Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 04:11 AM

3,640 posts, read 39,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
Frankly you are very ignorant of reality and human nature.
Frankly you are ignotrant about the Arabic terms in the Qur'an. You don't understand them unless you change them into English terms which are not then exactly the same terms.

Quote:
You are so desperate that you want to live in your own made believed world of illusion and fantasy.
Get real!
You want to understand the Qur'an in English loose terms but not Arabic precise terms? You will always be lagging behind. Be warned!

Quote:
What is 'faith'?i
The question should be, what is eeman (the precise term).

Quote:
Faith is general understood by the whole world as;
Faith = belief that is not based on proof:
Faith | Define Faith at Dictionary.com
I would add, faith = beliefs without proofs nor justifiable reasons.
Eeman is not "generally understood" other than by Muslims. Non-muslims generally understand faith (loose term in English) and often do things in good faith. Thus there is good faith and bad faith (loose terms in English) for them. There is no bad eeman but just eeman (precise Arabic term).

Quote:
Religions that rely on "faith" [believing] are also called "faiths" [religions]
In English, "religion" is a loose term. In English, "faith" is a loose term. In English, "believing" is a loose term. BUT "deen" in Arabic Qur'an is precise term. In Arabic Qur'an, "eeman" is a precise term. In Arabic Qur'an, "amanoo" is a precise term.

Quote:
LOGICALLY;
If Eeman is equal to faith, and
faith = believing not based on proofs nor justifiable reason
then logically
Eeman = believe [not based on proofs nor justifiable reasons].
LOGICALLY:
if eeman is faith in Allah and faith in all that proceeds from Allah then it is a precise term applicable only in that particular sense. Such eeman cannot be faith in anything else such as in wife, in husband, in friend or in an idol etc. etc.

The only way for you to understand "eeman" is in Arabic precise term.

Quote:
Eeman is thus generally 'believe' in the loose term.
"Believe" is thus generally in the loose sense and is loose term rather than precise term "eeman" in the Arabic Qur'an.

Quote:
Eeman in the strict term is represented by the 6 pillars of eeman.
This precise term in the Arabic Qur'an depends on eeman about Allah only. The other 5 of 6 pillars are merely subsections of eeman about Allah. There would be no eeman in messengers of Allah, no eeman in books (revelations) from Allah if there was no eeman about Allah, In other words -
and this most important for you to understand - all 6 pillars of eeman are intrinsically linked and, in reality, is One Pillar of Islam.
Therefore eeman is precise term in the Arabic Qur'an. There is no equivalent loose term of eeman as is of secular term "believe" or the secular English word "faith".

Quote:
Since Arabs and Muslims are human beings, there is no difference in the term 'believe' as practiced by all other human beings.
I "believe" you are human being. You also "believe" that I am human being. I "believe" you do not practice Islam as I do. That does not mean that both of us have eeman.

Quote:
What is different is only in their forms and not the fundamental principle of belief.
The whole belief is different.

Quote:
I will introduce an OP to discuss the reality of believe and beliefs within human beings.
Btw, the forms and practices of eeman in Islam is inferior to other mainstream religions.
Your belief is unbelief according to the language of the Qur'an. Your belief is in secular loose sense. Eeman is preise Islamic term?

Quote:
I did not state it is "confirmed" in 49:14 but I said it was confirmed in 49:17.
Now who is the lying one.
It isn't "confirmed" even in 49:17. You still lie.

Quote:
49:14 imply the wandering Arabs do not have eeman in the strict sense, but that do not confirm they do not have eeman in the loose sense.
There is no loose term for eeman. It is only precise term. Any imagined loose term about eeman would be secular loose term "believe" rather than "eeman".

Quote:
In 49:14 when the wandering Arabs stated "We believe" the reality is this;

We believe [loose sense] and we believe [strict] sense.
Allah conveyed, no, the wandering have not believe in the strict sense yet, they have only submitted.
The wandering believed in the loose sense but this point is not critical on the issue.
In 49:14, wandering Arabs claimed that they had eeman. Clearly, they did not have eeman in Allah. They had only submitted (in secular loose sense) to Muhammad. One submits to Allah only after having eeman in Allah.

Quote:
Analogy:
It is like when a group say
We think [loose sense] and we are "thinkers" [strict sense].
Then the master would reply, you are not "thinkers" [strict] but speculating.
There is no need to mention thinking in the loose sense because thinking [loose] is part of speculating.
That's what the Master had said that they were not mu'mineen (that they did not have eeman) but were only speculating (loose term) to be "believers" (secular loose term) as the eeman hasn't even entered their hearts.

Quote:
In context, when there is no specific indication that word "mumineen" is used loosely in general.
All munineen have eeman but the eeman in this context is in the loose term.
You are only speculating. Only Allah knows whether they have eeman or not. Therefore, if Allah says they are mu'mineen or if Allah addresses them as "mu'mineen in the Qur'an then you have no leg to stand on in your secular thinking mode.

Quote:
When Allah introduced the concept of grades, degrees and ranked in the Quran, these terms are shifting the context to eeman in the strict term.
A mumin in the strict term is one special grade of Muslim [loose] and has achieved a reasonable degree of eeman by performing the 6 pillars of eeman,
You do not "perfom" 6 pillars of eeman. You have eeman in all. Once you have eeman in Allah, you also have eeman in what poceeds from Allah (the other intrinsically linked 5 pillars). The grades are not of "eeman" but of achievement in term of practical deeds after having eeman.

Quote:
When eeman [loose] is used generally, there is no indication or context about grades, degrees, ranking nor rewards appropriate to their deeds.
You still can't understand that eeman has no grades as it is precise term that can't be graded in loose or tight terms. Deeds are submittings; not believings (loose term).

Quote:
In this case eeman is not a precise term at all.
The case you have just imagined has nothng to do with eeman but deeds.

Quote:
There is the term 'God' [loose] which is applicable to any god as understood conventionally.

Allah [strict] is not The God [still loose], but a specific "God" that is monotheistic and described in the Quran recited by Muhammad via Gabriel within 610-632AD. This is Allah in the strict sense.
This is Allah in precise term in the Qur'an. It can't have plural term, gender term or loose term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 01:44 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,642,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
Frankly you are ignotrant about the Arabic terms in the Qur'an. You don't understand them unless you change them into English terms which are not then exactly the same terms.

You want to understand the Qur'an in English loose terms but not Arabic precise terms? You will always be lagging behind. Be warned!
You are ignorant here.
I am not too concern whether it is a English, Arabic, any language term.
What is critical is whether the term relates to reality and truth.
The term in whatever language is just a communication tool.

Your problem is you do not understand reality and human nature.
You are only interested and controlled by your internal psychological reality and not reality as it is.

Quote:
The question should be, what is eeman (the precise term).

Eeman is not "generally understood" other than by Muslims. Non-muslims generally understand faith (loose term in English) and often do things in good faith. Thus there is good faith and bad faith (loose terms in English) for them. There is no bad eeman but just eeman (precise Arabic term).

In English, "religion" is a loose term. In English, "faith" is a loose term. In English, "believing" is a loose term. BUT "deen" in Arabic Qur'an is precise term. In Arabic Qur'an, "eeman" is a precise term. In Arabic Qur'an, "amanoo" is a precise term.
There is bad faith in general.
However eeman [loose or strict] is by default good for a Muslim.

You got it wrong again.
In English as with any language there is religion, faith, believe in both the strict and loose sense.
Precise and precision meant one must use the term with its correct meaning and not senses.
For example if you intend to "get out" of your house but you use the term "enter into" the house, then that is not the precise term.

Do you understand what is meaning [precision in usage] and the different senses [strict or loose].

Quote:
LOGICALLY:
if eeman is faith in Allah and faith in all that proceeds from Allah then it is a precise term applicable only in that particular sense. Such eeman cannot be faith in anything else such as in wife, in husband, in friend or in an idol etc. etc.
Yours is very bad logic.

Correct logic is;
if eeman [loose] is faith [loose] in Allah and
faith [loose] in all that proceeds from Allah
then it is a precise term applicable only in that particular sense [loose].
This applies to eeman or believer in general [loose] sense.

if eeman [strict] is faith [strict] in Allah and
faith [strict] in all that proceeds from Allah
then it is a precise term applicable only in that particular sense [strict].
This applies to eeman or believer in the strict sense, i.e. sufficient 6 pillars of eeman.

Quote:
The only way for you to understand "eeman" is in Arabic precise term.
"Believe" is thus generally in the loose sense and is loose term rather than precise term "eeman" in the Arabic Qur'an.
This precise term in the Arabic Qur'an depends on eeman about Allah only. The other 5 of 6 pillars are merely subsections of eeman about Allah. There would be no eeman in messengers of Allah, no eeman in books (revelations) from Allah if there was no eeman about Allah, In other words -
and this most important for you to understand - all 6 pillars of eeman are intrinsically linked and, in reality, is One Pillar of Islam.
Therefore eeman is precise term in the Arabic Qur'an. There is no equivalent loose term of eeman as is of secular term "believe" or the secular English word "faith".
I know your thoughts on this topic is such a mess.
This is why I deliberate started a thread to discuss 'what is belief' in every perspective of reality.

Note Allah is communicating with humans and humans normally use terms in the strict and loose sense.
Thus to facilitate communications with humans, Allah had used terms in the strict and loose sense.

Quote:
I "believe" you are human being. You also "believe" that I am human being. I "believe" you do not practice Islam as I do. That does not mean that both of us have eeman.
If you refer to believe or eeman in the loose sense, then I do have eeman on certain non-Islamic beliefs. Point is I do not use the term eeman but rather the term 'believe' loose sense.

Quote:
The whole belief is different.

Your belief is unbelief according to the language of the Qur'an. Your belief is in secular loose sense. Eeman is preise Islamic term?

It isn't "confirmed" even in 49:17. You still lie.

There is no loose term for eeman. It is only precise term. Any imagined loose term about eeman would be secular loose term "believe" rather than "eeman".

In 49:14, wandering Arabs claimed that they had eeman. Clearly, they did not have eeman in Allah. They had only submitted (in secular loose sense) to Muhammad. One submits to Allah only after having eeman in Allah.

That's what the Master had said that they were not mu'mineen (that they did not have eeman) but were only speculating (loose term) to be "believers" (secular loose term) as the eeman hasn't even entered their hearts.

You are only speculating. Only Allah knows whether they have eeman or not. Therefore, if Allah says they are mu'mineen or if Allah addresses them as "mu'mineen in the Qur'an then you have no leg to stand on in your secular thinking mode.

You do not "perfom" 6 pillars of eeman. You have eeman in all. Once you have eeman in Allah, you also have eeman in what poceeds from Allah (the other intrinsically linked 5 pillars). The grades are not of "eeman" but of achievement in term of practical deeds after having eeman.

You still can't understand that eeman has no grades as it is precise term that can't be graded in loose or tight terms. Deeds are submittings; not believings (loose term).

The case you have just imagined has nothng to do with eeman but deeds.

This is Allah in precise term in the Qur'an. It can't have plural term, gender term or loose term.
I suggest you educate yourself on what is belief which is generic to all human beings, then understand what is belief in the different forms. i.e. secular and theological and others.

Quote:
Again you are ignorant in this case and refuse to accept reality.
Note I raised a thread to discuss 48:4
48:4 Add Faith to Faith
to demonstrate that eeman is incremental when Allah provide the conditions for one to increase one's eeman.
This imply that eeman has grades from 1-100.

It is Allah who state that eeman has grades re 48:4 and in many other verses in the Quran.

You are so desperate that you even dare to imply Allah is wrong.
Suggest you read the Quran at least 50 times and taking into account the above points.

Old 04-17-2016, 12:36 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:
You are ignorant here.
I am not too concern whether it is a English, Arabic, any language term.
What is critical is whether the term relates to reality and truth.
The term in whatever language is just a communication tool.

Your problem is you do not understand reality and human nature.
You are only interested and controlled by your internal psychological reality and not reality as it is.

There is bad faith in general.
However eeman [loose or strict] is by default good for a Muslim.

You got it wrong again.
In English as with any language there is religion, faith, believe in both the strict and loose sense.
Precise and precision meant one must use the term with its correct meaning and not senses.
For example if you intend to "get out" of your house but you use the term "enter into" the house, then that is not the precise term.

Do you understand what is meaning [precision in usage] and the different senses [strict or loose].

Yours is very bad logic.

Correct logic is;
if eeman [loose] is faith [loose] in Allah and
faith [loose] in all that proceeds from Allah
then it is a precise term applicable only in that particular sense [loose].
This applies to eeman or believer in general [loose] sense.

if eeman [strict] is faith [strict] in Allah and
faith [strict] in all that proceeds from Allah
then it is a precise term applicable only in that particular sense [strict].
This applies to eeman or believer in the strict sense, i.e. sufficient 6 pillars of eeman.

I know your thoughts on this topic is such a mess.
This is why I deliberate started a thread to discuss 'what is belief' in every perspective of reality.

Note Allah is communicating with humans and humans normally use terms in the strict and loose sense.
Thus to facilitate communications with humans, Allah had used terms in the strict and loose sense.

If you refer to believe or eeman in the loose sense, then I do have eeman on certain non-Islamic beliefs. Point is I do not use the term eeman but rather the term 'believe' loose sense.

I suggest you educate yourself on what is belief which is generic to all human beings, then understand what is belief in the different forms. i.e. secular and theological and others.

Again you are ignorant in this case and refuse to accept reality.
Note I raised a thread to discuss 48:4
48:4 Add Faith to Faith
to demonstrate that eeman is incremental when Allah provide the conditions for one to increase one's eeman.
This imply that eeman has grades from 1-100.

It is Allah who state that eeman has grades re 48:4 and in many other verses in the Quran.

You are so desperate that you even dare to imply Allah is wrong.
Suggest you read the Quran at least 50 times and taking into account the above points.
I think you are basing your view upon the premise that Eeman translates into the English word Belief or Faith. many translators do that. It is an error Eeman is not belief the Arabic word that comes closest to the English Belief is yusaddiq, not Eeman. While Belief is required for Eeman Eeman is a specific Arabic word that entails belief in the concept of believing Islam is the Truth, Allaah(swt) exists and the Qur'an is the actual words of Allaah(swt). Eeman is related specifically to Islamic belief, it is a religious attribute not the generic concept of the English word belief.

If you are talking of yusaddiq I would agree with your view 100% as you are describing yusaddiq very well, but yusaddiq is not a Muslim specific word like Eeman is.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I think you are basing your view upon the premise that Eeman translates into the English word Belief or Faith. many translators do that. It is an error Eeman is not belief the Arabic word that comes closest to the English Belief is yusaddiq, not Eeman. While Belief is required for Eeman Eeman is a specific Arabic word that entails belief in the concept of believing Islam is the Truth, Allaah(swt) exists and the Qur'an is the actual words of Allaah(swt). Eeman is related specifically to Islamic belief, it is a religious attribute not the generic concept of the English word belief.

If you are talking of yusaddiq I would agree with your view 100% as you are describing yusaddiq very well, but yusaddiq is not a Muslim specific word like Eeman is.
I understand your point but you had failed to understand my point based on reality and human nature.

"Eeman" when used in the general or loose sense is the same as the generic belief in any language [English or otherwise]. In this case eeman [loose] is the same as yusaddiq [re your term].
The Quran used the term eeman [believe, faith] in the strict and loose sense and one can detect that within its appropriate context.

But when eeman is used in the strict sense, then it relate only to Islam & Quran and nothing else.
In this case eeman [strict] must be qualified with the main [6 less or more] pillars of eeman from the Quran.
Thus in English we can define eeman as belief or faith in the strict sense that must be accompanied by elements of the 6 pillars of eeman.
Because eeman [strict] is only confined to Islam and the Quran, we cannot use eeman [strict] for any other purpose because others belief do not entailed the 6 pillars of eeman.

What is critical here is to take into account the strict and loose sense of eeman.

We can use eeman in the loose sense for Christianity which is faith in the loose sense.
But we cannot use eeman in the strict sense for Christianity because there are no 6 pillars of eeman [to that effect] in the NT.
In the stricter sense of belief and faith in Christianity, it is called "grace" or some other term which is specific only to Christianity.

Btw, faith and belief which are verifiable in the secular sense is objective 'knowledge' as in scientific empirical knowledge which can be testable and repeatable by any one who want to do it.
Technically [normally not done] we can even use eeman [belief in the loose sense] for scientific knowledge but we cannot use eeman [strict] sense for scientific knowledge.

Get my point?

Old 04-18-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I understand your point but you had failed to understand my point based on reality and human nature.

"Eeman" when used in the general or loose sense is the same as the generic belief in any language [English or otherwise]. In this case eeman [loose] is the same as yusaddiq [re your term].
The Quran used the term eeman [believe, faith] in the strict and loose sense and one can detect that within its appropriate context.

But when eeman is used in the strict sense, then it relate only to Islam & Quran and nothing else.
In this case eeman [strict] must be qualified with the main [6 less or more] pillars of eeman from the Quran.
Thus in English we can define eeman as belief or faith in the strict sense that must be accompanied by elements of the 6 pillars of eeman.
Because eeman [strict] is only confined to Islam and the Quran, we cannot use eeman [strict] for any other purpose because others belief do not entailed the 6 pillars of eeman.

What is critical here is to take into account the strict and loose sense of eeman.

We can use eeman in the loose sense for Christianity which is faith in the loose sense.
But we cannot use eeman in the strict sense for Christianity because there are no 6 pillars of eeman [to that effect] in the NT.
In the stricter sense of belief and faith in Christianity, it is called "grace" or some other term which is specific only to Christianity.

Btw, faith and belief which are verifiable in the secular sense is objective 'knowledge' as in scientific empirical knowledge which can be testable and repeatable by any one who want to do it.
Technically [normally not done] we can even use eeman [belief in the loose sense] for scientific knowledge but we cannot use eeman [strict] sense for scientific knowledge.

Get my point?
I think you are still defining eeman as the English belief.

An analogy would be the Christian term Baptism. While Baptism does translate directly from Koin Grees "Immersion in Water" I doubt you will find many Christians who would agree being immersed in water constitutes Baptism.

From someone who knows more about Islam than I do:
Quote:
Imân comes from the Arabic root amana, whose original linguistic meaning signifies calmness of the soul and freedom from fear. It also means safety and security, which result from a sound relationship with Allah. (Also, the related word amâna refers to a sacred trust that has been given to someone, who then must protect and fulfill that trust, whether it is a promise, safeguarding someone’s property, secret, reputation, and the like.)
Safety and Faith: The Meaning of Iman

Old 04-18-2016, 11:11 PM

Quote:
I think you are still defining eeman as the English belief.

An analogy would be the Christian term Baptism. While Baptism does translate directly from Koin Grees "Immersion in Water" I doubt you will find many Christians who would agree being immersed in water constitutes Baptism.

I hope there is no intention on your part to deceive.

Note the full article.

Quote:
Imân is one of the most common words of the Muslim vocabulary.
It [Iman] is often translated as faith, belief, or conviction.
At its most basic meaning, imân is belief in God (Allah), His prophets, revealed books, angels, the Hereafter, and Allah’s divine decree.

Imân is considered the most important boundary in human life, for it draws the line between two of the most disparate conditions a person will ever confront:
between belief and disbelief;
morality and capriciousness; and,
ultimately, Heaven and Hell.
Anyone who replaces [his] faith with disbelief has strayed away from the straight way (Quran, 2:108); Those who sell God’s covenant and their faith for a small price shall have no share [of Paradise in] the Hereafter (Quran, 3:77).
Imân is the only mark of a person’s identity that holds any real meaning. Everything else—ethnicity, language, skin color, profession, wealth, palaces, and so on—is meaningless when compared to the gigantic matter of faith.
Nothing else in human life—no perfection or success in any other realm of existence—can possibly compensate for the loss in imân.

The higher meaning of imân refers to the strength of one’s belief in these truths and the degree to which a person lives his or her life in accordance with them, for imân is something that may increase or decrease in a person:
Indeed, it is but the believers whose hearts tremble out of awe when God is mentioned. And when His verses are recited to them, it increases them in faith (Quran, 8:2);
As for those who believe, [the revelation of the Quran] increased them in faith and they rejoice (Quran, 9:124);
[God] sent down tranquility into the hearts of the believers so that they may have more faith added to their faith (Quran, 48:4).
The significance of imân is only meaningful in this life, in which we have choice. For when we die and veils are removed, the most desperate and despicable of human beings will suddenly rush to claim their belief in Allah and the reality of the Hereafter. But it will be too late: But when they saw Our doom [in the Hereafter], their [sudden] declaration of faith could not benefit them (Quran, 40:85).
Imân comes from the Arabic root amana, whose original linguistic meaning signifies calmness of the soul and freedom from fear. It also means safety and security, which result from a sound relationship with Allah. (Also, the related word amâna refers to a sacred trust that has been given to someone, who then must protect and fulfill that trust, whether it is a promise, safeguarding someone’s property, secret, reputation, and the like.)
You will note the author of the article has explained "iman" in exactly the same as what I have been doing which is the same as the generic belief [English or any language]. Note the highlighted elements, i.e.
-strength of one's belief - weak or strong,
-degrees of belief,
-increase and decrease re 48:4

So I am right is equating eeman [strict] with belief [strict].
I have read views of many other Islamic scholars and Muslims and they agree with my views.

Your reference to the root meaning is not critical in this case.

If you agree with the above author's view there should be no dispute with what I had presented, i.e.

My stand is;

1. Eeman in the loose sense is the Arabic word for belief [loose] which is the same as yussadiq. This relation is not done commonly, but semantically this two words are the same, i.e. eeman in theology, and yussadiq in the conventional sense.

2. Eeman in the strict sense is belief [strict] that is only in Islam and Quran and this is represented by the pillars of eeman.

What is critical here is to take into consideration the strict and loose sense of a term. Even the author refer to it, when he differentiated the basic meaning and the higher meaning.

I suggest you do some serious reflection on the above points re Eeman in the strict and loose sense.

Baptism is merely a formal ritual and has no significant relation to belief [strict sense].

Last edited by Continuum; 04-18-2016 at 11:20 PM..

Old 04-19-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
I hope there is no intention on your part to deceive.

Note the full article.

Quote:
Imân is one of the most common words of the Muslim vocabulary.
It [Iman] is often translated as faith, belief, or conviction.
At its most basic meaning, imân is belief in God (Allah), His prophets, revealed books, angels, the Hereafter, and Allah’s divine decree.

Imân is considered the most important boundary in human life, for it draws the line between two of the most disparate conditions a person will ever confront:
between belief and disbelief;
morality and capriciousness; and,
ultimately, Heaven and Hell.
Anyone who replaces [his] faith with disbelief has strayed away from the straight way (Quran, 2:108); Those who sell God’s covenant and their faith for a small price shall have no share [of Paradise in] the Hereafter (Quran, 3:77).
Imân is the only mark of a person’s identity that holds any real meaning. Everything else—ethnicity, language, skin color, profession, wealth, palaces, and so on—is meaningless when compared to the gigantic matter of faith.
Nothing else in human life—no perfection or success in any other realm of existence—can possibly compensate for the loss in imân.

The higher meaning of imân refers to the strength of one’s belief in these truths and the degree to which a person lives his or her life in accordance with them, for imân is something that may increase or decrease in a person:
Indeed, it is but the believers whose hearts tremble out of awe when God is mentioned. And when His verses are recited to them, it increases them in faith (Quran, 8:2);
As for those who believe, [the revelation of the Quran] increased them in faith and they rejoice (Quran, 9:124);
[God] sent down tranquility into the hearts of the believers so that they may have more faith added to their faith (Quran, 48:4).
The significance of imân is only meaningful in this life, in which we have choice. For when we die and veils are removed, the most desperate and despicable of human beings will suddenly rush to claim their belief in Allah and the reality of the Hereafter. But it will be too late: But when they saw Our doom [in the Hereafter], their [sudden] declaration of faith could not benefit them (Quran, 40:85).

You will note the author of the article has explained "iman" in exactly the same as what I have been doing which is the same as the generic belief [English or any language]. Note the highlighted elements, i.e.
-strength of one's belief - weak or strong,
-degrees of belief,
-increase and decrease re 48:4

So I am right is equating eeman [strict] with belief [strict].
I have read views of many other Islamic scholars and Muslims and they agree with my views.

Your reference to the root meaning is not critical in this case.

If you agree with the above author's view there should be no dispute with what I had presented, i.e.

My stand is;

1. Eeman in the loose sense is the Arabic word for belief [loose] which is the same as yussadiq. This relation is not done commonly, but semantically this two words are the same, i.e. eeman in theology, and yussadiq in the conventional sense.

2. Eeman in the strict sense is belief [strict] that is only in Islam and Quran and this is represented by the pillars of eeman.

What is critical here is to take into consideration the strict and loose sense of a term. Even the author refer to it, when he differentiated the basic meaning and the higher meaning.

I suggest you do some serious reflection on the above points re Eeman in the strict and loose sense.

Baptism is merely a formal ritual and has no significant relation to belief [strict sense].
The term "Basic Meaning" does not equate to loose meaning and the term "Higher Meaning" does not equate to specific meaning. Also neither correlates to the English definition of Belief.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
The term "Basic Meaning" does not equate to loose meaning and the term "Higher Meaning" does not equate to specific meaning. Also neither correlates to the English definition of Belief.
Your views are weird and very confusing;

You stated,

In that article the person you referred to who is suppose to know more about Islam than you do, equated 'eeman' as 'belief' with reference to its basic and higher meaning plus other elements like increasing and decreasing, etc.

Then you still insist 'belief' has nothing to do with these elements, i.e. basic and higher meaning.

The point there is a strong correlation between eeman and belief in its strict and loose sense.
Eeman in the strict sense is conditioned to the pillars of eeman in the Quran and as such eeman [strict] is strictly unique to Islam and no other religion.

Eeman in the loose sense represent believing, believers, beliefs or faith in general.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Your views are weird and very confusing;

You stated,

In that article the person you referred to who is suppose to know more about Islam than you do, equated 'eeman' as 'belief' with reference to its basic and higher meaning plus other elements like increasing and decreasing, etc.

Then you still insist 'belief' has nothing to do with these elements, i.e. basic and higher meaning.

The point there is a strong correlation between eeman and belief in its strict and loose sense.
Eeman in the strict sense is conditioned to the pillars of eeman in the Quran and as such eeman [strict] is strictly unique to Islam and no other religion.

Eeman in the loose sense represent believing, believers, beliefs or faith in general.
What the author said was:

It does not say Iman is belief. It is the strength of ones belief.

Iman leads to aman which is "Peace and Tranquility" the Strength of a persons belief is the higher meaning of Ian. It is not saying Eeman is belief. The increase or decrease is a reflction of one's peace and tranquility not a quantity.

Old 04-21-2016, 03:50 AM

Quote:
What the author said was:

It does not say Iman is belief. It is the strength of ones belief.

Iman leads to aman which is "Peace and Tranquility" the Strength of a persons belief is the higher meaning of Ian. It is not saying Eeman is belief. The increase or decrease is a reflction of one's peace and tranquility not a quantity.
The author did state eeman is generally refer to as 'belief.'

When one state the following:
[b]The higher meaning of imân refers to the strength of one’s belief.
It is very obvious there is a relation between eeman and belief.
In this sense eeman = belief in relation to the 6 pillars of eeman.

I am not insisting eeman IS belief per-se.
As I had stated when we say eeman = belief, we need to qualify with the contexts, i.e. eeman [strict] with the pillars of eeman or eeman [general, loose] with its appropriate contexts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam