U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 09:41 AM

15,511 posts, read 13,289,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juju33312 View Post
That is not the case in all parts of the world. For example, in the middle east and north africa only 12% claim to be 'just a Muslim'. In South Asia it is only 4%. The larger numbers would be Central Asia with 50% and Southern-Eastern Europe with 56% identifying as 'just a Muslim'. This is no vast majority.

In five of seven countries surveyed in the Middle East and North Africa, at least four-in-ten or more Sunnis say Shias are not Muslims.

From PEW Research.
That Surprises me. I am on several Islamic Forums and all claim to be Muslim with no denomination

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 09:44 AM

3,299 posts, read 1,873,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Most muslims do not identify as being any particular denomination. the Majority simply identify as being Muslim.
Source?

Old 06-02-2016, 10:28 AM

1,601 posts, read 752,279 times
Quote:
That Surprises me. I am on several Islamic Forums and all claim to be Muslim with no denomination
What surprises me is the number of Muslims slaughtered by other Muslims. Over 11 MILLION since 1946. There is much sectarian violence within Islam.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Source?
What would be an acceptable source or how can one be compiled to show that most Muslims only call them self Muslim

I can only think of fatwas by recognized Mufti

What is meant by al-Jamaa’ah is the ‘aqeedah and actions of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and his Companions.

Also few more references from quran about sects

"Verily those who split up their religion and became sects, you have absolutely nothing to do with them." [Holy Qur'an 6:159]

[30:32] (Do not fall in idol worship,) like those who divide their religion into sects; each party rejoicing with what they have.

[42:14] Ironically, they broke up into sects only after the knowledge had come to them, due to jealousy and resentment among themselves. If it were not for a predetermined decision from your Lord to respite them for a definite interim, they would have been judged immediately. Indeed, the later generations who inherited the scripture are full of doubts.

So we can see clearly Allah Warned about sects 1400 years ago and today we can clearly see the sects in islam are more than 72
Sects In Islam - 73 Groups in Islam, Division - Denominations

We are actually forbidden to claim to be part of a sect of denomination

Are there any divisions in Islam?

As a world religion, Islam is practiced in diverse cultures in Africa, the Middle East, Asia, Europe, and America. Differences in religious and cultural practices are therefore wide-ranging. Although there are no denominations in Islam such as exist in the Christian faith (Roman Catholic, Methodist, Episcopalian, Lutheran, etc.), like all faiths, Islam has developed divisions, sects, and schools of thought over various issues. While all Muslims share certain beliefs and practices, such as belief in God, the Quran, Muhammad, and the Five Pillars of Islam, divisions have arisen over questions of political and religious leadership, theology, interpretations of Islamic law, and responses to modernity and the West.

NITLE Arab World Project

Sunni and Shi'ite should not be considered religious denominations, they are political divisions. there is no reason a Sunni can not worship with shi'a or vice versa. The Huge Mosque in Dearborn Michigan is the best example as the congregation consists of Shi'a, Sunni , Sufi, Ismaili and other Muslims.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
What surprises me is the number of Muslims slaughtered by other Muslims. Over 11 MILLION since 1946. There is much sectarian violence within Islam.
If you look deeper you will find that is political differences and not religious. In the Mideast most Shi'a are Iranians (aryans, like the Germans) Most Sunni are Arab ( Semitic like the Jews) Aryans and Semitics have a long history of not playing well together. Also they has been a war over land between Arabs and Iranians that dates back to even pre-Christianity. The discovery of oil in the region did not help matters.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:16 AM

3,299 posts, read 1,873,501 times
Quote:
What would be an acceptable source or how can one be compiled to show that most Muslims only call them self Muslim
Well, you're the one claiming most Muslims choose not to affiliate with a particular sect. Surely you're basing that statement on something.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Well, you're the one claiming most Muslims choose not to affiliate with a particular sect. Surely you're basing that statement on something.

I am basing my words on personal experience. primarily during the years 1970 through 1990 that I spent considerable time in the Islamic nations as an Evangelist spreading Christianity. During that era I never heard a single Muslim state he was anything except Muslim. Even when I asked if a person was Sunni or shi'ite the inevetiable answer was "No, I am Muslim"

Today I am guilty of frequently refering to myself as Sunni of the Hanafi Madhab. But that I generally reserve to say to non-Muslims. I have been called to task many times and admonished by Muslims for saying I am sunni. nearly every Muslim I personally know (Including my Children, wife and Grandchildren) has told me I am not Sunni I am Muslim. i have even had Muslims on this form DM me and tell me that I am making a serious error by saying I am Sunni, I am Muslim, not sunni.

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 06-02-2016 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: Corrected my spelling of Evangelist

Old 06-02-2016, 12:51 PM

1,601 posts, read 752,279 times
Quote:
If you look deeper you will find that is political differences and not religious. In the Mideast most Shi'a are Iranians (aryans, like the Germans) Most Sunni are Arab ( Semitic like the Jews) Aryans and Semitics have a long history of not playing well together. Also they has been a war over land between Arabs and Iranians that dates back to even pre-Christianity. The discovery of oil in the region did not help matters.
It's all part of Islam so it doesn't matter. If we consider the sects and that people belonging to sects are going against Islam, I would guess there are not many real Muslims on earth. If we take away the sect members, the terrorists, the ones who support terrorism, the children and infants too young to choose, the ones who are afraid to leave, the ones who have no access to any other ideology so have no choice, the ones who drink and/or gamble....how many muslims would be left? Not many!

Old 06-02-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
It's all part of Islam so it doesn't matter. If we consider the sects and that people belonging to sects are going against Islam, I would guess there are not many real Muslims on earth. If we take away the sect members, the terrorists, the ones who support terrorism, the children and infants too young to choose, the ones who are afraid to leave, the ones who have no access to any other ideology so have no choice, the ones who drink and/or gamble....how many muslims would be left? Not many!
Hard to say. As not even Muslims know who is a Muslim. We accept all people that say they are Muslim as being Muslim. although we might say their actions are not Islamic as we understand Islam to be.

I know Atheists that perform Islam better then some Muslims do. If you were to divide us into sects I think you would come to the conclusion every Muslim is their own sect.

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 06-02-2016 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: did some spelling corrections

Old 06-02-2016, 02:49 PM

2,730 posts, read 2,086,003 times
How a person who states such imaginary things is able to be a moderator?

That is huge insult by all ways to state that all people are something without their concent.

Especially what comes to religions, which should be free for all and not insulted. You personal insult everyone who does not choose to be muslim, please warn yourself, 3 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or