U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-30-2016, 03:49 AM
 
Location: Not-a-Theist
3,440 posts, read 1,592,154 times
Reputation: 461

Advertisements

Chapter 2:2
Thalika alkitabu la rayba feehi hudan lilmuttaqeena
That (is) the book no doubt in it, a Guidance for the God-conscious.
2:3-5 are verses related and supporting the above 2:2.

Here are 30++ English translations of 2:3

Muhammad Asad
THIS DIVINE WRIT - let there be no doubt about it is [meant to be] a guidance for all the God-conscious.
M. M. Pickthall
This is the Scripture whereof there is no doubt, a guidance unto those who ward off (evil).
Shakir
This Book, there is no doubt in it, is a guide to those who guard (against evil).
Yusuf Ali (Saudi Rev. 1985)
This is the Book; in it is guidance sure, without doubt, to those who fear Allah;
Yusuf Ali (Orig. 1938)
This is the Book; in it is guidance sure, without doubt, to those who fear God;
Dr. Laleh Bakhtiar
That is the Book—there is no doubt ^in it^, a guidance for the ones who are Godfearing:
Wahiduddin Khan
This is the Book; there is no doubt in it. It is a guide for those who are mindful of God,
T.B.Irving
This is the Book which contains no doubt; it means guidance for those who do their duty
Safi Kaskas
This is the Book that, without doubt, has guidance for those who are mindful of God;
[Al-Muntakhab]
This Book -the Quran- in which Providence is the Guide, occasions no, doubt and represents the spirit of truth guiding into all truth; it guides those: who entertain the profound reverence dutiful to Allah,
[The Monotheist Group] (2011 Edition)
This is the Scripture in which there is no doubt, a guide for the righteous.
Abdel Haleem
This is the Scripture in which there is no doubt, containing guidance for those who are mindful of God,
Abdul Majid Daryabadi
This Book whereof there is no doubt, is a guidance unto the God-fearing.
Ahmed Ali
This is The Book free of doubt and involution, a guidance for those who preserve themselves from evil and follow the straight path,
Aisha Bewley
That is the Book, without any doubt. It contains guidance for those who have taqwa:
Ali Ünal
This is the (most honored, matchless) Book: there is no doubt about it (its Divine authorship and that it is a collection of pure truths throughout). A guidance for the God-revering, pious who keep their duty to God.
Ali Quli Qara'i
This is the Book, there is no doubt in it, a guidance to the Godwary,
Hamid S. Aziz
This is the Book! There is no doubt therein; a guide to the pious,
Muhammad Mahmoud Ghali That is the Book, there is no suspicion about it, a guidance to the pious.
Muhammad Sarwar
There is no doubt that this book is a guide for the pious;
Muhammad Taqi Usmani
This Book has no doubt in it - a guidance for the God-fearing,
Shabbir Ahmed
Allah's Guidance is right before you in the form of this noble Book, recorded by the most honorable scribes appointed by the Messenger (80:13-16). The Almighty Himself guarantees the Truth of this Revelation, its explanation and its preservation. And you will find it free of all contradiction ((4:82), (10:37), (15:9), (29:49), (32:2), (52:2-3), (75:17-19)). Therefore, there is absolutely no question or any doubt about the authority and authenticity of this Glorious Scripture. And, you will soon notice as you proceed, that this Book leaves no lingering doubts in a seeking mind. If you remember that this is a Book of guidance, and hence, treat it as such, the hard fact will dawn upon you that this is The Path-finding Guide for all those who wish to journey through life in blissful honor and security.
Syed Vickar Ahamed
This is the Book: In it is guidance, without doubt, for those who fear Allah;
Umm Muhammad (Sahih International)
This is the Book about which there is no doubt, a guidance for those conscious of Allah -
Farook Malik
This is the Book in which there is no doubt. (Since its Author, Allah, the Creator of this universe, possesses complete knowledge, there is no room for doubt about its contents.) It is a guide for those who are God conscious,
Dr. Munir Munshey
This is the (divine) book! In it, there is nothing doubtful. (It is) the guidance for the pious!
Dr. Mohammad Tahir-ul-Qadri
(This is) the Glorious Book in which there is no chance of doubt. (It is) a guide for those who guard against evil and fear Allah:
Dr. Kamal Omar
This is Al-Kitab (The Scripture, The Divine Book, The Legitimate Bible, Allah’s Book), no raib (doubtful matter or interpolation) therein, guidance to those who are Al-Muttaqun (the pious and the righteous).
Talal A. Itani (new translation)
This is the Book in which there is no doubt, a guide for the righteous.
Bilal Muhammad (2013 Edition)
This is the Book. In it is guidance without doubt, to those who realize it.
Maududi
This is the Book of Allah: there is no doubt about it. It is guidance to Godfearing people,
Ali Bakhtiari Nejad
This is the book, there is no doubt in it, a guide for those who control themselves (against their unlawful desires and disobeying God's commandments),
[The Monotheist Group] (2013 Edition)
That is the Book in which there is no doubt, a guidance for the righteous.
Mohammad Shafi
This is the Book - no doubt therein - of guidance for the pious, the Allah-fearing -
With such a variety of translation of Muttagin to 'god-consciousness', god-fearing, the righteous, pious, etc. what do you think is the proper translation for 'muttagin' as in 2:2-5.


