U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-23-2016, 09:06 AM
 
Location: Candy Kingdom
3,228 posts, read 2,858,286 times
Reputation: 5187

Advertisements

While this blogger isn't Muslim and mixes how she was raised and her new beliefs together, I found the post to be very valid. I was raised Catholic until I was 11 and accepted Islam first when I was 20, then really accepted it when I was 26. I remember prayer when I was a child - I prayed for specific outcomes and was crushed when God didn't deliver on them. I could relate to the blogger in that way.

However, since I've been learning how to pray, I see the real meaning behind prayer. Although the blogger and I share different religious backgrounds now, I see this in Islamic prayer as well. "The moment I let go of my fixed approach to a situation or person and I allow that maybe, just maybe there's another way to resolve the situation, I feel relief. Maybe, just maybe, there's a new thought or idea that could shed a peaceful light on the day. That's what prayer does for me. It creates a little crack in my closed-up-tighter-than-a-drum-mind and that crack allows another idea —a better idea—to enter." This sums up my experiences so far and has made me stronger... especially given circumstances and being a survivor.

Here is the link to the whole blog: Adventures of a Southern Buddhist-Catholic : Ask, Seek, Knock ... That is All.

What do you think? I'd like to hear more about peoples' experiences with prayer, especially those who have been practicing their life time (or longer than a year).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-23-2016, 01:14 PM
 
3,167 posts, read 1,042,053 times
Reputation: 289
There is no point in asking for something through prayer but doing nothing else to deserve it. Prayers merely pave the path but walking on that path towards your goal is done by yourself. This is why in the Islamic prayer one asks to be shown the straight path. Allah can only guide you but you have to try to change your condition yourself. Ŕllah won't help you unless you try to change it yourself first. Anyone who tries, deserves what he strives for, and Allah knows what one really deserves by his/her efforts.

Human being will get nothing but what s/he strives for (53:39)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2016, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Candy Kingdom
3,228 posts, read 2,858,286 times
Reputation: 5187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
There is no point in asking for something through prayer but doing nothing else to deserve it. Prayers merely pave the path but walking on that path towards your goal is done by yourself. This is why in the Islamic prayer one asks to be shown the straight path. Allah can only guide you but you have to try to change your condition yourself. Ŕllah won't help you unless you try to change it yourself first. Anyone who tries, deserves what he strives for, and Allah knows what one really deserves by his/her efforts.

Human being will get nothing but what s/he strives for (53:39)
I really feel that way too. It's a great feeling that sometimes it's hard to put in words. The gifts of Allah are so beautiful; life is so beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2016, 03:06 PM
 
3,167 posts, read 1,042,053 times
Reputation: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I really feel that way too. It's a great feeling that sometimes it's hard to put in words. The gifts of Allah are so beautiful; life is so beautiful.
Exactly the point!

Life (our existence) is the greatest favour/gift from Allah besides many other favours. We should never be ungrateful but always be content and grateful. Life is not a bed of roses at all times. There are always ups and downs in it. Just as there is day light after a dark night, and spring after a winter, there is relief after difficulties. In patience, humbleness., content, gratefulness lies our peace and true happiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2016, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Candy Kingdom
3,228 posts, read 2,858,286 times
Reputation: 5187
Yes. I am grateful Allah gave me a second chance at life. I was saved the night I could have died. For that, I truly am grateful. With that, my outlook on prayer has changed from when I was a small girl. Have times been tough since then? Yes, of course... but you're right, life isn't a bed of roses and we learn from the tough times too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2016, 12:36 AM
 
Location: Not-a-Theist
3,440 posts, read 1,588,113 times
Reputation: 461
It is correct those who wish for some positive outcome are vulnerable to be disappointed if there is no positive results to their prayers.

However we need to understand religious followers has a spiritual and psychological profile [analogy] from kindergarten to PhD.
Those at the kindergarten levels will need pray with an expectation of a positive outcome while those at the PhD levels do to pray for anything at all, but rather they "pray" in the form of meditation on God consciousness. Those in between will pray with a variety of approaches and expectations.

I believe those who are in a certain stages of religiosity [kindergarten and grade school] and have the proclivities to pray for positive outcome for oneself or others should continue to do so.
Many who pray to cure their cancer, other diseases and sufferings has been very successful because of the high level of innocent conviction and hope they have and it really works.
If it did not work, all they have to do is to give some acceptable excuses and thus continue to pray in future without any loss in confidence.

I believe prayers [all sorts] do work for those who believe it will work for them.

Basically I do not believe it is god that answers the prayers.
The fact is most of the effective work done by humans are controlled by their subconscious mind at 95% while the conscious mind only does 5% of the work.
Thus when a person pray [one with such inclination] that person surrender [supposedly to God] to the subconscious mind to heal or activated the mind and body to do whatever is necessary.

If any one is interested here is how beliefs work in the subconscious mind by Dr. Bruce Lipton.
The Biology of Beliefs.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2016, 05:15 AM
 
Location: Candy Kingdom
3,228 posts, read 2,858,286 times
Reputation: 5187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
It is correct those who wish for some positive outcome are vulnerable to be disappointed if there is no positive results to their prayers.

However we need to understand religious followers has a spiritual and psychological profile [analogy] from kindergarten to PhD.
Those at the kindergarten levels will need pray with an expectation of a positive outcome while those at the PhD levels do to pray for anything at all, but rather they "pray" in the form of meditation on God consciousness. Those in between will pray with a variety of approaches and expectations.

I believe those who are in a certain stages of religiosity [kindergarten and grade school] and have the proclivities to pray for positive outcome for oneself or others should continue to do so.
Many who pray to cure their cancer, other diseases and sufferings has been very successful because of the high level of innocent conviction and hope they have and it really works.
If it did not work, all they have to do is to give some acceptable excuses and thus continue to pray in future without any loss in confidence.

I believe prayers [all sorts] do work for those who believe it will work for them.

Basically I do not believe it is god that answers the prayers.
The fact is most of the effective work done by humans are controlled by their subconscious mind at 95% while the conscious mind only does 5% of the work.
Thus when a person pray [one with such inclination] that person surrender [supposedly to God] to the subconscious mind to heal or activated the mind and body to do whatever is necessary.

If any one is interested here is how beliefs work in the subconscious mind by Dr. Bruce Lipton.
The Biology of Beliefs.

That's an interesting way to look at it - almost like a self-fulfilling prophecy. Prayer gives the person strength to do what they are asking for. I like that. The prayers and meditation probably calms too,especially if the person is general anxious.

I'll watch that video at a later time when I'm feeling better. I'm interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2016, 12:35 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,299,862 times
Reputation: 7407
If you notice Salat is both action and word--they work together. You do not do salat by staying still
__________________
When posting as a MOD my posts will be in red

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks


MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2016, 11:04 PM
 
Location: Not-a-Theist
3,440 posts, read 1,588,113 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
If you notice Salat is both action and word--they work together. You do not do salat by staying still
The OP is not referring to Salat which the obligatory ritualistic prayers.

The OP refers to one who turned to God with the expectation of a positive outcome [moral] in various circumstances or is a desperate circumstances. As you mentioned somewhere these are duʿāʾ (Arabic: دُعَاء ) in Islam.

As I mentioned prayers to God for a positive outcome is confined to what is possible within one mind and body, e.g. to cure sickness, equanimity to deal with problems, wishes of rewards for one efforts, and the likes.
It will not work if one pray for money to drop from the sky, for rain during a severe drought, a circle to be a square, to levitate and fly by oneself and the likes. Whilst this will not work, nevertheless the 'hope' enable some degree of calmness and away from stress for the individual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2016, 11:12 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,299,862 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
The OP is not referring to Salat which the obligatory ritualistic prayers.

The OP refers to one who turned to God with the expectation of a positive outcome [moral] in various circumstances or is a desperate circumstances. As you mentioned somewhere these are duʿāʾ (Arabic: دُعَاء ) in Islam.

As I mentioned prayers to God for a positive outcome is confined to what is possible within one mind and body, e.g. to cure sickness, equanimity to deal with problems, wishes of rewards for one efforts, and the likes.
It will not work if one pray for money to drop from the sky, for rain during a severe drought, a circle to be a square, to levitate and fly by oneself and the likes. Whilst this will not work, nevertheless the 'hope' enable some degree of calmness and away from stress for the individual.
I believe Jess is aware of what salat is and that we personalize them in our preparation through wudu and stating our desired benefits (Intentions) as part of our preparation.
__________________
When posting as a MOD my posts will be in red

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks


MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top