U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-19-2016, 10:11 PM
 
Location: Not-a-Theist
3,440 posts, read 1,595,847 times
Reputation: 461

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Eeman is a specific belief.It is not a meaning of the word belief.
Atheism is a specific belief that God(swt) does not exist,but that does not mean Athieism means belief.

Eeman is a specific belief that God(swt) exists but that does not mean Eeman means belief.
I can understand as a believer you have to deny, deny and deny on whatever you feel uncomfortable and cannot see the point objectively and rationally. This is unfortunate the problem I am facing.

Btw, eeman [loose] can be related to a belief in God exists,
But eeman [strict] is more than that, i.e. a set of pillars of eeman.

Eeman [in the strict sense] is a belief [strict] that is specific to Islam only.
But the concept of eeman [strict sense] also contain eeman in the loose sense.
Therefore eeman [strict] carry the meaning of belief but it is belief-plus, i.e. plus the specific elements of the pillars of eeman.

On other words,
The elements in eeman [strict sense] are;
1. beliefs [faith,] in the loose sense plus
2. pillars of eeman.

Example.
A philosopher invoke specific thinking but it is not wrong to say a philosopher thinks like every one else if we qualify the context.
Thus eeman [strict] is a specific belief but it is not wrong to refer to eeman [strict] as belief [strict or loose] as long as we qualify it with contexts.

Your problem is denial and refusal to accept the reality of the use of a term in the strict and loose sense which exists in any language.

Can you include [strict] and [loose] when you use the term 'eeman' 'belief' or 'faith' since we are discussing the finer aspects of the terms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-20-2016, 07:35 AM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,334,531 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
I can understand as a believer you have to deny, deny and deny on whatever you feel uncomfortable and cannot see the point objectively and rationally. This is unfortunate the problem I am facing.

Btw, eeman [loose] can be related to a belief in God exists,
But eeman [strict] is more than that, i.e. a set of pillars of eeman.

Eeman [in the strict sense] is a belief [strict] that is specific to Islam only.
But the concept of eeman [strict sense] also contain eeman in the loose sense.
Therefore eeman [strict] carry the meaning of belief but it is belief-plus, i.e. plus the specific elements of the pillars of eeman.

On other words,
The elements in eeman [strict sense] are;
1. beliefs [faith,] in the loose sense plus
2. pillars of eeman.

Example.
A philosopher invoke specific thinking but it is not wrong to say a philosopher thinks like every one else if we qualify the context.
Thus eeman [strict] is a specific belief but it is not wrong to refer to eeman [strict] as belief [strict or loose] as long as we qualify it with contexts.

Your problem is denial and refusal to accept the reality of the use of a term in the strict and loose sense which exists in any language.

Can you include [strict] and [loose] when you use the term 'eeman' 'belief' or 'faith' since we are discussing the finer aspects of the terms.

Faith and Belief can be loose or strick, But Eeman is not Faith or belief. It is very specific name and applies as the name of only one thing.

Eeman is a specific name (noun) for only one thing. That one thing being belief in Allaah(swt) and the 6 pillars of Faith. nothing else is Eeman. Belief in lightening is an electrical charge is not Eeman. Belief that water becomes ice when it freezes is not Eeman. Believe in unicorns is not Eeman, Believe that fire is hot is not Eeman.

Eeman is a noun, it a proper noun as it it the Specific name of a specific concept that concept being God(swt) exists and the 6 pillars of Faith are subsets of that concept. Nothing else is Eeman. Eeman is like Electron. A specific Name for just one thing

Yes Belief can be Strict or loose, but Eeman is not belief. It is the name of a specific Belief. It is not an intransitive verb and can not be used as such. It is the Name of only one specific thing. Therefore a Proper noun.


You can not have Eeman in anything as Eeman is not a verb. Eeman could have been named George but it wasn't it was named Eeman.
__________________
When posting as a MOD my posts will be in red

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks


MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 03:10 AM
 
Location: Not-a-Theist
3,440 posts, read 1,595,847 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Faith and Belief can be loose or strict, But Eeman is not Faith or belief. It is very specific name and applies as the name of only one thing.

Eeman is a specific name (noun) for only one thing. That one thing being belief in Allaah(swt) and the 6 pillars of Faith. nothing else is Eeman. Belief in lightening is an electrical charge is not Eeman. Belief that water becomes ice when it freezes is not Eeman. Believe in unicorns is not Eeman, Believe that fire is hot is not Eeman.

Eeman is a noun, it a proper noun as it it the Specific name of a specific concept that concept being God(swt) exists and the 6 pillars of Faith are subsets of that concept. Nothing else is Eeman. Eeman is like Electron. A specific Name for just one thing

Yes Belief can be Strict or loose, but Eeman is not belief. It is the name of a specific Belief. It is not an intransitive verb and can not be used as such. It is the Name of only one specific thing. Therefore a Proper noun.

You can not have Eeman in anything as Eeman is not a verb. Eeman could have been named George but it wasn't it was named Eeman.
Eeman [as faith -biīmānihim بِإِيمَانِهِمْ ا م ن] [strict or loose] is a resultant of believing.
Therefore eeman is a faith [resultant -noun] and is belief [resultant] is derived from believing.

As I had stated many times eeman [with the root ا م ن ] in the strict sense is a pronoun related to the set of the pillars of eeman.

I noted the Quran used the conventional term yussadiq for believing in things that are not related to Islam specifically, e.g. fire, electrical charge, atoms, etc.

All the believing related to eeman has the root ا م ن.

This is the same information that is given in any article on the topic of 'what is belief' which comprised of two main categories, i.e.

1. Believe-that - this is related to empirical things.
2. Believe-in - this is related to non-empirical things, i.e. supernatural, theistic and in Islam the term eeman is used for believe-in.

My point is eeman = belief, believing, faith, but it is confined to Islamic elements only.

It is wrong to insists eeman is not belief nor faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 03:32 AM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,334,531 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
Eeman [as faith -biīmānihim بِإِيمَانِهِمْ ا م ن] [strict or loose] is a resultant of believing.
Therefore eeman is a faith [resultant -noun] and is belief [resultant] is derived from believing.

As I had stated many times eeman [with the root ا م ن ] in the strict sense is a pronoun related to the set of the pillars of eeman.

I noted the Quran used the conventional term yussadiq for believing in things that are not related to Islam specifically, e.g. fire, electrical charge, atoms, etc.

All the believing related to eeman has the root ا م ن.

This is the same information that is given in any article on the topic of 'what is belief' which comprised of two main categories, i.e.

1. Believe-that - this is related to empirical things.
2. Believe-in - this is related to non-empirical things, i.e. supernatural, theistic and in Islam the term eeman is used for believe-in.

My point is eeman = belief, believing, faith, but it is confined to Islamic elements only.

It is wrong to insists eeman is not belief nor faith.

While Eeman is belief in the sense it is a belief it is not the equivalent of the stand alone word Belief. It is an example of a belief but does not mean belief. You can not use eeman as a definition of believe.

A Chevrolet is a car, but Chevrolet does not mean car
__________________
When posting as a MOD my posts will be in red

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks


MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 10:57 PM
 
Location: Not-a-Theist
3,440 posts, read 1,595,847 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
While Eeman is belief in the sense it is a belief it is not the equivalent of the stand alone word Belief. It is an example of a belief but does not mean belief. You can not use eeman as a definition of believe.

A Chevrolet is a car, but Chevrolet does not mean car
That was my point.
I have stated many times eeman [strict] is not equal to 'belief' in the absolute sense.
I have never implied at eeman is a direct definition [equivalent] of believe.
Eeman [strict or loose] = beliefs + Islamic elements i.e. 6 pillars of eeman [strict or loose].


A Chevrolet is a car.
The word 'Chevrolet' do not absolutely represent a car.
But if I has stated I drove a "Chevrolet" from New York [city] to Boston at an average speed of 100 mph, that is obvious I am referring to that "Chevrolet" as a car.
Based on public and common knowledge the average person will have 99% confidence I was referring to 'Chevrolet' as a car and not any thing else.

Similarly "eeman" in the Quran is generally referred to fundamentally "belief" plus its Islamic elements and qualities.
In additions we need to understand whether this eeman [exclusive to Islam] is used in the strict or loose sense in a verse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2016, 05:22 PM
 
2 posts, read 531 times
Reputation: 15
Sorry for bothering you this is slightly off topic but I couldn't find a better suited forum.

You see I was born in a die hard Christian family but through out my life I always was a pretty firm atheist but in the past two or three years I've been reading up quite a fair bit about Islam and it makes a lot of sense to me but since my only source of information is my high school library, with the public library quite a fair distance away, the books regarding Islam are biased beyond compare or just plain wrong. (I do find it funny we have sixteen bibles and ten Torahs but no Quran.

Anyhow back to my original topic do any of you know a good website to help people like me who are thinking of converting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2016, 06:29 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,334,531 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze837 View Post
Sorry for bothering you this is slightly off topic but I couldn't find a better suited forum.

You see I was born in a die hard Christian family but through out my life I always was a pretty firm atheist but in the past two or three years I've been reading up quite a fair bit about Islam and it makes a lot of sense to me but since my only source of information is my high school library, with the public library quite a fair distance away, the books regarding Islam are biased beyond compare or just plain wrong. (I do find it funny we have sixteen bibles and ten Torahs but no Quran.

Anyhow back to my original topic do any of you know a good website to help people like me who are thinking of converting?
The first thing to consider is the onlyreason one should revert to Islam is because they them self have found reason to believe it is the true way to worship God(swt) If one does so based upon the words of any living person they are doing so for the wrong reason.

As I do not believe in any form of proselytizing I wouldsuggest you do a google search for "Islamic forums" and from their ask specific questions. Even here would be a good place to start by opening a Thread such as "I want to learn about Islam" and use that as a venue. A good part is you will get answers from both Muslims and those that dislike Islam. Search all things with a free, open mind and always seek to verify all things you are told.

Be a questioner and a doubter. Always seek proof and ask for verification of what anyone tells you.

It is very easy to become a Muslims, less than 30 seconds of your time, but it takes a lifetime and ceaseless learning to be a Muslim.
__________________
When posting as a MOD my posts will be in red

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks


MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2016, 02:55 PM
 
2 posts, read 531 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
The first thing to consider is the onlyreason one should revert to Islam is because they them self have found reason to believe it is the true way to worship God(swt) If one does so based upon the words of any living person they are doing so for the wrong reason.

As I do not believe in any form of proselytizing I wouldsuggest you do a google search for "Islamic forums" and from their ask specific questions. Even here would be a good place to start by opening a Thread such as "I want to learn about Islam" and use that as a venue. A good part is you will get answers from both Muslims and those that dislike Islam. Search all things with a free, open mind and always seek to verify all things you are told.

Be a questioner and a doubter. Always seek proof and ask for verification of what anyone tells you.

It is very easy to become a Muslims, less than 30 seconds of your time, but it takes a lifetime and ceaseless learning to be a Muslim.
Thanks for the information I'll be sure to try that! Again sorry for taking your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2016, 03:10 AM
 
23 posts, read 8,777 times
Reputation: 10
Islam is one of the largest religions in the world, with over 1 billion followers. It is a monotheistic emaan based on revelations received by the Prophet Muhammad in 7th-century Saudi Arabia. The Arabic word Islam means “submission,” reflecting the faith's central tenet of submitting to the will of God. Followers of Islam are called Muslims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top