U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2016, 11:37 PM

3,440 posts, read 1,585,301 times

Advertisements

Here is an interesting article on the emphasis and difference between Pickthall and Al-Hilali & Muhsin Khan English translations of the Quran. [comparing chapter Al-Ikhlaas ]

The English Qur'

It is fortunate I had used Pickthall's translation as my main copy [in addition to >45 other English translations] based on the positive & favorable comments on the Pickthall translation in the above article.

Quote:
Pickthall, being one of the early prominent translators, attempted to maintain the spirit of the Qur’an by rendering it close as possible to source language text (ST) through literal translation, and with minimum annotations.

In the translation of Al-Ikhlaas, Pickthall tried to preserve the same forms and wordings of the source language text (ST). The methodologies in turn lead to a more accurate rendering of the source language text (ST).

Since the Quranic words were deemed to be the literal words of God, Pickthall was faith-driven to make a verbatim translation, although, he stated that English translations, “can never take the place of the Qur’an in Arabic, nor is it meant to do so.”
Meanwhile

Quote:
Al-Hilali and Muhsin Khan: The aim of this was to reinforce and clarify the meaning of the source language text (ST), however, the clarification was opinion-orientated as the translation was founded upon orthodoxy scholarship.
The Question is even if Pickthall is 100% accurate in his translation, the final product may not be the exact Quran from 623AD as it has to depend on which Arabic Quran [note the 26 or more versions around the world] he relied upon to do his translation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 02:36 AM

3,167 posts, read 1,039,481 times
I have both in my home library.

If I have to choose one out of the two, I too would choose Pickthall. There is too much of hadith stuff includeed in the other one.

Asad's message of the Qur'an is best for non-Arabic speakers to learn about the message of the Qur'an but it is not translation only but the explanation/commentary mixed with translation. Therefore, it should not be taken as literal translation of each verse.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
I have both in my home library.

If I have to choose one out of the two, I too would choose Pickthall. There is too much of hadith stuff includeed in the other one.

Asad's message of the Qur'an is best for non-Arabic speakers to learn about the message of the Qur'an but it is not translation only but the explanation/commentary mixed with translation. Therefore, it should not be taken as literal translation of each verse.
If I am not mistaken the Al-Hilali & Muhsin Khan translation is given free [?] with the relevant language to every pilgrim who visited Mecca by the Saudi Government.

And worst, note verse 1:7 from the Al-Hilali & Muhsin Khan translation;
1:7. The Way of those on whom You have bestowed Your Grace, not (the way) of those who earned Your Anger (such as the Jews), nor of those who went astray (such as the Christians).
the above actually reflect the very true ethos of the Quran when take in the whole context. This is one basic reason why the Jews and Christians are targeted for slaughter wherever they are found. The real evidence for this is glaringly evident and undeniable.

Quote:
I do not agree with the above.

I would strongly recommend the Pickthall edition despite the old English to non-Arabic speakers. However the Quran must be rearranged to be read in the nearest estimated Chronological order. Then, for the more complicated verses one must compare the Pickthall's version to as many English translations as possible [for me it is more than 45++]. In addition one must give some consideration to the Arabic elements in some [not all] verses especially the controversial "awliyaa" and others.

Critically, the reader must aligned the Quran [as with all holy texts] with human nature and the whole of reality. Note your ignorance of what should refer to 'breasts of men,' 'balm' and many other terms in relation to reality.

Old 08-12-2016, 04:31 AM

3,167 posts, read 1,039,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
If I am not mistaken the Al-Hilali & Muhsin Khan translation is given free [?] with the relevant language to every pilgrim who visited Mecca by the Saudi Government.
I had one even before I went for pilgrimage several times.

Quote:
And worst, note verse 1:7 from the Al-Hilali & Muhsin Khan translation;
1:7. The Way of those on whom You have bestowed Your Grace, not (the way) of those who earned Your Anger (such as the Jews), nor of those who went astray (such as the Christians).
the above actually reflect the very true ethos of the Quran when take in the whole context. This is one basic reason why the Jews and Christians are targeted for slaughter wherever they are found. The real evidence for this is glaringly evident and undeniable.
Anything in the () is not part of the Qur'an and, therefore, not the ethos of the Qur'an.

Quote:
I would strongly recommend the Pickthall edition despite the old English to non-Arabic speakers.
Why if you think Al-Hilali & Khan translation present ethos of Qur'an? Clearly, you are not being honest here.

Quote:
However the Quran must be rearranged to be read in the nearest estimated Chronological order. Then, for the more complicated verses one must compare the Pickthall's version to as many English translations as possible [for me it is more than 45++]. In addition one must give some consideration to the Arabic elements in some [not all] verses especially the controversial "awliyaa" and others.
The Qur'an is arranged in the best way. It is for a purpose. It sorts out the serious student of the Qur'an from dishonest reader.

Quote:
Critically, the reader must aligned the Quran [as with all holy texts] with human nature and the whole of reality. Note your ignorance of what should refer to 'breasts of men,' 'balm' and many other terms in relation to reality.
It makes the honest believe in it and dishonest do the nit-picking only. This is how God drives the infidels astray and towards hell fire. Such infidels hang the heart everywhere as the symbol of love on valentine day but never hang their brains to express love. They leave the nit-picking for the Qur'an only. Pathetic!

Old 08-13-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
Anything in the () is not part of the Qur'an and, therefore, not the ethos of the Qur'an.
I did not every thing that is within () represent the ethos of the Quran.
I only mentioned it is the () in 1:7 of the Al-Hilali & Khan translation that represent the ethos [spirit] of the Quran from the overall context of the Quran. This is in alignment with the forceful condemnation and dehumanizing of the Jews and the Christians within the whole of the Quran.

Quote:
Why if you think Al-Hilali & Khan translation present ethos of Qur'an? Clearly, you are not being honest here.
Your thinking is very narrow here.
Note the above, it is the () in 1:7 of the Al-Hilali & Khan translation that is relevant.
I will suggest Pickthall from which one can grasp the ethos [& its evil elements] of the Quran in alignment with reality. I have also suggested reading the Pickthall with 45++ other translations especially the Al-Hilali & Khan translation.

Quote:
The Qur'an is arranged in the best way. It is for a purpose. It sorts out the serious student of the Qur'an from dishonest reader.
The conventional Quran is arranged with the ethos sword thrust forwards like the what is glaring in the Saudi Flag and other Islamic emblems. Chronologically the Quran end with the thrust of the sword and battle cries against non-Muslims.

Quote:
It makes the honest believe in it and dishonest do the nit-picking only. This is how God drives the infidels astray and towards hell fire. Such infidels hang the heart everywhere as the symbol of love on valentine day but never hang their brains to express love. They leave the nit-picking for the Qur'an only. Pathetic!
So you admit your God, Allah deliberately lead non-Muslims astray and torture them gleefully and orgasmically.

Those who use the term 'heart' to represent love are merely following very old traditions and most will admit in the olden days the people were ignorant of the knowledge of the brain. The fact is they do not claim such a point to be immutable thus will change their mind and thoughts when more are informed of the knowledge of the brain and love.

Quote:
Love Comes From Head, Not Heart
Like any young woman in love, Bianca Acevedo has exchanged valentine hearts with her fiance.

But the New York neuroscientist knows better. The source of love is in the head, not the heart.
Link
I suggest you educate yourself on the above and don't me mire and be covered in the mud of ignorance.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:18 PM

Note here is one point in the false knowledge of the breast of men.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixoIw5FjIIU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or