Here are some views on 'Muttagin'
Passion for Islam: The Meaning of Al-Muttaqin

Verses with Muttagin;
“Allah is the friend of the muttaqin” (45 :19), “Allah loves the muttaqin” (3:76; 9:4, 7); ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-30-2016, 04:23 AM
 
Location: Not-a-Theist
3,440 posts, read 1,592,154 times
Reputation: 461
From wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taqwa

Al-Muttaqin (Arabic: لِّلْمُتَّقِينَ‎ Al-Muttaqin) refers to those who practice taqwa, or in the words of Ibn Abbas -- "believers who avoid Shirk with Allah and who work in His obedience."

The Arabic word taqwa used in a not-necessarily-religious sense means "forbearance, fear and abstinence."[4]

Some descriptions of the term from Islamic sources include:
"God consciousness ... piousness, fear of Allah, love for Allah, and self restraint".[5]
"God-consciousness or God-fearing piety", "virtue", "wariness".[6]
Fear of Allah, "being careful, knowing your place in the cosmos". "Proof" of Taqwa is the "experience of awe" of God, which "inspires a person to be on guard against wrong action" and eager to do thing which please Allah.[7]
literally "to protect". In general, to protect yourself "from the Wrath of Allah" by not "indulging in things that Allah forbids".[8]
"a high state of heart, which keeps one conscious of Allah's presence and His Knowledge." Taqwa motivates the person who possesses it "to perform righteous deeds" and avoid forbidden activities.[4]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2016, 01:15 PM
 
3,168 posts, read 1,045,849 times
Reputation: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
[indent]
Aisha Bewley
That is the Book, without any doubt. It contains guidance for those who have taqwa:
This is the correct translation.

The rest are trying to express meaning of Muttaqin with only one attribute of Muttaqin but Aisha goes for the correct attribute of Muttaqin. Taqwa is combination of:

1. God consiousness
2. Being strong in Eeman
3. Strong will to do good and refrain from evil act
4. Quality of a pious person
5. Quality of a righteous person.

One can add God fearing in the above but being God consious includes fearing God in order to refrain from doing evil acion. The book (the Qur'an) is guidance for those who would like to be godly human beings with similar attributes that God is known with such as kind, merciful, loving, helper etc. They are consious of God in their actions, being always aware that they will one day be judged for their actions and bear the consequences even if they can get away with evil action in this world.

Having taqwa helps to refrain from doing evil act and inspires to do good.

Quote:
With such a variety of translation of Muttagin to 'god-consciousness', god-fearing, the righteous, pious, etc. what do you think is the proper translation for 'muttagin' as in 2:2-5.
"Those who have taqwa" is the best translation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2016, 11:04 PM
 
Location: Not-a-Theist
3,440 posts, read 1,592,154 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
This is the correct translation.

The rest are trying to express meaning of Muttaqin with only one attribute of Muttaqin but Aisha goes for the correct attribute of Muttaqin. Taqwa is combination of:

1. God consiousness
2. Being strong in Eeman
3. Strong will to do good and refrain from evil act
4. Quality of a pious person
5. Quality of a righteous person.

One can add God fearing in the above but being God conscious includes fearing God in order to refrain from doing evil action. The book (the Qur'an) is guidance for those who would like to be godly human beings with similar attributes that God is known with such as kind, merciful, loving, helper etc. They are conscious of God in their actions, being always aware that they will one day be judged for their actions and bear the consequences even if they can get away with evil action in this world.

Having taqwa helps to refrain from doing evil act and inspires to do good.

"Those who have taqwa" is the best translation.
I can agree with the above.
This is why I added a post on what is 'tagwa'.

Another point;
Muttagin = 2. Being strong in Eeman
A new Muslim is obviously not a Muttagin.
Since a Muttagin has strong Eeman [perhaps 90%++].
Therefore we can infer a new Muslim [Islam -Aslama] who has just submitted cannot have strong Eeman.

The above counter your argument in another post, a new Muslim has strong Eeman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2016, 01:46 AM
 
3,168 posts, read 1,045,849 times
Reputation: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
I can agree with the above.
This is why I added a post on what is 'tagwa'.

Another point;
Muttagin = 2. Being strong in Eeman
A new Muslim is obviously not a Muttagin.
Since a Muttagin has strong Eeman [perhaps 90%++].
Therefore we can infer a new Muslim [Islam -Aslama] who has just submitted cannot have strong Eeman.

The above counter your argument in another post, a new Muslim has strong Eeman.
I am not a new Muslim but born In already Muslim family. Even though I prayed and fasted as a young man (since my school days), I simply went through the motions as a lot of born Muslims often do today. Like them, I too wasn't strong in eeman.

It is only once I began to study the Qur'an seriously that I became a stronger believer. For this reason, I understand that one has to study the scriptures, the Qur'an, the Gospels, and the Torah (the latter two to understand the Qur'an even better) to become a stronger believer.

Most new Muslims coming from a different background do study the scriptures and become stronger believers before they decide to become Muslims. Becoming a Muslim is a very couragous step, and can't be taken without being strong in conviction. It is this driving conviction after their study that they become Muslims. Therefore, they are already strong in eeman before they become Muslims. Once Muslim, the peace in their hearts and mind only confirms their eeman. I really admire their step that is not easy to take. Praying 5 times a day, fasting in the month of Ramadhan and hajj journey is very tough. To decide to do all that hard work requires solid eeman/conviction. It is an insult to them to claim that a new Muslim has weak eeman or no eeman. You couldn't be further from the truth.

Some of the best Muslims today are those who became Muslims from a different, particularly Western, background. I see them showing the way even to the born Muslims in future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2016, 02:36 AM
 
Location: Not-a-Theist
3,440 posts, read 1,592,154 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
I am not a new Muslim but born In already Muslim family. Even though I prayed and fasted as a young man (since my school days), I simply went through the motions as a lot of born Muslims often do today. Like them, I too wasn't strong in eeman.

It is only once I began to study the Qur'an seriously that I became a stronger believer. For this reason, I understand that one has to study the scriptures, the Qur'an, the Gospels, and the Torah (the latter two to understand the Qur'an even better) to become a stronger believer.
There is another point to consider here.

There is the argument that those who are born into Muslim family [parents Muslims] are not officially a 'Muslim' [specific].
As I have mentioned those born into Muslim family are Muslims [loose term].
They only become Muslim [specific] when they have entered into a covenant with Allah explicitly or implicitly. Those who are born as Muslims may not perform the Shahada explicit by declaring to witnesses but their acts as Muslims children of Muslim parents would have implicitly represented them as entering into a covenant with Allah and thus submission.

A newly converted Muslims and children born into Muslim families are 'New Muslims' specific and they have to perform the 5 pillars of Islam to become stronger Muslim [specific].

Thereafter they can progress to become Mu'min by performing the 6? pillars of Eeman which is mostly mental and internal.

Quote:
Most new Muslims coming from a different background do study the scriptures and become stronger believers before they decide to become Muslims. Becoming a Muslim is a very couragous step, and can't be taken without being strong in conviction. It is this driving conviction after their study that they become Muslims. Therefore, they are already strong in eeman before they become Muslims. Once Muslim, the peace in their hearts and mind only confirms their eeman. I really admire their step that is not easy to take. Praying 5 times a day, fasting in the month of Ramadhan and hajj journey is very tough. To decide to do all that hard work requires solid eeman/conviction. It is an insult to them to claim that a new Muslim has weak eeman or no eeman. You couldn't be further from the truth.
There are the pillars of Eeman which can only be termed strong 'eeman' within the context of Islam.

Of course, one can have a theory of what is the Pillars of Eeman.
But the condition of Eeman is one must first be a Muslim [specific] and perform the 5 pillars of Islam [at the critical ones] which include submission to Allah and accepting Muhammad as the messenger.
So there is no question of any one having strong eeman before they become a Muslim.

The only advantage is because they have that potential, that they will be able to progress to be Mu'min faster than those who do not have learn of the potential.

Quote:
Some of the best Muslims today are those who became Muslims from a different, particularly Western, background. I see them showing the way even to the born Muslims in future.
Some Westerners are very zealous but they cannot have what is termed 'eeman' proper [strong] according to the Quran until they have submitted-proper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2016, 08:15 AM
 
3,168 posts, read 1,045,849 times
Reputation: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
There is another point to consider here.

There is the argument that those who are born into Muslim family [parents Muslims] are not officially a 'Muslim' [specific].
The argument is in ignorance.

All babies are Muslims [the only term]. The only act they have done is obey Allah by being born.

Quote:
As I have mentioned those born into Muslim family are Muslims [loose term].
They are Muslim [the only term].

Quote:
They only become Muslim [specific] when they have entered into a covenant with Allah explicitly or implicitly. Those who are born as Muslims may not perform the Shahada explicit by declaring to witnesses but their acts as Muslims children of Muslim parents would have implicitly represented them as entering into a covenant with Allah and thus submission.
When they are born, they are Muslims [the only term]. When they are circumcised, they enter the covenant that they will obey Allah as Muslims [the only term]. When they pray for the first time, they confirm that they are Muslims [the only term].

Quote:
A newly converted Muslims and children born into Muslim families are 'New Muslims' specific and they have to perform the 5 pillars of Islam to become stronger Muslim [specific].
The born Muslims are Muslim [the only term] and newly converted Muslims are Muslims [the only term] because they were born as Muslims [the only term] and have now reverted.

Quote:
Thereafter they can progress to become Mu'min by performing the 6? pillars of Eeman which is mostly mental and internal.
To become a Mu'min, one only has to Believe (have eeman). It is both heart and mind thing. For him to be Muslim [the only term] as well, he has to do more than just believe (have eeman) but obey Allah as well.

Quote:
There are the pillars of Eeman which can only be termed strong 'eeman' within the context of Islam.
These are man-made pillers of eeman; not Allah created/ordained pillers.

Quote:
Of course, one can have a theory of what is the Pillars of Eeman.
One can have all sorts of theories.

Quote:
But the condition of Eeman is one must first be a Muslim [specific] and perform the 5 pillars of Islam [at the critical ones] which include submission to Allah and accepting Muhammad as the messenger.
The only condition to become a Mu'min (Believer) is to Believe Allah when He reveals something.

Quote:
So there is no question of any one having strong eeman before they become a Muslim.
Nobody will ever become a Muslim [the only term] unless he was strong in eeman.

Quote:
The only advantage is because they have that potential, that they will be able to progress to be Mu'min faster than those who do not have learn of the potential.
Can you make some sense of your statement please?

Quote:
Some Westerners are very zealous but they cannot have what is termed 'eeman' proper [strong] according to the Quran until they have submitted-proper.
And they cannot submit to God unless they Believe God first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2016, 01:00 AM
 
Location: Not-a-Theist
3,440 posts, read 1,592,154 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
The argument is in ignorance.
Note I said those born to Muslim parents are not technically Muslims [specific]. This statement is very rational and objective.

Quote:
All babies are Muslims [the only term]. The only act they have done is obey Allah by being born.
Note the Quran specifically defined what is a Muslim [specific] technically.
The basic requirement is they must state the Shahada in whatever form.
Therefore a baby cannot be a Muslim technically.

As I had stated the babies are Muslim in the loose form as recognized by convention.

Quote:
When they are born, they are Muslims [the only term]. When they are circumcised, they enter the covenant that they will obey Allah as Muslims [the only term]. When they pray for the first time, they confirm that they are Muslims [the only term].
As I had stated above the babies are Muslim in the loose form as recognized by convention.
When you insist on 'Muslim [the only term]' you are not realistic with reality and linguistically incompetent.
Babies born to Muslim parents are Muslims [loose term] and they become Muslim [specific] when they declare the Shahada in whatever form [implied or specific].

Quote:
The born Muslims are Muslim [the only term] and newly converted Muslims are Muslims [the only term] because they were born as Muslims [the only term] and have now reverted.
You are deliberately denying here.
The Quran has stated there are degrees for a Muslim [loose term] when they progress as Mu'min, Mushin or Muttagin.
You are not understanding Allah's words when you insist 'Muslim' [the only term].

Quote:
To become a Mu'min, one only has to Believe (have eeman). It is both heart and mind thing. For him to be Muslim [the only term] as well, he has to do more than just believe (have eeman) but obey Allah as well.
You got it wrong here.
A mu'min is already a Muslim [loose] and a Muslim [specific].
There is no need for a Mu'min to be a Muslim because he is already a Muslim permanently.
The next stage is for a Mu'min to progress to be a Mu'shin.

Quote:
These are man-made pillers of eeman; not Allah created/ordained pillers.
Just like the 5 Pillars of Islam, the 6 Pillars of Eeman is not man-made.
The pillars [elements] are already in the Quran but distributed variously over the chapter[s].
It is a sign of intelligence and competence that one can abstract them and compiled them into a category to facilitate one's practice. It is a very necessary sign of progress and very normal thing to do.


Quote:
The only condition to become a Mu'min (Believer) is to Believe Allah when He reveals something.
That is wrong. To be a Mu'min one has to complete a set of procedures, i.e. the 6 Pillars of Eeman.

Quote:
Nobody will ever become a Muslim [the only term] unless he was strong in eeman.
Wrong again. One do not need strong eeman to be a Muslim [specific]. To be a Muslim [specifically] one has to perform the 5 pillars of Islam [pilgrimage not compulsory].

Quote:
Can you make some sense of your statement please?
Here is one example;
A very good cricket player will have high skill is playing with a bat, i.e. stance, position, strength, timing, etc. In this case, we say he has good batting skills potential within him.

Now if a good cricket player decide not to play cricket but choose to play baseball, and because he has batting skill potential, he can quickly become a good baseball player in comparison to one who is starting from the beginning. When he quickly learn the other skill as a baseball player, then he is not called a good baseball player.

The fact above is a good cricket player is not a good baseball player.
In the above example, the person has good batting skills potential, thus it is very easy for him to change from a good cricket player to a good baseball player.

The above example can be applied to a Westerner Christian who was very pious [spiritual zeal and faith] in his Christianity. Thus this Western Christian has a high piety potential. If this Christian converted to be a Muslim he will bring his piety potential with him and exercise the piety potential into his eeman potential. Because he has such piety -> eeman potential, he will become a mu'min faster than the one who do not has such a potential, i.e. one who starts afresh.

Quote:
And they cannot submit to God unless they Believe God first.
There we go again.
Note our argument re believe [loose] and BELIEVE [specific] as in 49:14 and 49:17.

The point here is you are speaking alone with your views.
My views [re this specific one*] are agreed by most Islamic scholars [sunni, quran-only and others].
In this case, the onus is on you to study the Quran again [at least 50 times] to reflect and understand the difference between your lone view and the 99.99% majority.
Note Allah exhort Muslims to "Reflect" on the principles of Islam many times in the Quran.

* agreed on this point only, but I do not agree with them on many other points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2016, 03:31 AM
 
3,168 posts, read 1,045,849 times
Reputation: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
Note I said those born to Muslim parents are not technically Muslims [specific]. This statement is very rational and objective.
That statement is irrational and in ignorance. Even you include them in the number of Muslims in the world today. Now you are backtracking.

Quote:
Note the Quran specifically defined what is a Muslim [specific] technically.
The basic requirement is they must state the Shahada in whatever form.
This statement of yours is in ignorance. The only requirement of being a Believer (Mu'min) is the proclaimation of faith (eeman in Allah and His messenger) sincerely. To become a Muslim is not only to believe (heart and mind thing) but submit (in practice) too. That is what the Qur'an is describing. A baby is technically submitting to Allah in the act of being born.

Quote:
Therefore a baby cannot be a Muslim technically.
As I described, a baby is Muslim as he is born submitting to Allah's command.

Quote:
As I had stated the babies are Muslim in the loose form as recognized by convention.
They are the best Muslims as they have not yet disobeyed God even once. Their only act so far (of being born) is what makes them Muslims.

Quote:
As I had stated above the babies are Muslim in the loose form as recognized by convention.
When you insist on 'Muslim [the only term]' you are not realistic with reality and linguistically incompetent.
If Allah recognizes them Muslims then to hell with your linguistic ignorance with the term Muslim!

Quote:
Babies born to Muslim parents are Muslims [loose term] and they become Muslim [specific] when they declare the Shahada in whatever form [implied or specific].
You are talking in ignorance. The Shahada is said in every baby's ears immediately they are born. I have yet to see any baby rejecting it. In fact, I have seen babies often smile when they hear the Shahada.

Quote:
You are deliberately denying here.
The Quran has stated there are degrees for a Muslim [loose term] when they progress as Mu'min, Mushin or Muttagin.
You are not understanding Allah's words when you insist 'Muslim' [the only term].
The degrees are after the judgment. Here in this world, before the Judgment Day, you can't judge in terms of degrees.

Quote:
You got it wrong here.
A mu'min is already a Muslim [loose] and a Muslim [specific].
The Qur'an has many verses in which Mu'mineen are being guided to submit; do certain action which are actions required of Muslimeen. Nowhere in the Qur'an you would find a Muslim not believing in Allah and His ayat.

Quote:
There is no need for a Mu'min to be a Muslim because he is already a Muslim permanently.
No way, according to the Qur'an. It took 22 years for all commands in which the Qur'nic laws were revealed. Complying with those commands by adults is what makes an initial believer to be called Muslim. Before the commands were revealed, just believing in the Ayat made them believers (mu'mineen).

Quote:
Just like the 5 Pillars of Islam, the 6 Pillars of Eeman is not man-made.
Definitely man-created terms.

Quote:
The pillars [elements] are already in the Quran but distributed variously over the chapter[s].
There are more than 5 or 6 elements in the Qur'an. 5 pillers are merely to teach something very basic about Islam to primary school children. The only pillers mention in the Qur'an are invisible pillers holding the sky up, which means no pillers.

Quote:
It is a sign of intelligence and competence that one can abstract them and compiled them into a category to facilitate one's practice. It is a very necessary sign of progress and very normal thing to do.
Yes, this is why we believe in God. It is sign of intelligence and competence that one can do that even if we do not see Him like the imagined pillers.

Quote:
That is wrong. To be a Mu'min one has to complete a set of procedures, i.e. the 6 Pillars of Eeman.
The only piller he has to keep in mind, and comply with, is the piller about Believing.

Quote:
Wrong again. One do not need strong eeman to be a Muslim [specific].
Neither a Mu'min nor a Muslim need to be strong in eeman but just have eeman. Without any eeman, one can't be either Mu'min or Muslim.

Quote:
To be a Muslim [specifically] one has to perform the 5 pillars of Islam [pilgrimage not compulsory].
Pilgrimage is the 5th piller but is only for those who are able to travel and have means to travel. Otherwise, only 4 pillers. The first one is the only one for a Mu'min, but all are for a Muslim.

Quote:
Here is one example;
A very good cricket player will have high skill is playing with a bat, i.e. stance, position, strength, timing, etc. In this case, we say he has good batting skills potential within him.

Now if a good cricket player decide not to play cricket but choose to play baseball, and because he has batting skill potential, he can quickly become a good baseball player in comparison to one who is starting from the beginning. When he quickly learn the other skill as a baseball player, then he is not called a good baseball player.

The fact above is a good cricket player is not a good baseball player.
In the above example, the person has good batting skills potential, thus it is very easy for him to change from a good cricket player to a good baseball player.

The above example can be applied to a Westerner Christian who was very pious [spiritual zeal and faith] in his Christianity. Thus this Western Christian has a high piety potential. If this Christian converted to be a Muslim he will bring his piety potential with him and exercise the piety potential into his eeman potential. Because he has such piety -> eeman potential, he will become a mu'min faster than the one who do not has such a potential, i.e. one who starts afresh.
What a silly example you have givn here. Western Christians are already believers in ayat of the Torah and the Gospels. Once they come to know about the Ayat of the Qur'an and believe them to be from Allah, they are believers (Mu'minern). Being pious after being Mu'mineen is what makes them Muslims.

Quote:
My views [re this specific one*] are agreed by most Islamic scholars [sunni, quran-only and others].
The Qur'an-only do not believe in 5 pillers.

Quote:
Note Allah exhort Muslims to "Reflect" on the principles of Islam many times in the Quran.
Wrong! ALLAH exhorts Believers (Mu'mineen) to reflect and ponder over the ayat of the Qur'an because just believing in the ayat is not enough to be Muslim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2016, 08:33 AM
 
4,431 posts, read 1,659,692 times
Reputation: 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
Chapter 2:2
Thalika alkitabu la rayba feehi hudan lilmuttaqeena
That (is) the book no doubt in it, a Guidance for the God-conscious.
2:3-5 are verses related and supporting the above 2:2.

Here are 30++ English translations of 2:3

Muhammad Asad
THIS DIVINE WRIT - let there be no doubt about it is [meant to be] a guidance for all the God-conscious.
M. M. Pickthall
This is the Scripture whereof there is no doubt, a guidance unto those who ward off (evil).
Shakir
This Book, there is no doubt in it, is a guide to those who guard (against evil).
Yusuf Ali (Saudi Rev. 1985)
This is the Book; in it is guidance sure, without doubt, to those who fear Allah;
Yusuf Ali (Orig. 1938)
This is the Book; in it is guidance sure, without doubt, to those who fear God;
Dr. Laleh Bakhtiar
That is the Book—there is no doubt ^in it^, a guidance for the ones who are Godfearing:
Wahiduddin Khan
This is the Book; there is no doubt in it. It is a guide for those who are mindful of God,
T.B.Irving
This is the Book which contains no doubt; it means guidance for those who do their duty
Safi Kaskas
This is the Book that, without doubt, has guidance for those who are mindful of God;
[Al-Muntakhab]
This Book -the Quran- in which Providence is the Guide, occasions no, doubt and represents the spirit of truth guiding into all truth; it guides those: who entertain the profound reverence dutiful to Allah,
[The Monotheist Group] (2011 Edition)
This is the Scripture in which there is no doubt, a guide for the righteous.
Abdel Haleem
This is the Scripture in which there is no doubt, containing guidance for those who are mindful of God,
Abdul Majid Daryabadi
This Book whereof there is no doubt, is a guidance unto the God-fearing.
Ahmed Ali
This is The Book free of doubt and involution, a guidance for those who preserve themselves from evil and follow the straight path,
Aisha Bewley
That is the Book, without any doubt. It contains guidance for those who have taqwa:
Ali Ünal
This is the (most honored, matchless) Book: there is no doubt about it (its Divine authorship and that it is a collection of pure truths throughout). A guidance for the God-revering, pious who keep their duty to God.
Ali Quli Qara'i
This is the Book, there is no doubt in it, a guidance to the Godwary,
Hamid S. Aziz
This is the Book! There is no doubt therein; a guide to the pious,
Muhammad Mahmoud Ghali That is the Book, there is no suspicion about it, a guidance to the pious.
Muhammad Sarwar
There is no doubt that this book is a guide for the pious;
Muhammad Taqi Usmani
This Book has no doubt in it - a guidance for the God-fearing,
Shabbir Ahmed
Allah's Guidance is right before you in the form of this noble Book, recorded by the most honorable scribes appointed by the Messenger (80:13-16). The Almighty Himself guarantees the Truth of this Revelation, its explanation and its preservation. And you will find it free of all contradiction ((4:82), (10:37), (15:9), (29:49), (32:2), (52:2-3), (75:17-19)). Therefore, there is absolutely no question or any doubt about the authority and authenticity of this Glorious Scripture. And, you will soon notice as you proceed, that this Book leaves no lingering doubts in a seeking mind. If you remember that this is a Book of guidance, and hence, treat it as such, the hard fact will dawn upon you that this is The Path-finding Guide for all those who wish to journey through life in blissful honor and security.
Syed Vickar Ahamed
This is the Book: In it is guidance, without doubt, for those who fear Allah;
Umm Muhammad (Sahih International)
This is the Book about which there is no doubt, a guidance for those conscious of Allah -
Farook Malik
This is the Book in which there is no doubt. (Since its Author, Allah, the Creator of this universe, possesses complete knowledge, there is no room for doubt about its contents.) It is a guide for those who are God conscious,
Dr. Munir Munshey
This is the (divine) book! In it, there is nothing doubtful. (It is) the guidance for the pious!
Dr. Mohammad Tahir-ul-Qadri
(This is) the Glorious Book in which there is no chance of doubt. (It is) a guide for those who guard against evil and fear Allah:
Dr. Kamal Omar
This is Al-Kitab (The Scripture, The Divine Book, The Legitimate Bible, Allah’s Book), no raib (doubtful matter or interpolation) therein, guidance to those who are Al-Muttaqun (the pious and the righteous).
Talal A. Itani (new translation)
This is the Book in which there is no doubt, a guide for the righteous.
Bilal Muhammad (2013 Edition)
This is the Book. In it is guidance without doubt, to those who realize it.
Maududi
This is the Book of Allah: there is no doubt about it. It is guidance to Godfearing people,
Ali Bakhtiari Nejad
This is the book, there is no doubt in it, a guide for those who control themselves (against their unlawful desires and disobeying God's commandments),
[The Monotheist Group] (2013 Edition)
That is the Book in which there is no doubt, a guidance for the righteous.
Mohammad Shafi
This is the Book - no doubt therein - of guidance for the pious, the Allah-fearing -
With such a variety of translation of Muttagin to 'god-consciousness', god-fearing, the righteous, pious, etc. what do you think is the proper translation for 'muttagin' as in 2:2-5.


Here are some views on 'Muttagin'
Passion for Islam: The Meaning of Al-Muttaqin

Verses with Muttagin;
“Allah is the friend of the muttaqin” (45 :19), “Allah loves the muttaqin” (3:76; 9:4, 7); ...

I referred these versus to you a few times.
The question is, do you think you are a "muttaqi" in the light if any one or more of them 30 translations ?

If not, this book may not be of any use to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top