U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-21-2016, 11:52 PM
 
Location: Not-a-Theist
3,440 posts, read 1,614,449 times
Reputation: 461

Advertisements

I believe 24:55 represent the covenant and its elements.
in [] = mine.
24:55.[The Elements of the Covenant]
Allah hath promised such of you [Muslim] as believe and do good works
that He will surely make them [Muslims] to succeed (the present rulers) in the Earth even as He caused those [proto-Muslims] who were before them to succeed others);
and that He [Allah] will surely establish for them [Muslims] their religion [deenahumu] which He hath approved for them [Muslims],
and will give them [Muslims] in exchange safety [amnan أَمْنًا ا م ن security, peace] after their fear.
They [Muslims] serve Me [Allah].
They [Muslims] ascribe no thing as partner unto Me.
Those [infidels] who disbelieve henceforth, they [infidels] are the miscreants.
I am particular interested on the critical of the elements in
"and will give them [Muslims] in exchange safety [amnan أَمْنًا ا م ن security, peace] after their fear."
I believe this is the central purpose of a Muslim in adopting Islam and why it drive SOME evil prone Muslims to do what they think will please Allah.

Agree?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-21-2016, 11:57 PM
 
Location: Not-a-Theist
3,440 posts, read 1,614,449 times
Reputation: 461
I believe in understanding the above we should take into consideration the following word and its root
[amnan أَمْنًا ا م ن ]

Alif-Meem-Nun
become/feel safe/secure, state of security/safety, trust,
become quiet/tranquil in heart/mind,
become free of expectation of evil or free of an object of dislike/hatred,
promise/assurance of security/safety,
become trustful/faithful/confident,
to believe/acknowledge it,
manifestation of humility/submission.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2016, 02:49 AM
 
3,207 posts, read 1,068,084 times
Reputation: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
I believe 24:55 represent the covenant and its elements.
in [] = mine.
24:55.[The Elements of the Covenant]
Allah hath promised such of you [Muslim] as believe and do good works
that He will surely make them [Muslims] to succeed (the present rulers) in the Earth even as He caused those [proto-Muslims] who were before them to succeed others);
and that He [Allah] will surely establish for them [Muslims] their religion [deenahumu] which He hath approved for them [Muslims],
and will give them [Muslims] in exchange safety [amnan أَمْنًا ا م ن security, peace] after their fear.
They [Muslims] serve Me [Allah].
They [Muslims] ascribe no thing as partner unto Me.
Those [infidels] who disbelieve henceforth, they [infidels] are the miscreants.
I am particular interested on the critical of the elements in
"and will give them [Muslims] in exchange safety [amnan أَمْنًا ا م ن security, peace] after their fear."
I believe this is the central purpose of a Muslim in adopting Islam and why it drive SOME evil prone Muslims to do what they think will please Allah.

Agree?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
I believe in understanding the above we should take into consideration the following word and its root
[amnan أَمْنًا ا م ن ]

Alif-Meem-Nun
become/feel safe/secure, state of security/safety, trust,
become quiet/tranquil in heart/mind,
become free of expectation of evil or free of an object of dislike/hatred,
promise/assurance of security/safety,
become trustful/faithful/confident,
to believe/acknowledge it,
manifestation of humility/submission.
I can understand what you are thinking here. It is only one-sided view and not the whole picture because you have not studied the Qur'an as I have over the past many years.

In the Qur'an, peace, security, safety and being in safety (in amn) is not only about mental peace or peace in the heart, chest, bosom or whatever, but physical security and peace (amn) too. There are several references in the Qur'an to this physical security. A sanctuary is place of physical security (2:125).

You are thinking of only mental peace (amn) and tranquility.

The word ا م ن ( A M N ) means peace, security, safety and free of danger. The believers in Makkah were in fear and danger because of persecution from the infidels. They were promised security (amn) and the promise was fulfilled when they returned to their homes in Makkah after 10 years and in peace. The place has been place of security and place of safety and peace ever since then.

Therefore, it is not just about mental peace or the peace in the hereafter but the physical peace and security too [2:125], [3:154], [4:83], [15:82], [48:27]. Such "amn" ("peace") is often mentioned daily even today by the politicians.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2016, 03:49 AM
 
Location: Not-a-Theist
3,440 posts, read 1,614,449 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
I can understand what you are thinking here. It is only one-sided view and not the whole picture because you have not studied the Qur'an as I have over the past many years.

In the Qur'an, peace, security, safety and being in safety (in amn) is not only about mental peace or peace in the heart, chest, bosom or whatever, but physical security and peace (amn) too. There are several references in the Qur'an to this physical security. A sanctuary is place of physical security (2:125).

You are thinking of only mental peace (amn) and tranquility.

The word ا م ن ( A M N ) means peace, security, safety and free of danger. The believers in Makkah were in fear and danger because of persecution from the infidels. They were promised security (amn) and the promise was fulfilled when they returned to their homes in Makkah after 10 years and in peace. The place has been place of security and place of safety and peace ever since then.

Therefore, it is not just about mental peace or the peace in the hereafter but the physical peace and security too [2:125], [3:154], [4:83], [15:82], [48:27]. Such "amn" ("peace") is often mentioned daily even today by the politicians.
I am well aware of the two possibilities.

The point is the verses themselves do not present a context in terms of physical security.
Therefore if we infer from the elements of the covenant then it is not wrong to interpret that is mental peace from mental fears.

However I am aware of the various the references of [amn] to physical security and peace elsewhere because the context surrounding those verses are very clear.

As for 24:55 the "amn" could lean more to physical security in relation to fears in a setting of war if we impute the elements of war in verse 52, i.e. victorious and 53, "if thou [Muhammad] order them [Muslims] [go to war]" and the threat in v57 to disbelievers.

Either way 24:55 will end up influencing and motivating the evil prone Muslims thereupon their covenant with Allah, with an aggressive martial ethos to commit terrible evils on non-Muslims within certain conditions after having given such assurance of physical security by Allah.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2016, 04:03 AM
 
3,207 posts, read 1,068,084 times
Reputation: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
I am well aware of the two possibilities.

The point is the verses themselves do not present a context in terms of physical security.
Therefore if we infer from the elements of the covenant then it is not wrong to interpret that is mental peace from mental fears.

However I am aware of the various the references of [amn] to physical security and peace elsewhere because the context surrounding those verses are very clear.

As for 24:55 the "amn" could lean more to physical security in relation to fears in a setting of war if we impute the elements of war in verse 52, i.e. victorious and 53, "if thou [Muhammad] order them [Muslims] [go to war]" and the threat in v57 to disbelievers.

Either way 24:55 will end up influencing and motivating the evil prone Muslims thereupon their covenant with Allah, with an aggressive martial ethos to commit terrible evils on non-Muslims within certain conditions after having given such assurance of physical security by Allah.
Physical security is security from death. Evil prone are dying left right and center. They are not looking for physical security because they do not understand this verse if their actions are based on security mentioned in this verse.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2016, 12:37 AM
 
Location: Not-a-Theist
3,440 posts, read 1,614,449 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
Physical security is security from death. Evil prone are dying left right and center. They are not looking for physical security because they do not understand this verse if their actions are based on security mentioned in this verse.
There are two scenarios re security from death, i.e.

1. Security from premature death not due to the inevitable and worry of eternal life.
2. Security from natural inevitable death and worry of eternal life.

In the case of 1, 24:55 is applicable where Allah is assuring Muslims they will be secured and thus no fear from death in war with non-Muslims taking into account of the related verses in the context of war.
Note there are many verses where Allah assure those who worry of losing the war [& being killed] that Allah will help them by increasing their self-confidence and sending invisible armies to help them.
Note 24:55 do not promise them eternal life when they die natural or killed in war.

What I am trying to deliberate is, if we do not read too much into the context of war from the v52, v53, v57 then scenario 2 above is applicable.
In this case, 24:55 reflect the covenant between Allah and the Muslim and the central purpose for the Muslim is to remove the fear of eternal death and replace with a promise of eternal life in Paradise, and thus enable the Muslim to be mentally secure.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2016, 01:56 PM
 
3,207 posts, read 1,068,084 times
Reputation: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
There are two scenarios re security from death, i.e.

1. Security from premature death not due to the inevitable and worry of eternal life.
2. Security from natural inevitable death and worry of eternal life.

In the case of 1, 24:55 is applicable where Allah is assuring Muslims they will be secured and thus no fear from death in war with non-Muslims taking into account of the related verses in the context of war.
Note there are many verses where Allah assure those who worry of losing the war [& being killed] that Allah will help them by increasing their self-confidence and sending invisible armies to help them.
Note 24:55 do not promise them eternal life when they die natural or killed in war.

What I am trying to deliberate is, if we do not read too much into the context of war from the v52, v53, v57 then scenario 2 above is applicable.
In this case, 24:55 reflect the covenant between Allah and the Muslim and the central purpose for the Muslim is to remove the fear of eternal death and replace with a promise of eternal life in Paradise, and thus enable the Muslim to be mentally secure.
The promise of Allah in the verse 24:55, to those who believe and do good, is:

(a) Allah will establish them as His Vicegerents on earth as He did certain people before them based on their moral qualities.

(b) Their Deen (Islam) will be established.

(c) They will be secure (in peace) from fear that they had of Meccans.

All this became a reality after these prophecies in the Qur'an.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top