Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 01:08 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,645,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Alcohol should be weaned off eventually but the priority is on smoking because smoking has more cons relatively to alcohol at present.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
The non-Islamic world is more than 1400 years behind. The Qur'aan had commanded alcohol to be weaned off and totally banned over 1400 years ago. As a result, alcohol does not exist as for as I am concerned. I have never missed it for that reason.
Note there is a difference between weaning off, i.e. giving naturally and voluntarily with understanding and impulse control.

Many authorities over eons has been restricting and banning the drinking of alcohol but it has never been successful. Most religion do not condone intoxicants. Islam's method of controlling the consumption of alcohol is merely by threats of Hell and fears. This is a cheapskate way of control. I understand there are many Muslims who drink alcohol as well.

What I am advocating is a naturally weaning off.

Quote:
That's impossible unless you understand "spirit" first. In the meantime, there would be no halting creation of more WMDs.
"Spirit" is a very loose definition. I would not go for the 'spirit' as defined in the Quran.

What I defined as 'spirit' is that synergized consciousness of human being which optimizes the well being of the individual an interact interdependently with humanity and the universe.
It is something akin to team-spirit, where the individual spiritual being blend with other humans to produce synergies that optimize within whatever the constraints.

Quote:
Unless you can invent a new brain, evil potential remains inherited. Human behavior cannot be controlled unless injustice in the world is eliminated first and all humans are well educated to control their Self (nafs).
It is not a matter of inventing a new brain.
It is a matter of new connectivity within the existing brain to optimize the well being of the individual and therefrom humanity.
It will involve controlling of impulses [not per Quran which is rigid, crude and primitive] but on a more holistic approach with no side effects.

Take a note of the following image;

What the Quran is focused on is on the mid-brain and lower 'animal' brain with an emphasis on a range of fears [fear, threat by Allah], various negative emotions [anger, wrath, hatred] and primordial fears which is at the lowest base of the brain.

The 'spiritual' approaches I advocate will involve the whole brain with emphasis on the higher human brain [the astronaut part]. Some of these processes are already existing with the Eastern religions/spirituality like Buddhism, Jainism, Toaism and some Hindu religion like advaita. Islam at its best is kindergarten compared to the higher levels of these religions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 03:54 AM

3,640 posts, read 41,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
"Spirit" is a very loose definition. I would not go for the 'spirit' as defined in the Quran.
You are forgetting that you are in Islam forum.

Quote:
What I defined as 'spirit' is that synergized consciousness of human being which optimizes the well being of the individual an interact interdependently with humanity and the universe.
It is something akin to team-spirit, where the individual spiritual being blend with other humans to produce synergies that optimize within whatever the constraints.
I knew you had no idea in this Islam forum as to what is "spirit" according to the Qur'aan. You equate it to human consciousness and its team-work. This is moving away from Islam and discussing Islam.

In Islam, human consciousness is the result of "spirit" instead of the human consciousness being "spirit" itself.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:22 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,645,097 times
Quote:

I knew you had no idea in this Islam forum as to what is "spirit" according to the Qur'aan. You equate it to human consciousness and its team-work. This is moving away from Islam and discussing Islam.

In Islam, human consciousness is the result of "spirit" instead of the human consciousness being "spirit" itself.
Nah that is too pedantic. Such attitude do not bode well for humanity on the whole.

I am just giving an alternative view and has no intention to go into its details. Surely you do not want to insist to be a frog in very deep well?

It is not difficult to understand 'spirit' from the Quran perspective in terms of 'ruh' [RWH]and nafs [NFS]. These two terms are insufficient to encompass the full 'spiritual' 'spirit' of the Quran which entails the pysche and spiritual deeds of humans.

Last edited by Continuum; 04-13-2017 at 10:39 PM..

Old 04-14-2017, 06:26 AM

3,640 posts, read 41,468 times
Quote:

Quote:
Nah that is too pedantic. Such attitude do not bode well for humanity on the whole.
That means you did not understand what I had expressed.

Quote:
I am just giving an alternative view and has no intention to go into its details. Surely you do not want to insist to be a frog in very deep well?
I will be able to hear you even if you are croaking from a very deep well. Just make sure that it is Islamic in this forum.

Quote:
It is not difficult to understand 'spirit' from the Quran perspective in terms of 'ruh' [RWH]and nafs [NFS].
You have just told me that you do not understand 'spirit' from the Qur'aan perspective.

Quote:
These two terms are insufficient to encompass the full 'spiritual' 'spirit' of the Quran which entails the pysche and spiritual deeds of humans.
This comment is irrelevant as there is only one term for 'spirit' in the Qur'aan. Perhaps reading too many English translations has confused you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam