U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2017, 01:33 PM

693 posts, read 384,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Name a single verse in the Bible that prohibits polygamy. The Book of Timothy in the Bible only prohibits it for clergy.

From a Christian site: "Is there a law in the Bible that prohibits polygamy? No. There is no such law found in the Bible. And where polygamous relationships are noted, there is nothing negative said about this form of marriage. However, there are many laws noted in scripture that regulate the polygamous marriage and there are also many scriptures that clearly show that polygamy does not violate God's law."

SOURCE-----Polygamy
The thread isn't about bible or christianity. But ok, let's talk about it.
The site you took is probably from a sect like jeovah witness or something like that.

The bible is more subtil than the coran.
But here:

Matthew 19:4-6
4 “Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’
5 and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh
6 So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 01:53 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,274,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citoyen View Post
The site you took is probably from a sect like jeovah witness or something like that.

But here:

4 “Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’
5 and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh
6 So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”
How does that prohibit polygamy? or even speak against it. Where in the Bible is there any punishment mentioned for polygamy? No where does the Bible condemn polygamy.

I live a monogamous life simply because polygamy does not appeal to me. It is not for everyone. Most Muslim men can not meet the requirements demanded for taking more than one wife.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 10-29-2017, 02:06 PM

3,166 posts, read 1,036,278 times
Quote:

But here:

That is about not divorcing your wife except for sexual immorality rather than how many wives. There is no prohibition in Christianity on marrying two women and all becoming one flesh.

Old 10-29-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
How does that prohibit polygamy? or even speak against it. Where in the Bible is there any punishment mentioned for polygamy? No where does the Bible condemn polygamy.
Exactly!

Quote:
I live a monogamous life simply because polygamy does not appeal to me. It is not for everyone. Most Muslim men can not meet the requirements demanded for taking more than one wife.
These Islam pundits arguing with us here haven't a clue about marriage in Islam according to the Qur'an.

I also have married only one woman in my life; my present wife. There is a condition in the Qur'an for marrying more than one wife or else "ONLY ONE". A vast majority of Muslims today can not meet the condition. So it is ONLY ONE wife for them all.

The non-muslim pundits are not going to know of that, are they?

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-30-2017 at 06:34 AM.. Reason: 2nd Quote was erroreously attributed

Old 10-29-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
That is about not divorcing your wife except for sexual immorality rather than how many wives. There is no prohibition in Christianity on marrying two women and all becoming one flesh.
Wife is single. The way it's written show it's a man and a woman who become one.
The two of them, not the three, not the four...

Genesis 2:22-24 The LORD God fashioned into a woman the rib which He had taken from the man, and brought her to the man. The man said, "This is now bone of my bones, And flesh of my flesh; She shall be called Woman, Because she was taken out of Man." For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh.

That's just one wife. It's clear.

Quote:
Obviously bible is far deeper than coran, it's not just a simple law text who said "if you do X you will be punish by Y". Or who explain how you should go to toilet.
There is no need of a condemnation.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Wife is single. The way it's written show it's a man and a woman who become one.
The two of them, not the three, not the four...
Each wife is single, not two, three or four. Where is prohibition in the Bible for two, three or four wives?

Quote:
Genesis 2:22-24 The LORD God fashioned into a woman the rib which He had taken from the man, and brought her to the man. The man said, "This is now bone of my bones, And flesh of my flesh; She shall be called Woman, Because she was taken out of Man." For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh.
That was Adams own flesh. That's how they were one flesh.

Interesting that you now bring up Bible (Genesis). Did you enjoy reading about Lot's daughters having sex with their father and both conceiving (Genesis 19:32-36). And not to mention the whole genealogy being created by son and daughter of the same man marrying each other (Genesis 20:12).

How deep is that Bible?

Old 10-29-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Each wife is single, not two, three or four. Where is prohibition in the Bible for two, three or four wives?
Each wife is single?
A man go with a woman and become one. He can't go with another one after as he is one with his actual wife.
One man and one woman. You don't do it a second time, you must be faithfull to your first wooman. It's written somewhere else, I don't have link under the hand.

I feel sorry but it confirm many stuffs. You are thinking like a kid who wonder what is the sanction if he eat suggar at evening. In general parents will try to explain the kid that he won't be able to sleep and tomarrow it will be hard for him to wake up and go to school. No you, you can't go by this way, to hard intellectually, you need to know that you will be spank if you do it.
You only understand the violent way, and the law of the stronger.

Quote:
That was Adams own flesh. That's how they were one flesh.
And to be one again the man has to take a wife. He only need one to be complete, not two or three.

Quote:
Interesting that you now bring up Bible (Genesis). Did you enjoy reading about Lot's daughters having sex with their father and both conceiving (Genesis 19:32-36). And not to mention the whole genealogy being created by son and daughter of the same man marrying each other (Genesis 20:12).

How deep is that Bible?
I didn't enjoy reading the bible, I'am not christian, I only read to answear you.
I have no idea of the signification of this act.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Each wife is single?
A man go with a woman and become one. He can't go with another one after as he is one with his actual wife.
One man and one woman. You don't do it a second time, you must be faithfull to your first wooman. It's written somewhere else, I don't have link under the hand.
Then come back with facts and not argue about the subject you do not quite understand.

Quote:
I feel sorry but it confirm many stuffs. You are thinking like a kid who wonder what is the sanction if he eat suggar at evening. In general parents will try to explain the kid that he won't be able to sleep and tomarrow it will be hard for him to wake up and go to school. No you, you can't go by this way, to hard intellectually, you need to know that you will be spank if you do it.
You only understand the violent way, and the law of the stronger.
LOL! Is that what your parents have been telling you instead of brushing your teeth?

Quote:
And to be one again the man has to take a wife. He only need one to be complete, not two or three.
Is that also what your parents told you? Would a British man marrying a French woman become one British flesh or one French flesh?
How about the new law, man marrying man? Do they too become one flesh?

Quote:
I didn't enjoy reading the bible, I'am not christian, I only read to answear you.
I have no idea of the signification of this act.
Then don't argue about the Qur'an that you know very little of and sing the praises of the bible without knowing much about it. How could you regard it "deep"? Is it because it's too deep for you?

Old 10-30-2017, 06:11 AM

15,511 posts, read 13,274,304 times
Quote:

But here:

Quote:

I failed to mention hat the point is the Qur'an is the only Scripture in the 4 Abrahamic faiths that specifically limits the number of wives a man is permitted to have

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 10-30-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Then come back with facts and not argue about the subject you do not quite understand.

Exodus 20:14 "You shall not commit adultery."
Mark 10:11-12
And He said to them, "Whoever divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her; and if she herself divorces her husband and marries another man, she is committing adultery."

Don't even want to make more research...

Quote:
LOL! Is that what your parents have been telling you instead of brushing your teeth?
Moderator cut: Leave the personal remarks out. Don't you understand it's just an exemple?

Quote:
Is that also what your parents told you? Would a British man marrying a French woman become one British flesh or one French flesh?
How about the new law, man marrying man? Do they too become one flesh?
WHat is the link with the subject? I was thinking islam doesn't make difference between nations?

And which new law? Man marrying man? It's a civil/state law, not a christian law.
Moderator cut: Do not make personal attacks ...

Quote:
Then don't argue about the Qur'an that you know very little of and sing the praises of the bible without knowing much about it. How could you regard it "deep"? Is it because it's too deep for you?
You havent a single argument...

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-30-2017 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: Personal attacks removed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam