Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 12:34 PM

88,516 posts, read 84,705,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
First of all, it is important to understand one's own religion. Then it is also important to understand others' religion if we are to live and interact with each other peacefully.

I wasn't born in the West but have lived here for over half a century. I have studied the Qur'an as well as read the Torah and the Gospels. This has helped me to find the common ground between Muslims, Christians and the Jewish faith.

People should not try to find the differences before finding the common ground.
Repeat as often as necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
You should. It's always good to find common ground and find ways to live in peace and harmony between all faiths.

I personally grew up in an English missionary school where we had a Church within our school.
We were kids and there was no difference between a Muslim and Christian. We used to play and study together. We even went to the Church with my Christian friends.

Even today, we have monthly interfaith meetings between Christians, Muslims and Jewish communities where I live.

A positive mindset towards other faiths is where it starts to join hands and fight the evil.
I would like to find a similar organization where I am. I know there is one in a different part of the state because a former coworker who is Muslim told me her parents are active in it.

And that last sentence is something I have been yelling since September 11, 2001. Glad to see someone else is, too.

Old 12-19-2017, 04:36 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,619,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You would be mistaken, jess. The Christian churches that "allow" it, as you put it, do so because we don't believe one's sexuality is reflective of anything different from the color of your eyes or your ability to lift heavy things. It's what you were born with. We don't believe that God is particularly concerned with people's physical attributes, including their sexual orientation, but rather with what type of people they are or strive to be.

It's not a matter of "allowing". It's a matter of acceptance and inclusion because we believe that's what Jesus taught us to do. And it certainly has nothing to do with "trying to get more members". That's rather insulting, and frankly, I'm surprised to hear such a disparaging assessment of other people coming from you.
I'm asexual, I don't like either men or women and I don't plan on getting married. I don't dare tell this to others because I know a lot of Muslims would have an issue with this. I know there are no nuns in Islam, but I would prefer to stay celibate.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:42 AM

3,640 posts, read 40,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I'm asexual, I don't like either men or women and I don't plan on getting married. I don't dare tell this to others because I know a lot of Muslims would have an issue with this. I know there are no nuns in Islam, but I would prefer to stay celibate.
There are quite a few Muslim men and women who have never married throughout their life for one reason or the other. There is no issue in Islam about not being married.

As for celibacy, a deliberate action of denying oneself any action of sexual nature that is not forbidden in religion, it is not part of Islam. As for as I understand, it is not commanded in Christianity either. Monasticism (rahbāniyyat) is not commanded but is innovated.

Old 12-20-2017, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
There are quite a few Muslim men and women who have never married throughout their life for one reason or the other. There is no issue in Islam about not being married.

As for celibacy, a deliberate action of denying oneself any action of sexual nature that is not forbidden in religion, it is not part of Islam. As for as I understand, it is not commanded in Christianity either. Monasticism (rahbāniyyat) is not commanded but is innovated.
I guess I am not celibate, I just prefer not to have sexual relations. I don't want anyone to touch me.

I can't also have children - medical issues - and would prefer not be touched either.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
OK, and I am glad you know and are accepting of yourself as you are, but you seem to have missed the point I was making in the post. Christians who welcome LBGTQ people are not just trying to boost membership, which is what you claimed.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
OK, and I am glad you know and are accepting of yourself as you are, but you seem to have missed the point I was making in the post. Christians who welcome LBGTQ people are not just trying to boost membership, which is what you claimed.
My apologies. Growing up with old-fashioned Italian people, they were very against gay people. Honestly, going to my cousin's wedding will be my first time in a church in 10 years. I'm not really quite sure how things have changed since I converted.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
My apologies. Growing up with old-fashioned Italian people, they were very against gay people. Honestly, going to my cousin's wedding will be my first time in a church in 10 years. I'm not really quite sure how things have changed since I converted.
Well, some churches still are against gay people, obviously, but others, like the ECLA and the Episcopal Church, the Quakers, some of the Methodists, and others specifically stood up and continue to stand up for gay rights. I don't see how you could have possibly missed that whether you go to a church or not. Jeez, we've made the news many times, and not always favorably, for ordaining gay priests for the past thirty years and for allowing same-sex marriages. IIRC, you're in the Philadelphia area, so I am surprised you don't know that.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:01 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,069,432 times
The thing to keep in mind is Muslims are individuals. There is no living centralized leader of Islam. A Muslim does not belong to an organization clled Islam, they perform the action of Islam. One need not fear Islam anymore than they need fear the word Monotheism. However, like all people Muslims can be either good or bad. Anyone can call them self Muslim (no membership required) but that does not mean they are performing Islam.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:13 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,084,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
The thing to keep in mind is Muslims are individuals. There is no living centralized leader of Islam. A Muslim does not belong to an organization clled Islam, they perform the action of Islam. One need not fear Islam anymore than they need fear the word Monotheism. However, like all people Muslims can be either good or bad. Anyone can call them self Muslim (no membership required) but that does not mean they are performing Islam.
And it also means that this person's actions do not necessarily represent the entire Muslim population of the world and/or this person's action represent the message of Islam.

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 12-29-2017 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: EDITED: added BOLD part at request of poster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam