U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 10:56 AM

15,511 posts, read 13,291,704 times

Advertisements

This is often misunderstood by non-Muslims and even some Muslims. I find that some Non-Muslims are under the impression we have to send payments to some mysterious big chief Muslim in Saudi Arabia

I will begin this by stating Zakat is our obligatory charity. We can and should give freely to all needy people and not limit our charity to just Zakat.

But Zakat is obligatory --no if, buts or maybes. We will give 2.5 % the value of what we owned the previous to our choice of 8 groups of People (we may divide it among the groups or give to just one as we choose.) It is our choice, but who we donate to must be in at least one of these groups

Quote:
1. The poor (al-fuqar’), meaning low-income or indigent: This can mean a homeless person on your block, kids whose families qualify for free or reduced-price lunches, or orphans in Bangladesh. Anyone who does not have the funds to live a stable life, feed themselves and their family, go to the doctor when they need to and grow up to be a productive citizen falls under this category.
2. The needy (al-maskn), meaning someone who is in difficulty: Someone in need might not necessarily be poor, right? Some people are forced from their homes by war or natural disasters. Or imagine a mother who gets sick and cannot take care of her children. Even with money in the bank, they may still need help. Your zakat can be there for them.
3. Zakat administrators, meaning any trustworthy organization that helps you calculate your zakat and accepts the payment for it. In the United States these tend to be categorized as non-profit or 501(c)3 organizations with tax-exempt status. To learn more about any group that offers to distribute your zakat on your behalf, search for them using independent websites such as CharityNavigator.org or GreatNonProfits.org.
4. Those whose hearts are to be reconciled, meaning new Muslims and friends of the Muslim community: You read that right. Your zakat can be distributed to new Muslims, and to people in the larger community. This not only exemplifies the Muslim tradition of social justice for all, but shows reverts how important they are, and helps build bonds of cooperation and friendship between Muslims and non-Muslims.
5. Those in bondage (slaves and captives): Even though slavery is outlawed in most parts of the world, many people are still trafficked, meaning bought and sold, as slaves. Using zakat to help any of these people become free and independent again seems like a no-brainer.
6. The debt-ridden: Yes, zakat can help people pay their debts. Living with a great burden of debt can be debilitating to an individual or family, but your zakat can help.
7. In the cause of God: Have you ever wanted to help build a mosque? Or maybe you graduated from a Muslim school and want to support it through ongoing contributions. Donations to your mosque, Muslim school or Muslim youth group are zakat-worthy. And the benefits of that charity keep giving for years to come!
8. The wayfarer, meaning those who are stranded or traveling with few resources: Whether a refugee who is fleeing violence in a distant country or a motorist stranded on the side of the road, God has designated that anyone who is away from home, out of cash and in need of help is eligible to receive your zakat.
The Eight Kinds of People Who Receive Zakat - Blog - Zakat Foundation of America | Zakat Calculator | Muslim Charity | Muslim Aid
Read carefully--No where does the Zakat have to go to Muslims only. We do not ask what faith the recipient is and our zakat should always be anonymous our left hand should not know who our right hand gives zakat to, nor how much. The recipient should not know our identity.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 11:37 AM

4,424 posts, read 1,647,307 times
In the times of Caliph Usman (ra) the area of Muslim empire was apprx 220,000 kms, and in this vast empire there were no Zakat takers.

Folks who wanted to give zakat would make announcements in the streets with money in their hands but there were no takers.

This zakat money was then finally deposited into a special govt fund which was used to give extra help to non-Muslim citizens.

So yes, Zakat is not mandatory to be given to Muslims only.

Old 04-17-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
In the times of Caliph Usman (ra) the area of Muslim empire was apprx 220,000 kms, and in this vast empire there were no Zakat takers.

Folks who wanted to give zakat would make announcements in the streets with money in their hands but there were no takers.

This zakat money was then finally deposited into a special govt fund which was used to give extra help to non-Muslim citizens.

So yes, Zakat is not mandatory to be given to Muslims only.
For us in the USA it would be difficult to give our obligatory Zakat if we were limited to giving to Muslims only.

Here in the USA Muslims overall have a higher then average income. We are more likely to come across needy non-Muslims than needy Muslims. We should first take care of the needy we personally come in contact with before going beyond. For many of us in the USA, that will be non-Muslims.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:59 PM

3,440 posts, read 1,585,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
This is often misunderstood by non-Muslims and even some Muslims. I find that some Non-Muslims are under the impression we have to send payments to some mysterious big chief Muslim in Saudi Arabia

I will begin this by stating Zakat is our obligatory charity. We can and should give freely to all needy people and not limit our charity to just Zakat.

But Zakat is obligatory --no if, buts or maybes. We will give 2.5 % the value of what we owned the previous to our choice of 8 groups of People (we may divide it among the groups or give to just one as we choose.) It is our choice, but who we donate to must be in at least one of these groups

Read carefully--No where does the Zakat have to go to Muslims only. We do not ask what faith the recipient is and our zakat should always be anonymous our left hand should not know who our right hand gives zakat to, nor how much. The recipient should not know our identity.
As understood, Zakat is obligatory as per the Quran which give guidelines on who should be the recipients.

Allah would expect Muslims to have basic intelligent and wisdom.
Individuals may practice some degree of giving charity to other individual, but in practice it is not an intelligent and wise thing for an individual to be responsible to distribute his own zakat. For example, there could many people donating to one person or a group nearest to them while neglecting other deserving one who are further and spread in a wider rural locations.

Thus it would a more intelligent and wiser thing for zakat to be collected on a central or groups basis so that the group can distribute to all deserving near and far recipients fairly.

It is more efficient to administrate zakat on a group basis but it has its negative implications.
When there is a group then there are evil prone Muslims [that 20%] who will be bias towards non-Muslims due the influence of the Quran. The non-Muslims are portrayed as enemies of Islam, dehumanized as apes, swines, cattles, asses and are the worst creatures. Such evil elements will influenced the active evil prone Muslims not to direct any funds to non-Muslims because they do not deserve it as seen by Allah in the Quran.
The Ahadith would put the non-Muslim in a more worst stance and those who are influenced by the Ahadith will find it hard to donate to non-Muslims with a sincere intent.
Because of the inherent ethos in the Quran (& Ahadith) it is not natural for the majority of Muslims to extend empathy and compassion to non-Muslims.

When zakat is practiced on a collective basis as it is done now all over the world, there is definitely a tendency for SOME evil prone to divert funds to the causes of Allah as interpreted from the perspectives based on the verses of the Quran or the Ahadith.

This is why the practice of charity from Muslims to non-Muslims is not a common thing. If any donations to non-Muslims that is often and merely a token and window-dressing thing.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
As understood, Zakat is obligatory as per the Quran which give guidelines on who should be the recipients.

Allah would expect Muslims to have basic intelligent and wisdom.
Individuals may practice some degree of giving charity to other individual, but in practice it is not an intelligent and wise thing for an individual to be responsible to distribute his own zakat. For example, there could many people donating to one person or a group nearest to them while neglecting other deserving one who are further and spread in a wider rural locations.

Thus it would a more intelligent and wiser thing for zakat to be collected on a central or groups basis so that the group can distribute to all deserving near and far recipients fairly.

It is more efficient to administrate zakat on a group basis but it has its negative implications.
When there is a group then there are evil prone Muslims [that 20%] who will be bias towards non-Muslims due the influence of the Quran. The non-Muslims are portrayed as enemies of Islam, dehumanized as apes, swines, cattles, asses and are the worst creatures. Such evil elements will influenced the active evil prone Muslims not to direct any funds to non-Muslims because they do not deserve it as seen by Allah in the Quran.
The Ahadith would put the non-Muslim in a more worst stance and those who are influenced by the Ahadith will find it hard to donate to non-Muslims with a sincere intent.
Because of the inherent ethos in the Quran (& Ahadith) it is not natural for the majority of Muslims to extend empathy and compassion to non-Muslims.

When zakat is practiced on a collective basis as it is done now all over the world, there is definitely a tendency for SOME evil prone to divert funds to the causes of Allah as interpreted from the perspectives based on the verses of the Quran or the Ahadith.

This is why the practice of charity from Muslims to non-Muslims is not a common thing. If any donations to non-Muslims that is often and merely a token and window-dressing thing.
If a Muslim makes it known who he has given charity too or rhe amount His charity while still charity does not count as part of His obligatory charity. (an exception is if it is expected that making it known will encourage others to give)

but over all there is no way to tell who a Muslim gives his Zakat to. We are not even permitted to declare it as a tax exemption in the US as that is revealiny either how much we gave or to who or how much or both, But we do not give Zakat for tax deductions anyhow. I will state that the Zakat I give goes to non-Muslims in the Dakotas. I will not name who or which group.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:28 AM

3,440 posts, read 1,585,301 times
Quote:
I will state that the Zakat I give goes to non-Muslims in the Dakotas. I will not name who or which group.
That is the exception rather than the norm.

Old 04-23-2016, 03:09 PM

3,228 posts, read 2,856,450 times
I prefer to give the homeless food because where I live there is a possibility for the homeless to use it on drugs. I want them to eat, so I give (buy) them food. Would that be okay?

Old 04-23-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I prefer to give the homeless food because where I live there is a possibility for the homeless to use it on drugs. I want them to eat, so I give (buy) them food. Would that be okay?
That is still Zakat. For Eid-Ul-Adha we are to divide up a meat animal 1/3 to the community, 1/3 to the poor and 1/3 to family and friends.

Clothing, Food, housing etc are all considered Zakat and if we our self are poor even a kind word can be Zakat.

Old 04-23-2016, 03:23 PM

3,228 posts, read 2,856,450 times
Quote:
That is still Zakat. For Eid-Ul-Adha we are to divide up a meat animal 1/3 to the community, 1/3 to the poor and 1/3 to family and friends.

Clothing, Food, housing etc are all considered Zakat and if we our self are poor even a kind word can be Zakat.
Alright. I feel bad because when I was in Toronto, I met a sister on the subway. We went to a service together and on our way there was a homeless person. She gave him some money. Since I was new to Toronto and Canada, I couldn't give him money because I needed to make sure I had enough for my trip (I was also unsure of the currency for the first day, I needed help counting money). I did wish him well and I did say to the sister, "I feel bad. I wanted to give him something, but I am new to the city and country and needed help counting yesterday. I need to make sure I have enough for my trip." She did reassure me: "it's okay. You do only what you can." Next time I go back, I will give a little something or have something on hand (food wise) to give.

Old 04-23-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Alright. I feel bad because when I was in Toronto, I met a sister on the subway. We went to a service together and on our way there was a homeless person. She gave him some money. Since I was new to Toronto and Canada, I couldn't give him money because I needed to make sure I had enough for my trip (I was also unsure of the currency for the first day, I needed help counting money). I did wish him well and I did say to the sister, "I feel bad. I wanted to give him something, but I am new to the city and country and needed help counting yesterday. I need to make sure I have enough for my trip." She did reassure me: "it's okay. You do only what you can." Next time I go back, I will give a little something or have something on hand (food wise) to give.
Always remember we are not accountable for that which we do not know or are not able to do. Islam is not to be a burdan.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or