U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2017, 04:20 AM

317 posts, read 235,927 times

Advertisements

I'm curious about this. Working here in Gulf and I'm told that cousins often marry each other. This results in learning disabilities with some of the children. Is this something cultural (in Arab but not in other Muslim countries) i.e Indonesia, or something religious? Would be interested in others' view on this.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:08 AM

3,166 posts, read 1,036,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandis View Post
I'm curious about this. Working here in Gulf and I'm told that cousins often marry each other. This results in learning disabilities with some of the children. Is this something cultural (in Arab but not in other Muslim countries) i.e Indonesia, or something religious? Would be interested in others' view on this.
It is more cultural than religious. Religion does not require them to marry only cousins.

In some cultures they won't even think of finding a match outside the family circle (cousins are considered first). Another cultural thing in some Muslim communities is marrying only within the caste or tribal system (this is not religious).

From religious point of view, it is debatable whether only the prophet was allowed to marry his cousin or Muslims at large too are allowed to marry cousins.

I won't agree with the view that the cousin marriages result in children with learning disabilities. I have seen many children of such marriages to be quite bright learners. What I do agree with is that a long sequences of cousin marriage in the same family would sooner or later produce health-wise weak children.

My personal view is that the cousins should not marry each other. With spread of education, things are changing in the communities where cousin marriages have been norm in the past.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:18 PM

4,411 posts, read 1,639,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandis View Post
Albert Einstein and Charles Darwin married their first cousins. Even Rudy Guiliani married his cousin.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:59 PM

11,174 posts, read 10,993,793 times
This appears to be a topic unrelated top Islam.

Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or