Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2016, 03:29 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,620,323 times

Advertisements

Here are some notes on Abdallāh ibn Masʿūd from wiki.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdull...f_the_Qur.27an
(note I am not claiming these note has the highest credibility)
The main point of these note are to highlight there are already differences in the Quran immediately after the death of Muhammad. See the points re Alleged criticism of the Qur'an below

Abdallāh ibn Masʿūd (Arabic: عبدالله بن مسعود‎‎; c.594-c.653) was a companion of the Islamic prophet Muhammad. He was also known by the kunya Abu Abdulrahman.[1]

He was an early convert to Islam, certainly before 616 and probably before 613.[12]

He worked as a personal servant, taking care of Muhammad’s bedding, toothbrush, sandals and travelling hygiene. “He used to screen him when he bathed and wake him when he slept and walk with him in a wild land.”

Muhammad recognised Abdullah as one of the four foremost experts on the Qur'an.

After the death of Muhammad, Abdullah ibn Masud became the eighth-most prominent transmitter of hadith with a total of 848 narrations.[39] Umar called him “a box full of knowledge”.

Alleged criticism of the Qur'an
Uthman produced a standardised version of the Qur'an in 652. He sent a copy to each province and ordered that all other Qur'anic materials “whether written in fragmentary manuscripts or whole copies,” must be burned.[53]

John Gilchrist in his book Jam' Al-Qur'an cites some reports that indicate the following:

That Abdullah was displeased by the finished product.

That he accused Uthman's scribes of adding three extra suras (1, 113 and 114) that had never been part of the original and of making many other small changes to the text.[54]

That he preached a sermon in which he informed the people of Kufa that Uthman’s standardised Quran was a "deceit": “And whoever deceives like this will bring his deceit on the Day of Resurrection … I like it better to read according to the recitation of him whom I love than that of Zayd ibn Thabit … If I knew anyone to be more conversant with Allah’s Book than I am, I would surely go to him if camels could carry me there.”

When Uthman’s agents came to Kufa to burn all the variants, Abdullah hid his copy from them.[55][56] He justified his own version of the recitation by reminding people: "I recited before AIlah's Messenger more than seventy suras of the Qur'an. His Companions know that I have a better understanding of Allah’s Book than they do; and if I were to know that someone had better understanding than I have, I would have gone to him." It was said that nobody could find fault with Abdullah’s version.[57]

When Uthman was called to account for his mismanagement as Caliph, one of the grievances against him was that he had destroyed variant readings of the Qur'an.[58] Much later, Abdullah ibn Masud's variant readings were discussed on equal terms with the Uthmanic text by al-Farra (d. 207/822).[59]

However, the vast majority of Muslim scholars never accepted these reports due to their weakness as well as many strong reports indicating the exact opposite to be true.

The Qur'an says in 15:87 "We have given thee seven of the oft-repeated (verses) and the great Qur'an." The seven often repeated verses refers to Al-fatihah, the first Surah of the Qur'an, which Abdullah Ibn Masud is alleged to have denied. However, quoting Ibn Jarir al-Tabari, Ibn adh-Dhurays, Ibn al-Munzar and Ibn Mardwiyah, as-Suyuti narrated the following: It is narrated from Abdullah Ibn Masud, regarding the word of Allah, ‘We have given you the seven oft-repeated verses;’ he said, “[It is] Fatihatu al-Kitab.”[60]

In another narration Abdullah ibn Masud was asked as to why he did not write al-Fatihah in his mushaf. He replied, ‘If I were to write it, I would write it before every surah.’ Abu Bakr al-Anbari explains this saying every raka’ah (in prayers) starts with al-Fatihah and then another surah is recited. It is as if Ibn Masud said, ‘I have dropped it for the sake of brevity and I have trusted its preservation by Muslims (collectively).’[61]

There are also narrations from Abdullah where he explicitly refers to surahs 113 and 114 as surahs, for example: “Excessively recite two surahs. Allah will make you reach higher ranks in the Hereafter because of them. They are al-Mu'awwidhatayn (i.e. al-Falaq and an-Nas/nos. 113 & 114)…”[62]

Also, four qira'at of the Qur'an (Qira'at of Hamzah, 'Aasim, Khalaf, Al-Kisa'i) have chains of transmission (isnad) going through Abdullah ibn Masud and they all include the above 3 surahs. These are mutawatir chains and thus Islamic scholars give precedence to them, disregarding much weaker chains that go against it as inauthentic.[63]

Due to the above, Islamic scholars rejected the notion of Abdullah ibn Masud rejecting surahs. An-Nawawi says “The Muslims have all agreed that al-Mu'awwidhatayn and al-Fatihah are part of the Qur’an and whoever denies this becomes a disbeliever and whatever is quoted from Ibn Masud in this regard is not true.”[64] Ibn Hazm[65] also rejected the notion of Ibn Masud denying these surahs along with the vast majority of Islamic scholars.

........ end from wiki
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 03:34 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,620,323 times
Here is an interesting article on Abdullah Masud;
Islam's Incorruptible Qur'an Is Corrupt, page 1

Although Ibn Mas’ud had a highly acclaimed reputation, he was not asked to participate in Uthman’s campaign to compile the Qur’an. When Uthman’s Authorized Qur’an was launched as the official standard, surprisingly, Ibn Mas’ud’s compilations of the Qur’an were also ordered to be burnt. Ibn Mas’ud strongly objected to the order:

'Abdullah (Ibn Mas'ud) reported that he (said to his companions to conceal their copies of the Qur'an) and further said: “He who conceals anything he shall have to bring that which he had concealed on the Day of Judgment,” and then said: “After whose mode of recitation you command me to recite? I in fact recited before Allah's Messenger (s.a.w.s.) more than seventy chapters of the Qur'an and the Companions of Allah's Messenger (s.a.w.s.) know it that I have better understanding of the Book of Allah (than they do), and if I were to know that someone had better understanding than I, I would have gone to him.”

Shaqiq said: I sat in the company of the Companions of Muhammad (s.a.w.s.) but I did not hear anyone having rejected that (that is, his recitation) or finding fault with it.”

[Sahih Muslim 6022]

Old 08-27-2016, 04:22 AM

3,639 posts, read 10,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
The main point of these note are to highlight there are already differences in the Quran immediately after the death of Muhammad.
It does not highlight differences in the Qur'an but highlights the meticulous way the Qur'an was compiled and preserved from the outset.

Old 08-27-2016, 01:13 PM

15,501 posts, read 16,970,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
Here are some notes on Abdallāh ibn Masʿūd from wiki.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdull...f_the_Qur.27an
(note I am not claiming these note has the highest credibility)
The main point of these note are to highlight there are already differences in the Quran immediately after the death of Muhammad. See the points re Alleged criticism of the Qur'an below

Abdallāh ibn Masʿūd (Arabic: عبدالله بن مسعود‎‎; c.594-c.653) was a companion of the Islamic prophet Muhammad. He was also known by the kunya Abu Abdulrahman.[1]

He was an early convert to Islam, certainly before 616 and probably before 613.[12]

He worked as a personal servant, taking care of Muhammad’s bedding, toothbrush, sandals and travelling hygiene. “He used to screen him when he bathed and wake him when he slept and walk with him in a wild land.”

Muhammad recognised Abdullah as one of the four foremost experts on the Qur'an.

After the death of Muhammad, Abdullah ibn Masud became the eighth-most prominent transmitter of hadith with a total of 848 narrations.[39] Umar called him “a box full of knowledge”.

Alleged criticism of the Qur'an
Uthman produced a standardised version of the Qur'an in 652. He sent a copy to each province and ordered that all other Qur'anic materials “whether written in fragmentary manuscripts or whole copies,” must be burned.[53]

John Gilchrist in his book Jam' Al-Qur'an cites some reports that indicate the following:

That Abdullah was displeased by the finished product.

That he accused Uthman's scribes of adding three extra suras (1, 113 and 114) that had never been part of the original and of making many other small changes to the text.[54]

That he preached a sermon in which he informed the people of Kufa that Uthman’s standardised Quran was a "deceit": “And whoever deceives like this will bring his deceit on the Day of Resurrection … I like it better to read according to the recitation of him whom I love than that of Zayd ibn Thabit … If I knew anyone to be more conversant with Allah’s Book than I am, I would surely go to him if camels could carry me there.”

When Uthman’s agents came to Kufa to burn all the variants, Abdullah hid his copy from them.[55][56] He justified his own version of the recitation by reminding people: "I recited before AIlah's Messenger more than seventy suras of the Qur'an. His Companions know that I have a better understanding of Allah’s Book than they do; and if I were to know that someone had better understanding than I have, I would have gone to him." It was said that nobody could find fault with Abdullah’s version.[57]

When Uthman was called to account for his mismanagement as Caliph, one of the grievances against him was that he had destroyed variant readings of the Qur'an.[58] Much later, Abdullah ibn Masud's variant readings were discussed on equal terms with the Uthmanic text by al-Farra (d. 207/822).[59]

However, the vast majority of Muslim scholars never accepted these reports due to their weakness as well as many strong reports indicating the exact opposite to be true.

The Qur'an says in 15:87 "We have given thee seven of the oft-repeated (verses) and the great Qur'an." The seven often repeated verses refers to Al-fatihah, the first Surah of the Qur'an, which Abdullah Ibn Masud is alleged to have denied. However, quoting Ibn Jarir al-Tabari, Ibn adh-Dhurays, Ibn al-Munzar and Ibn Mardwiyah, as-Suyuti narrated the following: It is narrated from Abdullah Ibn Masud, regarding the word of Allah, ‘We have given you the seven oft-repeated verses;’ he said, “[It is] Fatihatu al-Kitab.”[60]

In another narration Abdullah ibn Masud was asked as to why he did not write al-Fatihah in his mushaf. He replied, ‘If I were to write it, I would write it before every surah.’ Abu Bakr al-Anbari explains this saying every raka’ah (in prayers) starts with al-Fatihah and then another surah is recited. It is as if Ibn Masud said, ‘I have dropped it for the sake of brevity and I have trusted its preservation by Muslims (collectively).’[61]

There are also narrations from Abdullah where he explicitly refers to surahs 113 and 114 as surahs, for example: “Excessively recite two surahs. Allah will make you reach higher ranks in the Hereafter because of them. They are al-Mu'awwidhatayn (i.e. al-Falaq and an-Nas/nos. 113 & 114)…”[62]

Also, four qira'at of the Qur'an (Qira'at of Hamzah, 'Aasim, Khalaf, Al-Kisa'i) have chains of transmission (isnad) going through Abdullah ibn Masud and they all include the above 3 surahs. These are mutawatir chains and thus Islamic scholars give precedence to them, disregarding much weaker chains that go against it as inauthentic.[63]

Due to the above, Islamic scholars rejected the notion of Abdullah ibn Masud rejecting surahs. An-Nawawi says “The Muslims have all agreed that al-Mu'awwidhatayn and al-Fatihah are part of the Qur’an and whoever denies this becomes a disbeliever and whatever is quoted from Ibn Masud in this regard is not true.”[64] Ibn Hazm[65] also rejected the notion of Ibn Masud denying these surahs along with the vast majority of Islamic scholars.

........ end from wiki
Addressing this:

Quote:
The main point of these note are to highlight there are already differences in the Quran immediately after the death of Muhammad.
[/b] below
From your post:

Also, four qira'at of the Qur'an (Qira'at of Hamzah, 'Aasim, Khalaf, Al-Kisa'i) have chains of transmission (isnad) going through Abdullah ibn Masud and they all include the above 3 surahs. These are mutawatir chains and thus Islamic scholars give precedence to them, disregarding much weaker chains that go against it as inauthentic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam