U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 09:24 PM

3,440 posts, read 1,590,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
There are marks on most letters that help a non-Arabic speaker to learn how to recite 1:1. These marks did not exist before Uthman copy.

Bismi Allahi alrrahmani alrraheemi is letter by letter transliteration from Arabic letters to English letters. It is not recited like that but Biss-milla-hirahmaa-nirraheem. al before lah, al before rahmaan and al before raheem is not noticeable in recitation just as r in English word "morning" is not really noticeable when saying "morning".

The proper way to recite the whole is by breaking it into 5 parts like a word is broken into syllables:

Biss-
mi (Al)la-
hi (al)rrahmaa-
ni (al)rraa
h
eem

Then recite it by connecting the letters in bold, and h recited as almost kh:

Biss
mi-la
hi-rrahma
ni-rra
h
eem

Now hear the recitation of 1:1 from any video and you will find it extremely close, if not perfect, to what I have described above.
Noted, so it appear there is a very minute pause between rRahmaa- and ni.
If that is the case, then it make some sense with what I have heard of the recitations.

Incorporating some of the above, these are the syllables I have written down [improvised from the net] re the Al-fatiha.

Biss-mi-laa-h-ir-Raa-h-maa-n ir-Raa-h-eem

Al-ham-du-lil-la-hi-r-Rab-bil `Ala-meen

Ar-Raa-h-maa-nir-Raa-h-eem

Maah-li-ki ya-oo mid-deen

E-yaa-ka-na’a-bu-du-wa-E-yaaka Nas-ta’een

Ih-di-na-s Si-raa-ta-al mus-ta-qeem

Si-raa-tal la-dhee-na- an-AAamta -a-lay-him
Ghay-ril maGh-dhoo-bi
a-lay-him wa-la-d Dhaa-------leen

Any corrections from your perspective to the above?

Last edited by Continuum; 07-26-2016 at 09:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 04:29 PM

3,167 posts, read 1,044,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
Noted, so it appear there is a very minute pause between rRahmaa- and ni.
If that is the case, then it make some sense with what I have heard of the recitations.

Incorporating some of the above, these are the syllables I have written down [improvised from the net] re the Al-fatiha.

Biss-mi-laa-h-ir-Raa-h-maa-n ir-Raa-h-eem

Al-ham-du-lil-la-hi-r-Rab-bil `Ala-meen

Ar-Raa-h-maa-nir-Raa-h-eem

Maah-li-ki ya-oo mid-deen

E-yaa-ka-na’a-bu-du-wa-E-yaaka Nas-ta’een

Ih-di-na-s Si-raa-ta-al mus-ta-qeem

Si-raa-tal la-dhee-na- an-AAamta -a-lay-him
Ghay-ril maGh-dhoo-bi
a-lay-him wa-la-d Dhaa-------leen

Any corrections from your perspective to the above?
Yes, extremely minute pause simply because ma has to recited as maa and n has to be linked to r in the next word without pause.

After 1:1, 1:2-4 (three verses) are recited together without any pause between the verses.

Biss milla hirrahmaa nirra heem

Al ham du lilahi Rabbil aala mee-naRRaah maa-niRRaheem-Maaliki yo-middee-n

I think this is the nearest I can get it in English letters.

I will try with the other verses tomorrow, inshaAllah.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Yes, extremely minute pause simply because ma has to recited as maa and n has to be linked to r in the next word without pause.

After 1:1, 1:2-4 (three verses) are recited together without any pause between the verses.

Biss milla hirrahmaa nirra heem

Al ham du lilahi Rabbil aala mee-naRRaah maa-niRRaheem-Maaliki yo-middee-n

I think this is the nearest I can get it in English letters.

I will try with the other verses tomorrow, inshaAllah.
Noted above.
If 2-4 is without pause, what about breathing and taking inhaling and exhaling.

I noted verse 7 verse is recited in one breath by some except the last bit and this is quite a task.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
Noted above.
If 2-4 is without pause, what about breathing and taking inhaling and exhaling.

I noted verse 7 verse is recited in one breath by some except the last bit and this is quite a task.
Breathing in between recitation is fine. It is the longer pause that is not needed in some cases and what is necessary is liking a letter of one word with the letter of the next word. That's where no pause is a must. Otherwise a slight pause between the words (just as in English reading) is fine. There are marks in Arabic Qur'an that indicate where no pause is a must and where a longer pause is fine. Otherwise it is normal reading.

[1:7] صِرَٰطَ ٱلَّذِينَ أَنْعَمْتَ عَلَيْهِمْ - غَيْرِ ٱلْمَغْضُوبِ عَلَيْهِم وَلَا ٱلضَّآلِّينَ can be recited in two parts with one very brief pause in between (say for breathing if you like), as indicated (I have no problem in reciting the whole in one go without taking a breath in between). This is so because the letter of one word is not connected to the letter of the word on the other side of the pause and it does not break what needs to be kept together in the message. For example "those blessed" are not the same as "those on whom is wrath and those who went astray". There can be a slight pause in between. Pause in between verses (where indicated) is longer than this pause.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:20 PM

[1:5]إِيَّاكَ نَعْبُدُ وَإِيَّاكَ نَسْتَعِينُ

iyyaaka na'budu wa iyyaaka nas-ta'een

Old 07-28-2016, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Breathing in between recitation is fine. It is the longer pause that is not needed in some cases and what is necessary is liking a letter of one word with the letter of the next word. That's where no pause is a must. Otherwise a slight pause between the words (just as in English reading) is fine. There are marks in Arabic Qur'an that indicate where no pause is a must and where a longer pause is fine. Otherwise it is normal reading.

[1:7] صِرَٰطَ ٱلَّذِينَ أَنْعَمْتَ عَلَيْهِمْ - غَيْرِ ٱلْمَغْضُوبِ عَلَيْهِم وَلَا ٱلضَّآلِّينَ can be recited in two parts with one very brief pause in between (say for breathing if you like), as indicated (I have no problem in reciting the whole in one go without taking a breath in between). This is so because the letter of one word is not connected to the letter of the word on the other side of the pause and it does not break what needs to be kept together in the message. For example "those blessed" are not the same as "those on whom is wrath and those who went astray". There can be a slight pause in between. Pause in between verses (where indicated) is longer than this pause.
Noted your points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam