U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2017, 05:13 PM

165 posts, read 55,301 times

Advertisements

Israel was reestablished nearly 70 years ago now, and many Muslim majority countries still do not recognize Israel as a country for various reasons. The OIC(Organization of Islamic Cooperation) officially supports a two state solution. In 1948, and 1967 many Palestinians were forced from their homes. Most Muslim majority nations profess that, if Palestinians were allowed to return to their lands, nearly all Muslim majority countries would establish relations with Israel.

In Israel, only about 6.5 million Israelis are Jews. While over 2 million Israelis are Arabs. Many Jews have left Israel since its reestablishment in 1948. As many as 1.5 million Jewish Israelis are living abroad. The Arab population is growing faster than the Jewish population. If Israel continues to occupy the West Bank, and Palestinians are then allowed to return to their lands, Israel might cease to be a Jewish majority state.

Many speculate that Saudi Arabia, "the country containing the two holiest sites in Islam" has started secret relations with Israel. For reasons I don't understand, Saudi Arabia and Iran have poor relations with each-other. As of 2017, over a dozen Muslim majority nations have official relations with Israel; Albania, Turkey, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikstan, Jordan, Egypt, Azerbaijan, Bosnia, and the PLO. Will this list of recognition continue to grow, even though many Palestinians live in exile, and have their lands occupied?

Is the Sunni-Shia conflict really intertwined with the Arab-Israeli conflict?

I don't understand why Saudi Arabia and Iran have such poor relations. What is at the core of the Saudi-Iranian proxy conflicts throughout the world?

Shia only account for 10-15% of the global Muslim adherents. Yet, most Sunni Arab majority states seem to distrust Shia Iran for reasons I don't understand.

Also, why did Egypt and Jordan decide to establish relations with Israel?

Why is Hezbollah seen as a terrorist organization by Sunni Arab powers?

Who are the Houthis in relation to Saudi-Iranian proxy conflicts?

The US sees Hezbollah and Hamas as terrorist organizations. So, why do Hezbollah and Hamas oppose each-other over the Syrian civil war?

The Christian Maronite Catholics hold political, economic, and military power in Lebanon. And, the Maronites under president Aoun, have formed an alliance with Hezbollah. Prior to the Syrian Civil War, Catholics formed 30%(Maronites;22% Melkites;5% Armenian Catholics;2%) of Lebanon's population, and the Shia formed 30-35% of the Lebanese population. Nearly 2 million, mostly Sunni Muslim refugees have fled to Lebanon.

Is it possible that Lebanon may experience another civil war?

Hezbollah is often seen as more powerful than the Lebanese Armed Forces. Hezbollah may have up to 65,000 fighters, and they have quality Iranian equipment. The LAF can mobilize at most, 75,000 troops. Yet, the LAF is often thought to be less unified than Hezbollah. Some Israeli experts believe that Hezbollah is more powerful than most national militaries around the globe.

In Western media, the Sunni and Shia seem to be in great conflict with each-other. This Sunni-Shia conflict seems to be far bigger than the Arab-Israeli conflict. Why?

Iraqi Civil War is seen as Shia vs Sunni.
Syrian Civil War is often seen as Shia vs Sunni
Yemen Civil War is often seen as Shia vs Sunni
Bahrain Uprising is often seen as Shia vs Sunni
Saudi Arabia is often seen as oppressing the Shia
In Lebanon, Shia Alawites fight Sunnis in Tripoli

Last edited by AlwaysByChance; 06-09-2017 at 05:36 PM..

Old 06-09-2017, 08:23 PM
Status: "Winter is almost here. It's time for more holidays." (set 19 days ago)

3,107 posts, read 856,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysByChance View Post
Is the Sunni-Shia conflict really intertwined with the Arab-Israeli conflict?
No. It is much older than Arab Israeli conflict. Like Catholic Protestant conflict, Sunni Shia conflict is a result of the curse from Allah for breaking into sects when the command was to stay united as one brotherhood.

[5.14] And with those who say, We are Christians, We made a covenant, but they neglected a portion of what they were reminded of, therefore We excited among them enmity and hatred to the day of resurrection; and Allah will inform them of what they did.

Muslims haven't learnt from this verse and have neglected a portion of what they have been reminded of through the Qur'aan. Sunni Shia conflict is a curse and the result of them neglecting a portion of their covenant with Allah (SWT).

Allah does not treat people differently. His Sunnah never changes.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:31 PM

165 posts, read 55,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
No. It is much older than Arab Israeli conflict. Like Catholic Protestant conflict, Sunni Shia conflict is a result of the curse from Allah for breaking into sects when the command was to stay united as one brotherhood.

[5.14] And with those who say, We are Christians, We made a covenant, but they neglected a portion of what they were reminded of, therefore We excited among them enmity and hatred to the day of resurrection; and Allah will inform them of what they did.

Muslims haven't learnt from this verse and have neglected a portion of what they have been reminded of through the Qur'aan. Sunni Shia conflict is a curse and the result of them neglecting a portion of their covenant with Allah (SWT).

Allah does not treat people differently. His Sunnah never changes.
I see what you're saying. But, it still doesn't make sense to me. Let me put this way, "Catholics vs Orthodox vs Protestant" is easy for me to understand because I was raised from childhood to understand. In a nutshell, the Orthodox split from the Roman Pope in 1054CE over the authority of the pope. The Orthodox don't believe the Pope should have complete authority, simple enough for me to understand and I'm a simple-ton.

The Protestants broke from the Roman Church in the 16th century over the perceived abuse of Roman hierarchical authority in the Latin Church. Some of these divides are stil strong in Christianity, So much so that they have lead to violence, even today. But, the Islamic divide among Shia and Sunni is undoubtedly more ferocious as of late.

I've read that some Sunni don't believe Shia to be Muslims. I've read that some Sunni scholars believe that some Shia take their admiration for Ali and the Prophet Muhammad's family to far.

This Sunni-Shia divide seems to have started almost immediately after the death of their prophet.

I just can't rap my mind around it. It seems that some Shia sects like the Alawites and Druze have very unique belief systems. Some Sunni religious leadership argue if they are even Muslims.

The main point I'm trying to understand is not just the difference in practice but, also why the difference in theology too?

I've read that Twelver Shia allows temporary marriages, and many Sunni religious leaders attack them for this peculiar practice.

I've read that the "Fiver Shia" of Yemen, are very similar to the Sunni in practice and theology. The only difference is that they believe Ali should have taken over the Islamic community after the death of Muhammad.

I've read that Sevener Shia and Twelver Shia believe their Imams to be "perfect" individuals in some regards.
Why is this?

I've read this, and that, about the Shia and Sunni, but I still don't get it...

Iran and Saudi Arabia seem to agree on so much, so why the animosity?

Old 06-10-2017, 12:47 AM
Status: "Winter is almost here. It's time for more holidays." (set 19 days ago)

3,107 posts, read 856,514 times
The answer is in 5:14 (quoted in my last post, It is a curse for breaking the unity (brotherhood) commanded by God.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:32 AM

10,247 posts, read 10,357,027 times

Thread has nothing to do with the religion of Islam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or