U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 03:37 PM

3,228 posts, read 2,852,261 times

Advertisements

Thanks, Woodrow. Money has sort of been tight lately... putting a lot of it aside to move out of where I live. I do give some to charities, but after bills I put a lot into saving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 03:57 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,274,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Thanks, Woodrow. Money has sort of been tight lately... putting a lot of it aside to move out of where I live. I do give some to charities, but after bills I put a lot into saving.
Remember your obligatory Zakat is based on what you owned in the previous year after deducting the exemptions.. Very many things are exempt such as necessary food, clothing, and other expenses along with money in savings, that is not subject to the obligatory zakt until after you buy something with it. Just guessing I suspect that like most people you have no obligatory Zakat to pay after exemptions and therefore just do what you can when you can.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 04-23-2016, 04:05 PM

3,228 posts, read 2,852,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Remember your obligatory Zakat is based on what you owned in the previous year after deducting the exemptions.. Very many things are exempt such as necessary food, clothing, and other expenses along with money in savings, that is not subject to the obligatory zakt until after you buy something with it. Just guessing I suspect that like most people you have no obligatory Zakat to pay after exemptions and therefore just do what you can when you can.
Yeah, last year I was extremely poor money wise. I am still relatively poor money wise. I do what I can to help others.

Old 04-23-2016, 04:31 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,274,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Yeah, last year I was extremely poor money wise. I am still relatively poor money wise. I do what I can to help others.
Remember me and all other elderly people in your D'uas that is also Zakat.

You are not liable for anything beyond your means

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 10-28-2016, 01:23 AM

23 posts, read 8,665 times
Zakat, the giving of alms to the poor and needy, is one of the five pillars of Islam (the others are declaration of faith, prayer, fasting in Ramadan and Hajj). It is obligatory upon every adult Muslim of sound mind and means.
The individual must own a specific amount of wealth or savings (after living costs, expenses etc). This is referred to as Nisaab and is the threshold at which Zakat becomes payable. The amount of Zakat to be paid is 2.5% of Nisaab .

Old 10-30-2016, 01:32 AM

2,050 posts, read 660,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedfarhan View Post
Zakat, the giving of alms to the poor and needy, is one of the five pillars of Islam (the others are declaration of faith, prayer, fasting in Ramadan and Hajj). It is obligatory upon every adult Muslim of sound mind and means.
The individual must own a specific amount of wealth or savings (after living costs, expenses etc). This is referred to as Nisaab and is the threshold at which Zakat becomes payable. The amount of Zakat to be paid is 2.5% of Nisaab .
Zakat means charity
It Akhtarih rather than mandatory
Zakat known to Jews before Islam
It is in Jewish law have many details
Zakat and especially for Muslims only
But the details are of diligence

Old 02-22-2018, 03:10 AM

2 posts, read 378 times
The literal meaning of Zakat is ‘to cleanse’ or ‘purification’. In the Islamic faith, Zakat means purifying your wealth for the will of Allah to acknowledge that everything we own belongs to Allah SWT and to work towards the improvement of the Muslim Ummah. According to Islamic rules, Zakat is 2.5% of one year’s total cumulative wealth. This amount is then distributed to the poor. Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) has said “Whoever pays the zakat on his wealth will have its evil removed from him”

Old 03-10-2018, 01:47 PM

3,166 posts, read 1,036,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
As understood, Zakat is obligatory as per the Quran which give guidelines on who should be the recipients.
You do understand that Zakat is obligatory as per the Qur'an but where from did you get this idea that the Qur'an gives guidelines on who should be the recipients?

Can you name some recipients as per the Qur'an?

Quote:
Allah would expect Muslims to have basic intelligent and wisdom.
Of course that's what is expected of Muslims; to use intelligence and wisdom.

Quote:
Individuals may practice some degree of giving charity to other individual, but in practice it is not an intelligent and wise thing for an individual to be responsible to distribute his own zakat.
An individual can and should distribute his wealth himself. Others may not do as an individual can do himself. I do it myself. I will give it to group charities only if I can't find deserving ones myself.

Quote:
For example, there could many people donating to one person or a group nearest to them while neglecting other deserving one who are further and spread in a wider rural locations.
This can happen even if given through groups.

Quote:
Thus it would a more intelligent and wiser thing for zakat to be collected on a central or groups basis so that the group can distribute to all deserving near and far recipients fairly.
It is not a "more intelligent" way but a second option to distributing it yourself.

Quote:
It is more efficient to administrate zakat on a group basis but it has its negative implications.
I disagree. It is more efficient to distribute it yourself (no administration costs) whereas there would be administration costs involved if distributed by a group.

Quote:
When there is a group then there are evil prone Muslims [that 20%] who will be bias towards non-Muslims due the influence of the Quran.
I find no such negative influence in the Qur'an. Accusation against the Qur'an in this case is false.

Quote:
The non-Muslims are portrayed as enemies of Islam, dehumanized as apes, swines, cattles, asses and are the worst creatures.
This is nothing but false accusation against the Qur'an regarding the peaceful "non-Muslims". You won't find even one verse in the Qur'an against "peaceful non-Muslims".

Quote:
Such evil elements will influenced the active evil prone Muslims not to direct any funds to non-Muslims because they do not deserve it as seen by Allah in the Quran.
Where does Allah indicate so in the Qur'an? The verses please!

Quote:
The Ahadith would put the non-Muslim in a more worst stance and those who are influenced by the Ahadith will find it hard to donate to non-Muslims with a sincere intent.
Because of the inherent ethos in the Quran (& Ahadith) it is not natural for the majority of Muslims to extend empathy and compassion to non-Muslims.
Inherent ethos is in peoples' minds rather than in the Qur'an. I find no such inherent ethos in the Qur'an.

Quote:
When zakat is practiced on a collective basis as it is done now all over the world, there is definitely a tendency for SOME evil prone to divert funds to the causes of Allah as interpreted from the perspectives based on the verses of the Quran or the Ahadith.
Then you are arguing against your own argument that this is an efficient way.

Quote:
This is why the practice of charity from Muslims to non-Muslims is not a common thing. If any donations to non-Muslims that is often and merely a token and window-dressing thing.
You must have heard that the "charity begins at home". It means, first to the nearest needy ones. If everyone did that, communities will help the people in their own communities first. It is an intelligent, efficient and a way full of wisdom to begin distributing wealth beginning from home and then own local community then other communities then wider afield in the country and then other countries. This is how humanity can be helped. Helping humanity as vicegerent on earth is duty of each human. And both Islam as a religion and the Qur'an as a revealed book lead us all to this duty through purifying our wealth for the good of human beings (not just Muslims).

Old 03-10-2018, 02:13 PM

3,166 posts, read 1,036,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahasn sawresho View Post
Zakat means charity
It Akhtarih rather than mandatory
False!

Zakat is obligatory on Muslims. Muslims must pay out of their wealth as its purification. It is Sadaqah (additional and voluntary charity payments above Zakat) that is not obligatory.

You can give money to build a mosque, plant trees in the community but it would be Sadaqah rather than Zakat. Zakat is given to poor and needy so that their very basic needs are met.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:09 AM

15 posts, read 1,816 times
Zakat is the third basic pillar of Islam and it is obligatory on the person whom wealth is equal to the Nisab according to Sharia so he has to donate the 2.5% of his or her wealth among the poor and needy people and the person who does that is not doing any favor on them instead he is giving them their right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or