U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 09:53 PM

1,883 posts, read 1,651,007 times

Advertisements

The saying after sneezing
The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) ordered us to say to the one who sneeze and praises Allah (by saying
“al-hamdu lillah (praise be to Allah”)
then one of those who are present must say to him

Yarhamuk Allaah (may Allah have mercy on you)
Abu Moosa (may Allah be pleased with him) said:
I heard the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) say:
“When one of you sneezes and praises Allaah, then say Yarhamuk Allaah to him, but if he does not praise Allaah, then do not say it to him.”
and if no one blessed him then all of them are considred sinners in this matter

but if the one who sneeze does not praises Allah (by saying “al-hamdu lillah (praise be to Allah”) then we should not bless him but it is better to remind him to say
“al-hamdu lillah (praise be to Allah) so we can bless him.

and if some one sneeze more than three time we do not have to bless him but we have the option

The Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said:
“The one who sneezes may be told Yarhamuk-Allaah three times; if he sneezes more than that, he has a cold.

in Islam every thing regarding life is mentioned in The Holy Quran or in The Prophet saying (Hadith)
There is not a moving (living) creature on earth, nor a bird that flies with its two wings, but are communities like you. We have neglected nothing in the Book, then unto their Lord they (all) shall be gathered. The Holy Quran.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 08:57 AM

1,667 posts, read 1,868,226 times
The saying after sneezing is: God Bless You!!

Old 08-01-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
The saying after sneezing is: God Bless You!!
was that instructed by Moses or Jesus or other prophets.?

Old 08-03-2017, 09:48 AM

56,005 posts, read 54,523,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post
was that instructed by Moses or Jesus or other prophets.?
No. It comes from old superstitions that when a person sneezed their heart stops for a moment or that evil spirits can enter the body at the time of the sneezing. "God Bless You" was sort of a superstitious way to ward off this imaginary evil.

Now nobody believes those things anymore, but it's just considered polite in our society. People say it automatically. Some people use the German term "Gesundheit" {meaning "health") instead. The Jehovah's Witnesses sect will not say "God Bless You", because they feel since that it comes from superstition and not the Bible, they should avoid it.

Thank you for sharing your own cultural response to a sneeze. That was interesting.

I work for Muslims. Perhaps I will use that phrase the next time I sneeze at work just to surprise them.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:18 PM

you are welcome and thank you for your rich comments and in my opinion because this is mentioned as part of our religion
I think it is also mentioned in the Jews and the Christian religion but they have lost the record.

the source of Islam and Jews and Christianity is Allah
and the main message for all of them it believe in Allah the only god and to worship him alone and obey him ,
in other word to submit to him and that is Islam and in another word all the religion of Allah is Islam.

and we are saying this statement since 630 A.D and I would like know if Jews and Christians start to say before that date or after.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
you are welcome and thank you for your rich comments and in my opinion because this is mentioned as part of our religion
I think it is also mentioned in the Jews and the Christian religion but they have lost the record.

the source of Islam and Jews and Christianity is Allah
and the main message for all of them it believe in Allah the only god and to worship him alone and obey him ,
in other word to submit to him and that is Islam and in another word all the religion of Allah is Islam.

and we are saying this statement since 630 A.D and I would like know if Jews and Christians start to say before that date or after.
https://www.gotquestions.org/God-bless-you-sneeze.html

Re the bolded part, yes. I would like us to concentrate on what we have in common rather than our differences.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:09 AM

The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) said
Allah likes sneezing and dislikes yawning,
so if someone sneezes and then praises Allah, then it is obligatory on every Muslim who heard him, to say:
May Allah be merciful to you (Yar-hamuka-l-lah).
But as regards yawning, it is from Satan,
so one must try one's best to stop it, if one says 'Ha' when yawning, Satan will laugh at him

Old 08-11-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Allah likes sneezing and dislikes yawning,
so if someone sneezes and then praises Allah, then it is obligatory on every Muslim who heard him, to say:
May Allah be merciful to you (Yar-hamuka-l-lah).
But as regards yawning, it is from Satan,
so one must try one's best to stop it, if one says 'Ha' when yawning, Satan will laugh at him
That is funny. I never heard anyone say yawning is from Satan before. Not really a good idea to try to stifle a yawn, as it's a natural reaction to our bodies needing air. However, someone yawning while you are speaking seems rude because it appears they are bored, so sometimes it is best to try to control it.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:03 PM

the idea is not to produce sound and not to open the mouth as much as he is able

and if he could not have his mouth closed then he should cover his mouth with his hands

"If any of you yawns, let him cover his mouth lest the Shaytaan enter."
"Sneezing is from Allaah and yawning is from Shaytaan. If any of you yawns, let him place his hand over his mouth. If he says ‘Ah, ah!’ (makes a noise when yawning), Shaytaan laughs from inside him."

Old 08-11-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
the idea is not to produce sound and not to open the mouth as much as he is able

and if he could not have his mouth closed then he should cover his mouth with his hands

"If any of you yawns, let him cover his mouth lest the Shaytaan enter."
"Sneezing is from Allaah and yawning is from Shaytaan. If any of you yawns, let him place his hand over his mouth. If he says ‘Ah, ah!’ (makes a noise when yawning), Shaytaan laughs from inside him."
It is considered polite even for non-religious people to cover their mouths when they yawn. It is interesting, though, that the idea was to not let the Shaytaan enter. Thank you for sharing information about your religion. truth_teller. I like to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam