U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-11-2016, 12:50 PM
 
4,899 posts, read 2,720,562 times
Reputation: 4398

Advertisements

I really don't understand why there is such denial on this issue when it is in fact a problem as noted in the OP.

I read today that some politicians in Egypt would like to ban the veil in public. These are all positive steps towards modernizing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ils-in-public/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-11-2016, 03:26 PM
 
3,167 posts, read 1,037,948 times
Reputation: 289
There is no denial. There certainly is a problem for women living in Arab countries.

Face veil is not required in Islam unless a woman has make up on to make herself pretty or more beautiful whilst in the company of those other than her husband, father, brother etc. Without make up (natural look), there is no requirement in Islam for women to have face veil particularly in the West.

My mother, sisters, wife, and daughters have never worn face veil anywhere even when travelling to Saudi Arabia for hajj or umra.
i won't oppose face veil ban for security reasons even if it is claimed to be Islamic.

Those who break the laws of the country they are living in outside their native country should be prosecuted and jailed until they learn fully how to be law-abiding citizens in their adopted country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2016, 08:31 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,282,205 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
There is no denial. There certainly is a problem for women living in Arab countries.

Face veil is not required in Islam unless a woman has make up on to make herself pretty or more beautiful whilst in the company of those other than her husband, father, brother etc. Without make up (natural look), there is no requirement in Islam for women to have face veil particularly in the West.

My mother, sisters, wife, and daughters have never worn face veil anywhere even when travelling to Saudi Arabia for hajj or umra.
i won't oppose face veil ban for security reasons even if it is claimed to be Islamic.

Those who break the laws of the country they are living in outside their native country should be prosecuted and jailed until they learn fully how to be law-abiding citizens in their adopted country.
A woman is forbidden to wear a niqqab (veil) while on Ummrah or Hajj in Mecca and Medina. Which should suffice as proof it is not a requirement.

Also all Muslims are obligated to obey the laws of any nation they live in of are visiting in. If one can not they should not enter the country and if they are in a country they can not abide by the laws they are obligated to leave as fast as they can.
__________________
When posting as a MOD my posts will be in red

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks


MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2016, 01:09 AM
 
Location: Not-a-Theist
3,440 posts, read 1,583,450 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
A woman is forbidden to wear a niqqab (veil) while on Ummrah or Hajj in Mecca and Medina. Which should suffice as proof it is not a requirement.

Also all Muslims are obligated to obey the laws of any nation they live in of are visiting in. If one can not they should not enter the country and if they are in a country they can not abide by the laws they are obligated to leave as fast as they can.
The proof a Muslimah do not have to cover her hair is in the Quran, i.e. Allah said so and very clearly.


Generally all people must obey the Law of any nation they are in.
However if any laws of any country are below the standard of normal human dignity, they should be criticized and exhorted to change it as soon as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2016, 01:57 AM
 
3,167 posts, read 1,037,948 times
Reputation: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
The proof a Muslimah do not have to cover her hair is in the Quran, i.e. Allah said so and very clearly.
Where in the Qur'an? VERSE NUMBER PLEASE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2016, 09:14 PM
 
Location: Not-a-Theist
3,440 posts, read 1,583,450 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
Where in the Qur'an? VERSE NUMBER PLEASE!
There is no where in the Quran where Allah ordained that a Muslimah must cover her hair.
Verse 24:31 did mention a Muslimah must cover her bosom [cleavage].

I agree there should be some degree of modesty but for a religion to set the rule that a Muslimah must cover her cleavage in public and as immutable law for eternity, is immature.
It is human nature, instinctual [whether one like it or not] and naturally for matured males to focus on the cleavage of the female.
Why?
The human males has been programmed by nature to focus on the female's cleavage to scan the female is healthy and fit enough to have milk for his future offsprings.
A lot of research have been done on this aspect of evolutionary psychology.

If there is a need to cover up, any rule should be temporary, conditions and not be fixed permanently till eternity.

Instead of forcing the females to cover up her cleavage by theological laws that are fixed till eternity and threat of sin, the religion should introduce effectively spiritual techniques to control their believer's lusts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2016, 11:51 PM
 
3,167 posts, read 1,037,948 times
Reputation: 289
Then there is no proof in the Qur'an that a Muslimah has to cover her hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2016, 12:01 AM
 
Location: Not-a-Theist
3,440 posts, read 1,583,450 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
Then there is no proof in the Qur'an that a Muslimah has to cover her hair.
Show me where did I state, a Muslimah has to cover her hair?
Don't raise unnecessary straw man.

Earlier I stated the following;
The proof a Muslimah do not have to cover her hair is in the Quran, i.e. Allah said so and very clearly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2016, 11:35 AM
 
3,167 posts, read 1,037,948 times
Reputation: 289
Where did Allah say in the Qur'an that a Muslimah do not have to cover her hair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2016, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,282,205 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
Where did Allah say in the Qur'an that a Muslimah do not have to cover her hair?
Good point as the Jews, Sabeean and Christian women did cover their hair in accordance with earlier scripture.
__________________
When posting as a MOD my posts will be in red

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks


MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top