U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 02:45 PM

1,694 posts, read 1,494,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I do not comprehend how any Muslim could consider any passage inferior or superior. The basic message of the Qur'an is very simple.

Sadly many Muslims do not read the Qur'an. I find that typical of the recruits to ISIS.

The Qur'an is actually quite simple it has one basic message that message being: "There is only one God, he has no partners, equals or progeny only he is to be prayed to and worshiped" Nearly all of the Qur'an is examples of those who did or did not do such and the results they had.

Surah 1 al-Fatiha is considered to be a summation of the entire Qur'an, If you understand al-Fatiha you understand the entire Qur'an in that sense you could consider it to be the most important as it contains the entire message of the Qur'an. also all Muslims are to read Surah 1 first everytime they open the Qur'an. If a Muslim reads no other surah they should read surah 1 (al-Fatiha)

Al-Fatiha (The Opening)

In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful. - 1:1(Picktall)

Praise be to Allah, Lord of the Worlds, - 1:2 (Picktall)

The Beneficent, the Merciful: - 1:3 (Picktall)

Owner of the Day of Judgment, - 1:4 (Picktall)

Thee we worship; Thee alone we ask for help. - 1:5(Picktall)

Show us the straight path, - 1:6 (Picktall)

The path of those whom Thou hast favored; Not of those who earn Thine anger nor of those who go astray. - 1:7(Picktall)

Should also mention. There is no obligation for any Muslim to read the Qur'an. While there are rewards and blessings if a person does so, there is no punishment for not reading it. As most Muslims do not read or speak Arabic, I suspect most have never read the Qur'an and have only read translations.
Well, with all due respect, it is common and maybe the general rule that individuals are going to look at a book and probably not gauge the various parts with equal concern. How about if I ask a Muslim as to what passages he finds most moving or inspiring. I'll bet the answer would be something specific. Also, it would be common that no two people could look at the same passages of the Quran, or the Bible, and discern the same message. Finally, the "no obligation to read the Quran" is really kind of a hollow thing what with one benefiting for reading it. To shift gears a bit; if a person believes he is doing right by god for some act (in this case, reading the Quran) then it is not uncommon for that person to believe he has reached a higher level of morality than the person who did not perform the alleged beneficial act. It would depend on the level of passion of the believer. This is true with the obedience to any doctrine that prescribes behavior for its followers. Thoughts can have consequences, often negative consequences, especially fervent, passionate thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 06:16 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,286,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Well, with all due respect, it is common and maybe the general rule that individuals are going to look at a book and probably not gauge the various parts with equal concern. How about if I ask a Muslim as to what passages he finds most moving or inspiring. I'll bet the answer would be something specific. Also, it would be common that no two people could look at the same passages of the Quran, or the Bible, and discern the same message. Finally, the "no obligation to read the Quran" is really kind of a hollow thing what with one benefiting for reading it. To shift gears a bit; if a person believes he is doing right by god for some act (in this case, reading the Quran) then it is not uncommon for that person to believe he has reached a higher level of morality than the person who did not perform the alleged beneficial act. It would depend on the level of passion of the believer. This is true with the obedience to any doctrine that prescribes behavior for its followers. Thoughts can have consequences, often negative consequences, especially fervent, passionate thoughts.

It is true most of us do have our favorite and least favorite Surat. My Favorite 3 are Surah 1 al-Fatiha, Surah 109 Kafirun and Surah 112 al-Ikhlas probably because I found them to be the easiest to memorize. I also find Surah 36 Ya-Sin to be quite profound, but difficult to understand.

My least favorite are Surat 2, 5 and 9. These are based upon my difficulty in comprehending the longer Surat.

The Surah every Muslim will hear the most often is al-Fatiha as it is recited at the start of each Rakkat in each of the 5 daily obligatory prayers. The other recitations will be of the Imam's choice. The requirement being a minimum of 9 consecutive lines be recited or the entirety of one of the short Surat (Surat 67 through 114) many Imams will simply recite al-Ikhlas (112) for each recitation. al Ikhlas is also the most popular to be rendered into a Calligraphic wall hanging. Many Muslims will have it hung in their homes. It has also become popular as a hanging from car mirrors although many of us consider that to be bidah (innovation) and should not be done.

A typical al-Ikhlas wall hanging below. This is written in the Kufic script, my favorite form of Arabic Writing. Thuluth script looks quite different.
Attached Thumbnails
Questions About the Quran Challenge-al-ikhlas.jpg  

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 10-29-2016, 01:06 AM

2,050 posts, read 662,085 times
I consider Al-Fatihah forms of incitement

Because they hated Jews and Christians astray
Why is this slander Jews and Christians
Why this hatred in the teachings of the Koran

[SIZE=6]سْمِ اللَّهِ الرَّحْمَنِ الرَّحِيمِ (1) الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ رَبِّ الْعَالَمِينَ (2) الرَّحْمَنِ الرَّحِيمِ (3) مَالِكِ يَوْمِ الدِّينِ (4) إِيَّاكَ نَعْبُدُ وَإِيَّاكَ نَسْتَعِينُ (5) اهْدِنَا الصِّرَاطَ الْمُسْتَقِيمَ (6) صِرَاطَ الَّذِينَ

أَنْعَمْتَ عَلَيْهِمْ غَيْرِ الْمَغْضُوبِ[/SIZE]
[SIZE=6] عَلَيْهِمْ وَلَا الضَّالِّينَ (7)[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or