U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 03:50 AM

3,169 posts, read 1,049,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysByChance View Post
Also, John 20:27

27Then Jesus said to Thomas, “Put your finger here and look at My hands. Reach out your hand and put it into My side. Stop doubting and believe.”
All it means is that Jesus was injured but still flesh and bones as before. And why was Jesus hiding from Jews after the supposed crucifixion?

Would people be resurrected as flesh and bones or be like angels (as spirits)? Jesus is supposed to have said that you would be like angels (spirits) after the resurrection. Do you believe so? How come he could be felt but also go through the closed doors? Was he flesh and bones or spirit after the "resurrection"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 08:49 AM

277 posts, read 100,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
All it means is that Jesus was injured but still flesh and bones as before. And why was Jesus hiding from Jews after the supposed crucifixion?

Would people be resurrected as flesh and bones or be like angels (as spirits)? Jesus is supposed to have said that you would be like angels (spirits) after the resurrection. Do you believe so? How come he could be felt but also go through the closed doors? Was he flesh and bones or spirit after the "resurrection"?
I don't know what to say, except that people can interpret things differently. I believe Jesus died and was resurrected. The Quran only says that it "appeared" as though the Jews killed Christ, but in reality, it was the Romans that killed Christ. I think the Quran is an excellent piece of literature, and I also believe it's from God.

Some of the bible appears as though it may have limited corruption. The Ethiopian Orthodox Church is the second oldest national church (Founded 333 CE) and the Ethiopian bible is a lot bigger than the Western Catholic and Protestant bibles. The book of Enoch, is a book in the Ethiopian bible and is believed to have been written in (300 BCE). There are grammatical errors in the book, but the message is clear. It teaches that Angels can do evil, unlike in Islam.

To my knowledge, the Quran does not say anywhere that Angels don't have free will. I know Jews also say Angels can't sin. If you ever read the Book of Revelation, it declares that Satan has an army of Angels that are his slaves. It very clearly states, Satan possesses Angels of his own, working against Jesus.

Also, in the Book of Revelation, Jesus declares himself, the Lord God the Almighty. Mainstream Christians don't believe that Jesus was created. It is tought, that Jesus is the "first" person to come into existence, and the "last" to leave existance. Meaning, that he always was, and always will be. Jesus created the universe, and all life forms on earth, and also created the Angels and Satan. Jesus allowed himself to be born, to do his fathers will on earth.

Most Christians believe that Jesus is Allah.

Jesus prayed to his Father, who is even Greater the he. Jesus created all life, and the whole universe, and just imagine, his father, is even greater than the creator, and the creator of all things is Jesus Christ.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I don't know what to say, except that people can interpret things differently. I believe Jesus died and was resurrected. The Quran only says that it "appeared" as though the Jews killed Christ, but in reality, it was the Romans that killed Christ. I think the Quran is an excellent piece of literature, and I also believe it's from God.
Now we are both talking like real believers. You believe that the Qur'aan is from God and we believe that whatever Jesus preached (Injeel) was from God. This is our common ground.

As for the Jews crucifying and killing Jesus, it was the Jews who wanted Jesus crucified. Romans didn't think he was guilty of anything but the Jews still insisted that he be crucified. Therefore, the Jews had no idea what happened at the crucifixion event. They had no proof but only conjecture that they had Jesus crucified and killed.

Your point that Jesus did die but Jews did not kill him could also be correct. The question then is when did Jesus die. Before crucifixion event, during the crucifixion event or after the crucifixion event.

By the way, do you believe that Jesus died for the sins of humans or sin of Christians? Why is crucifixion, death and resurrection so important for Christians?

In Islam, it makes no sense to have an innocent man killed for the sins of sinners. God does not need to have someone sinless to be killed to forgive sins. It is quite easy for God to forgive sins.

Quote:
Some of the bible appears as though it may have limited corruption. The Ethiopian Orthodox Church is the second oldest national church (Founded 333 CE) and the Ethiopian bible is a lot bigger than the Western Catholic and Protestant bibles. The book of Enoch, is a book in the Ethiopian bible and is believed to have been written in (300 BCE). There are grammatical errors in the book, but the message is clear. It teaches that Angels can do evil, unlike in Islam.
Whatever the case about angels, it does not matter to us because we will have salvation only because of what we have done.

Quote:
To my knowledge, the Quran does not say anywhere that Angels don't have free will. I know Jews also say Angels can't sin. If you ever read the Book of Revelation, it declares that Satan has an army of Angels that are his slaves. It very clearly states, Satan possesses Angels of his own, working against Jesus.
The Qur'aan says that the angels do as they are told.
We learn from the Qur'aan that those who obey God do not have pride.
To my knowledge, only humans and jinn have pride. Iblis was a jinn.
Hell will be filled with humans and jinn.
Allah hasn't said that angels will be in hell.
In fact, the guards of hell will be angels, according to the Qur'aan.
Angels can penetrate upper heavens; jinn can't. Therefore angels can't be controlled by Satan.
Book of Revelation is not mentioned in the Qur'aan. It sounds more like a book of revelation from Satan.

Quote:
Also, in the Book of Revelation, Jesus declares himself, the Lord God the Almighty.
Proves my last point above.

Quote:
Mainstream Christians don't believe that Jesus was created.
He was certainly created being. An un-created being will never die.

Quote:
It is tought, that Jesus is the "first" person to come into existence, and the "last" to leave existance. Meaning, that he always was, and always will be.
It is taught wrongly. It is someone's imagination only.

Quote:
Jesus created the universe, and all life forms on earth, and also created the Angels and Satan. Jesus allowed himself to be born, to do his fathers will on earth.
How come his created Romans could crucify and kill such a powerful Jesus? Who is stronger and powerful; Creator or creation?

Quote:
They disbelieve according to the Qur'aan 5:17, 5:72 and 5:73.

Quote:
Jesus prayed to his Father, who is even Greater the he. Jesus created all life, and the whole universe, and just imagine, his father, is even greater than the creator, and the creator of all things is Jesus Christ.
Who killed Jesus Christ?

[5.17] Certainly they disbelieve who say: Surely, Allah-- He is the Messiah, son of Mary. Say: Who then could control anything as against Allah when He wished to destroy the Messiah son of Mary and his mother and all those on the earth? And Allah's is the kingdom of the heavens and the earth and what is between them; He creates what He pleases; and Allah has power over all things,

Old 05-30-2017, 02:41 PM

I believe in the Quran. But, I believe in the Bible too. Maybe they are not compatible, but I think it's a divine mystery. I keep my Quran and Bible in a special place, both together. In both books, God causes a massive flood to kill the wicked, one can only assume women and children died, too. I keep my personal opinions of God to myself, because I fear Him.

For starters, the God of the bible is a lot more violent than the God of the Quran.

1# The God of the Quran supports giving slaves freedom; The God of the Torah supports and encourages slavery of non-Israelites.

2# To my knowledge, the God of the Quran subdues those defeated peoples, that fought against the Muslims, with a Tax; The God of the Torah supports the killing of children of defeated tribes/nations(Numbers 31:17).

3# Moses is thought of as a peaceful man in the Quran; In the bible, Moses endorsed the sexual slavery of little girls. Again!(Numbers 31:17-18) and the slaughter of little boys.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:09 PM

331 posts, read 197,940 times
Quote:
No, they certainly do not. They believe Jesus is divine, the third person of the Trinity. (Jehovah's Witnesses and some others, of course, recognize Jesus as the son of God but not the third person of a trinity.)

Allah may be the Arabic word for God, but no non-Arabic-speaking Christian would ever say "Jesus is Allah." If an Arabic-speaking Christian said it, he would mean "Jesus is God," not "Jesus is the Allah of the Quran." You are bending over backwards to accommodate Khalif but making a serious theological mistake for a Christian.

I admire your apparently sincere effort to tiptoe through this minefield, but it's a hopeless task.

You start by saying you're a Christian, but you then proceed to say things no Christian would ever say, such as "I believe in the Quran. But, I believe in the Bible too. Maybe they are not compatible, but I think it's a divine mystery." No, they are indeed not compatible. They are irreconcilably in conflict. Is the incompatibility between the Atheist Manifesto and the Bible a divine mystery?

Khalif is loving it. You are so "reasonable." Right, you are reasonable in the sense that you have watered down your Christianity to accommodate Khalif. He isn't budging an inch to accommodate you and never will.

Trying to have a polite and respectful dialogue with a Muslim is impossible unless (1) the Christian seriously dilutes his faith, or (2) the dialogue is kept at a very superficial level. The same is true for a dialogue with a Mormon. Yes, Muslims and Mormons say they worship the God of the Bible, but they do so in name only - their God is a fundamentally different being. They say they worship Jesus - but it is a fundamentally different Jesus. A Christian cannot water down his Christianity to accommodate the Quran or Book of Mormon and reasonably call himself a Christian.

I don't say this as some Bible-thumping crank. Read my other posts and you'll see that. I am perfectly willing to dialogue with Muslims or anyone else, but at the end of the day the bottom line has to be that these are two different religions, two different Gods, with irreconcilable differences on key doctrines.

To the extent I am a crank of some species, it is becoming one of my pet peeves the extent to which people wish to appropriate the label "Christian" while espousing beliefs at odds with anything Christianity has ever understood or taught. If someone wants an "I'm OK, you're OK" religion, the Bahá'í Faith is good alternative that is more closely aligned with Muslim beliefs than Christian.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:15 PM

21,977 posts, read 22,206,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte74 View Post
Trying to have a polite and respectful dialogue with a Muslim is impossible unless (1) the Christian seriously dilutes his faith, or (2) the dialogue is kept at a very superficial level. The same is true for a dialogue with a Mormon. Yes, Muslims and Mormons say they worship the God of the Bible, but they do so in name only - their God is a fundamentally different being. They say they worship Jesus - but it is a fundamentally different Jesus. A Christian cannot water down his Christianity to accommodate the Quran or Book of Mormon and reasonably call himself a Christian.
And here I was thinking how much we think alike, Troglodyte. I've got to say that I'm disappointed by this post, since you've posted some exceptionally good stuff since you've been here on City-Data. As a Mormon, I believe every last detail that the Bible has to say about Jesus Christ. I don't worship a "fundamentally different Jesus" than other Christians, and I certainly don't worship a different one than the Bible testifies of. What I don't worship is a three-in-one essence that came to exist only after a pagan emperor insisted that Christians get their act together and figure out once and for all who God really was. If you think I worship a different Jesus, maybe you are misinformed about what Mormons actually believe.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:50 PM

3,440 posts, read 1,595,847 times
Quote:
I believe in the Quran. But, I believe in the Bible too. Maybe they are not compatible, but I think it's a divine mystery. I keep my Quran and Bible in a special place, both together. In both books, God causes a massive flood to kill the wicked, one can only assume women and children died, too. I keep my personal opinions of God to myself, because I fear Him.

For starters, the God of the bible is a lot more violent than the God of the Quran.

1# The God of the Quran supports giving slaves freedom; The God of the Torah supports and encourages slavery of non-Israelites.

2# To my knowledge, the God of the Quran subdues those defeated peoples, that fought against the Muslims, with a Tax; The God of the Torah supports the killing of children of defeated tribes/nations(Numbers 31:17).

3# Moses is thought of as a peaceful man in the Quran; In the bible, Moses endorsed the sexual slavery of little girls. Again!(Numbers 31:17-18) and the slaughter of little boys.
From the above views on violent verses, I don't think you really understand what it takes to be a real Christian. [btw, I am not a Christian but I a very familiar with Christianity's doctrine].
It is very objective the Old Testaments contain more evil and violent elements than the Quran in quantity and contents wise, but for the Christians the OT is overridden by the pacifist elements in the NT especially that overriding pacifist maxim 'love your enemy' [no ifs or buts] love this and love that and the likes.

The Quran on the other hand condoned fighting and killing non-believers for the cause of Allah when Islam and Muslims are "zulimu" [ZLM]. This 'zulimu" is anything that is offensive to Islam and Muslims and can cover the smallest 'wrong' against Islam. This is why SOME [not all] Muslims will not hesitate to fight and kill non-Muslims even on an issue of cartoons and some very minor issues.
22:39. Sanction [udhina: permission authorised] is given unto those [Muslims] who fight because they [Muslims] have been 'ẓulimū' [ZLM - ظُلِمُوا] [by infidels and hypocrites]; and Allah is indeed Able to give them [Muslims] victory [naṣrihim];
The problem here is as long as Muslims feel offended to any degree that is 'zulimu' thus that is a warrant to fight and kill non-believers or hypocritical Muslims. What is worst is no one on Earth can judge and insist those who fight and kill in response to 22:39 and other such verses are wrong. Only Allah can do that but Allah will not appear on Earth to made that judgment now until Judgment Day [which may only happen in a millions years or never]. So meanwhile as long as the Quran exists and is believed by people, it is inevitable SOME[not all] Muslims will continue to cast terrors and commit evil and violence on non-Muslims and hypocritical Muslims.

As far as the Quran is concerned it is supreme, will not compromise and accept no other holy texts from any other religions, especially the Bible [Torah and Gospel] which it claimed had been corrupted by the Jews and Christians since it was originally reviewed.

There are many explanations by Jews and Christians why the evil and violent elements are not anchored in their faith.
7 Keys to Understanding Violence in the Old Testament | Seedbed
Google and there are various explanations on this issue.
This is why the statistics of evil and violence at the present do not support Judaism and Christianity are inherently evil and violent.
On the other hand, with Islam there are glaring evidences of the tremendous terrible evils and violence commit by SOME [not all] Muslims who are evil prone and are inspired by the evil laden verses in the Quran, note cries of 'Allahu Akbar' by jihadists and they quoting verses from the Quran.
So the judgment is by its fruits!

I suspect you are transitioning to be a Muslim, that is your prerogative but do understand the Quran thoroughly and stick to the truth at least.

Last edited by Continuum; 05-30-2017 at 08:01 PM..

Old 05-30-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
I believe in the Quran. But, I believe in the Bible too. Maybe they are not compatible, but I think it's a divine mystery.
As a child, I knew very little as to what is written in the Qur'aan. As I grew up, I began to read the Qur'aan both in Arabic and translations in a couple of other language. I came across this verse in the Qur'aan:

[3.84] Say: We believe in Allah and what has been revealed to us, and what was revealed to Abraham and Ishmael and Isaac and Jacob and the tribes, and what was given to Moses and Jesus and to the prophets from their Lord; we do not make any distinction between any of them, and to Him do we submit.

Then I read:

[29.46] And do not dispute with the followers of the Book except by what is best, except those of them who act unjustly, and say: We believe in that which has been revealed to us and revealed to you, and our God and your God is One, and to Him do we submit.

That means, to be a believer, I had to believe that the revelation to Moses and the revelation to Jesus was from Allah and that Allah is the same God that revealed to Moses and Jesus.

Then I had to read the Torah and the Gospels to know what is written in them. This has helped me to even understand the Qur'aan better.

This is our common ground and as long as we respect each others' revelations, we can get on without any problem. Just because I believe in what was revealed to Moses and Jesus, it does not make me either a Jew or a Christian. But it does make me a Believer. The same way, if someone says that he is a Christian but believes in the Qur'aan, it does not make him a Muslim but it does make him a Believer. I respect all Believers.

In the early days of the revelation of the Qur'aan, Believers in Mecca were persecuted so badly that the first group to migrate in order to save their lives was a group that went to seek help of a Christian king in Abyssinia (present Ethiopia). He had protected them as the fellow Believers.

Then I read this verse:

[22.40] Those who have been expelled from their homes without a just cause except that they say: Our Lord is Allah. And had there not been Allah's repelling some people by others, certainly there would have been pulled down cloisters and churches and synagogues and mosques in which Allah's name is much remembered; and surely Allah will help him who helps His cause; most surely Allah is Strong, Mighty.

From 29:46 and 22:40, it's obvious in the Qur'aan that God of Jewish people who worship Him and remember Him in synagogues, Christians who worship and remember Him in churches and Muslims who worship and remember Him in mosques, is the same God. To believe otherwise would be dishonesty and dividing the Believers from their common ground.

Quote:
I keep my Quran and Bible in a special place, both together. In both books, God causes a massive flood to kill the wicked, one can only assume women and children died, too. I keep my personal opinions of God to myself, because I fear Him.

To understand each revelation, one must take into account the circumstances on the ground at the time. We should also keep in mind that the original Torah was lost during the Babylonian attack and the captivity. The present one was written after the captivity. Therefore, the present Torah was written much later than Moses. For example, we read in the Torah:

Deuteronomy 34:5-8
And Moses the servant of the Lord died there in Moab, as the Lord had said. He buried him in Moab, in the valley opposite Beth Peor, but to this day no one knows where his grave is. Moses was a hundred and twenty years old when he died, yet his eyes were not weak nor his strength gone. The Israelites grieved for Moses in the plains of Moab thirty days, until the time of weeping and mourning was over.

Did Moses write that? No. It was written after the Babylonian captivity.

The point to note is that there is still plenty of truth in the Torah and the Gospels that is confirmed by the Qur'aan. We just need to understand the circumstances on the ground at the time these books were written. Overall, the Qur'aan confirms that what was given to Moses, Jesus and Muhammad (peace be upon them) was from the same One True God.

Last edited by Khalif; 05-30-2017 at 09:08 PM..

Old 05-30-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
From the above views on violent verses, I don't think you really understand what it takes to be a real Christian. [btw, I am not a Christian but I a very familiar with Christianity's doctrine].
It is very objective the Old Testaments contain more evil and violent elements than the Quran in quantity and contents wise, but for the Christians the OT is overridden by the pacifist elements in the NT especially that overriding pacifist maxim 'love your enemy' [no ifs or buts] love this and love that and the likes.

The Quran on the other hand condoned fighting and killing non-believers for the cause of Allah when Islam and Muslims are "zulimu" [ZLM]. This 'zulimu" is anything that is offensive to Islam and Muslims and can cover the smallest 'wrong' against Islam. This is why SOME [not all] Muslims will not hesitate to fight and kill non-Muslims even on an issue of cartoons and some very minor issues.
22:39. Sanction [udhina: permission authorised] is given unto those [Muslims] who fight because they [Muslims] have been 'ẓulimū' [ZLM - ظُلِمُوا] [by infidels and hypocrites]; and Allah is indeed Able to give them [Muslims] victory [naṣrihim];
The problem here is as long as Muslims feel offended to any degree that is 'zulimu' thus that is a warrant to fight and kill non-believers or hypocritical Muslims. What is worst is no one on Earth can judge and insist those who fight and kill in response to 22:39 and other such verses are wrong. Only Allah can do that but Allah will not appear on Earth to made that judgment now until Judgment Day [which may only happen in a millions years or never]. So meanwhile as long as the Quran exists and is believed by people, it is inevitable SOME[not all] Muslims will continue to cast terrors and commit evil and violence on non-Muslims and hypocritical Muslims.

As far as the Quran is concerned it is supreme, will not compromise and accept no other holy texts from any other religions, especially the Bible [Torah and Gospel] which it claimed had been corrupted by the Jews and Christians since it was originally reviewed.

There are many explanations by Jews and Christians why the evil and violent elements are not anchored in their faith.
This is why the statistics of evil and violence at the present do not support Judaism and Christianity are inherently evil and violent.
On the other hand, with Islam there are glaring evidences of the tremendous terrible evils and violence commit by SOME [not all] Muslims who are evil prone and are inspired by the evil laden verses in the Quran, note cries of 'Allahu Akbar' by jihadists and they quoting verses from the Quran.

I suspect you are transitioning to be a Muslim, that is your prerogative but do understand the Quran thoroughly and stick to the truth at least.
And the above advice is from someone who is not a Believer. Still, understanding the Qur'aan is a good advice.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post

Matthew 10:34

Jesus says the following: " Do not suppose I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or