U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 09:14 AM

13,107 posts, read 24,907,607 times

Advertisements

Ok really dumb questions now..but I have no idea of why so that is why I am asking?
Why must muslim women keep their head covered with a scarf (hajib??)

Why do muslim men wash their feet before prayer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 09:37 AM

6,987 posts, read 15,491,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Agree!! But they sure are giving the rest of the Muslim world/ Islam a bad name.
I know there are different ethic groups as well..Pashtuns who I believe are Sunni and Hazara which I believe are Shi...from what I've read the Taliban is mainly comprised of Pashtuns..correct me if I am wrong

Ahhh more wars and more blood has been shed over time in the name of God then any other reason I think.....He can't be to happy with us humans
Well we are getting off from religion with the whole Afghanistan thing but that was ethnic, not so much religious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Ok really dumb questions now..but I have no idea of why so that is why I am asking?
Why must muslim women keep their head covered with a scarf (hajib??)

Why do muslim men wash their feet before prayer
Women cover their hair to be modest. Like how women in Sicily used to do back in the days, or how those Polish women wear it. Orthodox Jewish women also are supposed to wear a scarf as well. It is just for modesty.

Washing feet is a part of a process called Wudhu, which I don't know what that is in English. But what you do is, you wash key parts of your body before you pray. This way you can be clean/pure when offering prayer to God.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:31 PM

8 posts, read 14,337 times
Post Muslims and Loyalty

Long Question:
Recently I read the Quran through a few times (admittedly in English) to understand better. I have not understood it completely but am still working on it (life is full of many things). I read some things which suggest that Muslims should be considering truly faithful and sincere Christians and Jews who are not attacking them who are seeking a better understanding of God to be people who they should be wanting treatment for them as though they were themselves, though of course, not subjecting themselves to their beliefs, rather the reverse. Yet, in practicality, I see very educated Muslim scholars seeming to say that they see it as more godly to defend a rapist,premarital sex engaging, man who beats his animals and wife unfairly, man who happens to be Arab and from a Muslim country (and of course ascribes himself Muslim, but acts in accordance with the Quran as much as a man walking into a garage resembles a car) liar and hypocrite, and for his behalf to attack and even to kill a sincere Christian or Jew who is pursuing understanding of God (and may not yet be finished). In addition I see promoted in many places an outright hatred of all Jews and Christians with norespect for their sincerety or anything,even though it seems that the Prophet in the Quran does not promote this at all. It seems as though familial and tribal relationships are more important than understanding Allah or being in accordance with the words of the Prophet for most Muslims, even in accordance with law.
Am I misunderstanding the Quran inthis area? Or misunderstanding the Muslim cleric's words? Or misreading what appears to be being said in the media about the attitudes of Muslim communities in the world?
On the same note, it appears that Muslims will preserve family and tribal relationships over adherance to Allah in most cases, thereby sponsoring all kinds of adultery and hypocracy within their ranks, and this is promoted as godly. It appears to be less related to Islam and Allah and more to an inherent tribalism from that region,is this so?

Old 09-25-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sana99 View Post
Long Question:
Recently I read the Quran through a few times (admittedly in English) to understand better. I have not understood it completely but am still working on it (life is full of many things). I read some things which suggest that Muslims should be considering truly faithful and sincere Christians and Jews who are not attacking them who are seeking a better understanding of God to be people who they should be wanting treatment for them as though they were themselves, though of course, not subjecting themselves to their beliefs, rather the reverse. Yet, in practicality, I see very educated Muslim scholars seeming to say that they see it as more godly to defend a rapist,premarital sex engaging, man who beats his animals and wife unfairly, man who happens to be Arab and from a Muslim country (and of course ascribes himself Muslim, but acts in accordance with the Quran as much as a man walking into a garage resembles a car) liar and hypocrite, and for his behalf to attack and even to kill a sincere Christian or Jew who is pursuing understanding of God (and may not yet be finished). In addition I see promoted in many places an outright hatred of all Jews and Christians with norespect for their sincerety or anything,even though it seems that the Prophet in the Quran does not promote this at all. It seems as though familial and tribal relationships are more important than understanding Allah or being in accordance with the words of the Prophet for most Muslims, even in accordance with law.
Am I misunderstanding the Quran inthis area? Or misunderstanding the Muslim cleric's words? Or misreading what appears to be being said in the media about the attitudes of Muslim communities in the world?
On the same note, it appears that Muslims will preserve family and tribal relationships over adherance to Allah in most cases, thereby sponsoring all kinds of adultery and hypocracy within their ranks, and this is promoted as godly. It appears to be less related to Islam and Allah and more to an inherent tribalism from that region,is this so?
I am sorry. I want to respond but your question isn't clear the way you have posed it

Old 09-25-2008, 03:45 PM

285 posts, read 503,121 times
I know I know ....

Islam is bad and Christians are good, no wait ....

Or is it, Christians are bad and Islam is good...

Oh man I forgot, which one of you is going to hell again?

Old 09-25-2008, 03:49 PM

1,897 posts, read 3,096,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahteist2 View Post
I know I know ....

Islam is bad and Christians are good, no wait ....

Or is it, Christians are bad and Islam is good...

Oh man I forgot, which one of you is going to hell again?
You!

Preterist

Old 09-25-2008, 04:57 PM

8 posts, read 14,337 times
Default Restatement

Attempting to restate my question more clearly.

1.It appears that the Quran says that a certain degree of brotherhood is due to sincere followers of God in Judaism and Christianity as long as they are not attacking Muslims for unjust reasons, though one should not place themselves in submission to them but neither are they enemies.
2. It appears that many Middle Eastern Muslim clerics recommend defending ethnic Arabs or hypocrites (people who claim to be Muslim but knowingly act in direct contradiction to Allah at almost all times and violate their neighbors and hopes for religious homogenity and sincerety in the process) and treating them as brothers.
3. It appears that many Muslim clerics recommend attacking ethnic Jews and Christians and treating them as enemies regardless of their sincerety, service or position to God or lack of danger.
4. It appears that the Quran recommends distancing oneself from even close relatives who are choosing to violate the will of Allah, and choosing as companions instead those who are sincere servants.

Therefore: It appears that the Middle Eastern Muslim Clerics who recommend this are defiant to Allah and instead acting and speaking in accordance with tribal and ethnic traditions and culture which have little to do with sincere Islam.

Question: Does the Quran really say that (it seemed to when I put together a number of verses on the subjects)?

Question: Am I understanding the overall gist of the clerics correctly?
(I know I have not mentioned specific ones but it seemed that there was an overall continuity of them so certainly you have heard of some in the news also who SEEM at least to be saying that)

Old 09-26-2008, 06:58 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,040,379 times
Quote:

1.It appears that the Quran says that a certain degree of brotherhood is due to sincere followers of God in Judaism and Christianity as long as they are not attacking Muslims for unjust reasons, though one should not place themselves in submission to them but neither are they enemies.
2. It appears that many Middle Eastern Muslim clerics recommend defending ethnic Arabs or hypocrites (people who claim to be Muslim but knowingly act in direct contradiction to Allah at almost all times and violate their neighbors and hopes for religious homogenity and sincerety in the process) and treating them as brothers.
3. It appears that many Muslim clerics recommend attacking ethnic Jews and Christians and treating them as enemies regardless of their sincerety, service or position to God or lack of danger.
4. It appears that the Quran recommends distancing oneself from even close relatives who are choosing to violate the will of Allah, and choosing as companions instead those who are sincere servants.

Therefore: It appears that the Middle Eastern Muslim Clerics who recommend this are defiant to Allah and instead acting and speaking in accordance with tribal and ethnic traditions and culture which have little to do with sincere Islam.

Question: Does the Quran really say that (it seemed to when I put together a number of verses on the subjects)?

(I know I have not mentioned specific ones but it seemed that there was an overall continuity of them so certainly you have heard of some in the news also who SEEM at least to be saying that)
it will be very hard to answer your questions with your general understanding for some clerics , clerics has different openions .
it will be more easier if you specified the verses you asking about

Old 09-26-2008, 07:07 AM

Quote:

1.It appears that the Quran says that a certain degree of brotherhood is due to sincere followers of God in Judaism and Christianity as long as they are not attacking Muslims for unjust reasons, though one should not place themselves in submission to them but neither are they enemies. correct, Christians, Jews, sabians (Zoroastrians) are ahl al kitab or people of the book. A good Christian, Jew or Zoroastrian should be respected and if they live in the Islamic state they are to be protected.
2. It appears that many Middle Eastern Muslim clerics recommend defending ethnic Arabs or hypocrites (people who claim to be Muslim but knowingly act in direct contradiction to Allah at almost all times and violate their neighbors and hopes for religious homogenity and sincerety in the process) and treating them as brothers. Can you show us these clerics and their rulings that supposedly state what you are claiming?
3. It appears that many Muslim clerics recommend attacking ethnic Jews and Christians and treating them as enemies regardless of their sincerety, service or position to God or lack of danger. Can you show us these clerics please
4. It appears that the Quran recommends distancing oneself from even close relatives who are choosing to violate the will of Allah, and choosing as companions instead those who are sincere servants. You should distance yourself from those who do bad of course. But you are not allowed to cut family ties. Even when Prophet Muhammad was being persecuted by many in his own family he did not cut ties with them and always tried to send good tidings on them. Abu Bakr's aunt asked him to do wrong many times because she hated Islam and although he respected and loved her he did not do what she asked him too.

Therefore: It appears that the Middle Eastern Muslim Clerics who recommend this are defiant to Allah and instead acting and speaking in accordance with tribal and ethnic traditions and culture which have little to do with sincere Islam. If what you say is true then yes, they are not advocating Islam but instead advocating their own wishs.

(I know I have not mentioned specific ones but it seemed that there was an overall continuity of them so certainly you have heard of some in the news also who SEEM at least to be saying that) I have never heard of anything like what you have said personally, no. If you can give specific clerics that would help
my answers are in bold.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:20 AM

4,500 posts, read 2,602,449 times
Some people ask about the significant of ramadan , so you have to talk about it .. it is very important .
A few christian people know it of course , but they are so cultivated .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or