U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 02:07 PM

3,167 posts, read 1,038,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
It is "word salad" in this case when you do not used the strict and loose sense of the various terms.
Btw it is 'eeman in the loose sense', not 'loose eeman'. There is a lot of difference in meaning between these two phrases.
Eeman is precise term in precise sense. The rest is just made up of all kind of senses as mixed salad.

Quote:
The Shahada is merely two pillars of faith [6 pillars of eeman], thus a weak form of eeman.
The stronger form of eeman refer to the 6 pillars.
You are talking in ignorance of Islam. If there are 5 pillars of Islam and the first pillar is only two pillars of faith, how come the other 4 pillars are not part of Islam?

You need to understand that the 1st pillar of Islam is combination of all 6 pillars of faith.

Quote:
Note any normal person can recite the Shahada, but there is a difference in conviction between one who has strong eeman and weak eeman. Even a parrot can recite the Shahada.
In that case, a parrot is a believer rather than a kafir. At least the partot is submitting to his master faithfully unlike faithless unbeliever to his Master.

Quote:
When one expressed only two pillars, one is a mu'min in the weak and loose sense.
To him, he is Mu'min in precise sense. One only needs to have eeman in Allah and His messenger to believe and obey all the commands in which are all 6 pillars. It would be senseless to have eeman in His messenger but not in the message. The message delivered by the mesenger has all the pillars of faith, and, by default, having eeman in messenger is having eeman in the message and all aspects of faith in it.

Quote:
One can only be a mu'min in the strong sense when one has cultivated sufficient degree of eeman [strict] from the 6 pillars of eeman. This must take time to develop and it different from one who has just converted or a beginner Muslim.
Eeman is not "cultivated" but you either have it or do not have it. What you cultivate is your good actions because of your eeman in Allah and His messenger (who had delivered the message).

Quote:
As I said, even a parrot can recite the Shahada. But a parrot which recite the Shahada cannot be a Muslim.
Why not, when he is submitting to his master?

Quote:
To be a Muslim a person must recite the Shahada with the intent and impulse to surrender and submit, thus entering into a covenant and complying with its term.
No. He is declaring his eeman and obeying just one command or else there won't be any need for 4 more pillars of Islam.

Quote:
Believing is merely believing, i.e. a kind of mental process. Submission is a different mental process and not defaulted to believing.
Submission is both the mental process (eeman) and physical process (action). Only the 6 pillars are complied with the "mental process" (eeman) but the 5 pillars are complied with the physical process (actions) too.

Quote:
If you believe I am a good potential employee for your company, I am not yet an employee of your until both us sign an employment contract with deliberate intent. Once an employee I will have to obey the instruction of the supervisors and employer.
If you believe that I am a good adviser, you need to take my advice too. Taking my advice would be in good faith. In religious term, "in good faith" would be called eeman.

Quote:
Similarly one can believe in Allah and Islam as a suitable religion for oneself but one can only be a Muslim after deliberating submitting and enter into a covenant with Allah by affirming* with genuine intent the Shahada.
* not merely reciting.
They are not parrots or programmed robots that they merely recite. It is their intent.

Quote:
A person has to exercise the mental effort of submission [note my point above] by affirming the Shahada to enter into a covenant with Allah. The obeying and execution of the appropriate commands follows naturally by virtue of the covenant [contract/agreement].
What is critical is the initial submission, once that is done the Muslim is always in a constant state of submission until otherwise.
So once a Muslim always a Muslims after the first submission through Shahada? Good! Brother Woodrow does not have to pray, fast or give zakat as he is still in Islam (submission) just by one action of saying Shahada. This must be New islam from Continuum!

Quote:
This is what is represented in reality.
Your precise term of eeman is from unreality.
You keep your reality in loose sense and I keep my eeman in precise sense.

Quote:
This is so naïve.
Note I stated that is one sense or one perspective of it.
Problem is you are unable to shift perspective to understand it.
There is no need for me to shift my perspective which is precise perspective. You shift if you like, it makes no difference to me in my eeman (in precise sense).

Quote:
Note I stated the difference between the to be converted Muslim generally do not expressed the Shahada with heavy or very strong conviction merely because s/he is a new to Islam thus has weaker eeman.
You are not talking about yourself, are you?

Quote:
There is generally a difference in the degree of eeman [strict] between one who is a Muslim for one day only and one who has been a Muslim for 40 years and practicing diligently.
You do not understand that there are many new Muslims who are strong in eeman and many old Muslims weak in eeman.

Quote:
The problem with your thinking is you are thinking if not pure black then it must be pure white.
You failed or deliberately ignore the range of greys in between.
Not in case of eeman! There is no grey area in eeman. It is precise term, as white as milk.

Quote:
To you there is no difference between a Muslim of one day and a Muslim of 40 years in term of the degree of eeman [strict] and mu'min_ness.
This is where you are not thinking correctly. What really matters is not degree of eeman but degree of deeds after having eeman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 01:10 AM

3,440 posts, read 1,583,862 times
[quote=Khalif;43843842]Eeman is precise term in precise sense. The rest is just made up of all kind of senses as mixed salad.[quote]Eeman is specific to Islam but eeman can be used in the strict or loose sense.

Quote:
You are talking in ignorance of Islam. If there are 5 pillars of Islam and the first pillar is only two pillars of faith, how come the other 4 pillars are not part of Islam?

You need to understand that the 1st pillar of Islam is combination of all 6 pillars of faith.
Btw, I never said the other 4 pillars are not part of Islam.
Whatever is Islamic are all part of Islam.
But when one deal the various elements of Islamic in the strict sense we have to deal with them specifically and not conflate/equivocate them.
In good thinking, i.e. logic equivocation is a serious 'crime' and you are committing equivocation when you don't deal with a term in the strict or loose sense where applicable.

It is obvious the 1st pillar is central to Islam and Muslims.
But as I had said many times, the faith [eeman] a beginner Muslims is different from a Muslim who has been practicing diligently for 40 years.
Thus in both cases, both has eeman but the degree of eeman is different.

Quote:
Eeman is not "cultivated" but you either have it or do not have it. What you cultivate is your good actions because of your eeman in Allah and His messenger (who had delivered the message).
A person must have faith to be a Muslim.
However there are degrees and intensity to eeman.
Note Allah implied there are degrees and intensity to one's eeman in the Quran.
How else can one have degrees in eeman if the Muslim did not cultivate to increase it?

Quote:
You do not understand that there are many new Muslims who are strong in eeman and many old Muslims weak in eeman.
You have bad comprehension of English?

I am very aware of your point, that is why I began my sentence with

"There is generally ........ "

It is only in the exception that there may be new Muslims who has strong eeman but not in general.

Quote:
Not in case of eeman! There is no grey area in eeman. It is precise term, as white as milk.
This is where you are not thinking correctly. What really matters is not degree of eeman but degree of deeds after having eeman.
Degree of deeds is a reflection of the degree of eeman, in this case , degrees of trust, confidence and conviction.

Note eeman in the strict sense is absolute total acceptance.
One cannot have absolute total acceptance instantly but it has to be developed within a believer in time.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
Eeman is precise term in precise sense. The rest is just made up of all kind of senses as mixed salad.
Quote:
Eeman is specific to Islam but eeman can be used in the strict or loose sense.
Eeman is not specific to Islam (Muslims) but it is used in the Qur'an as precise term in precise sense.

Quote:
Btw, I never said the other 4 pillars are not part of Islam.
Whatever is Islamic are all part of Islam.
Tell me then as to where these "other 4 pillars" are in 5 pillars of Islam????
If you do not know, you do not know anything about eeman and pillars of Islam, and you can't argue in an informed manner about eeman here with me.

Quote:
But when one deal the various elements of Islamic in the strict sense we have to deal with them specifically and not conflate/equivocate them.
In good thinking, i.e. logic equivocation is a serious 'crime' and you are committing equivocation when you don't deal with a term in the strict or loose sense where applicable.
Eeman can be used only in precise sense. Breakng it into loose sense is senseless and a serious 'crime' against the Qur''an.

Quote:
It is obvious the 1st pillar is central to Islam and Muslims.
But as I had said many times, the faith [eeman] a beginner Muslims is different from a Muslim who has been practicing diligently for 40 years.
Thus in both cases, both has eeman but the degree of eeman is different.
How can you say so when you do not even know those new Muslims when they have declared their eeman and fully complied with the 1st pillar of Islam that includes all 6 pillars of faith?

Quote:
A person must have faith to be a Muslim.
Exactly!

Did the wandering Arabs have faith? Allah said "No". So there you are at last proven wrong by yourself about 49:14 and 49:17. Asad was correct and others wrong. I have managed to make you contradict yourself on this one. I knew you would do it sooner or later.

Quote:
However there are degrees and intensity to eeman.
Note Allah implied there are degrees and intensity to one's eeman in the Quran.
How else can one have degrees in eeman if the Muslim did not cultivate to increase it?
There are no degrees in erman; only degrees in deeds. It is deeds that are cultivated through eeman rather than eeman is cultivated through deeds. If anything, eeman is consolidated through by spirit (ruh), guidance, light, wisdom and signs from Allah.

Quote:
You have bad comprehension of English?
You have bad comprehension of English grammar.

Quote:
I am very aware of your point, that is why I began my sentence with

"There is generally ........ "

It is only in the exception that there may be new Muslims who has strong eeman but not in general.
You are wrong!

It is "generally" the other way round.

Quote:
Degree of deeds is a reflection of the degree of eeman, in this case , degrees of trust, confidence and conviction.
No. The degree of deeds is due to man's strength or weakness after having eeman. He is not weak because he has eeman in only half the pillars of faith, and he is not strong because he has eeman in all 6 pillars of faith. I have been strong even when I hadn't even heard about half the pillars of faith but was saying Shahada several times a day in my school days.

Quote:
Note eeman in the strict sense is absolute total acceptance.
One cannot have absolute total acceptance instantly but it has to be developed within a believer in time.
You are a believer if you accept and unbeliever if you do not accept. Anything in between is in your mind only.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:14 AM

Quote:
No. The degree of deeds is due to man's strength or weakness after having eeman. He is not weak because he has eeman in only half the pillars of faith, and he is not strong because he has eeman in all 6 pillars of faith. I have been strong even when I hadn't even heard about half the pillars of faith but was saying Shahada several times a day in my school days.

You are a believer if you accept and unbeliever if you do not accept. Anything in between is in your mind only.
Quote:
8:4. Those [Muslims] are they who are in truth believers [almu'minoona]. For them [Muslims] are grades [degrees] (of honour) with their Lord, and pardon, and a bountiful provision.
There are many verses like the above where a mu'min [strict] are graded by Allah.
When a mu'min [strict] is graded, it can only mean he is graded based on the degree of his eeman [strict].

You are you to judge yourself that you have strong eeman [strict].
That is only based on your own person feelings.
Only Allah and judge what is your degree of eeman [strict].

While humans cannot judge for Allah, they can refer to the words of Allah in the Quran to make reasonable objective judgments.
From the Quran we gather there are 6 main pillars of eeman.
The absolute total acceptance of these 6 main pillars of eeman will represent the highest degree of eeman, let say, 95%. This is of course the ideal which is not expected to be achieved by normal human beings.

If the ideal is 95%, then there is a possible range of eeman from 1%-95%.
A person grade is dependent on the average score of all the relevant main pillars of eeman.
Heavier weight may be given to the first pillar.

If a person focus is only on two pillars says 90% x2 =180.
However the average score is only 30%, i.e. 180/6.

Therefore a person must work on all the 6 pillars of eeman [as in the Quran] to gain a reasonable degree and grading of eeman [strict].

Note the above general principles are not specific to Islam but are applicable to all religions, spiritual and every aspect of life.

7 Year Old Girl From England Memorises the Entire Qur’an
http://ilmfeed.com/7-year-old-girl-f...-entire-quran/
Maariya [7] from Luton, England has completed memorising the entire Qur’an.

Do you think this 7 years old girl has more or the same degree of eeman [strict] as a Muslim who has been practicing Islam correctly [6 pillars of eeman] and consistently for 40 years?

Old 04-28-2016, 03:08 AM

Quote:
There are many verses like the above where a mu'min [strict] are graded by Allah.
When a mu'min [strict] is graded, it can only mean he is graded based on the degree of his eeman [strict].
You can't understand the Qur'an.

A Mu'min is not graded for his eeman which he has anyway but with Allah are grades of honour/positions/stations higher or lower according to a Mu'min's deeds. On judgment day, it will be the deeds that would be weighed of a Mu'min/Muslim rather than his eeman would be weighed.

Quote:
You do not understand once more. I am not judging you or anyone else but myself, and not weighing my eeman. You need to understand the difference betwwen I being strong in eeman and my eeman being strong. You are thinking of the latter and I am expressing the former.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:39 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,284,120 times
Quote:

That is only based on your own person feelings.
Only Allah and judge what is your degree of eeman [strict].

While humans cannot judge for Allah, they can refer to the words of Allah in the Quran to make reasonable objective judgments.
From the Quran we gather there are 6 main pillars of eeman.
The absolute total acceptance of these 6 main pillars of eeman will represent the highest degree of eeman, let say, 95%. This is of course the ideal which is not expected to be achieved by normal human beings.

If the ideal is 95%, then there is a possible range of eeman from 1%-95%.
A person grade is dependent on the average score of all the relevant main pillars of eeman.
Heavier weight may be given to the first pillar.

If a person focus is only on two pillars says 90% x2 =180.
However the average score is only 30%, i.e. 180/6.

Therefore a person must work on all the 6 pillars of eeman [as in the Quran] to gain a reasonable degree and grading of eeman [strict].

Note the above general principles are not specific to Islam but are applicable to all religions, spiritual and every aspect of life.

7 Year Old Girl From England Memorises the Entire Qur'an - Ilm Feed

Do you think this 7 years old girl has more or the same degree of eeman [strict] as a Muslim who has been practicing Islam correctly [6 pillars of eeman] and consistently for 40 years?

As Eeman is not quantifiable and is a matter of Quality in relation to a person's knowledge and ability. most likely the 7 year old has a much greater Quality of Eeman.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 04-29-2016, 12:24 AM

Quote:
You can't understand the Qur'an.
A Mu'min is not graded for his eeman which he has anyway but with Allah are grades of honour/positions/stations higher or lower according to a Mu'min's deeds. On judgment day, it will be the deeds that would be weighed of a Mu'min/Muslim rather than his eeman would be weighed.
You are insulting Allah's perfect intelligence and your own intelligence.

To judge merely upon one's deed is too superficial in this case and other serious cases.
When someone is killed, a good judge will always try to assess the mental state and intent of the murderer.

Allah is all-powerful and claimed in the Quran, Allah know the finest information in the hearts of humans.
Therefore when Allah judged on J-Day, Allah will definitely take into account what was in the hearts of humans.
All deeds of a Muslim are influenced by the degree of eeman [faith] in his heart.
If two Muslims pray and execute various [deeds] the exact number of times all their life, there is no way they will have the same degree of faith [beliefs without proofs] in the 6 pillars of eeman within the mind and their "hearts."

Thus when Allah judges on J-Day, Allah all powerful and all knowing will take into account a Muslim's degree of eeman [faith or beliefs without proofs].

Quote:
You do not understand once more. I am not judging you or anyone else but myself, and not weighing my eeman. You need to understand the difference betwwen I being strong in eeman and my eeman being strong. You are thinking of the latter and I am expressing the former.
In the strict sense I agree there is a difference between strong in eeman and eeman being strong.
In your case, your eeman being strong can only come from a strong eeman.
Give me an example to present your difference.

Anyway, I understand you are judging yourself, but my point is your judgement is at best merely a personal opinion, especially you do not understand all human beings exercise different degrees of faith [beliefs without proofs] that is the same for all Muslims' degree of eeman [i.e. faith or beliefs without proofs].

Old 04-29-2016, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post

As Eeman is not quantifiable and is a matter of Quality in relation to a person's knowledge and ability. most likely the 7 year old has a much greater Quality of Eeman.
It is impossible to quantify the precise measurement of any abstract thing.
Subjective elements will vary with different people, but there are approaches that can quantify subjective elements as objectively to as near as possible.

Note for example in beauty contests, gymnastics, diving, dancing competitions, etc.
This can be done with using various criteria, weightages, probabilities and other features to minimize subjectivity as much as possible.
For example, in diving competitions [including Olympics] out of the scores of the 10 judges [say] the extreme lowest and highest are removed to exclude possible biasness. Then the 8 other scores are averaged out. The points of all competitors are then ranked.
Not everyone will agree with the final results and there will be disputes but the majority are likely to agree and disputes are noted and any oversights are corrected for future competitions.

Using the principles of the above approaches, it is not impossible to quantify a person's eeman [faith] to as near as possible to God's perfect judgment.
Obviously that 7 years old girl will have a greater degree of eeman when compared to children of the same age or thereabout. But based on the various criteria[s] in relation to the 6 pillars of eeman, it is not likely for a 7 years old to possess a stronger degree of eeman in comparison to a Muslim who had been studying and practicing Islam diligently for 40 years.

Example, take the first pillar, i.e. belief in God.
God is invisible to humans but God can be conceptualized or rather idealized within a large range of conceptions.
It can range for God being Great [1/100] to an ontological God [99/100].
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontological_argument
"God is a being than which none greater can be conceptualized"

I don't believe a 7 years old will have a mind to understand and realize the ontological concept of God.
At most I will rate her at 30/100 for the first pillar while someone who understand the ontological concept of god plus its philosophical argument will be rated 75/100.

Therefore I am certain the degree of eeman in that 7 years old girl cannot be greater than a Muslim who has been studying and practicing Islam diligently for 40 years based on the ontological argument of God.

The above is merely a comparison of one pillar but to be accurate we need to assess all the pillars of eeman to arrive at the best approximate degree of eeman of a Muslim.

Humans will never be able to produce the exact measurements by Allah on J-DAY or any day. However humans can do something to get an estimate as near as possible to God's judgment.

Such an "objective" approach to a subjective element of the degree of faith can be useful to facilitate/support the progress of a Muslim's religiosity that will please Allah.

Get it?

Old 04-29-2016, 01:21 AM

Quote:
You are insulting Allah's perfect intelligence and your own intelligence.
I am quite sure that even you do not believe (loose) this statement.

Quote:
To judge merely upon one's deed is too superficial in this case and other serious cases.
When someone is killed, a good judge will always try to assess the mental state and intent of the murderer.
Yes, the intent is taken into account but it is still the action that is judged whether it was good or bad.

Quote:
In the strict sense I agree there is a difference between strong in eeman and eeman being strong.
In your case, your eeman being strong can only come from a strong eeman.
Give me an example to present your difference.
All Muslims have eeman that Allah will punish them if they kill an innocent human beings. I will not kill any innocent human being because I am strong in eeman. Another Muslim might kill an innocent person in anger. He is not strong in eeman despite believing in all 6 pillars of faith.

Quote:
Anyway, I understand you are judging yourself, but my point is your judgement is at best merely a personal opinion, especially you do not understand all human beings exercise different degrees of faith [beliefs without proofs] that is the same for all Muslims' degree of eeman [i.e. faith or beliefs without proofs].
It is not degree of faith/eeman but each Muslim's strength in eeman. Eeman is faith in all 6 pillars (which are 6 beliefs) and does not vary but how a Muslim acts, strongly or weakly, within eeman.

Another example, every Muslim believes that giving truthful testamony in a court is required if as he has eeman. Many Muslims are weak in their eeman and give false testamonies in court to help their relatives or friends. A Muslim who is strong in eeman will not do so. Being strong in eeman is what brings peace and justice in this world. Islam (and eeman) can bring peace and justice in this world but weak in eeman Muslims are stopping this happening. This is why there is chaos in the world. It is so because (a) people have no eeman (unbelivers) and (b) many of those who have it (Muslim) are weak rather than steadfast.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:01 AM

Quote:
I am quite sure that even you do not believe (loose) this statement.
Yes, the intent is taken into account but it is still the action that is judged whether it was good or bad.
The critical element here is the intent and the degree of faith that generate the action. Allah will definitely take the degree of faith into account so that the appropriate reward will be accorded.
For example, a Muslim may go to war for the cause of Allah but it does not meant all who go to war will be rewarded the same, but the intensity [e.g. spontaneous and no hesitation in mind] of the faith that drive them to the cause of Allah will count.

Another critical point is once a person faces Allah or J-Day it is too late to do any correction. Thus what is critical for any Muslim is the degree of eeman that they need to cultivate so that all their actions are naturally of the highest standard.
Actions counts of J-Day but what make actions that will meet Allah's standard will depend critically on one degrees of eeman that will drive one to higher standards.

Quote:
All Muslims have eeman that Allah will punish them if they kill an innocent human beings. I will not kill any innocent human being because I am strong in eeman. Another Muslim might kill an innocent person in anger. He is not strong in eeman despite believing in all 6 pillars of faith.
How do you have strong eeman if you have not cultivated that strong eeman based on the standards set by Allah in the Quran?
That is why I said that you cannot be your own judge on this to claim you have strong eeman when you don't know what is the full definition of eeman in the Quran, i.e. defined by Allah.
In the Quran, eeman proper relates to the 6 pillars of eeeman.

Note my explanation Woodrow LI on the degree of eeman regarding to the 7 years old girl.

Quote:
It is not degree of faith/eeman but each Muslim's strength in eeman. Eeman is faith in all 6 pillars (which are 6 beliefs) and does not vary but how a Muslim acts, strongly or weakly, within eeman.
You cannot be that ignorant of general knowledge.
What is strength if not degree of strength.
Therefore each Muslim's strength in eeman is the same as their degrees in eeman.
The degrees of a Muslim's eeman will definitely vary.
It is eeman or faith that generate strength and the degree of a Muslim's eeman will generate different strength or weaknesses.

It is said, "faith can move mountains"
Obviously that degree of faith must be high and strong to generate the strength to move mountains.
If the degree of faith is lower or weaker, there would be lesser strength to move only a small hill.

Quote:
Another example, every Muslim believes that giving truthful testamony in a court is required if as he has eeman. Many Muslims are weak in their eeman and give false testamonies in court to help their relatives or friends. A Muslim who is strong in eeman will not do so. Being strong in eeman is what brings peace and justice in this world. Islam (and eeman) can bring peace and justice in this world but weak in eeman Muslims are stopping this happening. This is why there is chaos in the world. It is so because (a) people have no eeman (unbelivers) and (b) many of those who have it (Muslim) are weak rather than steadfast.
I don't agree with the above in relation to the eeman within Islam.

The eeman of the Muslim is conditioned by the 6 pillars of eeman in the Quran.
The degree of eeman [strict] will correlate with how much one has comply with the 6 pillars of eeman in the Quran and no where else.

One of the pillars of eeman is the absolute and total acceptance of the Scriptures of Allah as recited by his messenger, Muhammad.
This imply a Muslim must comply 100% with whatever need to be complied within the 6,236 verses of the Quran and no where else.
100% is impossible for ordinary Muslims, then a Muslim must do his best.

The Quran stipulate peace can only appear in this world when all have accepted Islam as the superior religion or non-Muslims are subjugated and pay jizya, and thus all Muslims must do their best to promote this when their eeman is strong [higher degree] on this point.
If a Muslim has strong eeman on the scripture [one pillar] they must do what the scripture [Quran] expect them to do, e.g. which include a strong stance of "us versus them" and be harsh, stern and aloof to non-Muslims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam