U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 10:31 AM

417 posts, read 447,948 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why Muslim women wear hijab in the west if the point is to be modest and not attract attention. I think it does the opposite. I have Muslim friends that wear it and they get hit on all the time however most women I know that are non hijab never get hit on. Personally I think women who tell people how often they get hit on are misinterpreting manners for interest. I know women from all nationalities and the ones who complain about this the most really don't have men showing interest. I know most men are idiots when it comes to women so my only conclusion is if a women complains that men hit on her all the time then they will think she is attractive to other men so she must be worth something. It is like when men say a woman is good and smart but that is because she is attractive but if an average looking woman does the same thing she is seen as an idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 10:44 AM

4,413 posts, read 1,640,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
I don't understand why Muslim women wear hijab in the west if the point is to be modest and not attract attention. I think it does the opposite. I have Muslim friends that wear it and they get hit on all the time however most women I know that are non hijab never get hit on. Personally I think women who tell people how often they get hit on are misinterpreting manners for interest. I know women from all nationalities and the ones who complain about this the most really don't have men showing interest. I know most men are idiots when it comes to women so my only conclusion is if a women complains that men hit on her all the time then they will think she is attractive to other men so she must be worth something. It is like when men say a woman is good and smart but that is because she is attractive but if an average looking woman does the same thing she is seen as an idiot.
Different people have different perceptions and experiences in life.

For example, this experiment concluded a different outcome from what you have experienced.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mgw6y3cH7tA

Old 04-10-2016, 12:57 PM

3,404 posts, read 2,249,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Different people have different perceptions and experiences in life.

For example, this experiment concluded a different outcome from what you have experienced.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mgw6y3cH7tA
To be fair though, she was also wearing an abaya. I am not sure the distinction would be so great if she were simply wearing a hijab, but wearing western clothing. The abaya, especially if paired with a niqab, is incredibly foreign to most Americans, and does a good job at discouraging interactions.

I personally am incredibly cautious about interacting in any way with a woman in an abaya, niqab, or burqa. It is a sign that this woman is a conservative muslim, and would not appreciate any interaction with me. If for some reason I need to interact with a woman wearing these things, I tend to not make eye contact, to keep my interaction minimal and to make sure there is no physical contact. I want to be respectful.

On the other hand, a woman wearing western clothing, but a hijab, particularly if it is colored or patterned in some way, I would feel more able to interact with. She is signaling that she is less conservative by her clothing choices, and while I would still wish to be respectful of her boundaries, I can behave more normally for an American.

-NoCapo

Old 04-11-2016, 01:12 AM

3,440 posts, read 1,582,067 times
I believe the degree of being noticed will depend on which area.

If one wear a hijab in a large city in the West at present where there are many Muslims, not many men will bother to look.
But if one were to wear a hijab in a small town or large city where there are no or very few Muslims then they will be noticed every where they go.

That is human nature, i.e. whatever that is different from the conventional [as in this case*] will get more attention from every one.

* note, besides 'different from norm' there are many other cases and situations where people are noticed for various reasons.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:07 PM

4,413 posts, read 1,640,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
I believe the degree of being noticed will depend on which area.

If one wear a hijab in a large city in the West at present where there are many Muslims, not many men will bother to look.
But if one were to wear a hijab in a small town or large city where there are no or very few Muslims then they will be noticed every where they go.

That is human nature, i.e. whatever that is different from the conventional [as in this case*] will get more attention from every one.

* note, besides 'different from norm' there are many other cases and situations where people are noticed for various reasons.
I think the OP talks about being "hit on", which in my opinion is different from being "noticed" - Please read the OP again.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:11 PM

1,601 posts, read 750,908 times
Quote:
I think one thing is that girls who wear these hijab wear a ton of make up. For example, if you watch these YouTube videos their whole attention is on how to put on much makeup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcFiSSpjKMI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkle8Q2eQCQ

There are MANY YouTube tutorials on how to pile on the makeup with the hijab. Also, the hijab itself is worn to attract male attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwJ-U-jdxi4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9iy8BITujk

As you can see, these Muslim girls wear a hijab and lots of makeup to attract male attention, not to be modest.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:23 PM

7,945 posts, read 4,738,704 times
Quote:
Uncommon wear is definitely easier to notice than common wear. Some men find the clothing (or "hiding") of a good female body to be a turn-on rather than the other way around, I wouldn't know the exact statistics. I myself do notice Muslim-trend wearers more than women sporting more common wear (which is often not covering the hair); But I always feel like they are themselves somewhat pushy religious women or have a somewhat pushy religious family, and would probably feel "oppressed" whether I look at them or actively try to ignore them, so I do what comes naturally and actively try to ignore them, although it is oppressively hard, as would be someone holding a giant sign.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:43 PM

11,037 posts, read 4,817,435 times
I don't get why women must be oppressed into wearing a hijab due to a mans lack of self control and respect.

Why not oppress the man instead?

Old 04-12-2016, 10:28 AM

3,404 posts, read 2,249,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juju33312 View Post
I think one thing is that girls who wear these hijab wear a ton of make up. For example, if you watch these YouTube videos their whole attention is on how to put on much makeup.

There are MANY YouTube tutorials on how to pile on the makeup with the hijab. Also, the hijab itself is worn to attract male attention.

As you can see, these Muslim girls wear a hijab and lots of makeup to attract male attention, not to be modest.
Of course, what you are showing are westernized hijabis. These are young women, for whom the hijab is primarily a religious symbol. Clearly their conception of modesty is not significantly different from their surrounding culture. They are wearing form fitting clothing, lots of make up.

It isn't that they are shameful little hussies, trying to attract your attention with their naughty hijabs. They are simply westernized and their sense of modesty and beauty is about the same as that of an american or european. They simply all the hijab as a religious obliigation, and otherwise are acculturated. Think of them culturally as western girls who happen to wear a hijab.

This is very different to the non-westernized cultures, which have much different ideas about modesty and the like. I met, for example, a family from Saudia where the women wore patterned abayas, but only here in the US, because wearing something other than a plain black abaya, hijab and niquab was considered immodest and unacceptable back home. I know women who, while they do wear western clothing, they only wear things that are XL or larger. There are women who are maybe 5"2" and very petite, but clothing that does not completely swallow them up feel s very revealing and inappropriate to them, so they do not wear it,

Bottom line, women wear hijabs for reasons both cultural and religious. The decision, at least here in the west, about what level of modesty is necessary is their own, and is not your problem. You should focus on being respectful to women, regardless of what they wear or do not wear. "**** shaming" is a nasty, unacceptable practice wherever it is found. Stop doing it, and let these women make up their own minds about their dress, standards of beauty, modesty and religious observance.

-NoCapo

Old 04-12-2016, 11:21 AM

1,601 posts, read 750,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Of course, what you are showing are westernized hijabis. These are young women, for whom the hijab is primarily a religious symbol. Clearly their conception of modesty is not significantly different from their surrounding culture. They are wearing form fitting clothing, lots of make up.

It isn't that they are shameful little hussies, trying to attract your attention with their naughty hijabs. They are simply westernized and their sense of modesty and beauty is about the same as that of an american or european. They simply all the hijab as a religious obliigation, and otherwise are acculturated. Think of them culturally as western girls who happen to wear a hijab.

This is very different to the non-westernized cultures, which have much different ideas about modesty and the like. I met, for example, a family from Saudia where the women wore patterned abayas, but only here in the US, because wearing something other than a plain black abaya, hijab and niquab was considered immodest and unacceptable back home. I know women who, while they do wear western clothing, they only wear things that are XL or larger. There are women who are maybe 5"2" and very petite, but clothing that does not completely swallow them up feel s very revealing and inappropriate to them, so they do not wear it,

Bottom line, women wear hijabs for reasons both cultural and religious. The decision, at least here in the west, about what level of modesty is necessary is their own, and is not your problem. You should focus on being respectful to women, regardless of what they wear or do not wear. "**** shaming" is a nasty, unacceptable practice wherever it is found. Stop doing it, and let these women make up their own minds about their dress, standards of beauty, modesty and religious observance.

-NoCapo
I checked the OP's location to see if this post referred to women in the middle east (I doubted this!) or in the west. The zip code indicated it was in the west (the USA). So yes, I am showing videos from the west.

Wearing form fitting clothing and lots of make up is done to attract male attention. The hijabs are also used for this purpose. Colorful, decorated. I think this is a good thing. These girls are enjoying life. Having fun. Doing the mating dance. The next step will probably be to discard the hijabs and style their hair. Hopefully they will have that choice. But right now the hijabs are exotic so some choose to wear them. But many others are still forced.

I feel terribly for the Muslim women forced to wear those black sacks to hide every part of their bodies. And that is what you are missing. The forcing by men for women to wear these terrible sacks and give up a life of freedom and passion and happiness for one of drudgery and servitude in the name of Islam. It is a shame that women are brainwashed to think they should have to hide their beauty, give up happiness and be slaves to what men demand of them.

And yes, it is my problem. Islam is bringing it's customs to my country. I will not ignore child brides, honor killings, beating of women, mass rapes, or forcing women to dress in black sacks. In western countries these things are not acceptable. Forcing women/girls to wear hijabs may not be the worst of it on the surface, but this unspeakably terrible and heartbreaking and ALL good people must stand against it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cHrPL6aqfM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or