Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 01:23 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,622,400 times

Advertisements

Here are some videos on why Music is haram.

What are your views on the above?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 11:48 AM

3,639 posts, read 12,777 times
Music is not forbidden. I believe even Dawood (David) had played music (1 Samuel 16).

Old 04-09-2017, 08:39 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,010,617 times
I accept the view that it is forbidden with exceptions. I also accept Sahih Hadeeth as guidance, which leads me to that conclusion, but that's another topic.

With that said I think all schools of thought would agree that any music with profane and/or clearly Un-Islamic language and lyrics is forbidden, which unfortunately covers a lot of modern music.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:46 PM

I think the big mistake of Ahadith-Muslims here is to assume Muhammad's sunnah carry divine authority.
In Bukhary, Muhammad [representing Allah] stated musical instruments along with others like intoxicants, etc. are haram.
Therefore ALL forms of music are haram.

Because Allah said so [via Muhammad] the emotional and psychological desperate Muslim will have to follow it otherwise if they don't follow they will go to hell.

The truth is Muhammad's sunnah which has no link with the Quran cannot have any divine authority. There is no where in the Quran, i.e. Allah's words that state music is haram.

Music is an inherent part and parcel of humanity.
The baby in the womb is exposed to musical rhythm by the mother's heartbeat.
Rhythmatic breathing is also musical.
Music has very great contributions [proven by research] to the well beings of the individual human being and humanity.
Of course like anything else there are cons beside the pros, but it is stupidity to ban such a significant aspect of humanity by focusing merely on the cons of music.

Therefore those Ahadith-Muslims who ban music from their life are straying away from being more human to become religious zombies. The only main religion where music is an issue is Islam. Such thoughts reflect immature spirituality and religiosity.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
I accept the view that it is forbidden with exceptions. I also accept Sahih Hadeeth as guidance, which leads me to that conclusion, but that's another topic.

With that said I think all schools of thought would agree that any music with profane and/or clearly Un-Islamic language and lyrics is forbidden, which unfortunately covers a lot of modern music.
Point is if you want to be a good Ahadith Muslim you must adhere to what Muhammad stated in the Ahadith. You as a slave of Allah cannot use your discretion.

Therefore if you are an Ahadith Muslim [Sunni] and you listen to music then you have somehow committed a sin. There is no room for exceptions.

Perhaps you can rationalize and compromised personally with exceptions but the majority of Ahadith-Muslims will obey Bukhary's hadith 100%.
The problem arises when SOME [not all] Muslims who are evil prone find music by non-Muslims and other muslims as najas [NJS] and evil, thus take the initiative to go against ending with attacking them and depriving others of the music they enjoyed.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
Music is not forbidden. I believe even Dawood (David) had played music (1 Samuel 16).
Whatever is in the OT or NT in the Bible of the present are claimed to be corrupted, thus cannot be taken as having divine authority by Muslims who followed the Quran revealed to Muhammad.

Last edited by Continuum; 04-09-2017 at 11:08 PM..

Old 04-09-2017, 10:18 PM

Note the benefits of Music

Scientists Find 15 Amazing Benefits Of Listening To Music
Scientists Find 15 Amazing Benefits Of Listening To Music

Music Makes You Happier. ...
Music Enhances Running Performance. ...
Music Lowers Stress and Improves Health. ...
Music Helps You Sleep Better. ...
Music Reduces Depression. ...
Music Helps You Eat Less. ...
Music Elevates Your Mood While Driving.
8. Music Strengthens Learning and Memory
9. Music Relaxes Patients Before/After Surgery
10. Music Reduces Pain
11. Music Helps Alzheimer’s Patients Remember
12. Music Improves Recovery in Stroke Patients
13. Music Increases Verbal Intelligence
14. Music Raises IQ and Academic Performance
15. Music Keeps Your Brain Healthy in Old Age

... & many more benefits

Therefore it is stupid to ban music from human life just because some cons naturally exist.

When pop music [of Beatles, Elvis, rock and roll] came about, it was claimed the whole humanity and society will collapse. But out of such a mix, note the change that produced Richard Branson, Steve Job, Bill Gates and many others who rebelled against the norms then, who turned out to contribute greatly to humanity. Point is it naturally that if one wants diamond, one has to deal with the dirt as well.

The Ahadith-Muslims who ban music are very immature and not wise, thus less human.

Last edited by Continuum; 04-09-2017 at 11:10 PM..

Old 04-09-2017, 11:47 PM

3,639 posts, read 12,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
Whatever is in the OT or NT in the Bible of the present are claimed to be corrupted, thus cannot be taken as having divine authority by Muslims who followed the Quran revealed to Muhammad.
"Claimed to be corrupted"?

Through the Qur'aan, Allah had verified/confirmed (2:41, 2:89, 2:91, 2:101, 3:81, 4:47) what they (Jews and Christians) had with them at the time. So when was it "corrupted"?

[3.84] Say: We believe in Allah and what has been revealed to us, and what was revealed to Abraham and Ishmael and Isaac and Jacob and the tribes, and what was given to Moses and Jesus and to the Prophets from their Lord; we do not make any distinction between any of them, and to Him do we submit.

Old 04-09-2017, 11:54 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,325,544 times
LOL OK whatever:
These are some of my favorite videos of mid east music...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe6dnq_VxX4

Hope Saria is still OK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huaaeeOV1aA

Eeh Oh Aa Aa Ah Ah Ah Salami Mix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQuzhQr-tbY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUBvVTNRp4Q

Old 04-10-2017, 12:28 AM

2,049 posts, read 1,056,707 times
Evidence of prohibition from the Holy Quran:

[Surah Luqman: 6].

Al-Hasan al-Basri (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: "This verse was revealed in singing and psalms" (Tafseer Ibn Katheer).

Al - Isra: 64].

" [al-Furqan: 72].

These verses are the basis for Muslims in the prohibition of singing

But the words of Muhammad are many
It is written by ancient Muslims
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam