those who are on guard (They are conscious of Allah).

Other than that, one can read Quran all he wants and does whatever he wants with it, it will be little to no benefit to him, IMO.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
There was another non-muslim author who "reorganized" Quranic versus in the order of timeline in which they were revealed.

This book is a guidance for those who are on guard (They are conscious of Allah).

Other than that, one can read Quran all he wants and does whatever he wants with it, it will be little to no benefit to him, IMO.
I agree. For most of my life I read the Qur'an with the wrong reasons. I only understood when I began reading it as a book of guidence and not as a text book that explained Islam or as an instruction manual on how to be a Muslim.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:

I expected the above sort of narrow views from you.

Your views is similar to the narrow minded views of the 5 Blind Men and the Elephant parable.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_men_and_an_elephant
What they reported are the different from each other except of course the common thing is the material is solid.
It [the above parable] has been used to illustrate a range of truths and fallacies; broadly, the parable implies that one's subjective experience can be true, but that such experience is inherently limited by its failure to account for other truths or a totality of truth. [wiki]

The effective technique of learning and understanding the varied elements within a set is to understand them with similar parts and then the whole. Example understand the individual pieces, fit them together to see how they are interrelated together to see the whole picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI"
I see the Qur'an as being 114 separate books and the only commonality I find among them is each is designed to convey the Single Message that being: "There is no God but Allaah, he has no equals, partners or progeny and only He is to be worshiped.
Btw, I am not insisting Starkovsky set of themes is the only and the best approach. It is only one of the approaches and not so refined but nevertheless to give a good start for further analysis.
Not sure what you meant by "organization."
However planning, organizing and systematicity are very useful features and qualities of good communication skills.

Your above narrow views [very 'silo'] are ineffective to get the meaning of the whole picture.

There are many effective approaches to understand the Quran and Islam, e.g.

A. In terms of Verses, Paragraphs, Chapters and Whole of Quran:
1. Understanding the meaning of each verse to its paragraphs then in the context of each chapters and subsequently in the context of the whole Quran and Islam.
2. While understanding each verse, paragraph [one idea] one must also understand how it is interdependent on the verses and paragraphs in other chapters.

B. Organizing the individual verses and paragraphs in common sets.
The Quran was recited over 23 years, naturally there will be repetitions of the same ideas within each chapters. This is why the Quran is not as organized or systematic as any other book and thus of inferior quality for various reasons.
Therefore we need to get similar set of ideas [Framework] in verses and chapters interlinked together to get a better understanding of the whole meaning of the Quran.
This is what Starkovsky did to communicate effectively.

C. Different set of ideas [Framework]
Starkovsky themes is merely on set of ideas which [as I mentioned] is very refine but still useful than grappling with the individual chapters like you insisted.
There can be many set of ideas which are applicable and combining with all sets, e.g.
i. Chronological order of the Quran was recited
ii. Using more refine categories and sub-categories

D. Completeness Control: Always Accounting on the Basis of the 6,236 verses.
What is critical is Completeness Control. If one is very familiar with fool proof problem solving techniques, one will understand the criticalness of Completeness Control.
Whatever views we analyze we must have completeness control, i.e. always taking into account all the 6,236 verses so that nothing is left out.
This is to a full counter against Muslims who offend give excuses in insisting the opponent has not taken into account the context, the other related verses, ideas, do not know Arabic, etc. etc. just to spoil and deflect from the truth of the issue.

By using the above one can understand the whole of the Quran comprehensively and totally. When discussing certain verses, paragraphs [ideas] or the whole Quran, one can fit them into any of the sets of ideas to get a better grasp of the point.

From this approach I am able to claim I have understood the whole message and meaning of the Quran and Islam without missing or overlooking any other elements.

Your insistence of 'I see the Quran as 114 separate books and the commonality ...' is a very 'kindergartenish' approach to understand the Quran.
To reinforce the above point, we need to understand it in the various perspectives and to ensure no perspective is left out we need the set of ideas [or framework] and completeness control.
No wonder you get cornered in most of the points we discussed and have to apply Mcquire's Inoculation Theory and Confirmation Bias to insist on your narrow ways.
With such a narrow approach, I believe you do not have a full understanding of Allah's message as expected in the Quran.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Another narrow minded and 'kindergartenish' view.
As I argued above, reading the Quran is chronological order [as near as possible] is ONE of the many necessary approaches in terms of set of ideas or Framework to get a better understanding of the Quran.
Such recognition of similar patterns and sub-patterns is the default quality of good communication and understanding knowledge.
I always read the Quran in chronological order in complementarity with other set of ideas, e.g. the psychological state of Muhammad, the philosophy of religions, humanity, human nature, etc.

2:2 is totally irrelevant to the point discussed.

Note 25:32
25:32. And those [infidels] who disbelieve say: Why is the Qur’an not revealed unto him all at once? (It is revealed) thus that We may strengthen thy heart therewith; and We have arranged it in right order.
If the Quran is not revealed all at once, we can conclude is it was revealed in Chronological Order to strengthen understanding, thus the Chronological Order is the right order.

We may not be able to reproduce the precise chronological order but a rough start is to separate them into the Meccan versus Medinian chapters.
Some chapters are mixed and they can be roughly separated.

When one is very familiar with the 6,236 verses of Quran one can easily decipher the chronological order [as near as possible to original] of each verse, idea and chapter in the context of the whole of the Quran.
There are many alternative chronological orders from various commentators and one will note other than minor differences in certain chapters, they agree with the bull of the other chapters.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_in_the_Quran
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surah
I rely on Noldeke's Chronological Order and make minor changes to the order which has no great impact on the main Chronological order.

Last edited by Continuum; 12-30-2015 at 09:19 PM..

Old 12-30-2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
Another narrow minded and 'kindergartenish' view.
As I argued above, reading the Quran is chronological order [as near as possible] is ONE of the many necessary approaches in terms of set of ideas or Framework to get a better understanding of the Quran.
Such recognition of similar patterns and sub-patterns is the default quality of good communication and understanding knowledge.
I always read the Quran in chronological order in complementarity with other set of ideas, e.g. the psychological state of Muhammad, the philosophy of religions, humanity, human nature, etc.

2:2 is totally irrelevant to the point discussed.

Note 25:32
25:32. And those [infidels] who disbelieve say: Why is the Qur’an not revealed unto him all at once? (It is revealed) thus that We may strengthen thy heart therewith; and We have arranged it in right order.
If the Quran is not revealed all at once, we can conclude is it was revealed in Chronological Order to strengthen understanding, thus the Chronological Order is the right order.

We may not be able to reproduce the precise chronological order but a rough start is to separate them into the Meccan versus Medinian chapters.
Some chapters are mixed and they can be roughly separated.

When one is very familiar with the 6,236 verses of Quran one can easily decipher the chronological order [as near as possible to original] of each verse, idea and chapter in the context of the whole of the Quran.
There are many alternative chronological orders from various commentators and one will note other than minor differences in certain chapters, they agree with the bull of the other chapters.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_in_the_Quran
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surah
I rely on Noldeke's Chronological Order and make minor changes to the order which has no great impact on the main Chronological order.
All of that would be correct if the following were true.

1. The Quran was a new revelation and replaced any or all previous revelations.

2. Muhammad(saws) or a group of people in Muhammad(saws) name authored the Qur'an

3. The purpose of the Qur'an is to teach people how to be Muslims.

None of those are true.

1. The Qur'an existed prior to the creation of man. The central message of the Quran being the simple lesson "Only Allaah(swt) is to be worshipped. The Quran guides us in understanding why that is true. The Quran was revealed to every Prophet(PBUT) who ever existed and was followed by the Jews, Sabeeans, Christians, Muslims and all monotheistic faiths.

2. The Quran contains the exact words as spoken by Allaah(swt) not the words of any man

3. The Quran does not teach how to be a Muslim, it gives the reason why.

None of that will ever be believed by a person who has not found reason to believe Allaah(swt) exists.

The Quran was revealed countless times in words understandable to the people of the time and place, but us humans have always tried to make it more complex than what it is. It was given the final time to Muhammad(saws) as our last chance to keep it right.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:09 PM

Quote:
All of that would be correct if the following were true.
1. The Quran was a new revelation and replaced any or all previous revelations.
This point is not significant at all.
The Quran is as it is as claimed to be whatever it is.

[/quote]2. Muhammad(saws) or a group of people in Muhammad(saws) name authored the Qur'an[/quote]It is 100% certain it impossible for God to exists as real, therefore the very evident existence of the Quran can only be authored by a person or group of people.
The following chapters related to
1. Muhammad rebuking those who scandalized Ayesha when she came back with a soldier,
2. The permission for a Muslims to marry his adopted son's wife
3. His shunning by his wife upon his affairs with the Coptic woman and his threats against his wife
4. Others
are so personal, with personal interests and tied up with the probable affairs of Muhammad that it is highly possible the Quran was authored by Muhammad.

Quote:
3. The purpose of the Qur'an is to teach people how to be Muslims.
None of those are true.
The contents of the Quran proved otherwise.
As with the saying goes, analogically, the Quran do not feed Muslims with 'fishes' every day but teach them how to fish.
There are sufficient principles along with some detailed instructions to teach people how to be a Muslim.

Quote:
1. The Qur'an existed prior to the creation of man. The central message of the Quran being the simple lesson "Only Allaah(swt) is to be worshipped. The Quran guides us in understanding why that is true. The Quran was revealed to every Prophet(PBUT) who ever existed and was followed by the Jews, Sabeeans, Christians, Muslims and all monotheistic faiths.
This is an insignificant point because there are no original Quran to compare with the present Quran.
All the past holy texts of other religions that exist today are claimed by the Quran to be corrupted version of the original.
So your point the Quran existed prior to the creation of man is useless for comparison purpose.
The Quran is what is it supposed to be, i.e. a reminder delivered to Muhammad via Gabriel starting from 610AD over 23 years.

Quote:
2. The Quran contains the exact words as spoken by Allaah(swt) not the words of any man
Note my response of point 2 above.

Quote:
3. The Quran does not teach how to be a Muslim, it gives the reason why.
Note my response to point 3 above.

Quote:
None of that will ever be believed by a person who has not found reason to believe Allaah(swt) exists.
The Quran was revealed countless times in words understandable to the people of the time and place, but us humans have always tried to make it more complex than what it is. It was given the final time to Muhammad(saws) as our last chance to keep it right.
The basis all human should strive towards is based on rationality, objectivity and supported by justified verifications.

The basis you are proposing is Faith, i.e. beliefs not based on proofs nor reason which can only be done for personal reasons and not collectively for humanity.

Would you accept if I were to [subjectively based on feelings] accused you of murdering X and the judge agree with me because he is my good friend or belong to the same religion/race/culture, etc.
Surely you will disagree on such a verdict because it is based on faith and subjectivity.

It is the same for matter of Islam where one need to understand its basis is faith and subjectivity, thus relevant for personal reason but not for humanity as a collective. E.g. Kuffar can be killed [under certain conditions] because Allah in the Quran of Islam said so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam