Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 02:25 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,631,163 times

Advertisements

17:36 (O man), follow not that whereof thou hast no knowledge. Lo! the hearing and the sight and the heart - of each of these it will be asked.

Wala taqfu ma laysa laka bihi AAilmun inna alssamAAa waalbasara waalfu-ada kullu ola-ika kana AAanhu mas-oolan
What is meant by "knowledge" in verse 17:36?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 02:34 AM

Here is one commentary on the above;
Tafsir Ibn Kathir - English [17. Al-Isra' - Verse: 36]

Quote:
Ali bin Abi Talhah reported that Ibn `Abbas said: "This means) do not say (anything of which you have no knowledge).''

Al-`Awfi said: "Do not accuse anyone of that of which you have no knowledge.''

Muhammad bin Al-Hanafiyyah said: "It means bearing false witness.''

Qatadah said: "Do not say, `I have seen', when you did not see anything, or `I have heard', when you did not hear anything, or `I know', when you do not know, for Allah will ask you about all of that.''

In conclusion, what they said means that Allah forbids speaking without knowledge and only on the basis of suspicion, which is mere imagination and illusions.
Is the above commentary credible?

Old 05-07-2016, 10:57 AM

352 posts, read 418,193 times
Bismillaah ir Rahmaan ir Rahiim. As salaamu alaykum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
17:36 (O man), follow not that whereof thou hast no knowledge. Lo! the hearing and the sight and the heart - of each of these it will be asked.

Wala taqfu ma laysa laka bihi AAilmun inna alssamAAa waalbasara waalfu-ada kullu ola-ika kana AAanhu mas-oolan
What is meant by "knowledge" in verse 17:36?

Facts, information, and skills acquired by a person through experience or education.

Old 05-07-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Here is one commentary on the above;
Tafsir Ibn Kathir - English [17. Al-Isra' - Verse: 36]

Is the above commentary credible?

This is credible. And it is something that many people err because of. I cannot exclude myself of such erring. I cannot help being suspicious of some actions taking place today.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devotee View Post
Facts, information, and skills acquired by a person through experience or education.
I can agree 'knowledge' is equivalent to information and skills that are factual and can be verified, justified and proven.

Note 17:36 used the term taqfu تَقْفُ ق ف و which could be "pursue" or "follow." and
ʿil'mun عِلْمٌ ع ل م which is "knowledge."

Question: Is il'mun [knowledge] of facts different from eeman [beliefs] in Allah?

Old 05-08-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:

I can agree 'knowledge' is equivalent to information and skills that are factual and can be verified, justified and proven.

Note 17:36 used the term taqfu تَقْفُ ق ف و which could be "pursue" or "follow." and

Question: Is il'mun [knowledge] of facts different from eeman [beliefs] in Allah?

You are asking whether something that is indisputably the case, is fact. Of course it is. Can this type fact give rise to faith in The Only God? Of course it can.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:43 AM

3,640 posts, read 24,595 times
Quote:

No. Nothing like that. Not even about eeman.

The clue to the kind of knowledge (ilm) that you are not to pursue is given in the second part of the verse. Your hearing (ears used to pursue this kind of knowledge), sight (eyes used to pursue this kind of knowledge) and heart (your intention to gain this kind of knowledge) will testify that you did pursue this knowledge when it wasn't your business to know about it.

The kind of knowledge not to be pursued is, for example, trying to find out other peoples' private life that has nothing to do with you. You have no right to spy on them, hear about them when it does not concern you at all in any way. This includes looking into other peoples' homes just to see what they are doing inside or go near two people talking just to hear what they are talking about (do not be nosy). Of course there other examples too but this should be suffice to get some idea of the kind of knowledge that is negative knowledge.

Basically, it is the negative kind of knowledge that does not benefits anyone but is often nothing but intrusion or loss of someone's right. At a basic level, it is looking into someone's front door if it was open, just to see what is happening inside. We are not to do that when walking by that door to go somewhere else.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:40 PM

2,049 posts, read 1,060,095 times
This is the interpretation of verse 36 of Surah Al Isra, one of the references I hope the Islamic interest and the reason for getting out and clear and also is one of the states of the Meccan phase(Do not stop what you have no knowledge))

Saleh Bin Awad Moghamesi

This verse came from, inter alia, the literature of God by His Prophet peace be upon him in Surat Al-Isra and guided its creation.

The fact that the rights given fortunate than aware of the significance reconcile God but God speaks to him in this verse Allah knows best manners of our Prophet, peace be upon him, says his Almighty: ((do not stop what you have no knowledge)) Isra 36.

Although one of the greatest lie that man is lying and betraying the Lord, the Almighty. It Rizk science right Rizk Rizk fear is the fear that he was afraid to say what God has no knowledge of it.

Fbardh take diligent *** where the Otake God benefited
The muster a long history *** people said you might Rast
Not secured a question about God *** reprimanded learned Will worked

Gentile man standing in a matter of forty days, not Lefty?

Said people who had accepted that the Arabs in Jahlithm were baptising a man said to him: Amer bin beating him naturally as aggressive in Jahlithm If disagreed. Suddenly time, a delegation from one of the tribes, they said to him: O Amer found us someone with Altan machine for a male and a female machine and we want to bequeath Will judge him as a female or judge him as a male.

This man stayed polytheist forty days, I do not know what makes them. He had a running graze his sheep said to her: "Schalh" she said to him in the day forty O Amer Guests may eat your sheep leaving you only scratched told me, he said to her owner what it has to Anasrvi to graze sheep, Vosrt him, and when he insisted upon ongoing told her question and told her : what got me like coming down. She told him that the current grazing sheep said to him: O Amer Where are you? Follow the amounts judgment !! If any such person of the male urinating machine so judge him on that and said that it was of the female urinates machine so judge it as a female. He said to her Faragtha Me O Schalh. People was told.

Imam Ouzai may God have mercy on him, he said, commenting on this story: (This gentile man who does not whoever hopes Committee not afraid of fire, do not worship God and depend on the issue of forty days until Lefty in which he said. Including how whoever hopes paradise afraid Fire How should investigate if issued for Fatwa and if asked an order from God Almighty).

Sheikh Secretary Shanqeeti God's mercy will depend on the issue, which I know the people of his time. .

And we realized our sheikh Secretary Shanqeeti God's mercy His statement lights in the Messenger of God City of God be upon him and proved we have that it has came a delegation from Kuwait asking him legitimacy and men's issues in the last days of his life, even the man who at the time said he was not on the face of the earth at that time one knew him when away from the truth, however when asked, he said: I do not know I do not know I do not know, when he ate it is body its then said: I answer the book of God's people, wait for the answer, he said God's mercy: I say as Allah said ((do not stop what you have no knowledge )) Isra 36. When he ate it may God have mercy on him, he said: So and so said so-and-so and so said so-and-so and so said as well but I do not carry my conscience from the words of the people do not know anything.

It is in this stature and knowledge of God's mercy.

And the meaning of this sermon for each of the chest God is not deceived a lot of people to attend to him, or you do not have to answer if you do not learn. The angels said they are angels when Lord ((Glory said we have no knowledge except what You have taught us you Alim Hakim)) Cow 32.

It is a sign of fear and piety that these rights are not approaching booking and stands at what Allah stopped him and exalted him.

Not least in the eye unless you see, not least on what he heard did not hear, nor speak on his tongue did not say what ((The hearing and sight and heart of each of those responsible)) Isra 36.

This and prayed to God, Muhammad and his family and companions.

the source :
City Journal ((Secrets download))
15 -12- 1428
24 - 12-2007

Old 05-09-2016, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
No. Nothing like that. Not even about eeman.

The clue to the kind of knowledge (ilm) that you are not to pursue is given in the second part of the verse. Your hearing (ears used to pursue this kind of knowledge), sight (eyes used to pursue this kind of knowledge) and heart (your intention to gain this kind of knowledge) will testify that you did pursue this knowledge when it wasn't your business to know about it.

The kind of knowledge not to be pursued is, for example, trying to find out other peoples' private life that has nothing to do with you. You have no right to spy on them, hear about them when it does not concern you at all in any way. This includes looking into other peoples' homes just to see what they are doing inside or go near two people talking just to hear what they are talking about (do not be nosy). Of course there other examples too but this should be suffice to get some idea of the kind of knowledge that is negative knowledge.

Basically, it is the negative kind of knowledge that does not benefits anyone but is often nothing but intrusion or loss of someone's right. At a basic level, it is looking into someone's front door if it was open, just to see what is happening inside. We are not to do that when walking by that door to go somewhere else.
So you are saying 'that' [bihi بِهِ ب ] or "it" above refer to negative kind of knowledge.

I don't believe that is the case.
'that' [bihi بِهِ ب ] or "it" can be any thing.

Therefore 17:36 imply, follow "that" which one has knowledge in relation to sight, hearing and heart [mind, intellect, etc.]. This as such refer to facts as mentioned by 'Devotee' above.

'Follow' could mean accept 'that' which is fact.
It is a fact 'the shape of the Sun is round', so this fact is acceptable in accordance to 17:36.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:11 AM

3,640 posts, read 24,595 times
Quote:
So you are saying 'that' [bihi بِهِ ب ] or "it" above refer to negative kind of knowledge.

I don't believe that is the case.
'that' [bihi بِهِ ب ] or "it" can be any thing.

Therefore 17:36 imply, follow "that" which one has knowledge in relation to sight, hearing and heart [mind, intellect, etc.]. This as such refer to facts as mentioned by 'Devotee' above.

'Follow' could mean accept 'that' which is fact.
It is a fact 'the shape of the Sun is round', so this fact is acceptable in accordance to 17:36.
You are reading in the verse something that is not in the verse but in your imagination only.

If I tell a Muslim not to drink alcohol before going to pray, it does not mean that I am telling him to drink alcohol at all other times.

The verse 17:36 does not say or even imply to "follow" or "pursue" the factual knowledge (that would be too obvious) but follow or pursue NOT that you have no knowledge of.

The verse also does not mean that we should not pursue positive knowledge. The only possible meaning of this verse is that we should not pursue negative knowledge about which we know nothing and does not concern us. This includes being nosy, trying be a fly on the wall as well as giving false testamony when you had no knowledge about the facts of the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam