U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 10:22 AM

21,962 posts, read 22,127,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrinematters View Post
Would Muslims use a Hindu temple to say their prayers?
How would I know? I'm not a Muslim? And so what if they did? Don't you believe God is powerful enough to hear any sincere prayer offered from any place at any time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 08:36 PM

56,107 posts, read 54,597,263 times
Woodrow--

How do you pronounce "masjid"?

Old 10-18-2016, 11:05 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,289,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Woodrow--

How do you pronounce "masjid"?
The closest I can come using English letters is Mos-geed (The Gee pronounced like a very long g like in the phrase Gee-Whiz)

Mosque probably came from a French pronunciation of Masjid.

Quote:
mosque (n.) Look up mosque at Dictionary.com
1717, earlier moseak (c. 1400), also mosquee (16c.), probably in part from Middle French mosquée, from Italian moschea, earlier moscheta, from Spanish mesquita (modern mezquita), from Arabic masjid "temple, place of worship," from sajada "he worshipped" + prefix ma- denoting "place." Mangled in Middle English as muskey, moseache, etc.

Online Etymology Dictionary
There is a mistaken concept it was a Spanish insult as it is very similar to the Spanish word for Mosquito. That story often makes the rounds, but has been disputed many times.

Quote:
The English term mosque is derived from the Spanish word for mosquito and came into use during the Christian invasion of Muslim Spain in the fifteenth century. The forces of King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella boasted they would swat out Muslim prayer houses like mosquitoes. Understandably, many Muslims prefer not to use this unfortunate name amongst themselves.

https://muslimspeak.wordpress.com/20...e-word-mosque/

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 10-19-2016, 12:58 PM

10,540 posts, read 15,612,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrinematters View Post
(

Why are Muslims associating with polytheists on a religious level? Joseph Smith the Mormon "prophet" taught there were many gods and that men become gods. He taught that gods had to learn to be gods. That is paganism!

The Psalms f“There is none like you among the gods, O Lord”
"Our Lord is above all gods” (135:5); “Ascribe to Yahweh, [you] gods, ascribe to Yahweh glory and strength” (29:1, my trans.); “He is exalted above all gods” (97:7); “For Yahweh is a great god, and a great king above all gods” (95:3)

“Yahweh executed judgments against their gods” (33:4). Numbers.
“You shall have no other gods before me” (Exod. 20:3; see also Deut. 5:7)
Psalm 82
[Yahweh] has taken his place in the divine council,
In the midst of the gods he passes judgment. . . .

Don't be silly....

Old 10-19-2016, 01:01 PM

10,540 posts, read 15,612,109 times
It does not matter where a person prays. God is everywhere and everything. Where you are right now - god is there. Thjis church or that shrine or that temple over there - god is everywhere. A Jew can go to a mosque and pray there to YHWH and so can do muslim - go to synagogue.
Honest prayer will reach god anywhere and for god, there is no difference between religions. It is all his creation.

Old 10-19-2016, 02:23 PM

4,419 posts, read 1,647,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
The closest I can come using English letters is Mos-geed (The Gee pronounced like a very long g like in the phrase Gee-Whiz)

I think another way to pronounce is that

'Mas' makes the sound as in the first syllable of the world "Muscle" and "jid" makes the sound of last syllable of the word "rigid" ... so perhaps "Musgid" ... even though it's a soft 'd' sound that is not spoken in English.

Old 10-19-2016, 03:12 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,289,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post

'Mas' makes the sound as in the first syllable of the world "Muscle" and "jid" makes the sound of last syllable of the word "rigid" ... so perhaps "Musgid" ... even though it's a soft 'd' sound that is not spoken in English.
That might be closer than mine.

I find it difficult to get the pronunciation right using the English Alphabet. But you are correct the end d sound is best left off

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 10-20-2016, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post

There is a mistaken concept it was a Spanish insult as it is very similar to the Spanish word for Mosquito. That story often makes the rounds, but has been disputed many times.
Thank you.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post

Oh, interesting. I'll ask my dd about the soft d sound. She does not speak Arabic, but she has a degree in linguistics and has studied different language sounds not found in English.

My IT guy at work is Syrian, so I can ask him, too. He is Jewish, but I'm pretty sure he'd know how to say masjid.

The one near where I work is called Darul Jannah Masjid, so of course in my head I'm hearing "Darryl Hannah".

Old 10-20-2016, 10:07 AM

32,427 posts, read 17,768,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
It does not matter where a person prays. God is everywhere and everything. Where you are right now - god is there. Thjis church or that shrine or that temple over there - god is everywhere. A Jew can go to a mosque and pray there to YHWH and so can do muslim - go to synagogue.
Honest prayer will reach god anywhere and for god, there is no difference between religions. It is all his creation.
Yes!! I agree.

And the idea of someone (anyone) praying is a good thing, right? Sad that someone has to take issue with anything and everything nowadays.

I don't care where anyone prays, since I do most of my praying sitting alone outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or