U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 09:53 AM

226 posts, read 123,752 times

Advertisements

I'm continuing something from a closed thread. As far as I know, there was nothing "banned" about this particular line of conversation.

GoCardinals
What you may want to admire instead is that there are 100 AND MILLIONS of news articles, books, blogs tv program, reports etc by the Christians AND the Jews, attacking Muhammad (saw), the prophet of Islam; however, there isn't any attempt by a Muslim trying to humiliate the prophet of Jews and/or "god" of Christians.

It will require a little wisdom to acknowledge this tolerance and respect by Muslims towards the holy figures of Jews of Christians, in contrast to how some Jews and some Christians treat the prophet of Muslims.

TheProcess
It's a completely different situation.

Think of Christianity. They will not attack Judaism's prophets, because of course the Old Testament, as Christians call it, is also a part of the Christian religion. So attacking it would make no sense... It would be attacking your own religion.

But from the Jewish perspective, Christians don't really follow the Torah etc. Rather, the Christians have hijacked and misused Jewish scripture in fabricating their own religion.

Jews *have to* object to this, as the validity of their own religion is at stake. Of course some Jews will be more polite about it. And some will be more willing to make strong attacks against Jesus and the early Christians.

So that's a similar situation with Islam. Of course Muslims aren't going to attack Jesus. Or if they did, it would be inconsistent with their own religion. On the other hand, Christians have to reject Muhammad because the validity of the Christian religion is at stake.

It's not "tolerance" that Muslims will be respectful of Jesus. From a Christian perspective, it could easily be seen that the Islamic religion has hijacked and misused Jesus etc for its own reasons. It's a way of pretending to have ancient roots when you are trying to fabricate a new religion.

Anyway, I'm sure we can find many cases of Islam/Muslims not being very tolerant of Jews and Christians, regardless of it being "tolerant" of Jewish and Christian prophets.

GoCardinals
So going by your logic, the Jews are rebellious branch of the group that followed Abraham. And the followers of Abraham are a rebellious branch the group that followed Noah? And hence the followers of Noah should attack Abraham, and the followers of Abraham should attack Moses. I mean seriously... your logic has no class. Disgraceful and disrespectful.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:55 AM

You should attack a subsequent religion if you think it's inconsistent with the base religion. Of course there may be other reasons to attack.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:49 AM

2,826 posts, read 1,867,213 times
Typically responding to a closed thread is a good way to get the thread closed again. Just saying.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:49 AM

Yes, but the thread was never closed because of this conversation being "bad". Rather, I think it was closed because it had gone off topic. And if I start a new thread for something, it's no longer off topic.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:05 PM

The important point here, is that Muslims aren't being "generous" or "tolerant" to Christians when they refrain from attacking Jesus. Rather, they have to be nice about Jesus because otherwise they would be attacking their own religion! Of course they aren't going to attack their own religion in that sort of way.

Christians and Jews, however, have the option of attacking Muhammad because Muhammad isn't a part of their religions.

Should they give strong criticisms of Muhammad? Well if Jews and Christians see Islam as a false religion, and as a religion with bad consequences for the world, then there are arguable lines of justification for giving strong criticisms of Muhammad and Islam.

Old 06-24-2017, 01:07 PM

Imagine a Muslim came along, saying he was a "prophet" or whatever else, and had a new revelation to add to the quran. And this new "revelation" just happened to completely contradict Islamic orthodoxy in its message. (I suspect even claiming to have more revelation may contradict islamic orthodoxy but anyway.)

Would Muslims not denounce such a "prophet" with a different message that contradicts orthodox Islam? Would they not attack such a person?

It's the same, I think, with Christians. They are likely to denounce anyone that brings a new message that contradicts orthodox Christianity.

Old 06-24-2017, 01:22 PM

1,527 posts, read 635,298 times
I don't know why anyone has to "attack" a different religion at all. If you don't believe it it, don't follow it.

Of course, I am not a member of any religion, so I guess I just don't get it.

Old 06-24-2017, 01:30 PM

3,167 posts, read 1,040,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProcess View Post
You should attack a subsequent religion if you think it's inconsistent with the base religion. Of course there may be other reasons to attack.
What is "base religion"?

Old 06-24-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
What is "base religion"?
If you follow a certain religion like Christianity, then the Bible and orthodox Christian doctrines, will be your "base religion".

Anyone that comes along claiming to be a prophet in that tradition, will have to be consistent with the earlier sources, and will be judged against those earlier sources.

Old 06-24-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
I don't know why anyone has to "attack" a different religion at all. If you don't believe it it, don't follow it.

Of course, I am not a member of any religion, so I guess I just don't get it.
I suggest you aren't taking religion very seriously.

There are a couple of obvious reasons why you might attack another religion:

(1) You think the other religion is false, and want this exposed so people are more likely to find religious truth.

(2) You think the other religion is inspiring such and such harms to the world. You want this exposed, so those harms are less likely to happen. So you can't just be "tolerant" of a religion if it's causing all sorts of chaos and damage and oppression in the world. Rather, you would try to undermine such a religion, and/or prevent that religion from having as much negative impact on the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam