Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 04:23 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,620,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
I don't know why anyone has to "attack" a different religion at all. If you don't believe it it, don't follow it.

Of course, I am not a member of any religion, so I guess I just don't get it.
I agree. I was raised Catholic, reverted to Islam, and I would never attack other religions. I was raised in a way where I respect others.

Besides some of my racist extended relatives, I've never witnessed anyone in person make fun of Mohammed (pbuh). I've seen it on TV, but I don't think a rational person would be petty enough to bash other faiths.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:35 PM

226 posts, read 161,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I agree. I was raised Catholic, reverted to Islam, and I would never attack other religions. I was raised in a way where I respect others.

Besides some of my racist extended relatives, I've never witnessed anyone in person make fun of Mohammed (pbuh). I've seen it on TV, but I don't think a rational person would be petty enough to bash other faiths.
I have already given a couple of reasons why you would attack another religion. It seems fairly "rational" behaviour to me. Of course attacking a religion for such and such reasons is not the same thing as mocking a religion for fun, or without serious purpose.

But anyway, we can make the point--

The quran spends quite a bit of time bashing other religions. I'm guessing you wouldn't think that Muhammad and "allah" are petty...

Old 06-24-2017, 06:00 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProcess View Post
I suggest you aren't taking religion very seriously.

There are a couple of obvious reasons why you might attack another religion:

(1) You think the other religion is false, and want this exposed so people are more likely to find religious truth.

(2) You think the other religion is inspiring such and such harms to the world. You want this exposed, so those harms are less likely to happen. So you can't just be "tolerant" of a religion if it's causing all sorts of chaos and damage and oppression in the world. Rather, you would try to undermine such a religion, and/or prevent that religion from having as much negative impact on the world.
I am a strong believer that the best way to handle a religion one disagree with is by showing the advantages of your belief, not by attacking those you disagree with.

Succumbing to reasons to attack such as 1 & 2 are counter productive. Attempting to force someone to accept Islam is not only forbidden it is an impossibility. One can only revert to Islam through their own free will and informed choice. The way to do that is to live a life as a Muslim and to perform Islam in a manner your enemies would desire to emulate.

Old 06-24-2017, 07:26 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,086,525 times
Quote:
You should attack a subsequent religion if you think it's inconsistent with the base religion. Of course there may be other reasons to attack.
And why is it necessary to "attack" the subsequent religion? Why do you think this way?

Should Hindus attack Judiasm since Jews came after? I mean seriously, how evil is your approach to justify an attack on Islam by the Jews and Christian, because Islam is a "subsequent" religion?

Old 06-24-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
And why is it necessary to "attack" the subsequent religion? Why do you think this way?

Should Hindus attack Judiasm since Jews came after? I mean seriously, how evil is your approach to justify an attack on Islam by the Jews and Christian, because Islam is a "subsequent" religion?

Hinduism is in a different tradition to Judaism. Judaism doesn't claim to follow on from it, so it's a different situation from what I'm talking about really. Of course a Hindu is still free to harshly criticize Judaism if they wish.

Why would attacking a religion be an "evil" thing?

If a Muslim, or claimed Muslim, comes along saying to be a new prophet with a new divine message that many Muslims think goes against the quran, it would be "evil" to attack them over this? The point Muslims would make, is that the supposed new message doesn't fit with the quran and Islam and so can't really follow on from it. They would basically be in a position of attacking this claimed Muslim as being a false prophet. Or you think Muslims would just politely ignore such claims to have a new revelation to add to the quran?

The quran contains a lot of bashing of other religions and other religious believers. (Whether fair or not.) It's difficult to see how Muslims can object when a Jew or Christian decides to bash Islam?

And why shouldn't you attack a religion if you happen to think it's false? False religions should just be politely accepted? We shouldn't upset people by telling them their religion is wrong?

Old 06-24-2017, 10:50 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,620,948 times
I actually don't attack other faiths because I live in a multi-faith household. I still live with my Catholic father and atheist mother. My mother hates religion, so we often do not talk about it. My dad accepts Islam because he doesn't see it that radically different from his beliefs. He believes humanity is more important than religion and he doesn't talk much in the way of religion. We get along.

I don't agree with Catholicism, but I will not attack those in my family that still believe in it, as the ones who do not agree with my conversion will attack me. At the end of the day, we still are family. We might discuss and I might teach them about my beliefs

Old 06-24-2017, 11:15 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
All I know is when I worked in a restaurant one of the servers saw a homeless man sit at his station and order just water. So the server ordered the homeless man a full meal and served it to him, paying for it out of his pocket.

The server was a Muslim.

Then we got the Christian groups in there who stiffed us on the tips.

Put that in the pages of your Book of Life.

Old 06-25-2017, 02:49 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,060,806 times
Quote:
I suggest you aren't taking religion very seriously.

(1) You think the other religion is false, and want this exposed so people are more likely to find religious truth.

(2) You think the other religion is inspiring such and such harms to the world. You want this exposed, so those harms are less likely to happen. So you can't just be "tolerant" of a religion if it's causing all sorts of chaos and damage and oppression in the world. Rather, you would try to undermine such a religion, and/or prevent that religion from having as much negative impact on the world.
You are right. I don't take it seriously. Many people do. I am not a member of any religion. I would be against violence and/or human rights violations, whether or not they were incited by or supported by or related to any religion--I don't care what excuses people have for it. Violence is enough in itself to warrant "intolerance".

Last edited by Gusano; 06-25-2017 at 03:02 AM..

Old 06-25-2017, 04:30 AM

3,640 posts, read 41,086 times
Quote:
You should attack a subsequent religion if you think it's inconsistent with the base religion. Of course there may be other reasons to attack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
What is "base religion"?
Quote:
If you follow a certain religion like Christianity, then the Bible and orthodox Christian doctrines, will be your "base religion".
In that case, the "base religion" of Islam is the Qur'aan and "submission" by obeying God. It is the same religion as of Adam, Noah and Abraham. It is tradition of Abraham of obeying God. A Jew or a Christian attacking it would be attacking his own religion.

Quote:
Anyone that comes along claiming to be a prophet in that tradition, will have to be consistent with the earlier sources, and will be judged against those earlier sources.
What if those "sources" were saying the same thing; obey God?

Quote:

Why should it bother you whether that religion is false if your own religion is true? Should you not be concerned about expressing truth of your religion? That would be a positive thing to do to counteract the other religion.

Quote:
(2) You think the other religion is inspiring such and such harms to the world. You want this exposed, so those harms are less likely to happen.
The criticism has to be constructive and able to stand their ground when challenged. So far, these have failed because nothing has stopped the advancement of Islam.

Quote:
So you can't just be "tolerant" of a religion if it's causing all sorts of chaos and damage and oppression in the world. Rather, you would try to undermine such a religion, and/or prevent that religion from having as much negative impact on the world.
Try as much as you like, the true religion will never be undermined.

The religion's strength is the Qur'aan:

[41.42] Falsehood shall not come to it from before it nor from behind it; a revelation from the Wise, the Praised One.

[41.43] Naught is said to you but what was said indeed to the messengers before you; surely your Lord is the Lord of forgiveness and the Lord of painful retribution.

As there is nothing new in the religion that wasn't said to the previous messenger, this religion has to be true if the previous messengers and religions were true.

Old 06-25-2017, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
All I know is when I worked in a restaurant one of the servers saw a homeless man sit at his station and order just water. So the server ordered the homeless man a full meal and served it to him, paying for it out of his pocket.

The server was a Muslim.

Then we got the Christian groups in there who stiffed us on the tips.

Put that in the pages of your Book of Life.
A Muslim did something nice and Christians didn't tip you?

Ok, but this tells us next to nothing about religion yes?

Mormons may be wonderful people and do a lot of charity work. They still have a very questionable religion that is inconsistent with Christianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam