U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 10:55 AM

2,826 posts, read 1,865,120 times

Advertisements

That's great. I'm glad you think so. I'm sure Mormons are thrilled at having comparisons drawn between themselves and Muslims, but there are similarities. Also, read the link.

The reason Ninevah isn't relevant? It's because the Bible, unlike secular literature, is not intended as history. Only secular people dwell on secular history, because history contains bias. ("History is written by the winners" And the sore losers, who don't want to admit their mistakes so they paint themselves in a good light)

https://www.umass.edu/wsp/history/outline/bias.html

We don't know if there was a historical Amos, Moses, or Jonah. It is unlikely the Earth was created in 7 days (sorry, 6). There may not have been a historical Jesus. And Eden is between a group of rivers that do not connect and are not near each other.

What does that tell us?

The creation of the Earth was a process not a week-long event. It was done in stages, not 24-hour days.
Eden is is meant to represent the Earth before it became a material world, when humans were connected with God. Not a physical place.
Amos, Moses, and Jonah are made to represent certain teachings of the Torah. You may say "I lived in Ninevah and that never happened" but that is completely missing the point. I have only read some of the Qu'ran, but it seemed to be a literal words account, basically a combination of an autobiography of Muhammad's life and some of his sayings. So I'll forgive you that you don't appear to understand what a metaphor is. It is when the words on a page have a second level of meaning that has to be read for its message.
Amos is about a man who is a prophet called despite only being a herdsman, because it is telling us "you don't have to be an important person to be a prophet, only tell people the truth." Jonah is about those who are unwilling to prophesy, because it involves prophecy to one's enemies or to those we think are undeserving of the Kingdom of Heaven, this is telling us that God wants them to join his kingdom too. Not necessarily to become Jews or Christians or Muslims like us, but to understand what it is to know God nevertheless. Moses is about setting people free from slavery and oppression, not simply a story of Egypt.
And Jesus? The story of Jesus they cannot find much on historical record, they cannot agree on the events of his resurrection. Why the discrepancy? If Jesus is God incarnate, why would he live and die like a normal human? This is actually not the story of a human named Jesus at all. It is a story of how the face of God appears in humans. You ever met someone who you though "that looks like..." even though their role is completely different? This man appeared to these people, in different forms, and changed their life. He reminded them that "God is with us." And that God is willing to do anything to save us from ourselves.

The Platonic Cave is also a metaphor. You are not supposed to look for some cave Plato built. You are supposed to interpret this and understand what is being said here.

Also, I'm going to go write some roleplaying game stuff. Talk later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 11:03 AM

21,959 posts, read 22,109,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
That's great. I'm glad you think so. I'm sure Mormons are thrilled at having comparisons drawn between themselves and Muslims, but there are similarities. Also, read the link.
Actually, there are some similarities and those similarities, for the most part, are positive. I'd mention some of them except that it would take this thread off in a direction I'm sure you never intended it to go.

I read the link. It was stupid. It sounded exactly like the kind of nonsense I read on CARM -- exaggerations, half-truths, outright lies and an intentional twisting of both Islamic and LDS beliefs to make us both look bad.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:28 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,279,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Actually, there are some similarities and those similarities, for the most part, are positive. I'd mention some of them except that it would take this thread off in a direction I'm sure you never intended it to go.

I read the link. It was stupid. It sounded exactly like the kind of nonsense I read on CARM -- exaggerations, half-truths, outright lies and an intentional twisting of both Islamic and LDS beliefs to make us both look bad.

I do not know of any Muslims that get upset because we have some similarities. Like you said most of them are positive.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam