U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-30-2017, 07:19 AM
 
39,400 posts, read 10,979,347 times
Reputation: 5114

Advertisements

Interesting thread. It flags up questions about appropriate dress.

In some countries it was ok to go nude to the waist so long as the legs were covered.

In others, covering or cutting the hair was appropriate to signify chasity.

In the secular west, there was a debate about whose fault it was for wolf -whistling - the way women dressed or the dirty minds of the workmen?

Indeed, we rather joke that even if women covered themselves totally the self -appointed mentors of Morality would demand they stay indoors since the sight of the shapeless black bundle shamelly appearing in public would drive him to a frenzy of lust thinking what was underneath.

But sorry, Mustaphashaq, even if they were indoors the sight of a house containing all that voluptuous black -swathed flesh would drive you mad.

The fault in the end is not with the nudist beach but with the mind of the person going there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-30-2017, 02:24 PM
 
3,169 posts, read 1,049,093 times
Reputation: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Interesting thread. It flags up questions about appropriate dress.

In some countries it was ok to go nude to the waist so long as the legs were covered.
Certainly not in Alaska or Greenland!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
In others, covering or cutting the hair was appropriate to signify chasity.
Cultural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
In the secular west, there was a debate about whose fault it was for wolf -whistling - the way women dressed or the dirty minds of the workmen?
Both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Indeed, we rather joke that even if women covered themselves totally the self -appointed mentors of Morality would demand they stay indoors since the sight of the shapeless black bundle shamelly appearing in public would drive him to a frenzy of lust thinking what was underneath.
Depends on culture but why are these "self-appointed mentors of Morality" almost always men?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
But sorry, Mustaphashaq, even if they were indoors the sight of a house containing all that voluptuous black -swathed flesh would drive you mad.
That makes me think that there is very little difference in black dress and house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
The fault in the end is not with the nudist beach but with the mind of the person going there.
Only the nudists go there; is something wrong with their minds?

Back to the Qur'aan and Islam, there are at least 5 reasons for human dress (clothing). Two of them are for protection from hot sun and extreme cold. Does anyone know which are the other three types of clothing appropriate for human beings as revealed in the Qur'aan and which one is the best of the lot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2017, 11:34 PM
 
2,050 posts, read 667,655 times
Reputation: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Interesting thread. It flags up questions about appropriate dress.

In some countries it was ok to go nude to the waist so long as the legs were covered.

In others, covering or cutting the hair was appropriate to signify chasity.

In the secular west, there was a debate about whose fault it was for wolf -whistling - the way women dressed or the dirty minds of the workmen?

Indeed, we rather joke that even if women covered themselves totally the self -appointed mentors of Morality would demand they stay indoors since the sight of the shapeless black bundle shamelly appearing in public would drive him to a frenzy of lust thinking what was underneath.

But sorry, Mustaphashaq, even if they were indoors the sight of a house containing all that voluptuous black -swathed flesh would drive you mad.

The fault in the end is not with the nudist beach but with the mind of the person going there.
(with the mind of the person )
That's true
The veil does not always refer to chastity
But he points to the identity of the hijab it is Islamic identity
are meaning if wears a good veil
and are who not wears the hijab is bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2017, 01:21 PM
 
3,169 posts, read 1,049,093 times
Reputation: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahasn sawresho View Post
(with the mind of the person )
That's true
The veil does not always refer to chastity
But he points to the identity of the hijab it is Islamic identity
Where did you get that idea from; from French? Hijab is not for identity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahasn sawresho View Post
are meaning if wears a good veil
and are who not wears the hijab is bad
Are you talking about the hijab or a good veil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2017, 09:41 PM
 
2,050 posts, read 667,655 times
Reputation: 204
The hijab is an Islamic identity

It is not evidence of honor

Hijab leads to the denial of women's rights in freedom as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2017, 01:26 AM
 
3,169 posts, read 1,049,093 times
Reputation: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahasn sawresho View Post
The hijab is an Islamic identity
Repeated false claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahasn sawresho View Post
It is not evidence of honor
True. It is needed in some cultures for women's safety reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahasn sawresho View Post
Hijab leads to the denial of women's rights in freedom as well
Another false claim.

It is their right to wear whatever they like. It is denying their right to prevent them wearing hijab. In truly civilized societies such as those of UK and USA, it is accepted as women's right. If they want to wear it, you can't stop them wearing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top