U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 07:14 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,274,304 times

Advertisements

Most if not all of us are aware of the 5 obligatory Salah. Those being:

1. Fajr--Our first prayer of the day to be said at first light but before the sun breaks the horizon

2.Dhuhr--Mid day, but after the sun passes directly overhead

3.Asr--Mid-afternoon, about 1/2 way between Dhuhr and Maghreb

4. Maghreb--Evening prayer after sunset but before dark

5. Ishra--Late night prayer after Maghreb and just before bedtime, but always before midnight if we are up late.

Beginning with Fajr, which is both the most difficult and the most important. For many of us it is difficult to consistently wake up in time for Fajr. It is the shortest of the daily prayers but the one we are most apt to miss. Let us first take a look at Fajr.

For myself I have an Athan program installed on my computer and I am awakened by the sound of the Athanl Which also gives me time to do wadu

I find the sound of the Athan to be a very pleasant way to wake up.

After Wadu my wife and I do Fajr, We are over 100 miles from the nearest Mosque so nearly all of our Salah are done at home. We both are also severly disabled and can not perform the motions and have to sit in a chair, doing the prayer in out thoughts.

The joy of Fajr is the peaceful manner in which we make the transition from sleep to being awake. A time for reflections and to look forward to what the day will bring. There is a feeling of closeness to the Ummah as we know that at the same time there are many people doing the exact same thing and we are all facing the very same alter, the Qiblah. There is a sense of connection and a reminding of the Ummah even though we will never meet in person.

If you can share your thoughts of Fajr.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 03:09 AM

I agree it is very good to wake up to the Source of goodness and to be reminded through Fajr. Perhaps that is the greatest value of Fajr, a feeling of rebirth.

Then later in the day when we are ready for rest and nourishment both of the body and of the spirit we are reminded by the Athan

It is time for Dhuhr a much needed break and reminder midday. a fresh relaxation and time for food both physical and spiritual

A time to give thanks for this day and a time for nourishment.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:27 AM

In much of the world for many Muslims we do not get to hear the Athan. but we all have the Athan in our hearts and know it by the posisition of the sun in the sky and by our own body feeling of need for rest and nourishment. We always have our own Masjid(Mosque) it need only be a quiet place large enough to prostrate in. We are never without an Imam because if need be we are our own Imam.

Allaah(swt) has made it easy to perform Salah. Our Mosque can be the ground beneath our feet and our Athan is in our heart. We each are an Imam if need be.

Salah is made easy because it is so important.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:24 AM

Come midafternoon we are beginning to wind down our work or school day, it is time for a break and a bit of rejuvenation to complete the work day. It is then we pause for Asr and contemplate what we have accomplished.

We begin with the Athan

Then comes the Salah

We should look forward to our 5 Salat and not see them as chores, but rather as a refreshing break from the day. We should finish each salah refreshed, not stressed.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:47 AM

Pausing for a moment to clarify something. Although Slah is translated into English as prayer and Salat as prayers They are not quite the English concept of prayer. What is more like those are Dua. Dua are our personal prayers that we say when and where we want and can be in our own words. They are for any reason we desire from giving thanks to asking for forgiveness to simply praising our creator. Even greeting a friend can be a prayer.

We strive to make all our words thoughts and actions to be Dua.As we should be mindful that Allaah(swt) is aware of all things even before we think, say or do them. Our words, thoughts and actions should be a reflection of the Love, Mercy and Goodness of Allaah(swt) We have failed in our dua if we demean or demonize Allaah(swt) with our words, thoughts and actions.

There is no place in Islam for terrorism or to spread fear and hate.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:01 AM

For our last salah before sunset (Maghreb) we begin with the Athan

Typically during Ramadan we break our fast immediately after the Maghreb Salah

Old 01-15-2016, 02:45 PM

Our last obligatory prayer of the day is Isha,

Again if we are fortunate to be near a Mosque we will hear the Athan announcing the call to prayer, or if one is not near a Mosgue they can have Athan software on their computer or smartphone.

The Isha Athan

The Isha Salah

You may notice that each of the 5 obligatory Salat can be said in less than 10 minutes. Which is not much time at all. There should be no excuse for failure to miss any of them. The only 2 that migh interfere with work or school are Dhuhr and Asr however there is flexibility allowed in the time each is said so for most people Dhuhr could be said at lunch time and Asr could be said during the afternoon break or recess. Even between classes.

A benefit of the obligatory prayers are they do teach us how to incorporate worship into daily life and remind us that everything we do should reflect the love and mercy of Allaah(swt)

Old 01-15-2016, 11:28 PM

3,440 posts, read 1,581,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Most if not all of us are aware of the 5 obligatory Salah. Those being:

1. Fajr--Our first prayer of the day to be said at first light but before the sun breaks the horizon

2.Dhuhr--Mid day, but after the sun passes directly overhead

3.Asr--Mid-afternoon, about 1/2 way between Dhuhr and Maghreb

4. Maghreb--Evening prayer after sunset but before dark

5. Ishra--Late night prayer after Maghreb and just before bedtime, but always before midnight if we are up late.
Why must it be 5 prayers a day and not say 3.
The Quran mentioned a Muslim must pray [at certain time of the day] but the Quran did not insist a Muslim must pray 5 times a day in the periods mentioned above.

Personally, within the perspective of spirituality and religion a believer [in this case a Muslim] would be more efficient if they understand the purpose of prayers taking into account the principles, philosophy, mechanics, neuroscience, psychology, and other related perspectives.

Prayers within the religions and spiritual perspective is like physical fitness is to the overall health & well being of the individual.
There is no need to exercise 5 times a day or even every day to maintain one's good health. What is critical in this case is doing it right with understanding and doing it regularly.

Like one do NOT have to go the gym to exercise, [as you have said] there is no need to go to a Mosque to pray every week. There is no need to face a specific direction as well. The Quran mentioned this is to differentiate a Muslim prayer when facing the Kaaba but this identity fall into the negativity of "us versus them."

To enforce prayers 5 times a day with specific rituals is more of a liability to the individual and society in the longer run towards the future of humanity.
Therefore the cons of the Salat is greater than its pros [value].

Old 01-16-2016, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
Why must it be 5 prayers a day and not say 3.
The Quran mentioned a Muslim must pray [at certain time of the day] but the Quran did not insist a Muslim must pray 5 times a day in the periods mentioned above.

Personally, within the perspective of spirituality and religion a believer [in this case a Muslim] would be more efficient if they understand the purpose of prayers taking into account the principles, philosophy, mechanics, neuroscience, psychology, and other related perspectives.

Prayers within the religions and spiritual perspective is like physical fitness is to the overall health & well being of the individual.
There is no need to exercise 5 times a day or even every day to maintain one's good health. What is critical in this case is doing it right with understanding and doing it regularly.

Like one do NOT have to go the gym to exercise, [as you have said] there is no need to go to a Mosque to pray every week. There is no need to face a specific direction as well. The Quran mentioned this is to differentiate a Muslim prayer when facing the Kaaba but this identity fall into the negativity of "us versus them."

To enforce prayers 5 times a day with specific rituals is more of a liability to the individual and society in the longer run towards the future of humanity.
Therefore the cons of the Salat is greater than its pros [value].
The reason we face the Qiblah during Salah is for the same reasons Christians and Jews face an alter during prayer. A central focal point. Except with Islam there is only one alter which is located in the Kabaah. There are no individual alters in Mosques.

The 5 times for Salah are at crucial times in the day, not specific times. The actual times will vary in accordance with the time of the year. They do vary several minutes each day from the previous depending on the time of the year and the location.

Keep in mind the Salah is not prayers in the English meaning of Prayer. That would be our Dua. There is no specific time or obligatory number of duas we have to do nor any specific direction, required words or required actions

But those of us who have established the daily Salat do find considerable benefit and enjoyment in doing such.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:54 PM

3,440 posts, read 1,581,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
The reason we face the Qiblah during Salah is for the same reasons Christians and Jews face an alter during prayer. A central focal point. Except with Islam there is only one alter which is located in the Kabaah. There are no individual alters in Mosques.
Since Allah is everywhere, East, West and nearer to one's jugular vein a Muslims should be able face Allah anywhere.
That Muslims must face the Kaabah do represent a central focal point but I believe the main purpose is this in 2:143 [mine]
2:143 ...... And We appointed the qiblah [in Jerusalem] which ye [Muslims] formerly observed only that We might know him [Muslim] who followeth the messenger, [to differentiate] from him [the infidel] who turneth on his heels [from the faith]. .....
I believe the purpose of the Kaabah in Mecca is the same as what was intended for the Kaabah in Jerusalem.
Would you dispute the above?

Quote:
The 5 times for Salah are at crucial times in the day, not specific times. The actual times will vary in accordance with the time of the year. They do vary several minutes each day from the previous depending on the time of the year and the location.
Allah did not specifically said 5 times in the Quran. So the 5 times by later scholars are not based on Allah's own words but invented by humans thus carry no divine authority in Islam. The scholars are putting words into Allah's mouth thus in a way is corrupting the Quran as what the Jews and Christians were accused of.
Agree?

Quote:
Keep in mind the Salah is not prayers in the English meaning of Prayer. That would be our Dua. There is no specific time or obligatory number of duas we have to do nor any specific direction, required words or required actions

But those of us who have established the daily Salat do find considerable benefit and enjoyment in doing such.
Within all humans there is the generic religious and spiritual system. Prayers in various forms are element of this system.

The problem here is Muslims [you included in this case] have been brainwashed with a sense of false arrogance to think their religions is superior over all other religions and spirituality, thus the Muslims prayers [proudly differentiated as Salat] is special and different.

I suggest you brush up on anthropology and the generic topic of 'prayer,'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayer

I understand the Muslims concept of 'Dua' [asking for favors, etc.] is the same of what Christians and others are supplicating [as favors from God] is generally recognized as prayers.
If you study this general topic of 'prayer' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayer, one will note it cover a very wide topic where the Islamic Salat and its 'Dua' are various forms of the generic prayer.

Prayers by Primitives
Some anthropologists believed humans have been performing 'prayers' long long time ago before there were organized religions. So there is nothing special with the Islamic 'Salat.'

Neuroscientifical Basis
Neuroscientists have studied the common neural mechanics of 'prayers'.
One scientific movement attempts to track the physical effects of prayer through neuroscience. Leaders in this movement include Andrew Newberg, an Associate Professor at the University of Pennsylvania. In Newberg's brain scans, monks, priests, nuns and gurus alike have exceptionally focused attention and compassion sites. -wiki
The Muslim Prayer a Net-Liability to the Individual and Humanity
I believe while the Muslims 'Salat' [one form of Islam's prayers] enable positive effects to the individual Muslim, the overall effect is a net-negative to the individual and humanity.

Why?
1. The number of times [cost in term of time and preparation] a Muslims have to pray on a daily basis outweigh the little benefits of the Salat, especially in a work situation.

2. The repetition of the Al Fatiha subliminally brainwash the individual and group of Muslims with certain elements of evil, i.e. us versus them, anger, 'hatred' 'arrogance' against Jews, Christians and non-Muslims.

Note Al Fatiha 1:-6-7 [mine]
1:6. Show us the Straight Path, 7 - The path of those whom Thou hast favoured; Not (the path) of those [Jews - Infidels] who earn Thine anger nor of those [Christians -Infidels] who astray.
The above verses differentiate the paths of the Jews and Christians as inferior and the emotions of anger and condemnation is invoked in the individual Muslims.
The above verses alone may not trigger 'hatred' but when read in the context of the whole Quran's tons of evil laden verses against Jews, Christians and infidels, then it become significant and active in the mind of SOME vulnerable Muslims.

Imagine the impact of these 'us versus them' verses of 'hatred' and contempt that are repeated in the mind of Muslims on a daily basis, 5 times a day and within each rakka [number of times depending on different Madhabs].

In addition, the 'hatred' of non-Muslims within this element of the 'Salat' is usually 'pumped' up by the clergy [who read the Quran day in day out] on Friday prayers and elsewhere.

It is true 80% of the 1.5 billion Muslims will not be influenced by the evil elements but if only 20% [conservatively] are vulnerable to it, then we have a pool of 300 million evil prone Muslims who are ready to strike at non-Muslims in whatever ways they think is sanctioned by Allah.

For a start, verse 1:6-7 must be removed from the daily Salat because they have subliminal malignant evil potentials on the minority of vulnerable minds.

Last edited by Continuum; 01-16-2016 at 10:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or