U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 12:24 AM

3,167 posts, read 1,040,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
My boss and her husband are Muslims. He drinks and I think beats her. How does Islam address those issues?
I am a Muslim. I don't drink alcohol; never have. I have never beaten my wife. We have been married for 49 years.

If your husband of your boss drinks alcohol and beats her, he is Muslim in name only and not sticking to Islamic principles.

Quote:
My feeling is that Islamic women do not have rights; even when they are American citizens in the US - but I could be wrong and that is why I am asking the question. Please correct me if I have false assumptions.
They have rights. And they should exercise those rights in US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 05:16 AM

14,428 posts, read 11,737,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
I am a Muslim. I don't drink alcohol; never have. I have never beaten my wife. We have been married for 49 years.

If your husband of your boss drinks alcohol and beats her, he is Muslim in name only and not sticking to Islamic principles.

They have rights. And they should exercise those rights in US.
Many Christians will turn to their church for guidance. When she has come to work, with a black eye, I have asked her if she can turn to her religion for help and she acts reluctant to do so. It could be more of a deep seated problem where she is afraid of retaliation in her native country against family or relatives if she would go to the authorities or her religious leaders? I really do not know.

Congratulations on your 49 years! We still have almost a year to go to 50.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:37 AM

4,431 posts, read 1,649,750 times
Quote:
Many Christians will turn to their church for guidance. When she has come to work, with a black eye, I have asked her if she can turn to her religion for help and she acts reluctant to do so. It could be more of a deep seated problem where she is afraid of retaliation in her native country against family or relatives if she would go to the authorities or her religious leaders? I really do not know.

so it's only the MUSLIM women who come to work with black eye and it's ONLY Muslim men who drink?

I mean how rudimentary is your approach?

IMO, it basically requires two brain cells and iota of common sense to figure that, whether it's a group doctors, engineers, policemen, teachers, Muslims, Christians, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, men, women,neighbors, etc, you will ALWAYS find a shade of gray. There are good and there are bad ones, in EVERY group, why because? They are humans. Did anyone tell you that ALL Muslims are sinless angels?

Here is the counter question to you since you said you are an Atheist.

How come his believe in Atheism did not help stop Stephen Paddock in doing what he did in Las Vegas?

Old 10-17-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
If she is here in the West, she must exercise her right not to be abused. It's called domestic violence at least here in the UK. I should imagine it would be the same in the USA. Giving one's wife a black eye is not allowed either in religion nor in the criminal law. It must be reported if it is to be stopped.

My niece in another city was seen to be getting weak and pale when she took her child to school. Her child's teacher noticed that all may not be well with her. She (the teacher) reported to the police and her husband was taken to the police station for questioning. The husband has since then begun to treat her a lot better. She was being abused mentally and made to do a lot of work as well as look after children and cook for in-laws too. The mother-in-law was using my niece as her servant rather than her daughter-in-law. A warning from the police has worked in that case.

I can't stand husbands who abuse their wives. It's a cowardly act and must be stopped. Wife is the best friend a man can hope for as often she will be the only person with him in thick and thin during his lifetime.

Situation in her native country may be different. People there often do not enforce the law. Police might be corrupt or judge may be corrupt too. She can call people from her community but often people do not get involved in domestic matters. At one time, Mosques and Fridays were used to solve community problems in Islamic countries. That's why the mosques were called "Islamic Centres" Things have changed for the worse.

Her best option is to seek protection from the law of the country she is living in. Once the authorities get hold of her husband for abuse, he will soon get the message. In Islam, the wife can't turn the other cheek (or the other eye), she must take the legal course against her husband. She has the right to do so.

Quote:
Congratulations to you too. 49 years ago seems like yesterday but 50 is a milestone for any couple's marriage.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:31 AM

17,197 posts, read 13,747,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post

How come his believe in Atheism did not help stop Stephen Paddock in doing what he did in Las Vegas?
How does one believe in atheism? -isn't that like saying he believes in disbelief?

Is there any proof that he was an atheist?

Old 10-17-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
If she is here in the West, she must exercise her right not to be abused. It's called domestic violence at least here in the UK. I should imagine it would be the same in the USA. Giving one's wife a black eye is not allowed either in religion nor in the criminal law. It must be reported if it is to be stopped.

My niece in another city was seen to be getting weak and pale when she took her child to school. Her child's teacher noticed that all may not be well with her. She (the teacher) reported to the police and her husband was taken to the police station for questioning. The husband has since then begun to treat her a lot better. She was being abused mentally and made to do a lot of work as well as look after children and cook for in-laws too. The mother-in-law was using my niece as her servant rather than her daughter-in-law. A warning from the police has worked in that case.

I can't stand husbands who abuse their wives. It's a cowardly act and must be stopped. Wife is the best friend a man can hope for as often she will be the only person with him in thick and thin during his lifetime.

Situation in her native country may be different. People there often do not enforce the law. Police might be corrupt or judge may be corrupt too. She can call people from her community but often people do not get involved in domestic matters. At one time, Mosques and Fridays were used to solve community problems in Islamic countries. That's why the mosques were called "Islamic Centres" Things have changed for the worse.

Her best option is to seek protection from the law of the country she is living in. Once the authorities get hold of her husband for abuse, he will soon get the message. In Islam, the wife can't turn the other cheek (or the other eye), she must take the legal course against her husband. She has the right to do so.

Congratulations to you too. 49 years ago seems like yesterday but 50 is a milestone for any couple's marriage.
I understand that; but what seems simple is not always simple. Fear of the unknown sometimes is greater than the fear of what people should fear.

The attitude in our Country has changed over the years. My grandparents had a hotel/bar when I was young and I would run into get a free soda. I saw husbands and wives come in and the wife would have a black eye or bruises. The response, by other patrons, would be: What did she do this time! As a Nation we have grown and what was acceptable in the 1950's and 1960's is no longer acceptable today - it will even put you in jail.

Not all nations have made this transition. Although I am sure there were some nations that championed women's rights and equality long before America. However; human trafficking and the slave trade still flourish - even today. I am not trying to pick on just one religion - progress takes time and many do not call progress - progress!

Old 10-18-2017, 02:17 AM

Quote:
I understand that; but what seems simple is not always simple. Fear of the unknown sometimes is greater than the fear of what people should fear.

The attitude in our Country has changed over the years. My grandparents had a hotel/bar when I was young and I would run into get a free soda. I saw husbands and wives come in and the wife would have a black eye or bruises. The response, by other patrons, would be: What did she do this time! As a Nation we have grown and what was acceptable in the 1950's and 1960's is no longer acceptable today - it will even put you in jail.

Not all nations have made this transition. Although I am sure there were some nations that championed women's rights and equality long before America. However; human trafficking and the slave trade still flourish - even today. I am not trying to pick on just one religion - progress takes time and many do not call progress - progress!
Now we are getting into a different discussion; culture rather than religion. Many people do not progress because their culture does not change. Culture in Mecca 1450 years ago change (they stopped burying alive their female babies) because of religion. But if someone does not comply with guidance in the Qur'an, their actions can't be blamed on religion.

Old 10-18-2017, 04:24 PM

4,431 posts, read 1,649,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
How does one believe in atheism? -isn't that like saying he believes in disbelief?

Is there any proof that he was an atheist?
How about Jewish Faith?
How come it didn't stop Harvey Weinstein from abusing women? ... Ohh, it's only the Muslim men who abuse women, correct?

Old 10-19-2017, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Now we are getting into a different discussion; culture rather than religion. Many people do not progress because their culture does not change. Culture in Mecca 1450 years ago change (they stopped burying alive their female babies) because of religion. But if someone does not comply with guidance in the Qur'an, their actions can't be blamed on religion.
You might be right and this might be a 'culture' rather than a religious question? You hinted that your "Islamic Centres" have changed for the worst. With Christianity we have this 'Godfather' notion that you can be a criminal monster, but if you make the right donations; you are an upstanding member of the church.

From this link (What Churches Can Do to Address Domestic Abuse - Christian Marriage Help and Advice) I also feel that our religious leaders (I quote) "Churches have an opportunity to be at the forefront of intervention and prevention of abuse! Pastors and church leaders may be the first to hear about abuse or identify a victim. Not only can they help the victim access help, safety, and resources, but leaders can hold men accountable for changing abusive and controlling types of behavior."

I also understand that Muslim women do have some religious support here in the US and Canada: https://www.facebook.com/notes/asmaa...1218951311672/.

While I am not religious; I do believe in the Golden Rule "do unto others as you would have them do unto you". If I can help; I like to help and that is why I have asked these questions.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:55 AM

17,197 posts, read 13,747,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
How about Jewish Faith?
How come it didn't stop Harvey Weinstein from abusing women? ... Ohh, it's only the Muslim men who abuse women, correct?
Not sure what your point is regarding Jews and Harvey Weinstein -something lost in translation perhaps?

Do you have proof that Stephen Paddock is an atheist? There doesn't seem to be anything on the internet that confirms that. You're really just playing the old game of pointing fingers at an entire group, based on rumour and unsubstantiated claims -that's either dishonest, or lazy, and is not the action of a responsible citizen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or