U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2016, 10:45 PM

3,440 posts, read 1,585,898 times

Advertisements

In my quest to understand the language of the Quran, I have downloaded the following books;

Learning Arabic Language Of The Quran.pdf
by Izzath Uroosa
https://archive.org/details/Learning...OfTheQuran.pdf

Learn the Language of the Quran
http://www.kalamullah.com/language-of-quran.html

Vocabulary of the Holy Qur'an
Dr Abdullah Abbas Nadwi

A Word for Word Meaning of The Quran (3 Volume Set)
http://www.kalamullah.com/word-for-w...-of-quran.html

Grammar, Syntax and Morphology of Each Word of the Holy Quran
The Quranic Arabic Corpus - Word by Word Grammar, Syntax and Morphology of the Holy Quran
Welcome to the Quranic Arabic Corpus, an annotated linguistic resource which shows the Arabic grammar, syntax and morphology for each word in the Holy Quran. Click on an Arabic word below to see details of the word's grammar, or to suggest a correction.

The contents of the above books appear to be very voluminous.
Looks like I will have to take much time to cover them.

Any other recommendations?
Views?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 02:24 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,294,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
In my quest to understand the language of the Quran, I have downloaded the following books;

Learning Arabic Language Of The Quran.pdf
by Izzath Uroosa
https://archive.org/details/Learning...OfTheQuran.pdf

Learn the Language of the Quran
http://www.kalamullah.com/language-of-quran.html

Vocabulary of the Holy Qur'an
Dr Abdullah Abbas Nadwi

A Word for Word Meaning of The Quran (3 Volume Set)
http://www.kalamullah.com/word-for-w...-of-quran.html

Grammar, Syntax and Morphology of Each Word of the Holy Quran
The Quranic Arabic Corpus - Word by Word Grammar, Syntax and Morphology of the Holy Quran
Welcome to the Quranic Arabic Corpus, an annotated linguistic resource which shows the Arabic grammar, syntax and morphology for each word in the Holy Quran. Click on an Arabic word below to see details of the word's grammar, or to suggest a correction.

The contents of the above books appear to be very voluminous.
Looks like I will have to take much time to cover them.

Any other recommendations?
Views?

I must express my admiration of your tenacity. You are taking on a very tedious and sometimes boring journey. But I am very pleased that you are taking steps to base your disagreements on what you your self have verified and not simply the words of others. There is a level of satisfaction in learning a language outside the Indo-European family of languages. May you find your difficult journey to be both enjoyable and of value.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 07-25-2016, 03:05 PM

2,050 posts, read 662,792 times
I think she does not deserve this attention because they are nomads language is not the language of science, civilization

Old 07-25-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I must express my admiration of your tenacity. You are taking on a very tedious and sometimes boring journey. But I am very pleased that you are taking steps to base your disagreements on what you your self have verified and not simply the words of others. There is a level of satisfaction in learning a language outside the Indo-European family of languages. May you find your difficult journey to be both enjoyable and of value.
Thanks.

Frankly I don't find it pleasant to read and understand the Quran at all.
But fortunately and unfortunately I have this embedded strong drive and habit to maintain intellectual integrity, be objective and to research to the very deepest levels of any subject or issues I put my attention to. So it is a battle for me in this dilemma of 'not wanting to' and 'MUST go' deep into it.

It is not enjoyable for me except be driven by the obligation to be objective, but I hope there will be some value some where for me.
In addition, I hope my dilemma will be contributive to SOME people in SOME ways.

If you have any tips regarding the language of the Quran, please advise.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks.

Frankly I don't find it pleasant to read and understand the Quran at all.
But fortunately and unfortunately I have this embedded strong drive and habit to maintain intellectual integrity, be objective and to research to the very deepest levels of any subject or issues I put my attention to. So it is a battle for me in this dilemma of 'not wanting to' and 'MUST go' deep into it.

It is not enjoyable for me except be driven by the obligation to be objective, but I hope there will be some value some where for me.
In addition, I hope my dilemma will be contributive to SOME people in SOME ways.

If you have any tips regarding the language of the Quran, please advise.
I am not certain as to what would e the best way to make your study easier. Except to begin with Juz 30 (Surah 78-114) That will give you rapic exposure to about 80% of the Vocabulary used in the Qur'an.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:39 PM

Quote:
I am not certain as to what would e the best way to make your study easier. Except to begin with Juz 30 (Surah 78-114) That will give you rapic exposure to about 80% of the Vocabulary used in the Qur'an.
I was referring to learning and understanding the Arabic, language, grammar, etc. of the Quran.

I have started with analyzing the Al-Fatiha in terms of grammar and language structure in depth. Maybe I'll will pick one or two more small chapters to go into details.

I am not going to go through all the chapters but if some one can point out the most tricky and complicated verses within the Quran, then that would be helpful and expedite the learning. If I can cover the toughest bits then the average ones would be easier to understand.

In any case I will slowly plough through the various books on grammar and language I have downloaded. I have downloaded many more since the above few.

From the few days experiences I note it is likely to be a very steep hill to climb even to get somewhere reasonable.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:13 AM

3,167 posts, read 1,040,005 times
My main thrust in understanding the Qur'an has been on understanding all the verses on the same issue. I look into grammar in the verses only if there is any difference in interpretation of any verse to see why the difference in some peoples' interpretation. Otherwise, looking at the grammar in the whole Qur'an would take you not only another 50+ readings but another 50+ years.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
I was referring to learning and understanding the Arabic, language, grammar, etc. of the Quran.

I have started with analyzing the Al-Fatiha in terms of grammar and language structure in depth. Maybe I'll will pick one or two more small chapters to go into details.

I am not going to go through all the chapters but if some one can point out the most tricky and complicated verses within the Quran, then that would be helpful and expedite the learning. If I can cover the toughest bits then the average ones would be easier to understand.

In any case I will slowly plough through the various books on grammar and language I have downloaded. I have downloaded many more since the above few.

From the few days experiences I note it is likely to be a very steep hill to climb even to get somewhere reasonable.
You have probably already noticed that the Grammar of the Qur'an differs from the Grammar of spoken Arabic.

Here is a site that may help you understand how different Qur'anic Arabic is from spoken Arabic. It might not help understand the differences but should help you understand there are differences.

Quranic Grammar

Old 07-26-2016, 09:09 PM

Quote:
You have probably already noticed that the Grammar of the Qur'an differs from the Grammar of spoken Arabic.

Here is a site that may help you understand how different Qur'anic Arabic is from spoken Arabic. It might not help understand the differences but should help you understand there are differences.

Quranic Grammar
Thanks. As usual I have already dug deeply and widely through the Internet, so I have noted that link earlier.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
My main thrust in understanding the Qur'an has been on understanding all the verses on the same issue. I look into grammar in the verses only if there is any difference in interpretation of any verse to see why the difference in some peoples' interpretation. Otherwise, looking at the grammar in the whole Qur'an would take you not only another 50+ readings but another 50+ years.
After putting so much effort I am confident I have a very reasonable understanding of the message of the Quran, which in terms of the subject of overall human spirituality [I have covered most] is kindergarten stuffs.

My strategic approach would be to cover and understand the most complicated grammatical situations existing within the Quran [not in the whole Arabic language] so that the rest will be easier to cover.

You have any examples/verses of the toughest and most complicated grammatic situations within the Quran so I can do research on them which will save me hunting for the examples?.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or