U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-20-2016, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,274,304 times
Reputation: 7407

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Oh, interesting. I'll ask my dd about the soft d sound. She does not speak Arabic, but she has a degree in linguistics and has studied different language sounds not found in English.

My IT guy at work is Syrian, so I can ask him, too. He is Jewish, but I'm pretty sure he'd know how to say masjid.

The one near where I work is called Darul Jannah Masjid, so of course in my head I'm hearing "Darryl Hannah".
Now you can impress your Muslim Friends Darul Jannah Masjid, = Dar ool Jan-ah Musgee = House of Heaven Mosque
__________________
When posting as a MOD my posts will be in red

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks


MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-20-2016, 02:11 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,004 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Reputation: 66349
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Yes!! I agree.

And the idea of someone (anyone) praying is a good thing, right? Sad that someone has to take issue with anything and everything nowadays.

I don't care where anyone prays, since I do most of my praying sitting alone outside.
The best "house of prayer" there is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2016, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,004 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Reputation: 66349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Now you can impress your Muslim Friends Darul Jannah Masjid, = Dar ool Jan-ah Musgee = House of Heaven Mosque
Thank you!

I work in an Orthodox Jewish neighborhood adjacent to a Bengali Muslim neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2016, 04:32 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,274,304 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thank you!

I work in an Orthodox Jewish neighborhood adjacent to a Bengali Muslim neighborhood.
and I thought we were diverse when I lived in Austin. The closest Masjid to me was located next to a Baptist Church on the other side of it was a Buddhist Temple and a short distance past that was a Hindu Temple. The community I lived in was nearly half Muslim and Half Jewish.
__________________
When posting as a MOD my posts will be in red

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks


MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2016, 01:39 AM
 
4,409 posts, read 1,639,451 times
Reputation: 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Oh, interesting. I'll ask my dd about the soft d sound. She does not speak Arabic, but she has a degree in linguistics and has studied different language sounds not found in English.

My IT guy at work is Syrian, so I can ask him, too. He is Jewish, but I'm pretty sure he'd know how to say masjid.

The one near where I work is called Darul Jannah Masjid, so of course in my head I'm hearing "Darryl Hannah".
Soft d makes the sound as in the starting sound of letters "th" in the word "The" or as in - mo"th"er - fa"th"er

An interesting little challenge for u is to try to make this soft d sound at the end of the word as in English language, the letters "th" make a different sound when placed at the end of a word, like "teeth"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,004 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Reputation: 66349
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Soft d makes the sound as in the starting sound of letters "th" in the word "The" or as in - mo"th"er - fa"th"er

An interesting little challenge for u is to try to make this soft d sound at the end of the word as in English language, the letters "th" make a different sound when placed at the end of a word, like "teeth"
I will practice that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,004 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Reputation: 66349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
and I thought we were diverse when I lived in Austin. The closest Masjid to me was located next to a Baptist Church on the other side of it was a Buddhist Temple and a short distance past that was a Hindu Temple. The community I lived in was nearly half Muslim and Half Jewish.
It's Brooklyn. As one of the Jewish posters said, sometimes it seems as if you need a passport to move through Brooklyn.

It's a Chasidic neighborhood, and many of the children do not learn English until they are older. My own boss did not learn English until he was 18 and speaks with an accent even though he was born in New York. A lot of the signs on the buildings are in Hebrew or Yiddish or both, but then when you go a few blocks away, as I did recently to go to the post office, the neighborhood changes. The people from Bangladesh are in the most beautiful colorful clothing, and all the signs are in Bengali. I took a photo there and sent it to my dd, who has a degree in linguistics and asked if she could tell what it was. She said, "Hmmm, some derivative of Sanskrit", which was correct.

I have to say, while the Jews I pass on the street will often ignore me/pretend I don't exist--and that is not a putdown, I know it is their way, particularly the younger ones who have had little exposure to goyim--the Bengali immigrants smiled and sometimes said hello as I passed them in their neighborhood.

It's America! I enjoy the differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2016, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,955 posts, read 22,099,030 times
Reputation: 10687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have to say, while the Jews I pass on the street will often ignore me/pretend I don't exist--and that is not a putdown, I know it is their way, particularly the younger ones who have had little exposure to goyim--the Bengali immigrants smiled and sometimes said hello as I passed them in their neighborhood.
I'm not trying to start a flame war here, but when my husband and I visited Jerusalem a few years back, the Muslims were so friendly and the Jews so standoffish. We just couldn't get over it! Are you saying it's "just their way"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2016, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Pikeville, Ky.
13,570 posts, read 21,712,120 times
Reputation: 18110
This thread is NOT about Mormon theology..Read the op again and respond to that, please
__________________
Moderator of:
Non Romantic Relationships
Parenting and sub forums
Dayton, Akron-Canton in Ohio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top