U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2016, 05:30 PM

3,228 posts, read 2,852,261 times

Advertisements

There is only two weeks until my Toronto trip and while I did reach out to the Imam of the mosque, I never heard back from him. I am still going to go, but I was wondering what time I should arrive? I will be taking public transit and was going to get there by 11:30 AM. Would that be too early? And since it is my first time there, are there any customs for someone new?

The last time I went to one elsewhere, I reached out before I went and had a response. I met the Imam's wife beforehand and she introduced me.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 01:42 AM

3,166 posts, read 1,035,813 times
Friday prayer in Toronto, as with everywhere else, is soon after midday. The sequence would be:

12.10 the first call (Adhan)

12.30 the second call and Khutba (Sermon) by Imam

12.40 the actual formal prayer by all begins

Imam would be in masjid by about 12.15pm in any masjid with the above timings. It all depends on which masjid as there is usually a longer speech by the imam in some masajid which often begins at around 12.15, which means the imam would be there before that time. Whatever the case, Friday prayer never begins before or at noon but about 10 minutes afterwards.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:40 PM

Shukran, Khalif! I'll plan to leave at the original time - I rather be early than late because as I said this is my first time in Toronto (and Canada) and not sure of their transit.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:57 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,274,304 times
As Brother Khalif already said 12(15 will be the earliest time probable for the Khutba to begin. At every Mosque I have been in the Imam will be there no later than 12:10

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 03-25-2016, 03:09 AM

I think I will also meet with him as well. Introduce myself.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:45 AM

15,511 posts, read 13,274,304 times
One thing to keep in mind is many Mosques in the Americas do not have a full time Imam. It is not unusual for the person who builds the Mosque to call them self the Imam but they may just be responsible for the bills and upkeep and the oldest person present at prayer time be the one who leads the prayers.

I have absolutely no knowledge of the Mosques in Toronto just the ones I been to in Texas, Louisiana and North Dakota and am basing my experiences upon them.It was quite a surprise when I first accepted Islam and my first time in a Mosque, being the oldest person there I was expected to lead the prayers.

Remember we have no ordained clergy and there is no Central Agency that assigns Imams to a Mosque. Although the larger Mosques have usually been built by the local Muslim community and they have usually appointed at least one Imam.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or