U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 05:23 AM

15,511 posts, read 13,276,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Interesting that you mention that Mosques are not holy. In Spain, many Moslems are demanding a right to pray in a former mosque, now church, in Granada. They said it is a sacred place. I understand that the Mosque in Jerusalem is of some tertiary importance because it is the Mosque from where Mohammed ascended into the sky on al-buraq (flying horse).

Can you please make a recommendation regarding a gay welcoming congregation for my friend? It can even be in Canada since there may not be one in the US. They desperately want to be accepted by their community. He hates people quoting the "people of Lut" stuff and says it is not true. I don't know what to tell them.
Although I am Muslim, I have very little contact with other Muslims. Being disabled, Elderly and living in a very rural area 100 miles from the nearest Mosque.

As there is no membership required in Islam, what you refer to as Congregation is typically local neighborhood Mosques. Mosques are not built by or under the authority any central agency. Nor is there any Central Agency that trains and places Imams. No central authority orders the construction of a Mosque or approves or disapproves the building of one. It is not a franchise type deal more like a local "Mom & Pop" shop. It is not uncommon for a Mosque to be built and maintained by a single person or family. Many small Mosques such as the Mosque in Ross North Dakota was built by, and used by a single family. There are about 8 surviving members of the Family that still hold Salat in it.

Come to think of it Even when I was still more capable of getting around and living in Austin, TX the Mosque I attended most often was a spare room in a neighbor's house. In the USA while there are about 500 large Mosques the Majority of the approximately 2300 Mosques are simply a single room in somebody's house with about 5 or 6 people attending Salat and the oldest person present being the Imam. The majority of American Muslims probably have never been inside a building specifically constructed to be a Mosque

About the Only Muslims, in the USA, I know of that have anything that resembles Organization and Membership are the NOI. Which do not seem to perform Islam as they believe Louis Farrakhan to be a Prophet and they have a structured, ordained hierarchy of clergy. They are the ones with the massive prison ministry and the only Muslims many Americans are aware of.

From personal observation the vast majority of Muslims I personally know, do not attend any Mosque and simply say Salat wherever they happen to be. Such is life in the Sparsely populated High Plains region of The USA. (Recently Moved from North Dakota to Minnesota, but still on the High Plains, although the Easternmost edge)

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 10-31-2016, 05:50 AM

Quote:
A friend of mine here in Southern California is both gay and Sunni Moslem. He wants to marry his Shiite same-sex partner and have what he refers to as a "nikah" covenant marriage. I want to attend his marriage. He explained that he is unable to find a Qadi and Imam to officiate his ceremony (and provide him a contract). This seemed like discrimination to me and I was appalled that this is the case. Surely someone here can inform me on where I should direct him.
I just notice something I failed to address. That being the Qadi. There are no Qadi in the US nor any Nation that does not have an Islamic Government. A Qadi is an Islamic Judge appointed by the local government.

Also no one "provides" any one with a "contract" that is individually written by the Bride and Groom, it is not a pre-printed form to be filled out. Just doing a Google Search one can find what they should put in their contract.

BTW many states do not consider an Islamic Marriage to be a valid marriage, some states actually outlaw them as they are Sharia.

As for Imams any Adult Male can be considered to be an Imam. (Exception, in China there are more Female Imams as Chinese Males seem to avoid being Imams although in Islam every Male has an obligation to serve as an Imam)

Old 10-31-2016, 04:50 PM

1,666 posts, read 769,127 times
Quote:
A friend of mine here in Southern California is both gay and Sunni Moslem. He wants to marry his Shiite same-sex partner and have what he refers to as a "nikah" covenant marriage. I want to attend his marriage. He explained that he is unable to find a Qadi and Imam to officiate his ceremony (and provide him a contract). This seemed like discrimination to me and I was appalled that this is the case. Surely someone here can inform me on where I should direct him.
It's an invalid contract according to Islam. It's akin to contracting to murder someone, or contracting to sell drugs...not upheld according to the law.

Your friend just doesn't understand the Quran or Islam. The prohibition on practicing homosexuality is a Quranic injunction that is abundantly clear, there is no room for interpretation or liberalism/conservatism on this issue. He is just wrong.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:33 PM

4,411 posts, read 1,640,943 times
Quote:
Your friend wants to milk an Ox.
He can try as much he wishes, Oxen don't produce milk.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Your friend wants to milk an Ox.
He can try as much he wishes, Oxen don't produce milk.
Good analogy

By definition the Nikkah is between male and female any other arraingment is not going to be a nikkah.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:56 PM

9,809 posts, read 7,701,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
It's an invalid contract according to Islam. It's akin to contracting to murder someone, or contracting to sell drugs...not upheld according to the law.

Your friend just doesn't understand the Quran or Islam. The prohibition on practicing homosexuality is a Quranic injunction that is abundantly clear, there is no room for interpretation or liberalism/conservatism on this issue. He is just wrong.
Woodrow said that Islam can be interpreted by anyone who is a Moslem. It seems there is a gay Imam in DC.

Meet America?s First Openly Gay Imam | Al Jazeera America

Old 11-13-2016, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Woodrow said that Islam can be interpreted by anyone who is a Moslem. It seems there is a gay Imam in DC.

While it is the responsibility of each Muslim to verify all things they believe. There is also the general consensus of the Ulemmah which needs to be taken into consideration.

Being Homosexual is generally not considered a sin as that usually is not a matter of choice. However any sexual act between people who do not have a valid Nikkah is forbidden.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:20 AM

1,666 posts, read 769,127 times
Quote:

Again, there's no room for interpretation on this issue.

Woodrow is speaking to having a personal relationship with Allah (swt) and seeking for truth, knowledge and answers on one's own. If someone does this in relation to this issue, they will find it abundantly clear that there is no such thing as homosexual marriage in Islam.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
Again, there's no room for interpretation on this issue.

Woodrow is speaking to having a personal relationship with Allah (swt) and seeking for truth, knowledge and answers on one's own. If someone does this in relation to this issue, they will find it abundantly clear that there is no such thing as homosexual marriage in Islam.
Correct

Old 11-13-2016, 10:14 AM

10,525 posts, read 15,580,641 times
I had most entertaining two pages of posts.
Thank you, Woodrow.
OP, your "friend" is not a Muslim. A Muslim is a person that follows all the canons of that religion with full faith and dedication.
So will be a Christian, or a Sikh, or any other religious person wholeheartedly and honestly accepting such a religion.
Person you are discussing is a hypocrite. Claims to be of a specific religion, faith, while clearly going against its principles.
Then, that person is employing a justifier mind, to pretend that claimed faith is "ok" with hypocrisy.
It is not. This been clearly explained. Not even sure, why this keeps rolling, there is no point in continuation.
Of course there will be rogue "priests" or otherwise clarical types, that will do anything for profit or for whatever personal reasons they have.
But this does not change one basic principle. There is no homosexual marriage in Islam. Period, end of sentence, the rest is justifications of a sin, if not worse.
As a my personal advice, person you are discussing should follow the only voice that is worth following. The Voice of Conscience. That voice is neither Sunni, or Shiite, or Christian, or Buddhist or whatever. It the voice of rightness and reason. I can clearly see that your "friend" is hearing that voice, otherwise, there would have been no reason to justify intentions discussed. Righteous acts come easy and natural. Non-rightous - well, look at the two pages of attempts to justify what is not right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or