U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-08-2016, 03:45 AM
 
Location: Not-a-Theist
3,440 posts, read 1,580,662 times
Reputation: 461

Advertisements

What is the Purpose of the Quran?

Discuss?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-08-2016, 05:29 AM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,272,269 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
What is the Purpose of the Quran?

Discuss?
The original purpose of the written Qur'an was to serve as a memory tool to assist the Hafiz. The written Qur'an is basically a secondary method to preserve the accuracy of the recitation.

The purpose of the recitation is to return people back to that which had already been revealed to them, but what they strayed from. There was no new religion formed. It is a warning and reason to return to what had already been revealed through the prior Prophets(PBUT)
__________________
When posting as a MOD my posts will be in red

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks


MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2016, 09:16 PM
 
Location: Not-a-Theist
3,440 posts, read 1,580,662 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
The original purpose of the written Qur'an was to serve as a memory tool to assist the Hafiz. The written Qur'an is basically a secondary method to preserve the accuracy of the recitation.

The purpose of the recitation is to return people back to that which had already been revealed to them, but what they strayed from. There was no new religion formed. It is a warning and reason to return to what had already been revealed through the prior Prophets(PBUT)
I deliberate included the term "discuss" and thus there should be many perspectives to 'what is the purpose' of the Quran.

From the perspective of recitation and memory, yes the Quran do serve as a memory tool in the manner it was organized. However I don't believe this perspective is critical to Islam.

As for the recitation of the verses of the Quran, I don't believe and recitation of any texts cannot be more important than the intended central message of the Quran. The point is recitations often invoke the emotional aspects of one's religiosity which is important in one way but it is not the most critical.
Note the Quran give high praise to the 'men of understanding' in many verses in comparison to its the recitation.

It is mentioned that understanding one verse of the Quran is many times more significant than reciting the verses [good sounds] without understanding it. [I have to find this verse?]

I repeat there are many perspectives to 'what is the purpose of the Quran' depending on various circumstances and in accordance to whose purpose, e.g. Allah's, the Muslim, different Muslims, etc.

Allah's central purpose of the Quran is to remind Muslims of their obligations [as intended by Allah] to worship Allah for whatever the reason. It is stated in the Quran, Allah created humans and jinns in order that they "MUST" worship Allah.
The Question is why must such an all powerful and Omni-whatever being need to be worshipped at all?
The reason is because this God was created by humans who has low self-esteem who yearned to be worshipped.

Muslims as human beings has their own purpose with reference to 'what is the Quran'.
I will not go into the detail at present while I await the views of others [if any].

There could be other purposes that can be opened for discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 12:33 AM
 
3,166 posts, read 1,035,813 times
Reputation: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
It is mentioned that understanding one verse of the Quran is many times more significant than reciting the verses [good sounds] without understanding it. [I have to find this verse?]
Now compare that point to your reading 60 times or reciting 60 times with understanding each verse just once, you will find that Khalif has been teaching you this for ages in this forum but you never believed him until now when YOU finally decided to believe him (inadvertently).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 01:37 AM
 
Location: Not-a-Theist
3,440 posts, read 1,580,662 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
Now compare that point to your reading 60 times or reciting 60 times with understanding each verse just once, you will find that Khalif has been teaching you this for ages in this forum but you never believed him until now when YOU finally decided to believe him (inadvertently).
Believe you? What nonsense are you talking?

Note I have read of that point [understanding more important than mere reading/recitation] and I have mentioned it some time ago in another post. The only thing is I cannot remember the verse reference [Chapter: No.]

I have read the Quran more than 60 times but that does not imply that I have not understood the intended message of the Quran within the Quran-box. So far I find there is nothing special nor mysterious with the message of the entire Quran's 6,236 verses which is very kindergarten in the perspective of the overall spirituality of humanity.

Btw, understanding is not just once but there must be a progressive improvements in one's understanding of the verse in its context with the paragraph, chapter and the whole of the Quran. It is normal for one's understanding to change progressively the more times one read the Quran, but >60 times is quite sufficient.
Reading the Quran 6-7 times at one go is not sufficient to give a 'matured' or 'ripen' understanding.

What is additional from my point of view is I am also interpreting the Quran's basic message within the human nature box and reality-box from research-based objective perspective without any subjective bias like what a believer MUST do. As a non-believer I don't have the fears to believe blindly what Allah state in the Quran.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 12:18 PM
 
3,166 posts, read 1,035,813 times
Reputation: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
Believe you? What nonsense are you talking?
Logical inference!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 12:26 PM
 
3,166 posts, read 1,035,813 times
Reputation: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
I deliberate included the term "discuss" and thus there should be many perspectives to 'what is the purpose' of the Quran.
The purpose of the Qur'an is explained in the Qur'an. Perhaps you read it too fast to understand it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
From the perspective of recitation and memory, yes the Quran do serve as a memory tool in the manner it was organized. However I don't believe this perspective is critical to Islam.
Quite critical, as the word "Qur'an" suggests; something that is recited (again and again).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
As for the recitation of the verses of the Quran, I don't believe and recitation of any texts cannot be more important than the intended central message of the Quran. The point is recitations often invoke the emotional aspects of one's religiosity which is important in one way but it is not the most critical.
If one does not recite it again and again or read again and again, how is one going to be reminded? The Qur'an is reminder (3:58), (6:90), (7:2), (7:63), (7:69), (11:120), (12:104), (15:9), (16:44), (20:99), (20:113), (20:124), (21:50), (29:51), (36:69), (38:87), (40:54), (43:44), (69:48), (73:19), (76:29), (81:27). Therefore, Woodrow LI is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
Note the Quran give high praise to the 'men of understanding' in many verses in comparison to its the recitation.
Even the "men of understanding" can forget sometimes. You have already told us that you have forgotten a verse. Recitation will remind you. That's how this Qur'an, the reminder, is guarded forever (15:9).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
It is mentioned that understanding one verse of the Quran is many times more significant than reciting the verses [good sounds] without understanding it. [I have to find this verse?]
No such verse! You must be thinking of 4:43 or this one:

[38.29] (It is) a Book We have revealed to you abounding in good that they may ponder over its verses, and that those endowed with understanding may be mindful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
I repeat there are many perspectives to 'what is the purpose of the Quran' depending on various circumstances and in accordance to whose purpose, e.g. Allah's, the Muslim, different Muslims, etc.
There is no other purpose of the Qur'an than the purpose stated in the Qur'an.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
Allah's central purpose of the Quran is to remind Muslims of their obligations [as intended by Allah] to worship Allah for whatever the reason. It is stated in the Quran, Allah created humans and jinns in order that they "MUST" worship Allah.
That's what is often said by many people. But that wasn't the real purpose of creation of man. Allah does not need man to worship Him. Becoming a "godly person", khalif of Allah on earth, Allah's vicegerent on earth, is the purpose of creation of man (2:30).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
The Question is why must such an all powerful and Omni-whatever being need to be worshipped at all?
That question is asked in ignorance. Allah does NOT need us to worship Him; we need to worship Him for own own benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
The reason is because this God was created by humans who has low self-esteem who yearned to be worshipped.
Judging by your question, your 60 readings of the Qur'an was a complete waste of time. You have learnt nothing about Allah's need.

[35.15] O mankind, you are those in need of Allah , while Allah is the Free of need, the Praiseworthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 10:16 PM
 
Location: Not-a-Theist
3,440 posts, read 1,580,662 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
The purpose of the Qur'an is explained in the Qur'an. Perhaps you read it too fast to understand it.

Quite critical, as the word "Qur'an" suggests; something that is recited (again and again).

If one does not recite it again and again or read again and again, how is one going to be reminded? The Qur'an is reminder (3:58), (6:90), (7:2), (7:63), (7:69), (11:120), (12:104), (15:9), (16:44), (20:99), (20:113), (20:124), (21:50), (29:51), (36:69), (38:87), (40:54), (43:44), (69:48), (73:19), (76:29), (81:27). Therefore, Woodrow LI is correct.
Note again, I mentioned the word 'discuss' not asking for any specific purpose of the Quran.
If you were to be so rigid and do not understand the concept of 'discuss' in any intellectual examination, you will surely fail and expose your intellectual credibility.

Quote:
Even the "men of understanding" can forget sometimes. You have already told us that you have forgotten a verse. Recitation will remind you. That's how this Qur'an, the reminder, is guarded forever (15:9).
One critical factor in one's ability to recall it the love, bias interest and fervor, for the subject matter, i.e. the Quran. I don't have any personal affiliation for the Quran that is why my recall on many verses are not strong. In addition I admit I don't have super memory power thus has to depend on the computer.

Quote:
No such verse! You must be thinking of 4:43 or this one:

[38.29] (It is) a Book We have revealed to you abounding in good that they may ponder over its verses, and that those endowed with understanding may be mindful.
Not those verses. The point was emphasized by Nouman Ali Khan in one of his video. I think it was in reference to prayer/recitation not reading the Quran intellectually and academically.

Quote:
There is no other purpose of the Qur'an than the purpose stated in the Qur'an.
The OP requested for a discussion. So just present your point and support it with your argument and let others agree or counter it.
Even for me in one sense there is a purpose of the Quran from my perspective, i.e. to trace the root causes of the terrible evils and violence committed by SOME evil prone Muslims.

Quote:
That's what is often said by many people. But that wasn't the real purpose of creation of man. Allah does not need man to worship Him. Becoming a "godly person", khalif of Allah on earth, Allah's vicegerent on earth, is the purpose of creation of man (2:30).

That question is asked in ignorance. Allah does NOT need us to worship Him; we need to worship Him for our own benefit.
You are trying to twist Allah's words. That is a sin. Note,
51:56 I created the jinn and humankind only that they might worship Me.
There are hundreds of verses that exhort Muslims to worship Allah because he is the "boss" of their life and decides whether they will go to Paradise or not.

Such verses reflect very low self-esteem of the author and that cannot be from a God but merely a human or a group of people.

Quote:
Judging by your question, your 60 readings of the Qur'an was a complete waste of time. You have learnt nothing about Allah's need.

[35.15] O mankind, you are those in need of Allah , while Allah is the Free of need, the Praiseworthy.
It is none of your business on how much I have learned of the Quran. Why should I bother about Allah's need in accordance to your bias views?
As far as I am concern I will do whatever is necessary for my intended purpose to trace the ultimate root causes of the terrible evils and violence committed by SOME evil prone Muslims.

Last edited by Continuum; 08-09-2016 at 10:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2016, 01:41 AM
 
Location: Not-a-Theist
3,440 posts, read 1,580,662 times
Reputation: 461
I did a search and found the following;

It is narrated by Hazrat Abu Zar (RA) that Holy Prophet (Peace and Blessings be upon Him) said him:
“O Abu Zar! It is better for you to learn a single verse of Holy Quran in the morning rather to pray hundreds of Rakaat (Nafal Prayer)”
(Ibn-e-Ma’ja, Volume 1, Hadith # 619)
I believe "a single verse" in this case is an exaggeration to emphasize the point that understanding the Quran is better than recitation/praying the verses without understanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2016, 01:34 AM
 
23 posts, read 8,659 times
Reputation: 10
Every book has its objective and the objective of the Quran is to make people aware of the Creation plan of God. That is, to tell man why God created this world; what the purpose is of settling man on earth; what is required from man in his pre-death life span, and what he is going to confront after death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top