U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 10:19 PM

3,440 posts, read 1,581,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
You are reading in the verse something that is not in the verse but in your imagination only.

If I tell a Muslim not to drink alcohol before going to pray, it does not mean that I am telling him to drink alcohol at all other times.

The verse 17:36 does not say or even imply to "follow" or "pursue" the factual knowledge (that would be too obvious) but follow or pursue NOT that you have no knowledge of.

The verse also does not mean that we should not pursue positive knowledge. The only possible meaning of this verse is that we should not pursue negative knowledge about which we know nothing and does not concern us. This includes being nosy, trying be a fly on the wall as well as giving false testamony when you had no knowledge about the facts of the case.
You are the one who is imagining what is not meant in the verse, i.e.

Khalif: we should not pursue negative knowledge about which we know nothing and does not concern us.

The main principle of what
17:36 (O man), follow not that whereof thou hast no knowledge.
convey to believers is this;

Do not accept knowledge that are not verified to its truth.
or
Only accept knowledge that are verified to its truth.

Such knowledge can relate to sight, hearing and of the "heart."

Now if it is knowledge verified to the truth, then it is not a lie and Allah will not punish anyone for telling the truth and not lying. [with exception of Tagiya] This is straight forward in the context of the whole Quran and Islam.

One will be an ignorant fool if one do not pursue knowledge we know nothing of.
If this is the case, then one should not go to school to learn of so much knowledge that we know nothing and does not concern us. Perhaps this is how Boko Haram and others interpret 17:36 and therefrom they condemn educations and threaten violence on education.

Also are you insisting one should not be curious of anything that we see, hear, or feel that trigger our attention. Note how Scientists go to the extreme to verify knowledge that do not concern them or know nothing of based merely on their personal interests and inclinations.

The critical point here is;
Only accept knowledge that are verified to its truth based on hearing, seeing and feelings [heart], then apply them correctly and morally.

The irony and contradiction to 17:36 is Allah [God] is based on speculations that cannot be verified to its truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 05:49 AM

3,166 posts, read 1,036,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
You are the one who is imagining what is not meant in the verse, i.e.

Khalif: we should not pursue negative knowledge about which we know nothing and does not concern us.

The main principle of what
17:36 (O man), follow not that whereof thou hast no knowledge.
convey to believers is this;

Do not accept knowledge that are not verified to its truth.
or
Only accept knowledge that are verified to its truth.

Such knowledge can relate to sight, hearing and of the "heart."
There is difference in "pursue not" and "accept not". Why can't you understand the difference? Go back to primary school to learn the difference!

Old 05-16-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
There is difference in "pursue not" and "accept not". Why can't you understand the difference? Go back to primary school to learn the difference!
You are thinking like a kindergarten child who is not matured yet to have critical and dynamic broad thinking.

Point is if one is exhorted not to pursue knowledge [e.g. evil] imply one will not be able to accept knowledge that is evil.
The critical point here is the eventual acceptance of the knowledge not the pursuance of knowledge.

Old 05-18-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
You are thinking like a kindergarten child who is not matured yet to have critical and dynamic broad thinking.

Point is if one is exhorted not to pursue knowledge [e.g. evil] imply one will not be able to accept knowledge that is evil.
The critical point here is the eventual acceptance of the knowledge not the pursuance of knowledge.
Your understanding is very poor. The verse is about not pursuing knowledge rather than not accepting knowledge. You still can't understand the difference.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Your understanding is very poor. The verse is about not pursuing knowledge rather than not accepting knowledge. You still can't understand the difference.
Read 17:36 again,
17:36 (O man), follow not that whereof thou hast no knowledge. Lo! the hearing and the sight and the heart - of each of these it will be asked.
note in "follow not," the 'follow' imply one must first accept [or believe] before one can follow that knowledge.

Thus the sentence can be presented as;
17:36 (O man), accept not that whereof thou hast no knowledge.

When I interchange "accept" for "follow" the sentence still make sense.

The point here is I understand the message in a greater sense and more effective sense than you.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Read 17:36 again,
17:36 (O man), follow not that whereof thou hast no knowledge. Lo! the hearing and the sight and the heart - of each of these it will be asked.
note in "follow not," the 'follow' imply one must first accept [or believe] before one can follow that knowledge.
"Follow not" is not "accept not" but "pursue not". You must have a mental block if you can't understand this. It is really silly to even think that we should not accept any knowledge about which we know nothing. That means we are not to accept the knowledge of the Qur'an. Ridiculous!

Quote:
Thus the sentence can be presented as;
17:36 (O man), accept not that whereof thou hast no knowledge.
Thus the sentence can be presented as:
17:36 (O man), do not keep pursuing about the affairs of others that whereof thou hast no knowledge.

Quote:
When I interchange "accept" for "follow" the sentence still make sense.
It does not make any sense unless it was not pursuing negative knowledge.

Quote:
The point here is I understand the message in a greater sense and more effective sense than you.
You make me laugh with these jokes.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:03 AM

Quote:
"Follow not" is not "accept not" but "pursue not". You must have a mental block if you can't understand this. It is really silly to even think that we should not accept any knowledge about which we know nothing. That means we are not to accept the knowledge of the Qur'an. Ridiculous!
I think you are one who is being silly in this case.

"Having no knowledge" mean a thought, an idea that is based on speculation, imagination, dreams, etc. that is not supported by evidence or for a Muslim -not from the Quran only.
One can speculate, imagine, dream any thing from one's mind.
A Muslim could speculate or imagine his wife is having an affair with another but he does not have real knowledge and evidence that it is so.
A Muslim could speculate there is a ton of Gold underneath the Kaaba.
What a person could be mistaken, speculate, imagine, and dream of is endless.

Therefore a person should not accept or follow up with what is speculated, mistaken, imagine, dreamt unless one has knowledge, i.e. justified evidence or in the case of a Muslim -whatever is stated by Allah in the Quran.

Quote:
Thus the sentence can be presented as:
17:36 (O man), do not keep pursuing about the affairs of others that whereof thou hast no knowledge.
This indicate your thinking is very shallow in contrast to my explanation above.
It is not restricted to the affairs of others, but extend to all thoughts of one self that has no basis and not supported by evidence [knowledge] nor the words of Allah [if Muslim].

Quote:
It does not make any sense unless it was not pursuing negative knowledge.

You make me laugh with these jokes.
From my explanation above you are the butt of the joke.

Last edited by Continuum; 05-19-2016 at 12:23 AM..

Old 05-19-2016, 06:05 AM

Quote:
I think you are one who is being silly in this case.
I don't think you are being silly in this case; you ARE being silly in this case.

Quote:
This indicate your thinking is very shallow in contrast to my explanation above.
Your silly explanation indicates that your knowledge of the Qur'an is quite poor.

Quote:
It is not restricted to the affairs of others, but extend to all thoughts of one self that has no basis and not supported by evidence [knowledge] nor the words of Allah [if Muslim].
Another proof from yourself that you are ignorant about what is stated in the Qur'an.

Quote:
From my explanation above you are the butt of the joke.
Your explanation is definitely a joke; ha ha ha.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
I don't think you are being silly in this case; you ARE being silly in this case.

Your silly explanation indicates that your knowledge of the Qur'an is quite poor.

Another proof from yourself that you are ignorant about what is stated in the Qur'an.

Your explanation is definitely a joke; ha ha ha.
Without your counter views, your above is nothing but babbling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or