U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 02:30 AM

3,440 posts, read 1,581,295 times

Advertisements

The term Jihad جهاد is from the roots Jiim-ha-Dal or J H D.

As with any word, the term 'jihad' has its family of grammatical terms representing various parts of a sentence, example;
verb III imperfect (yujahidu) —to struggle

verb III imperative (jahid)—struggle

verb III verbal noun (jihad)—struggling

verb III active participle (mujahid)— one who struggles

JAHADA—verb I perfect—to be earnest
verb I verbal noun (jahd)—most earnest

JUHD—masculine noun—striving

The general meaning of the term jihad is covered within the following range of meanings;
-To strive or labour or toil, exert oneself or his power or efforts,
-employ oneself vigorously or diligently or studiously,
-take extra pains,
-put oneself to trouble or fatigue,
-examine someone or something,
-to burden or weaken or fatigue beyond one's power, churn and extract from a thing,
-very eagerly desire or long for something,
-lay upon or compress,
-become manifest, to fight for a cause,
-be in a state of extreme difficulty or trouble,
-meditate upon something,
-to overload (such as a camel or cattle),
-strive after,
-struggle against difficulties.

"Jihad" is related "to strive or labour or toil, exert oneself or his power or efforts," and these words can be applied to many things.
Thus to understanding the meaning of the term 'jihad' [or it various grammatical forms] within the Quranic Language Only [not English or MSA] one will have to take into account the context surrounding the verses, chapter and the whole Quran.
Note instead of stating 'jihad' [or it various grammatical forms], I will use 'jihad' in general.

To get an idea of how the term 'jihad' is used in the Quranic language, we need to analyze all the verses that contain the term 'jihad' in the Quran.

Here are the list of verses where the terms 'jihad' are used in its various grammatical form together with the relevant context.
For each verse, I have provided the number, a short part of it, the grammar form, the various contexts
[Pls advise if any other verses are not included here]

Hijrah
2:218 those who emigrated and struggled in the way [sabil]; Jahada V.III; Strive; Hijrah; Sabil; ; ; ;
8:72 struggled with their wealth and their lives in; Jahada V.III; Strive; Hijrah; Sabil; ; ; Spend;
8:74 who believed and emigrated and struggled in; Jahada V.III; strive; Hijrah; Sabil; ; ; Supported; Sheltered
8:75 afterwards, and emigrated and struggled; Jahada V.III; strive; Hijrah; Sabil; ; ; ;
9:20 believed and emigrated and struggled in the; Jahada V.III; strive; Hijrah; Sabil; Money; Lives; ;
16:110 persecuted and, again, struggled and endured; Jahada V.III; strive; Hijrah; ; ; ; patience;

Sabil – Way of Allah
9:20 believed and emigrated and struggled in the; Jahada V.III; strive; Hijrah; Sabil; Money; Lives; ;
49:15 they were not in doubt and they struggled with; Jahada V.III; strive; ; Sabil; Money; Lives; ;
2:218 those who emigrated and struggled in the way [sabil]; Jahada V.III; Strive; Hijrah; Sabil; ; ; ;
8:72 struggled with their wealth and their lives in; Jahada V.III; Strive; Hijrah; Sabil; ; ; Spend;
8:74 who believed and emigrated and struggled in; Jahada V.III; strive; Hijrah; Sabil; ; ; Supported; Sheltered
8:75 afterwards, and emigrated and struggled; Jahada V.III; strive; Hijrah; Sabil; ; ; ;
9:19 in God and the Last Day and struggled in the; Jahada V.III; Strive; ; Sabil; ; ; ;
29:69 who struggled for Us, We will truly guide them; Jahada V.III; strive; ; Sabil; ; ; ;
5:54 They struggle in the way of God and they fear ; Yujihidu; strive; ; Sabil; ; ; No fear;
5:35 look for an approach to Him and struggle in; Jahid; strive; ; Sabil; ; ; ;
22:78 And struggle for God in a true struggling. He; Jahid; strive; ; Sabil; ; ; ;
9:24 than God and His Messenger and struggling in; Jihad; strive; ; Sabil; ; ; ;
22:78 And struggle for God in a true struggling. He; Jihad; strive; ; Sabil; ; ; ;
60:1 If you had been going forth struggling in My; Jihad; strive; ; Sabil; ; ; ;

Money and Lives
9:81 of God and they disliked struggling with their; Yujihidu; Not strive; ; ; Money; Lives; ; Infidel
49:15 they were not in doubt and they struggled with; Jahada V.III; strive; ; Sabil; Money; Lives; ;
9:88 with him struggled with their wealth and their; Jahada V.III; strive; ; ; Money; Lives; ;
9:44 they struggle with their wealth and their lives.; Yujihidu; strive; ; ; Money; Lives; ;
61:11 in God and His Messenger and struggle in the; Yujihidu; strive; ; ; Money; Lives; ;
9:41 Move forward light and heavy, and struggle; Jahid; strive; ; ; Money; Lives; ;
4:95 the ones who struggle in the way of God with; Mujahid; strive; ; ; Money; Lives; ;
4:95 God gave advantage to the ones who struggle; Mujahid; strive; ; ; Money; Lives; ;
4:95 God gave advantage to the ones who struggle; Mujahid; strive; ; ; Money; Lives; ;

Earnest in Oath
5:53 the most earnest of sworn oaths—that they ; Jahada; Earnest; ; ; ; ; Oath;
6:109 And they swear by God the most earnest ; Jahada; Earnest; ; ; ; ; Oath;
16:38 swore by God their most earnest oaths: God; Jahada; Earnest; ; ; ; ; Oath;
24:53 And they swore by God their most earnest; Jahada; Earnest; ; ; ; ; Oath;
35:42 they swore by God the most earnest oaths, that; Jahada; Earnest; ; ; ; ; Oath;

Strive for Oneself Only
29:6 struggled, he struggles only for himself. Then; Jahada V.III; strive; ; ; ; ; 4 himself;
29:6 struggled, he struggles only for himself. Then; Yujihidu; strive; ; ; ; ; 4 himself;

Strive Against Infidels
9:73 O Prophet! Struggle with the ones who are; Jahid; strive; ; ; ; ; Against Infidels;
25:52 the ones who are ungrateful and struggle ; Jahid; strive; ; ; ; ; Against Infidels;
66:9 O Prophet! Struggle against the ones who are; Jahid; strive; ; ; ; ; Against Infidels;
25:52 against them thereby with a great struggle; Jihad; strive; ; ; ; ; Against Infidels;

Various
9:79 those who find not but their striving [juh'dahum] to give [charity]; Juhd; Striving; ; ; ; ; Charity;
5:54 They struggle in the way of God and they fear ; Yujihidu; strive; ; Sabil; ; ; No fear;
9:16 be left before God knows those who struggled; Jahada V.III; Strive; ; ; ; ; No other God;
16:110 persecuted and, again, struggled and endured; Jahada V.III; strive; Hijrah; ; ; ; patience;
3:142 God knows not those who struggled among; Jahada V.III; Strive; ; ; ; ; patience;
47:31 you until We know the ones who struggle; Mujahid; strive; ; ; ; ; patience;
8:74 who believed and emigrated and struggled in; Jahada V.III; strive; Hijrah; Sabil; ; ; Supported;
9:86 Believe in God and struggle along with His; Jahid; strive; ; ; ; ; With messenger;
From the above listing, it is noticeable that there are no verse that is linking 'jihad' directly with fight, attacking, killing infidels.

Nonetheless, the verses above within the context of "hijrah" "sabil-Way of Allah" "strive against infidels" "strives with money and lives" do combine with other verses to inspire SOME Muslims who are unfortunately born with an active evil tendency, to commit terrible evils and violence. [This assertion need to be proven and it can be proven]. The evidence is very glaring.

Thus whenever we come across the term 'jihad' and in order to arrive at the intended referent, we need to ask 'in which language' is the term used i.e.

1. Quranic Language or,
2. English Language or,
3. Modern Standard Arabic -MSA

Views?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 03:07 AM

3,166 posts, read 1,036,278 times
"Jihad" (noun) is referred in the Qur'aan in only 4 verses. it is "jahad" (verb) that is referred in many other verses.

People (politicians, western media gurus, Islam haters, even the terrorists) misuse the word "jihad". It is never for the purpose they use it for.

I think you are now finding the truth of what I have been saying to you all along.

Basically, labeled Jihadists are never Jihadists (Mujahideen) in reality but only criminals. It is a mistake to call them Jihadists.

Old 12-31-2016, 03:36 AM

2,050 posts, read 660,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
"Jihad" (noun) is referred in the Qur'aan in only 4 verses. it is "jahad" (verb) that is referred in many other verses.

People (politicians, western media gurus, Islam haters, even the terrorists) misuse the word "jihad". It is never for the purpose they use it for.

I think you are now finding the truth of what I have been saying to you all along.

Basically, labeled Jihadists are never Jihadists (Mujahideen) in reality but only criminals. It is a mistake to call them Jihadists.
My friend
You need to learn the Koran to be able to respond
Muslim scholars said that jihad is the legislation on four stages
Jihad is a term Qarane
And it is linked with the essence of the Koran
He said Muslims are trying to spread the faith in the jihad
The jihad by participating in combat operations of the most important of those stages
For this reason, the translation into other languages Jihad be incomplete
And it must be combat Jihad
Jihad is not mentioned in the Christian religion
Not known to Jews
Because they believe that God is the one who protects them, and destroy their enemies
The Jews believe in the Almighty God and the power
And it does not need to man up fighting for God's sake
Christian and started fighting it rejects all forms
For this reason
I could say
Jihad in Islam is a way terrorist attack

Old 12-31-2016, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahasn sawresho View Post
My friend
You learn nothing from your koran; you can learn a lot from the Qur'aan.
By the way, do you have any intelligent remarks to make here or are you here just to interrupt intelligent discussions?

Old 12-31-2016, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Bush called it Crusade. His God had told him to launch that Crusade (the whole world heard it in his own words).

Quote:
Not known to Jews
Because they believe that God is the one who protects them, and destroy their enemies
Judges 1:8
The men of Judah attacked Jerusalem also and took it. They put the city to the sword and set it on fire.

Numbers 31:9
The Israelites captured the Midianite women and children and took all the Midianite herds, flocks and goods as plunder.

Deuteronomy 2:34-35
At that time we took all his towns and completely destroyed them—men, women and children. We left no survivors. But the livestock and the plunder from the towns we had captured we carried off for ourselves.

Deuteronomy 3:6
We completely destroyed them, as we had done with Sihon king of Heshbon, destroying every city—men, women and children.

Judges 21:10
So the assembly sent twelve thousand fighting men with instructions to go to Jabesh Gilead and put to the sword those living there, including the women and children.

1 Samuel 15:3
Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.’”

Now that is the Jewish version documented in their own books. You, ebne swaresho, are blind to all that. Shame on you for your lies here.

Quote:
For this reason
I could say
Ignorance must be bliss for you.

Old 12-31-2016, 02:39 PM

1,244 posts, read 709,331 times
Salaam aleykoum

[4:95] Not equal are the sedentary among the believers who are not handicapped, and those who strive (mujahiduna) in the cause of God with their money and their lives.

God exalts the strivers (Mujahideen) with their money and their lives above the sedentary.

For both, God promises salvation, but God exalts the strivers (Mujahideen) over the sedentary with a great recompense.

Of course, other meanings in different contexts also exist.

Old 12-31-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
You learn nothing from your koran; you can learn a lot from the Qur'aan.
By the way, do you have any intelligent remarks to make here or are you here just to interrupt intelligent discussions?
I told you earlier that writing the Koran is the name of things formalism
I do not care so much
Because I am in Arabic Say the word right
2. ask me why I'm here
I think the answer is it simple
Even explain I'm here right Koran
Not used dissimulation
3-Now that the smart discussions
This new term
Koran did not know smart
Because it does not accept the word of a rigid change
It must be made obedience to him even if it is contrary to the logic of reason and intelligence

Old 12-31-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Bush called it Crusade. His God had told him to launch that Crusade (the whole world heard it in his own words).

Judges 1:8
The men of Judah attacked Jerusalem also and took it. They put the city to the sword and set it on fire.

Numbers 31:9
The Israelites captured the Midianite women and children and took all the Midianite herds, flocks and goods as plunder.

Deuteronomy 2:34-35
At that time we took all his towns and completely destroyed them—men, women and children. We left no survivors. But the livestock and the plunder from the towns we had captured we carried off for ourselves.

Deuteronomy 3:6
We completely destroyed them, as we had done with Sihon king of Heshbon, destroying every city—men, women and children.

Judges 21:10
So the assembly sent twelve thousand fighting men with instructions to go to Jabesh Gilead and put to the sword those living there, including the women and children.

1 Samuel 15:3
Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.’”

Now that is the Jewish version documented in their own books. You, ebne swaresho, are blind to all that. Shame on you for your lies here.

Ignorance must be bliss for you.
1-you are American
And you know very well that your country is in the power of control over the oil riches in the Arabian Gulf
And happiness because of Bush's policy
I think if you want to reject the well-being of those I invite you to go to Saudi Arabia so sweetly and enjoy the sweetness of the Holy thy law
2-
The term crusade is a historic term
This term does not depend on the Gospel
Christian books with you a Gospel Is in the folds of the Gospel Crusade term
3-The Crusades caused Muslims to attack the churches of Jerusalem and burned
And the Fatimids in Egypt did so
Read the history
And then it became a war for the interests and also in order to deter the Islamic invasion
They were defensive wars in the beginning
4-Muslims who attacked America
Does America want your country to a kneel subject of Islam, as you did
As Obama did when he kiss the hand of the king of Saudi Arabia
I believe that Islam wash your brain and make you an enemy of handmaid
5-This is not surprising
Because Muhammad fought his cousins and his clan even satisfy his ambitions in the enjoyment of women and spoils
6-Torah, a Jewish book
And share with them in their faith
But all Jews were defensive wars
It was in order to protect their state
You know that Judaism is not a missionary
7-If you believe that the teachings of the Torah combat and Christianity came and rejected all the teachings of the fighting
But Islam has a tradition to the teachings of the Torah and, as claimed by you
Is it true that trace the mis
Or rejected
Christianity rejects the teachings of the fighting
While the expansion of Islam
The world in the eyes of Muslims sections
Infidels and those impure
As the Quran says
But detest impure
And a section of believers and those are Muslims
Will believes in this racial division
You and US claims of democracy
8-Do you know the US ye that Islam does not believe in democracy
It does not believe in all your laws
Islam wants to destroy them
Because Islam says that the ruling is God
His words and that the Koran and the law
9. Read the well
The concept of governance in Islamic history
Read the facts and the battle between the two rows of Imam Ali, the Prophet Muhammad Aisha wife
And how they raised the Koran on swords

Old 12-31-2016, 06:18 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,276,969 times
Quote:
My friend
Muslim scholars said that jihad is the legislation on four stages
Jihad is a term Qarane
And it is linked with the essence of the Koran
He said Muslims are trying to spread the faith in the jihad
The jihad by participating in combat operations of the most important of those stages
For this reason, the translation into other languages Jihad be incomplete
And it must be combat Jihad
Not known to Jews
And it does not need to man up fighting for God's sake
Christian and started fighting it rejects all forms
For this reason
I could say
As Jihad is an Arabic word and the Bible was written in Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek (The oldest known writing we have of the NT are in Koin Greek) do not exppect to fine Jihad in the Bible instead look for words that translate into Jihad: Fight Strive, Strife and Struggle.

Strife appears 45 times in the KJV, Strive appears 26 times,Strived once, Striven once, Striveth 3 times, Striving 4 times and strivings 4 time

Struggled once.

If you Translate the KJV into Arabic you will find Jihad at least 85 times. If you also translate fight as Jihad you will have to add in

fight 160
fighteth 6
fighting 8
fightings 2

Bringing Jihad in the Bible up to 216 times at a minimum.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 12-31-2016, 08:18 PM

3,440 posts, read 1,581,295 times
Quote:

This very narrow interpretation of vocabulary, grammar, syntax and morphology that only insults your own linguistic intelligence.

A word in the linguistic sense must take into account all its grammatical forms, i.e. as primarily a noun, verb, adverb, and other grammatical functions. e.g.
verb III imperfect (yujahidu) —to struggle

verb III imperative (jahid)—struggle

verb III verbal noun (jihad)—struggling

verb III active participle (mujahid)— one who struggles

JAHADA—verb I perfect—to be earnest
verb I verbal noun (jahd)—most earnest

JUHD—masculine noun—striving
The term 'jihad' i.e. "strive" is primary a verb i.e. involves action.
This is why 'jihad' is generally regarded as a verbal noun.

Thus whatever the terms, jahid, jihad, mujahid, etc, they all are traced back to its original primary grammatical function, i.e. as an action word, i.e. strive, struggle, and depending on the context.
25:52 Fala tutiAAi alkafireena wajahidhum bihi jihadan kabeeran
The "wajahidhum" is a verb which is primarily related to action.
The "jihadan" is verbal noun and its primary element is related to action.
Even if you insist is it a 'noun' [not specific] it's primary element is still related to action.

The term "jihad" is definitely related to action in contrast to a noun like 'apple' which primary element is an empirical physical object.

Quote:

Frankly your's is a half-baked truth. I have never agreed to your meanings in a conflated perspectives.

What I have presented on this issue is one must take context into account, i.e. whether the term 'jihad' is used in the English Language perspective or the Quranic Language perspective.
For 'jihad' to mean 'holy war' in the English Language is true because the English dictionaries said so.

Quote:
In the English Language, from the term 'jihad' = holy war, it is correct to interpret jihadists as those who are fighting an Islamic holy war. Who are you to say it is wrong.
For example, Bin Laden was a jihadist because he insisted he was fighting an Islamic holy war based on the Quran and he provided his references from the Quran. Therefore you cannot cursed those who use the term 'jihadist' to refer to 'Bin Laden' because in terms of the English Language the word 'jihadist' in the dictionary correspond to the referent.

Anyone who understand proper English will understand what 'jihadists' mean in terms of it proper referent.
It is just like the term 'gay' which by default within present consensus mean "homosexual." The people of the island of Lesbos in Greece, supposedly the "Lesbians" complained the gay community use of "Lesbians" for female homosexuals. But there is nothing they can do about it.

Your complain is valid if you insist 'jihad' in the Quranic Language cannot be the same as the 'jihad' used in the English Language or even MSA.
The term 'jihad' with its family of the verb re 'strive' [struggle, etc.] as used in the Quranic Language is explained in the OP.

Btw, I just refer to the
Arabic-English Dictionary: The Hans Wehr Dictionary of Modern Written Arabic

A PDF copy can be obtained here; see page 142-3.
https://archive.org/details/Dict_Wehr.pdf

The term jihad = "holy war"

It will be interesting to find out what the purely Arabic Dictionary state.
If I am not mistaken, mahasn sawresho who read Arabic mentioned, in the Arabic Dictionary, jihad = holy war. [??]
mahasn sawresho, can you name the Arabic Dictionary, or can any one confirm what does "jihad" mean in the common Arabic dictionary.

Last edited by Continuum; 12-31-2016 at 08:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or