U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 01:49 AM

9,874 posts, read 8,165,611 times

Advertisements

Could the lack of a central authority be a contributing cause in the rise of the extremist/terrorist who commit such acts in the name of Allah? While other religions do have their crazy factions, they are limited by the larger factions who oppose such beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 02:41 AM

3,166 posts, read 1,036,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Could the lack of a central authority be a contributing cause in the rise of the extremist/terrorist who commit such acts in the name of Allah?
No human authority is needed in Islam. The message of the Qur'aan is the central authority in Islam.

Extremist/terrorist does not comply with the central authority; the message and guidance from Allah through the message of the Qur'aan.

Quote:
While other religions do have their crazy factions, they are limited by the larger factions who oppose such beliefs.
Did pope stop G. W. Bush and Blair attacking Iraq? Did pope enforce "turn the other cheek"? Did pope enforce "love thy enemy"?

I am not an extremist nor am I a terrorist. My belief is enforced by the teaching, guidance and wisdom in the Qur'aan.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:17 PM

4,411 posts, read 1,640,943 times
Quote:
Could the lack of a central authority be a contributing cause in the rise of the extremist/terrorist who commit such acts in the name of Allah? While other religions do have their crazy factions, they are limited by the larger factions who oppose such beliefs.
It doesn't matter how long of a beard you grow and how loudly you can shout "Allah Akbar", you got nothing to with Islam if you are taking innocent lives.

And such people will not listen to the "central Islamic Authority" anyway, if there was one.

These so called "terrorists" are not Muslims and they are not representatives of Islam, again, no matter how long of a beard they grow and how loudly they can shout Allah Akbar.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:10 PM

Yes.

The answer is simple:

Anyone who is not going to listen to Divine Authority is not going to listen to human authority.

The Qur'aan is guidance from the Divine Authority. It is against killing peaceful people of any religion or of no religion. If you follow any human authority that has no regard for the Divine Authority, you bite the bullet and your human authority ends up in jail. Their brains are in their beards that have no clue about the meanings of Allahu Akbar.

[13.37] And thus have We revealed it (the Qur'aan), a true judgment (of authority) in Arabic, and if you follow their low desires after what has come to you of knowledge, you shall not have against Allah any guardian or a protector.

Old 06-18-2017, 04:24 PM

21,353 posts, read 24,089,891 times
Quote:
Why would Islam need a central authority? Judaism doesn't have one and Christianity definitely doesn't use the Pope as one. The problem in each religion is the senior leader of that sect and the followers follow the interpretations of that leader. The problems stem at the Imam/Rabbi/Priest level.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:30 PM

1,244 posts, read 709,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post

These so called "terrorists" are not Muslims and they are not representatives of Islam, again, no matter how long of a beard they grow and how loudly they can shout Allah Akbar.
Well, they do not represent the religion, but they are actually muslims. Terrorism does not nullify their Islam.

OP, the lack of clergy is by design, as Islam when understood properly promotes individual freedom, not the subjugation of people.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
The problems stem at the Imam/Rabbi/Priest level.
You are correct; problems stem from Imam/Rabbi/Priest. This is why I have never learnt about Islam from any imam but tried myself to learn from the Qur'aan. I have no doubt that only the Qur'aan is the central authority for Islam. Even all the imams have to go by that authority and accept its authority in Islam.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:15 AM

21,353 posts, read 24,089,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
You are correct; problems stem from Imam/Rabbi/Priest. This is why I have never learnt about Islam from any imam but tried myself to learn from the Qur'aan. I have no doubt that only the Qur'aan is the central authority for Islam. Even all the imams have to go by that authority and accept its authority in Islam.
There is a saying related to the Quran that over 90% of Muslims cannot do. One must be able to read and understand the Quran so there is no loss in translations. What a Imam has to do and what he actually does is not always the same.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
There is a saying related to the Quran that over 90% of Muslims cannot do. One must be able to read and understand the Quran so there is no loss in translations. What a Imam has to do and what he actually does is not always the same.
Yes, you are correct once again.

There are many imams today who rely too much on hadith books than the Qur'aan. They keep reading the hadith books but do not study the Qur'aan in depth. There is a lot of junk in the hadith books that is attributed to the Prophet but could not have come from the Prophet. Yet, many imams keep repeating it without even thinking that it could not have come from the Prophet.

We have many translations of the Qur'aan that are accurate in many aspects. They differ only in some words that cannot be translated perfectly into another language. But one can still understand as to what that word means when taking all the translated words and the context into account. The main thing is desire on our part to understand and the effort by us in understanding the Qur'aan.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:46 PM

277 posts, read 98,398 times
Both Sunni and Shia Islam do have authoritative figures. The Twelver Shia have it great with leadership in their Ayatollahs. Even the Sunni have accredited Imams. Sunni Muslims have theological colleges/universities where they receive degrees in Islamic jurisprudence. The Sunni don't have a centralized religious hierarchy like the Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Churches, but they do have established and accredited religious scholarship. I used to believe that the Sunni kind of do their own thing, but the more I looked into this, I came to find otherwise.

For a long time, when the Ottoman Empire was around, Sunni Muslims often looked to the Turkish caliphate. Many Ottoman subjects came to resent the Caliphate because Turkish needs often came first compared to the Albanian, Bosnian, then Arab subjects. Even since then, Sunni Islam has lacked a central religious leader/guardian.

I am fascinated that Sunni Islam doesn't have a central religious hierarchy establishment. But, that does not mean it does not have its own Clergy and accredited scholars. You can't just claim to be an Imam without credentials. In Egypt, they have ancient and highly esteemed Sunni scholarship universities where you learn Sunni theology.

ISIL claims to be the reestablishment of the Sunni religious hierarchy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or